The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion > Collection Photos

Notices

Old 06-11-2016, 09:58 AM   #21
turtlemyke
Random Punk

It would be awesome if they'd bring them back, but I'm actually to the point where I don't think they would do a good job of recreating them. It'd be better if another brand like Tastykake (who actually licensed TMNT mini donuts before the latest movie came out) would make their own version. Their products are delicious while Hostess IMO has done a crap job with their new recipes.

Also, one fact that not many people know -- the Pies were always meant to be a limited, 20-week release back in 1991. That fact kind of blows me away because so many people fondly remember a product that was only on shelves for 20 weeks.

The design of the wrappers is my all-time favorite.
turtlemyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 01:13 PM   #22
Darth Knuckles
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlemyke View Post
It would be awesome if they'd bring them back, but I'm actually to the point where I don't think they would do a good job of recreating them. It'd be better if another brand like Tastykake (who actually licensed TMNT mini donuts before the latest movie came out) would make their own version. Their products are delicious while Hostess IMO has done a crap job with their new recipes.

Also, one fact that not many people know -- the Pies were always meant to be a limited, 20-week release back in 1991. That fact kind of blows me away because so many people fondly remember a product that was only on shelves for 20 weeks.

The design of the wrappers is my all-time favorite.
I totally agree and I also feel that Tastykake would do a much better job with making a yummy Turtle Pie. Hostess pies have been of lesser quality in the last bunch of years to me. Especially after the company was brought back from bankruptcy.

I didn't realize that the run was only for five months either. They did have two different styles, stickers, etc. in that time frame right? But yeah I remember them fondly buying some with my Dad at the local grocery store. I did love the art on those too.
Old 06-11-2016, 01:29 PM   #23
turtlemyke
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Knuckles View Post
I totally agree and I also feel that Tastykake would do a much better job with making a yummy Turtle Pie. Hostess pies have been of lesser quality in the last bunch of years to me. Especially after the company was brought back from bankruptcy.

I didn't realize that the run was only for five months either. They did have two different styles, stickers, etc. in that time frame right? But yeah I remember them fondly buying some with my Dad at the local grocery store. I did love the art on those too.
A common false memory is a plain-crusted version with green pudding inside. Never existed, except in a test version never made for the public. They did have 2 different styles of the wrappers (one for the yellow stickers and one for the TMNT 2 cards) as pictured in my original post. They were around 500 calories per pie!!!
Old 06-11-2016, 02:24 PM   #24
Darth Knuckles
Stone Warrior

Quote:
They did have 2 different styles of the wrappers (one for the yellow stickers and one for the TMNT 2 cards) as pictured in my original post. They were around 500 calories per pie!!!
Yeah, that was what I was referring to! So the two different packaging styles and types of cards all happened in just a five month time frame. That's really interesting. But I really do remember those TMNT pies and it would be great to see them again one day.
Old 06-11-2016, 02:38 PM   #25
turtlemyke
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Knuckles View Post
Yeah, that was what I was referring to! So the two different packaging styles and types of cards all happened in just a five month time frame. That's really interesting. But I really do remember those TMNT pies and it would be great to see them again one day.
Yep! And not to just keep spewing random trivia, but they had actually planned 4 different variations for the 20 weeks...including one with free holograms featuring the same images as the yellow stickers. The holograms never made it into the pie packages, but somehow did end up in vending machines and you can find them on eBay.

It would be amazing to sip some Ecto Cooler and munch on one of these pies together again!
Old 06-14-2016, 05:34 PM   #26
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

Location: Inside the Technodrome; Shredderville; Saskatchewan
some cool items indeed

Add me: PSN/XBL; Nintendo Network ID: BDS-3.1.6; Switch FC: SW-3378-5206-8020

TMNT Fan Club: http://sot.ag/4jZR0

Visit My Wish List:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=30904

My Collection:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40276
TheCanadiandrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 11:14 AM   #27
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Your collection is fantastic. Makes me hungry though, love me some Hostess products.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 02:50 PM   #28
turtlemyke
Random Punk

Hope it's okay if I add to this thread.

I've finally found a photo of one of my "grail" items, the Hostess mail-away belt buckle. It looks a little underwhelming, considering it's almost an exact copy of a Burger King "Rad Badge," but still exciting nonetheless.

If anyone owns or has ever seen one of these, please let me know! Your junk would be my treasure. If this should be in another thread, please also let me know.

