The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 07-08-2017, 05:48 PM   #461
CyberCubed
Overlord

The actor has a lot of baby fat in his face, he could honestly pass for a 16-17 year old (which I guess he was in the movie, lol). When people age through their 20's they lose the baby fat and look physically older even if it's only a few years.

A good example is to compare Mark Hammil's Luke in Episode 4 and then compare him to Episode 6, he looked physically aged throughout the films even though they all came out only a few years apart.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 05:56 PM   #462
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
In the comics, there were two versions of
Spoiler:
The Shocker
By that do you mean The Ultimate version? I know ASM up to the Clone Saga backwards and forwards,but Ultimate not so much. Was this their way of including both? Was the surviving one Herman or some other name?

Also Cubed, I looked exactly the same at 20 that I did later on at 24 so do not assume.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:07 PM   #463
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
By that do you mean The Ultimate version? I know ASM up to the Clone Saga backwards and forwards,but Ultimate not so much. Was this their way of including both? Was the surviving one Herman or some other name?

Also Cubed, I looked exactly the same at 20 that I did later on at 24 so do not assume.
To my knowledge, there was only one Shocker in the Ultimate Comics. That of course was good old Herman. However, Shocker was primarily a joke character who always got his butt kicked by Spider-Man whenever he appeared in different ways. The only success he had was the issue "The Worst Day in Peter Parker's Life" where he actually captured and tortured Spider-Man, but then he lost to Kitty Pryde and Mary Jane. (I may be wrong on MJ, it's been a while)

I know in the Spectacular Spider-Man show that Greg Weisman made an executive decision to put Montana in the role of Shocker instead.

Spoiler:
Unless there's something in the main comics about Montana, it seems they pulled Montana's role as Shocker from Spectacular as well as Herman from what I've heard.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:20 PM   #464
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

It wouldn't be the first time the films stole an idea from that magnificent show. Electro's origin in ASM2 is uncannily similar to his origin in Spectacular.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 06:35 PM   #465
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutch View Post
Yeah, I'm with Shark Blade on this. The purpose of the Aunt May is to serve as a moral compass for Peter as well as kind of have an ear to the ground to how she (i.e. the people) perceives Spider-Man.

Sure, you lose some of the vulnerability that comes with age (Something tells me she's not going to have a hard time finding a romantic partner looking the way she does.) but her foremost defining trait is to be a shoulder to lean on to air grievances and get sound advice. This May is still that.

Spoiler:
Again, this is kind of why I'm okay with this change but not okay with the MJ change.

My issue with it is that throughout her history, May has NEVER been a "young vibrant" type of mother figure. Maybe I'm a bit of a purist, but they obvioysly missed the real core of her character. For one thing, she was never intended as someone for other characters to be drool over, nor was she a romantic prospect (except one incident with Doc Ock but that was more because he wanted to get access to a nuclear plant she somehow inherited. He just happened to end up growing fond of her later on.) She IS the wise older mother figure, and it is canon that both she and Ben were quite a bit older than Peter's father(Ben was his older brother) and mother. Part of why he kept the secret for so long was out of fear that the knowledge might literally kill her. As in heart attack territory. That is a BIG deal and not something that should be changed lightly in the name of making a few jokes about the "hot aunt"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
Marisa Tomei is over 50, she's a fine pick as Aunt May for a High-Schooler Spidey. Aunt May in the comics are so often comically depicted as ancient, like Gil Kane's depiction of May is a living skeleton

MCU takes a lot of cues from the little good there is from the Ultimate Comics, and Aunt May is a lot younger and spunkier in that universe compared to the 616 Crypt Keeper.

See above for why this was a BAD idea. Sally was the lowest end of where they should have gone with that. Spunky is fine but let's be honest, this May was more eye-candy for older guys than she was mentor or moral compass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkeletonMan939 View Post
Saw it yesterday.

