The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 02-28-2017, 10:35 AM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

What's your favourite NES Mega Man game?

Mega Man 2 for me. Then comes Mega Man 3.

Also, Mega Man 5 is underrated. I'd rather play it than MM4.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:40 AM   #2
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Mega Man 2 for me. Then comes Mega Man 3.

Also, Mega Man 5 is underrated. I'd rather play it than MM4.
I like the one where Mega Man goes around and fights the bosses, gets their weapons powers, and fights Dr. Wily at the end. That one is best.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:42 AM   #3
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I like the one where Mega Man goes around and fights the bosses, gets their weapons powers, and fights Dr. Wily at the end. That one is best.
So all of them? Are are you saying that the franchise got stale as soon as its first sequel came out?
Old 02-28-2017, 10:45 AM   #4
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
So all of them? Are are you saying that the franchise got stale as soon as its first sequel came out?
I'm saying by 4 or 5 they probably should have started thinking about getting away from Dr. Wily and trying new sh*t. And that by 9 or 10, regressing back to the NES-style (complete with more Dr. Wily) is pretty unabashedly ass-backwards.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:48 AM   #5
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
I'm saying by 4 or 5 they probably should have started thinking about getting away from Dr. Wily and trying new sh*t. And that by 9 or 10, regressing back to the NES-style (complete with more Dr. Wily) is pretty unabashedly ass-backwards.
Well yeah. 4 was when it started to get stale. 4 is a better game than 5, but I prefer 5. Dunno why but I have a very soft spot for that game. As for 6... it was forgettable and its stages dragged on a lot.

Not NES, but MM7 and MM8 were just mediocre.

9 and 10 came out years later. Never got the chance to play them but would like to someday.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:54 AM   #6
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Well yeah. 4 was when it started to get stale. 4 is a better game than 5, but I prefer 5. Dunno why
It was the first game to feature a main villain other than Dr. Wily. But then it just turned out to be Dr. Wily anyway.

If memory serves.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:57 AM   #7
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
It was the first game to feature a main villain other than Dr. Wily. But then it just turned out to be Dr. Wily anyway.

If memory serves.
Yep, Doctor Cossack. And in MM5 you get Protoman's castle before Wily. Protoman's Castle is cool, though. Gotta love that tune!

Dont' remember 6, but pretty sure it had a similar formula.

It sucks how if you die at Wily's castle the password and save function(Anniversary Collection only) won't get you further than the very first stage of Cossack's/Protoman's castle again. Meaning you have to do it ALL OVER AGAIN.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:56 PM   #8
Icebot
Foot Elite

Mega Man 3 is my favorite.
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 02:59 PM   #9
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I think it was Mega Man 2 or 3, I found this trick. I sent it in to Nintendo Power but they never printed it. I can't remember it exactly, but it was something like... plug in a second controller, and on that second controller, if you hold certain buttons down, then while doing so, on the main controller you can jump out of all "bottomless" pits. I can't remember if it made you invincible, but I think it did.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:03 PM   #10
Icebot
Foot Elite

Quote:
I think it was Mega Man 2 or 3, I found this trick. I sent it in to Nintendo Power but they never printed it. I can't remember it exactly, but it was something like... plug in a second controller, and on that second controller, if you hold certain buttons down, then while doing so, on the main controller you can jump out of all "bottomless" pits. I can't remember if it made you invincible, but I think it did.
Yes you're right, it's for Mega Man 3 and it worked for me too. If someone holds down the forward button on the second controller, the player using the first controller jumps high and jumps into holes without dying, doesn't make you invincible though.
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 03:33 PM   #11
Prowler
Emperor

I only owned 2 when I was a kid. I didn't get the chance to play the other NES Mega Man games until I got the Anniversary Collection for Christmas 2007.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:48 PM   #12
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

The first one. Things aren't as complicated as they got later on in the series, and it just seems less tedious and more fun.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 03:13 PM   #13
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 View Post
The first one. Things aren't as complicated as they got later on in the series, and it just seems less tedious and more fun.
MM1 is a bit too difficult on the higher difficulty setting, though. And some parts were a bit tedious. Mega Man 2 felt like an improvement. That game is almost perfection.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:36 PM   #14
sdp
-

2, because it was the only one I owned, I've played them all since but as an adult so as cool as they are and the features they added they'll never beat the nostalgia of the one I played as a kid.

Funny story but I actually wanted MM3, but my parents asked me which Mega Man game to get me and I wanted the one with "the dog", and I told them it was 2 but my sister insisted it was 3 but I got my way and got 2. I was extremely disappointed that I had chosen the incorrect one without Rush as back then buying a game was a huge decision since they were expensive and you wanted so much to play. In hindsight that confusion likely gave me the best Mega Man game as it is the most popular game including critical response and has the greatest music. I still would've loved 3 but 2 was a great choice to make accidentally.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:42 PM   #15
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
2, because it was the only one I owned, I've played them all since but as an adult so as cool as they are and the features they added they'll never beat the nostalgia of the one I played as a kid.

Funny story but I actually wanted MM3, but my parents asked me which Mega Man game to get me and I wanted the one with "the dog", and I told them it was 2 but my sister insisted it was 3 but I got my way and got 2. I was extremely disappointed that I had chosen the incorrect one without Rush as back then buying a game was a huge decision since they were expensive and you wanted so much to play. In hindsight that confusion likely gave me the best Mega Man game as it is the most popular game including critical response and has the greatest music. I still would've loved 3 but 2 was a great choice to make accidentally.
While I was already playing Mega Man 2 in 1995-1996 and didn't get the chance to play other Mega Man games until 2007-2008, I don't think it's nostalgia speaking louder in my case. I mean, I didn't get around to beat MM2 until I got MM:AC in 2007. Mega Man 2 was very difficult for me to beat when I was a kid. The stage I'd fare best at was Flash Man's and Crash Man's iirc. A lot of times I'd die before reaching the stage boss, so it's not like I knew which weapon beat which boss.

Mega Man 3 comes in second place, but it's a close call. I really enjoyed playing it for the first time ever when i was already 17 years old. Also, I beat it on my first try.