Old 01-13-2017, 03:03 PM   #29
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Hope it's okay if I add to this thread.

I've finally found a photo of one of my "grail" items, the Hostess mail-away belt buckle. It looks a little underwhelming, considering it's almost an exact copy of a Burger King "Rad Badge," but still exciting nonetheless.

If anyone owns or has ever seen one of these, please let me know! Your junk would be my treasure. If this should be in another thread, please also let me know.

http://i.imgur.com/KWT4VUrm.png
http://i.imgur.com/GoNb5VPl.jpg
Thats cool dude! It's an awesome thrill when you finally grab one of those grail items. Congratulations. So how did you even know this existed?
Old 01-13-2017, 03:11 PM   #30
turtlemyke
Random Punk

Unhappy

Thanks, but the victory was actually just finding a photo of one. I don't own one quite yet, unfortunately.

In each package, the pies rested on a piece of cardboard. The back of that cardboard had an order form with 4 mail away items on it. In my above post, you'll see the buckle as it appeared on the order form. I studied that image until I deciphered the words "totally tubular" on the inside of the buckle.

I searched "totally tubular buckle" on Twitter and the official TMNT Twitter account had a photo of one from 2012. Yes, this is how I spend some of my free time...
Old 01-13-2017, 03:16 PM   #31
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Thanks, but the victory was actually just finding a photo of one. I don't own one quite yet, unfortunately.

In each package, the pies rested on a piece of cardboard. The back of that cardboard had an order form with 4 mail away items on it. In my above post, you'll see the buckle as it appeared on the order form. I studied that image until I deciphered the words "totally tubular" on the inside of the buckle.

I searched "totally tubular buckle" on Twitter and the official TMNT Twitter account had a photo of one from 2012. Yes, this is how I spend some of my free time...
Oh I read wrong. Thought you had gotten it. Oops. Well good luck.
And I think alot of us have researched Turtle stuff before. It can be fun at times.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:40 PM   #32
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

I wasn't even aware of the existence of that. Neat, good luck finding it!
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 07:25 PM   #33
Roseangelo
Emperor

I love niche collections like this. Really fantastic!
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 11:11 PM   #34
eastlos217
Hench Mutant

dude this thread is beyond amazing! I love seeing items like these that people find hard to acquire. it does make collecting so much more interesting!! I also love collecting specific items like that too!! right now im after advertising /promo items like these too
eastlos217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 11:28 AM   #35
turtlemyke
Random Punk

Well, I never imagined I'd find one of these so quickly...but after searching countless eBay lots, I checked one of my grail items of the list. Here are some quick shots of the Hostess TMNT Pies Mail-Away Belt Buckle for anyone that cares. So glad it was in great shape when it arrived!

Let me know if y'all ever see a TMNT Pies T-shirt, please.

Old 01-31-2017, 02:56 PM   #36
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

Location: Inside the Technodrome; Shredderville; Saskatchewan
Almost looks like a turtle comm

Add me: PSN/XBL; Nintendo Network ID: BDS-3.1.6; Switch FC: SW-3378-5206-8020

TMNT Fan Club: http://sot.ag/4jZR0

Visit My Wish List:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=30904

My Collection:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40276
TheCanadiandrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 08:04 AM   #37
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

CBR had a write up about the Turtle Pies.
https://www.cbr.com/what-happened-to...s-turtle-pies/
I missed out on it. Doubt that it would taste good now.haha.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:15 AM   #38
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Almost looks like a turtle comm
It reminds me of the Burger King Heroes In A Half Shell TMNT Rad Badge from early 1990. The face Leonardo makes is almost the same one from the 1990 BK Kids Meal toy.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:42 AM   #39
wpugh2424
Mad Scientist

Still looking for one of these
Never found one
Awesome stuff
Old 08-26-2019, 07:42 AM   #40
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
CBR had a write up about the Turtle Pies.
https://www.cbr.com/what-happened-to...s-turtle-pies/
I missed out on it. Doubt that it would taste good now.haha.
The oldest Millennials that weren’t Shellheads ditched all things Turtles (including the pudding pies) for SNES and Sega Genesis late in the fall of 1991. I think that could be why only the Hostess TMNT Pudding Pies regular stickers, SOTO stickers, and holographic stickers (in the order they were released) existed.

My cousin had a holographic Leonardo in September of 1991. In October of ‘91, I believe these were gone from grocery stores, bodegas, and delis.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote