The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 08-01-2017, 01:15 PM   #921
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl316bh View Post
I don't immediately buy the Marvel Legacy style "everything will be renumbered" thing either, really. There's not a lot of sense to it. 'Tec and Action did, because they were the longest running, most storied comics in history and frankly should never have been completely relaunched. Maybe Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman. But everything else? What's the point, really?
Didio did claim at comicon other anniversary issues will be acknowledged in the coming months, but was coy on whether or not the titles would revert to legacy numbering or not.
ZariusTwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 01:22 PM   #922
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Didio did claim at comicon other anniversary issues will be acknowledged in the coming months, but was coy on whether or not the titles would revert to legacy numbering or not.
A few years back, just before the New52 I think, DC's issue # box on the covers had the current volume's issue # on it in big font, and kind of below it and off to the side it's "Main" number. i.e., "Wonder Woman #12 (#711)" or whatever.

They probably should have just kept on doing that.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 01:45 PM   #923
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
A few years back, just before the New52 I think, DC's issue # box on the covers had the current volume's issue # on it in big font, and kind of below it and off to the side it's "Main" number. i.e., "Wonder Woman #12 (#711)" or whatever.

A trick Marvel used some years before
Old 08-01-2017, 01:56 PM   #924
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Yeah, they loooove to dust them off every few years and try them again and again. Nobody cares about the Legion and their books don't sell... and every time there's a 11th or 12th reboot of them with a fresh round of retcons/Geoffcons, that just pisses off their core fans that much more. The whole property is radioactive, no matter how much Geoff and Didio want to try and force it on people.
Yeah, I know. I tried the Legion at one point or another and just never "got it". But it was one of their top properties in the 50's and 60's, so it's a legacy thing they can't let go of completely. Also that the Legion does have a passionate fanbase, even if what I've seen of them suggests they can't agree on anything, much less what the best incarnation of the Legion is. That seems to be at least part of the problem. The fandom itself seems too fractured and rarely happy with something or another.

Doom Patrol was another failure they refused to let die. Though, to be fair, they finally figured out what they were doing wrong. A team of weirdos doesn't work in the larger DC Universe unless they're really freaking weird. Grant Morrison got that. What I've heard of Gerard Ways Doom Patrol sounds like it gets it too, so I'm looking forward to reading it.

Though I'd honestly rather get more Umbrella Academy first, but I guess that ship has probably sailed.

Quote:

Yeah, that was a good approach. It should have stuck.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:52 AM   #925
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

"War of Jokes and Riddles" is turning out to be as much of a disappointment as anything else Tom King has done with the Batman series.

Great idea, just like "I Am Bane" or "I Am Suicide", and then... completely awful execution. No idea why he is telling, not showing, this incredible idea. Snoozefest. Save your $$$.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:57 AM   #926
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Yeah, I know. I tried the Legion at one point or another and just never "got it". But it was one of their top properties in the 50's and 60's, so it's a legacy thing they can't let go of completely. Also that the Legion does have a passionate fanbase
Probably greatly diminished by now. Legion hasn't had a successful run since what... a few years before Zero Hour? So like 1990, maybe?
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 03:05 PM   #927
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Probably greatly diminished by now. Legion hasn't had a successful run since what... a few years before Zero Hour? So like 1990, maybe?
Legion Lost is the last time I saw any general agreement on it being any good. Threeboot is more divisive, but relatively popular. Nothing after that had anyone give a damn. So yeah, I imagine it's pretty greatly diminished by now, but there are still plenty of die hards. But whether you can cater to them is another issue, because they're so fractured by now I don't think it's possible to please a majority of them anymore.

Quote:
"War of Jokes and Riddles" is turning out to be as much of a disappointment as anything else Tom King has done with the Batman series.

Great idea, just like "I Am Bane" or "I Am Suicide", and then... completely awful execution. No idea why he is telling, not showing, this incredible idea. Snoozefest. Save your $$$.
I haven't read his Batman yet, but some of the directions he's decided on chafe, so I've really been putting it off. Framing the entire Batman endeavor as a slow burn suicide annoys the hell out of me.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:11 PM   #928
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
I haven't read his Batman yet, but some of the directions he's decided on chafe, so I've really been putting it off. Framing the entire Batman endeavor as a slow burn suicide annoys the hell out of me.
I can't think of a single good thing to recommend from Tom King's Batman run. It sounds like other people have been enjoying it, but it is not for me. At all.
Old 08-04-2017, 03:48 AM   #929
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I can't think of a single good thing to recommend from Tom King's Batman run. It sounds like other people have been enjoying it, but it is not for me. At all.
Most of them are just glad he's banging Catwoman again

