The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 07-31-2016, 06:36 PM   #1
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Would the 1990 film work for today's kids?

What the title says. Give your reasons why/why not. For those of you who have children and have shown them the film, what did they think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:07 PM   #2
slingtheory
Stone Warrior

I think it would.I consider that film to be an almost perfect distillation of what the tmnt were and still are. I'd even go as far as saying it might even play better to kids today than it should've with us back in the day since the recent material of the last decade and up hasn't been shy about includin the mirage element's we had no exposure to

Last edited by slingtheory; 07-31-2016 at 07:14 PM.
slingtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:49 PM   #3
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

I think kids would still like it – they tend to take things at face value. Adult children however… “Their lips don’t synch perfectly to the words they’re saying!? Worst movie since Battlefield Earth!!” #SplinterSoRacist
Old 07-31-2016, 10:51 PM   #4
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Part of me wants to do an edit of the movie, digitally fix a lot of the lip-synchings, color correct it a little different, and play with a couple of other things (a black and white version where the only colors are, #1, their red bandannas, and #2, any blood is one thing I'd consider, or just digitally changing all the bandannas to red).

Maybe when I get my new rig and a bit of spare time.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 11:10 PM   #5
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Id definetly day yes. And Id also say that it would work better than any othere turtles film, i consider the 1990 version to be the best and most definitive tmnt movie of all.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 11:48 PM   #6
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

Also stepping in here to say that yes the old TMNT film could still work among the kiddies of today despite its minor puppetry flaws. They might think it would be great to see a movie that isn't CGI generated.

~ John Adams
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 12:20 AM   #7
CyberCubed
Overlord

The young kids of today might be confused about Danny's "Sony Walkman" as well as April's 80's/90's hairstyle, but other than that it should be fine.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:34 AM   #8
Longview01
Foot Soldier

My 4 year old loves the first 2 films

She was pretty bored by the 2014 film but she really enjoyed the 2nd one when I took her to the cinema to watch it
Old 08-01-2016, 05:15 AM   #9
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longview01 View Post
My 4 year old loves the first 2 films

She was pretty bored by the 2014 film but she really enjoyed the 2nd one when I took her to the cinema to watch it
Was bored by TMNT 2014 movie...Has nothing to do with be 4 years old.

I like how its specifically with that movie. Im not defending it and I have not seen Out of the Shadows but that just made me laugh.

How is this even a legitimate gauge on what she thinks of any of these movies? She's 4. A toddler's attention must go through various ups and downs in a day. If she was bored it was probably because she wanted to do something else.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:16 AM   #10
Etsyturtle2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The young kids of today might be confused about Danny's "Sony Walkman" as well as April's 80's/90's hairstyle, but other than that it should be fine.
No, they wouldn't.
Etsyturtle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 11:12 AM   #11
Longview01
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
Was bored by TMNT 2014 movie...Has nothing to do with be 4 years old.

I like how its specifically with that movie. Im not defending it and I have not seen Out of the Shadows but that just made me laugh.

How is this even a legitimate gauge on what she thinks of any of these movies? She's 4. A toddler's attention must go through various ups and downs in a day. If she was bored it was probably because she wanted to do something else.
I spend enough time with her and watch enough films with her to get a decent idea of her reaction to films, I think I know my own child
Old 08-01-2016, 12:57 PM   #12
thundermaster612
Mad Scientist

Can 2015 Kopaka's shield make a good Lava Board for Tahu?
NO.
Kids today think that screaming those dumbass things called vines out loud in public like a literal asylum escapee is cool. They would probably get a seizure from seeing the live action turtles because they are so dumb. And I do mean seizure. How the **** am I even in this generation as a kid?
Old 08-01-2016, 01:23 PM   #13
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundermaster612 View Post
NO.
Kids today think that screaming those dumbass things called vines out loud in public like a literal asylum escapee is cool. They would probably get a seizure from seeing the live action turtles because they are so dumb. And I do mean seizure. How the **** am I even in this generation as a kid?
Le wrung generashun amirite?
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 04:38 PM   #14
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundermaster612 View Post
I'm probably the only person here who knows what that means.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 05:16 PM   #15
Mew
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkeletonMan939 View Post
I'm probably the only person here who knows what that means.
It's a Bionicle reference. I used to collect them and followed the new series.

I'm 14 and watched the movie a bunch when I was younger. Loved it a lot after I wasn't scared by the Movie 3 TMNT.
Mew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 10:22 PM   #16
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longview01 View Post
I spend enough time with her and watch enough films with her to get a decent idea of her reaction to films, I think I know my own child
Well I didn't mean anything personal its just I can barely remember anything I was into at 4 or 5 years old that I still like today. I can only think of maybe 3 or 4 things.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:30 PM   #17
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Depends how young they are. The overabundance of dated slang will make some kids roll their eyes and ask you if you really talked like that when you were their age.

Come to think of it... other than maybe 'dude', noone I ever met really talked like they did unless you were purposely imitating the turtles. The only other person at the time to say cowabubga was Bart Simpson.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:39 AM   #18
pferreira
Foot Elite

If they made this movie today they'd need to show the kids stealing boxes of iphones or something like that.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 06:44 AM   #19
Katie
Just...way too serious.

It would fail miserably.

Everyone would spend too much time discussing the Rotten Tomatoes score and would go in expecting a pile of crap movie, fixate on all the weird production flaws like being able to see the guy inside Donatello, and then discuss it at length on the internet.

People would stay away based on the terrible word of mouth.

Its pretty much how every movie like this goes these days.
Old 08-06-2016, 09:31 AM   #20
Technogeek29
Mad Scientist

Watch it with younger cousins not too long ago. Only thing they really commented on was the swearing thinking it was cool. So more or less our reactions at the time.

Tags
1990 film