The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 01-13-2019, 12:28 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

How would you feel about a hypothetical TMNT anime series?

I feel that, the faintest chance we have of getting a TV-14 animated TMNT series would be by letting the Japanese handle it. Anime is a medium that has a much wider selection of series aimed at older audiences than American animation does.

Tbh, TMNT already has some core Japanese stuff in it, as we all know. So it's not like it'd be TOO strange for a Japanese anime to be made out of the property, know what I mean?

Yes, there was that OVA based on the FW series which was... bizarre. But haven't they made a few anime based on Marvel characters this decade? I haven't seen them, so I have no clue how well(or badly) they've turned out. But it'd be interesting to see them take a shot at TMNT.

I'd be open to the idea, but I have a feeling the Turtles would have special powers and such like in the anime OVA and the Ninja Tribunal season. And perhaps even transformations... which isn't really something I'd like to see. But on the other hand, I'm sure a TMNT anime would be more likely to be aimed at an older audience or at least have more "edge" to it. Anime/manga like DBZ, One Piece, Naruto which is/was very popular with kids in Japan all had more violence than your average American cartoon aimed at kids.

As for if it'd be faithful to Mirage, well they'd probably adapt some issues but also would add some original stuff to it.

So yeah, this might be an unpopular opinion, but at this point, I think Japan is the only hope for us to get a more mature TMNT animated series. That doesn't mean it'd actually turn out that way, but I'd be open to the idea, despite some fears as well.

Thoughts?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 01:17 PM   #2
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I feel that, the faintest chance we have of getting a TV-14 animated TMNT series would be by letting the Japanese handle it.

Really really not a fan of anime character design and animation style and tone...

At best I can appreciate the level of art detail some of it has. That part is better than a lot of this flat, simplified nonsense these days.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 01:35 PM   #3
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Ya mean, 4Kids Season 5? Hated it then. Probably wouldn't like a new anime-inspired take now.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:07 PM   #4
Dejablue
Stone Warrior

I'd like it if it is made by an actual Japanese studio (at least the animation) and the writing is still done by westerners. If an American is writing the script and working in tandem with a Japanese animation studio, we can keep some of the more annoying anime tropes out but retain all of the pluses. Anime has the ability to be very beautiful,detailed and fluid. Get the right team and you could make a kick ass TMNT anime.

^^^^
SHELLHEADS Inc.- A TMNT Discord!
Dejablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 02:19 PM   #5
newfan
Mad Scientist

Visually it wouldn't be my first choice.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 02:47 PM   #6
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
I'd be open to the idea, but I have a feeling the Turtles would have special powers and such like in the anime OVA and the Ninja Tribunal season. And perhaps even transformations... which isn't really something I'd like to see.
I know there were some manga comics, but I don't know much about them.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 02:57 PM   #7
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

While I would always prefer tmnt to be based in American culture, I would absolutely love to see an anime take on the series. Set in Tokyo maybe.

In terms of what we have, The Nick series has the most anime elements out of all the shows. (like the turtles having exaggeratted expressions at times, for example).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejablue View Post
I'd like it if it is made by an actual Japanese studio (at least the animation) and the writing is still done by westerners. If an American is writing the script and working in tandem with a Japanese animation studio, we can keep some of the more annoying anime tropes out but retain all of the pluses. Anime has the ability to be very beautiful,detailed and fluid. Get the right team and you could make a kick ass TMNT anime.
This is basically the first five episodes of the Original Toon being animated by Toei. The mixing of Japanese animation in a purely American show is something I absolutely adore, and I wish there were more Original Cartoon episodes animated by Toei. (Some similar looking episodes in season 3, but the actual animation studios are unclear).

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 01-13-2019 at 03:03 PM.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 03:17 PM   #8
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Set in Tokyo maybe.
Wouldn't that remove the international relocation between East and West?
Old 01-14-2019, 09:40 AM   #9
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post

This is basically the first five episodes of the Original Toon being animated by Toei. The mixing of Japanese animation in a purely American show is something I absolutely adore, and I wish there were more Original Cartoon episodes animated by Toei. (Some similar looking episodes in season 3, but the actual animation studios are unclear).
I liked the animation by Toei as well. I’m not a big fan of anime, but I’d be open to a TMNT anime series alright. Thought the OVA was decent enough, though I’ve only watched the fan dubbed version.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 12:43 PM   #10
Overlord

Quote:
Anime is a medium that has a much wider selection of series aimed at older audiences than American animation does.
The problem is many people in western countries are stuck around 1973, and can't imagine anything beyond: Cartoons = What children watch over television on Saturday mornings, usually produced by Hanna-Barbera Studios.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:26 AM   #11
sdp
-

I want a full TMNT anime based on the OVAs
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 11:31 AM   #12
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I want a full TMNT anime based on the OVAs
Do you mean full continuation of those episodes, or a reboot in the same style?
Old 01-15-2019, 12:07 PM   #13
oldmanwinters
Overlord

So long as it remains hypothetical, I'm cool with it.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:33 PM   #14
CyberCubed
Overlord

These days a TMNT anime could be anything, a lot of anime looks like western animation. The days of anime being stereotyped as old 90's power up stuff or chibi stuff is kinda over. Nowadays anime is so broad it could look like anything.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 05:01 PM   #15
Kamekichi
Random Punk

I've honestly have never seen a Western property do well when it was turned into an anime.

The recent one of mind is Batman Ninja and while it was neat, it was overall a bad movie.

The only way I can see it working is if it was only animated in Japan (which I believe is often shipped off to Korea now anyway), while written West side.
Kamekichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:26 PM   #16
dragonside
Hench Mutant

I'd like to see TMNT anime shorts. Kind of like Batman Gotham Knight.
dragonside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:55 AM   #17
Wesley
Mad Scientist

I thought the animeseque cutscenes from the TMNT 2 Battle Nexus video game looked good. Animation like that would be great.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:18 PM   #18
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
I thought the animeseque cutscenes from the TMNT 2 Battle Nexus video game looked good. Animation like that would be great.
I used to think I had missed a few episodes thanks to those. When I found out Slashuur wasn't in the cartoon series I was a bit disappointed.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:41 PM   #19
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I used to think I had missed a few episodes thanks to those. When I found out Slashuur wasn't in the cartoon series I was a bit disappointed.
I only saw a few episodes here and there of seasons one and two when the 2003 series aired in Ireland (it was placed in a bad time slot on Wednesday afternoons at around 2.30pm), so I didn’t know how different the game’s cutscenes were at that time.

Slashuur was cool. Shame he wasn’t used again.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:45 PM   #20
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
I only saw a few episodes here and there of seasons one and two when the 2003 series aired in Ireland (it was placed in a bad time slot on Wednesday afternoons at around 2.30pm), so I didn’t know how different the game’s cutscenes were at that time.

Slashuur was cool. Shame he wasn’t used again.
Same here as far as which cutscenes were real or fake. I was only 14 at the time as well.

It was an interesting case of a character that was playable in a TMNT game but exclusive of that game. He hasn't showed up in any other TMNT version afaik.