The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 08-13-2017, 02:01 AM   #1
Ninjinister
無問題

Official Discussion Topic: S5 E10 - Lone Rat and Cubs

Watching it now... actually surprised nobody's made a topic yet lol

Man, the way Splinter attacked that Kraang sentry was badass.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:09 AM   #2
Vicky82
Emperor

Sorry I woke up late

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:15 AM   #3
Ninjinister
無問題

Man Splinter's just a boss altogether in this!

And you'd think Raph would be much more phased by how his shell was broken. Even a tough baby like him should have reacted more.

But yeah, no big secrets or reveals like some people were assuming. Just... a bunch of really strong scenes of Splinter bonding with the Turtles and being a badass.

Last edited by Ninjinister; 08-13-2017 at 02:22 AM.
Ninjinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:23 AM   #4
Redworld96
Stone Warrior

I could not tell: Which turtle activated the water outlet when everyone was at the bottom of the water?
Spoiler:
Was it Donnie? Sometimes I can not recognize them
Redworld96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:55 AM   #5
Vicky82
Emperor

Oh my god!!!! that was a awesome episode, the baby turtles were adorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redworld96 View Post
I could not tell: Which turtle activated the water outlet when everyone was at the bottom of the water?
Yeah it's Donnie, he has a different shaped head

Old 08-13-2017, 03:01 AM   #6
Redworld96
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky82 View Post
Oh my god!!!! that was a awesome episode, the baby turtles were adorable.

Yeah it's Donnie, he has a different shaped head
Thanks Vicky man Donnie was really smart

I wonder if when Splinter said: "The weapons chose you", it's because all those times we saw the babies involved with their weapons (Like Mikey sucking The Nunchaku; Raph and Leo giving to Splinter a Sai and a Katana. Although I didn't see baby Donnie with a stick during the episode).
Redworld96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 03:02 AM   #7
Powder
So tired of this place

A fantastic episode. Not much else I can say, thoroughly pleased.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:17 AM   #8
THGhost
Puppet Master

Only just got round to watching this and episode 9 due to the confusing episode numbers caused by some sites classifying When Worlds Collide as either 1 episode or 2 episodes.
  • The turtles as toddlers are so cute!
  • A slightly different origin story. I like it.
  • "Written by Kevin Eastman". Awww yeah!
  • The turtles as babies are even cuter!
  • You can tell which one is Mikey ^_^
  • That Doctor Who reference was a bit on the nose.

Man, this episode really put Splinter through the ringer. It was nice to see him again, and the Kraang, and New York.

This is one of my favourite episodes of the entire series. It almost brought me to tears.

Eastman managed to write a better origin story than the recent movies did. When is Hollywood going to learn and just let him or someone else close to the franchise write the movies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redworld96 View Post
I couldn't even tell what they were doing, never mind which turtle it was.

1990 > OotS > TMNT 2014 > Turtles Forever > TMNT III > SotO > TMNT 2007

"Can't we all just get along?" - pennydreadful

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

"Act like freakin' adults for goodness sake." - Jester

"Tough guys with tiny voices." - Commenter 42
THGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:23 AM   #9
Vicky82
Emperor

Just a little thought

I know we all consider Mikey the youngest, but as Donnie didn't have any teeth and Splinter named him first, I wonder if Donnie is the youngest turtle and not Mikey.

Old 08-13-2017, 11:39 AM   #10
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Every time the Baby Turtles appeared on my TV screen I just couldn't stop smiling. They were just the cutest things. I think this was probably one of the best origin stories that I've seen in a superhero cartoon. There's no doubt that Splinter was an outstanding father figure and seeing him be so protective and loving in this episode makes me miss him even more than I did before.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:57 AM   #11
neatoman
Emperor

Pretty good episode, even if the framing device of Splinter telling a story creates a contradiction with the first two episodes.

Liked the little nod there of having the Turtles mimic Splinter as a subsitute of Splinter mimicking Yoshi.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:05 PM   #12
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
very cool episode.

it was pretty Awesome seeing Kevin Eastman on the writing credits.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:43 PM   #13
matteso586
Stone Warrior

It's about time we learn how Raph got that crack on his shell.

Without the multi colored masks, it's hard to tell which baby Turtle is which.

It appears that some of the Kraang's technology doesn't work well underground.
matteso586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 01:04 PM   #14
Vicky82
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteso586 View Post
Without the multi colored masks, it's hard to tell which baby Turtle is which.
At first it was confusing but the way I figured it out, got easy for me.

Mikey and Donnie are both light green, Mikey has the freckles and Donnie has a different shaped head.