Spoiler:
Parker is hollowed out to be any cookie-cutter start-up hero trying to impress the big boys. Rather than doing what he does to make sure his powers are used for the greater good, following the words of Uncle Ben (who, by the way, is not mentioned in the film in any capacity), Spidey just wants to be an Avenger for the glory. Replacing Ben as the father figure is Stark, a man of relatively low character who is motivated by guilt more often than not.

Spider-Man's world of rich characters is compartmentalized amid all the Tony Stark nonsense and so much is lost as a result. The Daily Bugle's potential in future installments is effectively decimated by taking Ned Leeds and Betty Brant and making them high-schoolers. MJ Watson's name is wasted on the useless character of Michelle who has absolutely no impact on the film. As others said, you can forget about Aunt May being a wise old woman, as more time is spent watching others compliment her hot bod. The writers only seem to know Spider-Man as the guy who shoots webs and nothing more. Very disappointing for anyone anticipating a real Spidey tale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turo602 View Post
I agree 100%, you summed it up perfectly. It felt like an average MCU movie so it was at least an enjoyable ride, but as a Spider-Man fan, it's just so disappointing.

Spoiler:
About Uncle Ben, I was very upset that they never mentioned him or that Peter never threw his words at Stark's face. Even in that one scene when Aunt May and Peter are trying to tie a tie, they don't mention how they wish Ben was still with them. He's just completely forgotten because a couple of cry babies whined about seeing him die over and over so now they refuse to acknowledge him. The problem wasn't Uncle Ben dying, the problem was doing yet another origin film. They didn't even make Harry Peter's best friend because guess what, we've seen him before. There's nothing wrong with using Harry again, just ignore the whole Goblin drama and problem solved. I also hated the unnecessarily techy Spider-Man suit. If Stark had just implemented different web-shooter combinations, spider-tracers, and the spider-light thingy, that'd be completely fine. But adding an A.I. and all that other bullsh*t was just overkill. He might as well just be wearing an Iron Man suit.

Agreed on all counts.
Spoiler:
The AI was a bit much, and fits better in the Iron Spider suit. Which is what he should have worn in Civil War if we were being comic-faithful. I was a bit stymied by the lack of Harry, or the changes made to Ned and Flash among others. (Was he even a football player? He's supposed to be the popular jerky jock who bullies and harrasses Peter. Yet he was reduced to a mild rival on the Decathelon team. WTF??!!) "M-J" was the most confusing. She's a completely different character; why bother?!

I was also upset by the complete lack of mention of Uncle Ben. He was the whole reason Peter became Spider-Man, yet Civil War made more reference to it than this did. I was surprised that Peter did not bring that up to Tony. And a bit disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie View Post
I'll third this. I liked about 50% of the movie. It felt like the same old MCU movie that I'm getting bored with.

I like the kid playing Spider-Man, and the novice superhero trying to figure it out was ok, but damn I'm over all the jokes and quirky moments in the MCU. It takes away from the story for me. Perfect example for me: that bathroom scene. Good lord that was unecessary and deflated a heartwarming scene for me.

Oh well. I guess if you like the MCU style, you'll like this too. I wanted a Spider-Man movie....not more of the same old same old.

I liked it better than the two Amazing movies, but it had so many departures from characters we know, that it felt like the names were just tacked on. And yeah some of the humor blunted otherwise heartfelt scenes. Also- a bit too much Tony and Happy.

Quote:
Saw it today and loved it, I love that the After Credit Scene
Spoiler:
trolls the audience that stay after the credits.

That was pretty funny! Glad I actually stayed even though it was pretty blatant.

Quote:
I took it as the clean up from the first Iron Man film instead of the Avengers first film to adjust to the timeline. Not knowing much about Iron Man, did that thing with Pepper happen in the comics?

Nope it was from Avengers. They were cleaning up the mess from the Chitauri invasion. They even showed part of one of those big dragon things.

Quote:
By that do you mean The Ultimate version? I know ASM up to the Clone Saga backwards and forwards, but Ultimate not so much. Was this their way of including both? Was the surviving one Herman or some other name?

