The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 11-27-2013, 02:36 PM   #21
Red Mask
Random Punk

I liked the stuff with Casey and his dad, and I liked the last few panels. This wasn't one of my favorites though,
Spoiler:
the fight with Bebop and Rocksteady was a bit of a letdown for me. Overall I liked City Fall, most the issues were very good and a couple were great. This last issue was done well enough, but personally, I think the arc wrapped up without much of the weight or consequences that the first few CF issues seemed to foreshadow. Leo didn't really do anything except hang out with the Foot for awhile, maybe I wanted him to do something he'd really have to wrestle with morally. But maybe turning on his family is enough, and I am interested to see how he'll act in the next arc. This issue is a good set-up for Northampton and for Shredder being a powerful bad-guy, but I guess I was hoping something...unexpected would happen?

But that's me judging it for what I want it to be, which may not be fair. Judging it for what it IS, CF is a really good arc (with alot of momentum- I can't wait to read it all at once!) in a really good book. I'm real glad it's out there- lookin forward to Northampton!
Red Mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:38 PM   #22
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I've been buying and skimming the past couple months. Does anyone actually die in "City Fall"?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:43 PM   #23
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Spoiler:
Aside from the leader of the Savate...I dunna. Have yet to read the last issue.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:02 PM   #24
Lord Nightwalker
Stone Warrior

Enjoyed the issue tremendously. I'm not going to nit pick the little things, but enjoy it as a whole, That's why I am re reading the issues back to back later tonight for a feel of the story arc. Really dug those last few panels.That was kind of an " I knew it!" moment. lol.

I was hoping that Casey would have chided his father for aiding the creep who put him in the hospital, but hey! who knows what the future holds! I am looking forward to future story lines.
Lord Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:04 PM   #25
Red Mask
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I've been buying and skimming the past couple months. Does anyone actually die in "City Fall"?
Spoiler:
Victor...and Victor kills one of his own. Also I think Karai kills a couple Savates. That's all I recall, no main characters bite it. Some people get wounded, so it's not without violence, but not much death.
Red Mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 05:35 PM   #26
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
The Savate leader and random nameless Savates and Foot throughout the series. But I know what you really want to know, none of them die by the Turtles' hands, not even evil Leo.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 05:53 PM   #27
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Here's my full review of TMNT #28 at TMNT Entity

It's a long review as I had a bit to say about this arc as a whole.

To summarize, while Dark Leo fell flat for me, it was an exciting and bombastic event with some gorgeous art all the way through. I do, however, think the Villain Micro chapters are essential, not just to the plot, but to the characters. I know they won't be included in the trades and that's a tad problematic. But as someone who read the whole shebang, I thought most of it paid off.

Just not Dark Leo. Sorry, guys.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 05:54 PM   #28
Veg
Random Punk

I roared with laughter when it took a god damn
Spoiler:
GRENADE
to slow down Bebop and Rocksteady.
Veg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:11 PM   #29
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Veg, I like to think that Hob pulled it off of Bebop's vest. I laughed at that possibility. I also wonder what Shredder would have said to Bebop,Rocksteady, and Arnold Sr. Before he spoke to Karai.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:45 PM   #30
Desslok
Hench Mutant

I enjoyed it. I love how it pulled all the stories that have been going on for the past few months and brought them together in such an explosive manner.

Spoiler:
The Bebop and Rocksteady fight was pretty good IMO. While there could have been a bit more to it, It's pretty clear that the turtles are heavily outgunned compared to these "secret weapons." I also appreciate that they have so much personality, that's what made them fun in the OT and I'm enjoying it here.

And man, Hob is such a fun badass.

I loved it when he lobbed that grenade at Rocksteady and Bebop.

Watch Episodes | Latest Updates | More Fun
Desslok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:48 PM   #31
AquaParade
Banned

I'd like to echo Dr. Spangler's statement that it was a fun event, despite "Dark Leo" falling flat.

Earlier issues shined brightest when focused on moral bouts, such as Leonardo and Donatello's disagreements concerning the importance of searching for Raphael, as well as friction regarding whether or not to Spare enemies while endangering their family.
I thought "Dark Leo" would pack a punch of ethical dilemma's along with some meaty revelation's dealing with Saki and Yoshi's checkered past. There is obviously still room for the Dark Leo plot line to spread into something more meaningful, but it's probably taken up enough of our time as is.

Positively, the art was freakin fanstastic in this issue - if only Mateus 's rendition of Mikey wasn't so...baby'ish.

I'll report back once I've read the arc as a whole, but I can't say at this point that the story did much for me. It was well told, as complimented by the art, and had some nice beats - Raph and Casey being jumped by the foot and the Foot Clan ambush on the Savati were both pretty fun! Also, Old Hob is a blast to be around. Unfortunately, this drawn out arc didn't leave me with any potent feeling.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:56 PM   #32
corvus
Stone Warrior

You absolutely have to read the Karai, Hun and Alopex micros to get this arc.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:26 PM   #33
ToTheNines
[sic]

Nothing super crazy happened, but it was a good arc. Obviously B&R weren't going to kill the turtles, so that fight had no chance of being as fun as the murder spree that was their micro.

Hob and Slash were awesome, obviously digging Slash's look by the end

I really liked Karai's arc, I'm glad Shredder won't be treating her like sh*t anymore. Alopex though, I feel like everyone knew that was going to happen. I'm glad they didn't just let that plot point stew for months and months like they usually do (I'm annoyed that Casey brought up the fact that Shredder stabbed him, but didn't finish up and tell Hun), but at the same time it would have been a little more shocking if she turned on him in a more unexpected situation.