Leo and Raph was a bit harder, they are darker but Raph is more darker than Leo and he has the evil face look sometimes. Then Raph had the chip in the plastron and it got more easy to tell them apart.

This is the only bit that I couldn't tell them apart

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldMutant View Post
Man, with listening to a clip of the younger Turtles, it does feel weird with Seth Green being there instead of Jason Briggs. I know the vocal change was explained in season 3, but for young Leo, it feels weird to me despite being used to his voice now.

Reviewing this soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
They can't really ditch Green and ask Biggs back for the episode though.
Last year Dominic (2nd Leo voice) did tweet he was voicing Leo again, so I though it was for this episode but it was Seth Green that voiced Leo.

Last edited by Vicky82; 08-13-2017 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-13-2017, 04:03 PM   #15
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Splinter

Great to have a Splinter-focused episode.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 04:58 PM   #16
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

I loved this episode to death. The baby Turtles were so cute and I think the voice actors did a great job sounding younger and pulled it off too. I always felt like the 2k3 actors were sort of forced when trying to sound younger, but the Nick cast nailed it for me. I loved how the Turtles each handled their weapons as a baby and the origin of Raph's crack in his shell. The flashback to Yoshi as his human self and of Shen and Miwa was also a nice touch to how Splinter doubts himself as a father. Loved how they got their home and their weapons at the end. Definitely one of my favorite episodes of the season and a great last appearance for Splinter.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 05:57 AM   #17
DVD
Mad Scientist

I am officially back up to speed with the TV adventures of our favorite Turtles.
I watched 4 of them back to back today.
The three parter was good fun and really well made. The environments were classy.

Then, episode 10. First thoughts: we were going to get a small filler ep. Then: written by Kevin Eastman..... and man , did he deliver. Superb episode.
DVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:04 PM   #18
victory_angel
Foot Elite

I guess Splinter's reasons for giving Donnie the Bo Staff is a good explanation to Leo yelling "Donnie, don't lose sight of who you are!" Back in "Heart of Evil"

I admit the weapons origin wasn't what I expected, but I do like how it was done. Particularly with Donnie graciously accepting his bo staff, but still saying "Oh man, it's just a stick." in disappointment. While we don't see Donnie using or interacting with the staff like we see the others do with their weapons, we do see Splinter use a broom stick as a bo staff and Splinter does call Donatello "Smart one" after he plugs in that lamp but has no pet names for the others.

Originally in one of the first fics I did of this series I had described the weapons origin as Donnie being brought out of the Dojo feeling disappointed that the only weapon to choose him was a giant stick. Raph sees it and immediately starts teasing his brother about how he got the most useless weapon ever. Splinter then demonstrates what the Bo Staff was capable of, which impresses Leo, Raph, and Mikey. But Raph still points out that Donnie isn't the most effective fighter which causes Donatello to go running in the direction of the dorms in tears.

A year or so ago a person on FF.Net emailed me about that scene and said they had come up with part of a fic expanding on that moment and they wanted to see what I would do with it. So I looked it over and I came up with how I believed the Weapons Origin could have gone. In that fic I wrote that the Turtles were about 10 years old when they received their weapons. Splinter summons each Turtle one at a time into the Dojo starting with Leo, Raph, and Mikey. Their weapons are found almost instantaneously because they knew which ones called them. Donnie on the other hand was wanting a cool weapon because his brothers often tease him about being a weaker fighter, so he was wanting something to show he was just as capable as everyone else. When he's called into the Dojo, much like April's weapon search he tries several weapons and doesn't find one that wants him. After a bit, Splinter then says "Perhaps you are looking at the wrong sort of weapons, my son." Before picking up the Bo Staff and suggesting that he try it out. Donnie tries it out with some reluctance, and when he sees it's responding to him he tries to figure think of ways to prove it wasn't such as messing up on purpose. But ultimately accepts that this is the one that felt was meant to be his.

Last edited by victory_angel; 08-13-2017 at 12:54 PM.
victory_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:32 AM   #19
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Also, just a little side-note, did anyone find it odd that the episode didn't start with the present day turtles talking about their past and establishing the scene?

If it weren't for the theme song and I was shown this episode without having watched the Nick show, I wouldve thought this was the 1st episode of the series. Heck, Anyone who plans the marathons the show in the future could start with this episode instead of the season 1 premiere.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:06 AM   #20
Enscripture
Hench Mutant

Watched this one the Rise of the Turtles. Doesnt seem to be any continuity errors watching this as the 1st episode. All Splinter says about the Kraang is angrily "And you Let them get away?!"
Enscripture is offline   Reply With Quote