The second one was Herman. It even said so in the credits. I did like that Gargan was in it.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 06:48 PM   #466
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Everyone thinks they don't age, but they do. Nobody looks exactly the same at 20 as they do in the next few years.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:51 PM   #467
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
My issue with it is that throughout her history, May has NEVER been a "young vibrant" type of mother figure. Maybe I'm a bit of a purist, but they obvioysly missed the real core of her character. For one thing, she was never intended as someone for other characters to be drool over, nor was she a romantic prospect (except one incident with Doc Ock but that was more because he wanted to get access to a nuclear plant she somehow inherited. He just happened to end up growing fond of her later on.) She IS the wise older mother figure, and it is canon that both she and Ben were quite a bit older than Peter's father(Ben was his older brother) and mother. Part of why he kept the secret for so long was out of fear that the knowledge might literally kill her. As in heart attack territory. That is a BIG deal and not something that should be changed lightly in the name of making a few jokes about the "hot aunt"!

See above for why this was a BAD idea. Sally was the lowest end of where they should have gone with that. Spunky is fine but let's be honest, this May was more eye-candy for older guys than she was mentor or moral compass.

Agreed on all counts.
Spoiler:
The AI was a bit much, and fits better in the Iron Spider suit. Which is what he should have worn in Civil War if we were being comic-faithful. I was a bit stymied by the lack of Harry, or the changes made to Ned and Flash among others. (Was he even a football player? He's supposed to be the popular jerky jock who bullies and harrasses Peter. Yet he was reduced to a mild rival on the Decathelon team. WTF??!!) "M-J" was the most confusing. She's a completely different character; why bother?!

I was also upset by the complete lack of mention of Uncle Ben. He was the whole reason Peter became Spider-Man, yet Civil War made more reference to it than this did. I was surprised that Peter did not bring that up to Tony. And a bit disappointed.

I liked it better than the two Amazing movies, but it had so many departures from characters we know, that it felt like the names were just tacked on. And yeah some of the humor blunted otherwise heartfelt scenes. Also- a bit too much Tony and Happy.

That was pretty funny! Glad I actually stayed even though it was pretty blatant.

Nope it was from Avengers. They were cleaning up the mess from the Chitauri invasion. They even showed part of one of those big dragon things.

The second one was Herman. It even said so in the credits. I did like that Gargan was in it.
And it looks like the Scorpion will be the villain in the next one possibly.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:56 PM   #468
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Everyone thinks they don't age, but they do. Nobody looks exactly the same at 20 as they do in the next few years.
Uh-huh. And this is why I still got carded for R-rated movies at 25, or liquer at 30....

Old 07-08-2017, 07:05 PM   #469
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkeletonMan939 View Post
It wouldn't be the first time the films stole an idea from that magnificent show. Electro's origin in ASM2 is uncannily similar to his origin in Spectacular.
I only have seen the 1967 cartoon and Spider-Man: TAS, the latter which is the almost definitive take on the Spider corner of the Marvel universe. I am aware that Montanna of the Enforcers was made into The Shocker which was an idea exclusive to the show. Montana was on his own as The Kingpins right-hand man when he was killed during the Superior arc. Where else was Montana The Shocker? Was the race change from the Ultimate comics-line? I see now that the second guy was Herman, I did not know actors names to know which one was Schultz.

Yes, Shocker is a glorified bank robber who gets lucky from time to time much like the rest of the Syndicate associated B-listers.

Last edited by MikeandRaph87; 07-08-2017 at 07:11 PM.
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 07:15 PM   #470
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Uh-huh. And this is why I still got carded for R-rated movies at 25, or liquer at 30....
Just compare photo's of yourself if you have them at those ages. Everyone ages , including movie stars.