The lenticular covers for Action Comics ''Oz Effect'' story came out and they hint at a big spoiler

Spoiler:
Jor-El is transported off of Krypton by Manhattan's blue energy...which means the rumors of him being Oz are probably true
Old 08-04-2017, 11:17 AM   #930
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Look who's finally showing up in this Doomsday Clock preview

Old 08-04-2017, 12:51 PM   #931
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Most of them are just glad he's banging Catwoman again
I have to admit I've been burnt out on that whole relationship for a while, classic though it may be, and I'm hoping the engagement doesn't go through and she breaks off again to do her own thing.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:49 PM   #932
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
I thought you loved The War of Jokes and Riddles?
It plays such havoc with continuity and plays The Riddler out of character.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:10 PM   #933
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:

Though I'd honestly rather get more Umbrella Academy first, but I guess that ship has probably sailed.

Gabriel Bá has been working on it over the years, probably anytime Gerard Way actually gives him scripts.

Volumes 3 and 4 will probably be released relatively close-together, whenever that happens to be. It's going on, what, almost ten years now? I just saw a memory on facebook where I was wondering when Hotel Oblivion was coming out and that was 8 years ago
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 12:56 AM   #934
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
Gabriel Bá has been working on it over the years, probably anytime Gerard Way actually gives him scripts.

Volumes 3 and 4 will probably be released relatively close-together, whenever that happens to be. It's going on, what, almost ten years now? I just saw a memory on facebook where I was wondering when Hotel Oblivion was coming out and that was 8 years ago
Yeah, I've heard as much, about it being worked on over the years, but I'm close to giving up on more outright. It's been a decade, yeah. If Umbrella Academy weren't as fun as it is and enjoyably weird I might not care.

Who knows, though. Maybe the supposed TV series might light a fire and get the next parts moving along.
Old 08-05-2017, 05:52 AM   #935
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
I have to admit I've been burnt out on that whole relationship for a while, classic though it may be, and I'm hoping the engagement doesn't go through and she breaks off again to do her own thing.
I think she'll turn him down, but in a ''delayed answer'' kind of way, which will prompt Bruce to go on that quest to become a better hero for her in the next arc, given what King said about the two marrying at comicon [they would heal the broken sides of themselves], I don't see the relationship playing a backseat anytime soon.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:02 AM   #936
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
I thought you loved The War of Jokes and Riddles?
It plays such havoc with continuity and plays The Riddler out of character.
It started well. First two issues of setup, but then it has skipped over the entire war just to tell us a few flashbacks and snippets.

Terrible.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:18 AM   #937
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
It started well. First two issues of setup, but then it has skipped over the entire war just to tell us a few flashbacks and snippets.

Terrible.
We got all of Rogues War which was two major battles. The first The Top interfered then the second battle was interrupted by the two Reverse Flashes. Still epic and great characterization and would have served as a model for how to plot this. While it became about the two Revse Flashes, Barry Allen, and Linda's miscarriage it still resolved the war with Heatwave flipping back, burying the Top, and everyone joining The Society. What if it wanted to resolve the war itself and have an uneasy alliance of Joker and Riddler luring Batman somewhere remote and they compete in a final contest to kill Batman? I know people do not like Geoff Johns, but it looks like a good example to go by for this story. What I do not understand is what is this hypocritical action Batman takes to stop the two villains?
Old 08-05-2017, 08:21 PM   #938
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Yeah, I've heard as much, about it being worked on over the years, but I'm close to giving up on more outright. It's been a decade, yeah. If Umbrella Academy weren't as fun as it is and enjoyably weird I might not care.

Who knows, though. Maybe the supposed TV series might light a fire and get the next parts moving along.
That's my hope as well. I mean, surely working on the TV show will get Way thinking about the Umbrella Academy's world again and he'll buckle down and do actual work for his series, not work on every other indie comic title under the sun.
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:27 AM   #939
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Paul Dini will be penning an ongoing Harley Loves Joker series

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/08...ker-paul-dini/
Old 08-09-2017, 09:06 AM   #940
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Anyone else read the first issue of the new Mister Miracle series? I'm not too familiar with Tom King's previous work but I thought it was pretty good overall and look forward to the next issue.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batman, bendis, dc comics, superman, wonder woman