The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 10:35 AM   #21
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleTitan97 View Post
Oh right, because all black people talk exactly like Nick Bebop, right?

Again, you're an idiot.
My point was why would Ciro have him talk that way in the first place? Fred Wolf Bebop never spoke like that. Ciro made Bebop and Rocksteady into stereotypes, with Bebop being black and Rocksteady being the commie Russian.

Same reason Rocksteady says, "Da!" and "Its good, yes?" and other typical Russian language stereotypes.

So if April was black I'd expect something similar.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:37 AM   #22
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Last I checked, Xever was black, and he didn't talk like that at all. So what's your point?

You're just making up excuses just because you don't want a black April.

Last edited by TurtleTitan97; 07-02-2016 at 10:48 AM.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:37 AM   #23
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleTitan97 View Post
Last I checked, Xever was black, and he didn't talk like that at all. So what's your point?

You're just making up excuse just because you don't want a black April.
Xever is Brazilian and he's used slang, yes.
Old 07-02-2016, 11:11 AM   #24
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Xever is Brazilian and he's used slang, yes.
What slang did he use?
Old 07-02-2016, 11:21 AM   #25
Huzzah
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Black April has a 'fro and the big round earings. Talk about stereotypes.
You bring up the fro as being a stereotype in several comments, the fact is, the fro is often the natural state of many black women's hair, it's not a stereotype, it's a common occurrence when many black women choose to go natural. Weave, sew ins, or perm would fall more under a stereotype. Natural hair, however is not as common.

Round or hoop earrings are still common types of jewelry, worn by all races not just black women.

Also, you said in another discussion that people weren't ready or wouldn't be accepting of a black April, when I think it's you personally who is not accepting to the idea. Frankly I've been a proponent of the idea for years and think it would have no real bearing on the character as a who,e, since their is no one defined April, you're not doing any previous character version a disservice.
Old 07-02-2016, 11:53 AM   #26
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
I don't think making her black would have changed her from being a plot device. She still woulda been a half Kraang with telekinesis and ninja skills that just so happens to be the key ingredient in the kraangs whole plan. And don and Casey would still be fighting over her.
I like to think that this show has gone the way it has due to network interference, and that if given total creative control, Ciro would have done better by April.

Of course, having talked to the man and heard his opinions regarding character design and development, you're probably 100& correct, but....let a lady dream.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 07-02-2016, 01:05 PM   #27
Ninturtle
Mad Scientist

Wink

Having a black April would've been a pointless change that would only make her less physically recognizable as April, I'm glad this change didn't happen.
Old 07-02-2016, 01:32 PM   #28
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Mikey speaks more black than Nick Bebop.... just sayin'.

As for Bebop and Rocksteady, they are completely different characters from any other version. They're no longer street punks. One's a Micheal Jackson dancin' master thief and the other is a weapon collecting Russian criminal.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Old 07-02-2016, 02:05 PM   #29
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huzzah View Post
You bring up the fro as being a stereotype in several comments, the fact is, the fro is often the natural state of many black women's hair, it's not a stereotype, it's a common occurrence when many black women choose to go natural. Weave, sew ins, or perm would fall more under a stereotype. Natural hair, however is not as common.

Round or hoop earrings are still common types of jewelry, worn by all races not just black women.

Also, you said in another discussion that people weren't ready or wouldn't be accepting of a black April, when I think it's you personally who is not accepting to the idea. Frankly I've been a proponent of the idea for years and think it would have no real bearing on the character as a who,e, since their is no one defined April, you're not doing any previous character version a disservice.
Highly agree. Besides April in the Mirage comics looks like she could be any number of nationalities aside from caucasian.

Old 07-02-2016, 02:13 PM   #30
Ramboraph4life aka Matt
Mad Scientist

Just depends on the writing and acting/voice-acting. Other than that, it wouldn't matter to me whether April was black or not.

Hell...if they did a TMNT movie in the 80s, I would have been fine to have Whoopi Goldberg ala Jumpin' Jack Flash as April.

I could picture this scene as if it April talking to the Chief (ala Chief Sterns) after being attacked (perhaps by the Foot).

Old 07-02-2016, 02:23 PM   #31
Commenter 42
Banned

Making April Black means she's often in trouble/needs saving/trying to solve a problem.

These are all things that scream white. I've never met a real sista that needs "help", or tells you she in trouble, and 9 times outta ten she's solved any mystery long before anybody else.

April has white people problems.
Old 07-02-2016, 02:28 PM   #32
CyberCubed
Overlord

If anything people would accuse the show of being racist if a black April was constantly the damsel in distress and getting beaten up by Karai an Asian woman like in that Season 1 episode.
Old 07-02-2016, 02:37 PM   #33
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
If anything people would accuse the show of being racist if a black April was constantly the damsel in distress and getting beaten up by Karai an Asian woman like in that Season 1 episode.
Karai's not white though, so who cares if a trained ninja whupped a whitebelt's ass?

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Old 07-02-2016, 02:54 PM   #34
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Karai's not white though, so who cares if a trained ninja whupped a whitebelt's ass?
You think an Asian girl beating up a black girl is any better? That's just asking for controversy especially in a kids show.
Old 07-02-2016, 02:59 PM   #35
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

So if a highly trained ninja beats up a character who's black, its considered controversial.

But if said character is white instead, then no one is gonna bat an eye??? Are you really that dense to believe in that statement?

Old 07-02-2016, 03:05 PM   #36
CyberCubed
Overlord

I don't think that, but if you've seen the outcry from people on various sites like tumblr, twitter, etc...you'll notice it. People are very sensitive as to how race is portrayed especially in animation for kids. There's always outcry from people on the internet over stuff like this that happens even in Disney animated films and so forth.
Old 07-02-2016, 03:18 PM   #37
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

People don't have to go off-site to find these sorts of arguments, not when you're making them right here.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 07-02-2016, 03:24 PM   #38
Casey
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huzzah View Post

Insert clapping hands emoji.
Old 07-02-2016, 03:56 PM   #39
The Happy One
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Sorry, nope, nope. That's just digging way too deep for excuses man. If wriiten right and casted right then it could work. And it isn't even a matter of 'who's ready, who's not'. April was African American in the comics and there's thousands of African American kids (and adults) who I am sure would be thrilled about it- as well as other tmnt fans. If they can go and make April part Kraang and make Hun Asain, then they can make April black. Just sayin'.
Old 07-02-2016, 04:02 PM   #40
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

Cubed whining about things not supposed to change again? What else is new?

As for April being black, I think it's a good idea to expand beyond the norm. Personally, I feel it just comes down to how the character looks and if it fits that particular incarnation, not forced for the heck of it. Based on Ciro's drawing though, looks like it would have been a nice addition; maybe someone can attempt it down the line or the show does an alternate reality with it.

Tags
a day inside may, april o'neil, concept art, cybercubed master of sex, cybercubedthepedophile, cybercubedtheracist, pokesmut