I also agree about the whole Dark Leo thing. I liked Shredder's scheme behind it, mainly the idea that he was going to use him to get to Splinter, but it was too convenient that he didn't kill anyone. This book gets pretty violent, they need to quit pulling punches with the Turtles. Could be a Viacom restriction though, I don't know.

Either way, I like the book and it keeps me driving that hour round trip at least once a month. Can't wait for Northampton and Conspiracy!
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:26 PM   #34
Rooish
Devil's Advocate

Excellent issue. I was really pleased with the multiple female characters bursting in to save the day (either for Shredder or for the good guys): first Karai last issue, then April, Angel to a minor extent, and Alopex! (Although Bebop/Rocksteady, Hob sort of, and Slash had bursting in moments, too.) Finally the female characters in the series are becoming less bland, although I agree that the Micros were really required to add depth and characterization to City Fall.

I liked the fight with Bebop and Rocksteady and love Santolouco's rendition of them, but I did think their dialogue was sort of lame. Also anytime someone calls someone else a "fool," you lose me. Why did people not like the fight?

Alopex's attack of Shredder was awesome and actually kind of emotional, I thought.

When did Hob become like the best character in this series? Love him. But I did notice that the actual turtles lost a lot of characterization in such a busy action-packed plot.

It still bothers me that Santolouco draws every character amazingly except the Turtles. Namely Don and Mike, but I also miss Duncan's milder version of Raph (which did look the same as all the other Turtles, but I prefer the same to wildly disparate). I wonder how much the art has changed the characterization of the Turtles? Raph acts rougher, Don milder, and Mike more childish than when Duncan and Bates drew it. It's annoying. When I read the comics I don't want kid Mike all over again.

And what is with that god damned buck tooth?
Can someone besides me please protest this?

Also--why does no one tell Hun that Shredder stabbed Casey? Why didn't Angel?? Why didn't Casey?? I mean they can see he's working for Shredder!

I agree with DrSpengler's analysis of Dark Leo to an extent, although I think he did enough to make himself feel pretty tortured and guilty. He served and looked up to Shredder, who killed his whole family in the past. He was an accomplice to a lot of killing and to Shredder becoming "in control" of the city. He didn't just attack his family, but he spoke hatefully to them. Also, he is a control freak who probably thought he had control of his mind until this point. As anyone who has had a psychotic break could tell you, losing control of your mind assaults your very core of being. Leo also had a bunch of visions of his dead mother. I can see him being a bit traumatized. Loved his closure moment with Slash.

At first I was a bit annoyed that Raph, of all people, brought Leo back. Raph and Leo do not have the rivalry-bromance in this series yet. But then I remembered how Don and Mikey told Raph that Leo was the only one who held out hope that Raph was alive (besides Splinter). So maybe that really triggered Raph's loyalty. Also--Raph admitted that Leo would beat him in a fight normally?? I'm glad that this version of Raph has less of his trademark ego so far.

I am glad so many plot threads have been tied up with City Fall, leaving room, I hope, for more characterization again. It was an absolutely action packed and cinematic story. The Turtles have been through so much and I can't wait for the Northampton "breather."

I was really happy for Karai! I kind of forget why people think this Karai is pure evil and psychopathic. Can someone explain?

As for Shredder's reasoning on why he brainwashed Leo--well, at least he, and everyone else in the series, has motivations that are taken to account and kept hidden until the perfect moment. That's cool.

Last edited by Rooish; 11-27-2013 at 07:41 PM.
Rooish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:57 PM   #35
MikLeo
Thug

I feel Shredder was lying to Karai, he wasn't testing her.
MikLeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:23 PM   #36
Casey
Stone Warrior

I like how we see the turtles really struggle to hold their own once again. They aren't quite superheros yet. Northampton will probably give them the time they need to heal and learn to work better as a team. They're gonna have to do something to take on The Shredder - not to mention Bebop and Rocksteady. I hate to say it, but I wouldn't have minded that grenade killing those two off. I love that they were brought into the mix, but I've had enough. They're a little too much at times.

Loved the issue though and I enjoyed the arc as a whole. I'd like to echo the remarks about Dark Leo and the necessity to read the micros.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:48 PM   #37
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Spoiler:
There was some letdown elements in this whole story arch- but to me, Rocksteady and Bebop were definitely NOT IT. These versions are definitely NOT the jokes they're OT selves were, despite being almost as dumb. In their micro they KILLED a whole platoon of foot soldiers that Karai ordered to kill them- that is a whole group of trained ninjas, mind you, against the OT's two 'dumb thugs'. AND they defeated the turtles and Splinter- it took April's magic punchy gloves and a freakin' GRENADE to even slow them down enough for the turtles to escape. I for one hope these two stick around, and we see more of them.

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:54 PM   #38
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
I like how we see the turtles really struggle to hold their own once again. They aren't quite superheros yet.
If they ever quite become that, I will officially hold no interest in the future of the book. But I don't think that's the plan at all.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:12 PM   #39
pingclang
Stone Warrior

I just finished it and have to say, I liked it. I didn't love it, but it was good. Am I the only one who felt like it was a huge build-up to a "meh" ending? I had expected more, it wasn't bad, I just felt like it was gonna be a huge ending.
pingclang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:01 AM   #40
Dirty Blond
Stone Warrior

You can totally tell Shredder read The 48 Laws of Power.

Also, Karai can be my chunin any day.

Dirty Blond is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
city fall, tom waltz