This kid playing Spiderman will look much older in the next few movies he appears in.
Old 07-08-2017, 07:16 PM   #471
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I watched a video about all the easter eggs in the movie, and the Principle in Peter Parker's School, is actually a descendant of one of the Howling Commandos from Captain America: The First Avenger, you can see a picture of that character on a picture frame at the principle's office.
Old 07-08-2017, 07:17 PM   #472
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Quote:
And it looks like the Scorpion will be the villain in the next one possibly.
That's not what the mid-credits scene was about. They weren't setting anything up.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 07:22 PM   #473
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
That's not what the mid-credits scene was about. They weren't setting anything up.
But that character is The Scorpion in the comics, even though it didnt look like a setup, but the fact that character even shows up, means we could potentially see Scorpion show up.
Old 07-08-2017, 07:24 PM   #474
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I love how at the very end of the movie
Spoiler:
When Peter finally gets the suit back and wears it, Aunt May appears behind him and yells. "WHAT THE F" as the credits cuts out the F bomb.
Old 07-08-2017, 07:25 PM   #475
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

I do have photos at those ages. At 25 you would be hard pressed to tell the difference from my high school pics.(I actually look OLDER in the high school ones due to having them done professionally!) In fact, I didn't even start getting lines until 35. My first grey hair was at 30- but that happened due to pregnancy. I litrerally looked like an 18-20 year old unril I was over halfway to my 30's. People STILL think I am 10 years younger than I am. Because I do not look my age. Some people just don't. I'm in good shape and don't stay out in the sun a lot so my age simply doesn't show much. People used to think my mom was my older sister when I was in high school for the same reason- and she's 20 years older!

Old 07-08-2017, 07:34 PM   #476
Turo602
The King of Kings

Quote:
But that character is The Scorpion in the comics, even though it didnt look like a setup, but the fact that character even shows up, means we could potentially see Scorpion show up.
I feel like they were setting up the sinister six since we have Vulture, Shocker, and Mac Gargen in this universe. That's 3 down, 3 more to go.

Edit: I know that's not what the scene was about, but I still feel like they're heading in that direction.

Last edited by Turo602; 07-08-2017 at 07:44 PM.
Turo602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 08:12 PM   #477
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

Quote:
I love how at the very end of the movie
Spoiler:
When Peter finally gets the suit back and wears it, Aunt May appears behind him and yells. "WHAT THE F" as the credits cuts out the F bomb.
That was the worst part of the movie in more ways than one.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 08:30 PM   #478
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Whenever I see Tomei I keep thinking, 'when is she going into a curse-filled banter at Pesci's side?'due to her role in My Cousin Vinny. I see it as a reference to the MCV character she portrayed. I doubt that she saw Peter as Spider-Man but his crazy hair and had a reaction to her and by impulse lashed out with a cuss word.

Ferris Bueller referenced twice. It is screaming that it's a teen movie for everyone.

I did like the Scholastic Bowl inclusion!

As far as the scene at the prison is concerned it was confirmed that there was no intention on building towards that certain group. Nor was it because The Vukture wants to use the information for himself.It was designed to show Adrian has respect for Peter because he saved Liz 's life and did not let him die after what Vulture did to him.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:31 PM   #479
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

Spoiler:
I'm guessing if we get three movies in total out of this Spider-Man incarnation, it's definitely ending on the Sinister Six. The question is... who else could they use besides the three mentioned?

I still want Kraven and hopefully Mysterio to appear, but I'm not holding my breath. Least I have my own film ideas in that case.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:36 PM   #480
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldMutant View Post
Spoiler:
I'm guessing if we get three movies in total out of this Spider-Man incarnation, it's definitely ending on the Sinister Six. The question is... who else could they use besides the three mentioned?

I still want Kraven and hopefully Mysterio to appear, but I'm not holding my breath. Least I have my own film ideas in that case.
Kraven and Mysterio seem extremely likely due to the fact that they've never been used. Maybe Chameleon.

I think Marvel will also redo Green Goblin and Doctor Octopus at some point; those two villains are too big to leave off the table.

Tags
cubedagesquickly, cuck_blade, homecucking, iron man 7, spider-cuck, spider-man