The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 06-22-2021, 08:47 PM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Words or phrases you hate?

For me, I hate "problematic." It used to be that was a word mainly by mechanics, to talk about malfunctioning car parts... now it's thrown around by everyone offended by anything, or people getting offended on behalf of other people.

I also don't like the "this needs a lot of unpack" that I see in growing circles. Stop it! Unpack your own nonsense and stop saying that.

Also, since Wandavision, suddenly everyone on the internet and on the streets are experts on the "Ship of Theseus" conundrum. Kind of like when the Matrix 2 came out, everyone suddenly had "causality" added to their vocabulary.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 08:56 PM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord

Easy peasy lemon squeezy.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 10:40 PM   #3
Storm Eagle
Saved by

I think the term "whooty" is pretty silly.

For some reason, I personally don't like to use "crush" as in to have a crush on someone.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 11:45 PM   #4
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Oh my gosh! I was just thinking today there should be a topic like this.

A’ la. Makes me cringe. Like it’s used to sound cool. I only see it online. Just say “like” or “similar to”.

Helm. Same reason. I also only see it online. Specifically in topic titles for upcoming movies and shows...Name to helm next title. Just say “direct”.

This is not a phrase but I think it fits the question. I hate this sooo much. When people refer to their kids as months old when they’re over a year.

It’s so pretentious to me. Like they’re only doing because they think it’s cute or they don’t want acknowledge they’re over. Just use the year increment. In terms of earth time there’s no such thing as a 15 month old.

I really only hear this on tv with game show contestants and random people but it drives me crazy. It immediately turns me off to them.
Old 06-22-2021, 11:52 PM   #5
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I hate it when people say "no offense", makes whatever they are going to say next sound even more offensive.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 01:30 PM   #6
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Prejudice-related or otherwise indecent words aside... I can't really think of any everyday words/phrases off the top of my head that I actually specifically hate. I'm more inclined to hate how someone says something vs the word itself. Case in point, I hate the way some people talk about food. The people who sound like food addicts. Oprah had an ad (Weight Watchers?) I hated for that reason. Or the way my mom says "enjoy" if you have a plate of food you're about to eat. If it was something she made that is one thing, but she says this over food she had nothing to do with and I just find it cringy. I also hate little kids repeating some nonsense over and over in an irritating child voice.

The one I find funny is that a lot of people supposedly hate moist. My sister hates that one.

There is one word that I truly hate, not from simply annoyance and not an everyday word (medically related), but the thought of it and what it pertains to just makes me feel a little ill to even think about, let alone hear or see in writing, so I'll pass on even typing that out...

Last edited by IndigoErth; 06-25-2021 at 01:38 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 02:18 PM   #7
CyberCubed
Overlord

For some reason it bothers me irrationally when people use internet lingo...in real life outside the internet.

Like someone saying, "I made a tweet," or "LOL" (actually saying LOL as if it's a word in real life), or "smiley face emoticon" or "my facebook, tumblr, instagram, twitter, reddit page" it bothers me.

Same thing with people saying, "Did you get my text?" or, "I'll give you a call on your cell."

What's wrong with a good old fashioned pay phone? Or saying you'll beep them and send them a pager?
Old 06-25-2021, 02:32 PM   #8
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

lol How many payphones does even your city still have? Very few if any? Most of the rest of us are down to zero already.

I've only heard someone actually say "lol" in person just once, by some kid who looked like she was about 14, and that was probably 10 or more years ago.
Old 06-25-2021, 02:39 PM   #9
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I found a pay phone in the town I grew up in a couple of months ago... but I picked up the receiver and it was a dead line.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 02:47 PM   #10
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Two things I hear constantly by TV news anchors:

"Impactful" ["Impact" is a word that functions best as a verb or a noun, not an adjective that usually requires its more traditional sense to define. There are many superior adjectives, but people today just can't stop tossing this one around.]

The misuse of "historical" when "historic" is the intended sense. TV News personalities abuse this hard... it's like they are all reading from the same script or something.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 06:35 PM   #11
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
lol How many payphones does even your city still have? Very few if any? Most of the rest of us are down to zero already.ago.
New York still has pay phones everywhere.
Old 06-25-2021, 07:58 PM   #12
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
The one I find funny is that a lot of people supposedly hate moist. My sister hates that one.
I simply cannot hear the word "moist' without immediately thinking of the word "pu-"... well. YOU know.

So I assume that could be why some people don't like it. They probably have a similar mental connection. That's what I figure.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 05:58 AM   #13
triplexxx
Mad Scientist

Quote:
"The night was humid" Class dismissed. I have an enormous headache in my eye.

Types: "The night was moist". Yecch.
Please don't shoot me Mr. Big Mike. I'm too young and good-looking to die, well too young. I got a father, I got a mother, I got a grandmother, I got a little sister...and a little brother this high (raises hand), and a little brother this high (lowers hand), and little brother this high (lowers hand), and a little brother this high (lowers hand), and a little brother this high (lowers hand) and then I got a great big brother this high (slaps gun and runs).
"Fright Night" - Three Stooges
triplexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 09:44 AM   #14
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Weather was great yesterday, but today is far too moist.

Hm...need a grosser, more hateable word or phrase for high humidity.

The dampness in the air was like that of a triathlon runner's underpants in July. There we go.
Old 06-26-2021, 11:24 AM   #15
neatoman
Emperor

Leftist and Right-winger are commonly used words I hate because they're practially meaningless. They're basically just used to group together political parties and ideologies in the most unhelpful way possible. The right-left scale is just meant to help people grasp how extreme or moderate someone or their political party is, not to determine on which side of a fence they are. It is also worth noting that politics isn't binary and a lot of stances that are classified on this scale don't actually connect and it should be easy to hold a mix of rightwing and leftwing stances. I mostly see people use these terms to "get allies" or discredit moderates by lumping them in with extremists.

Generally I hate vague words people use for their own gain. It is a really slimy debate tactic.

On a lighter note, I think we could do with fewer slangs for genitals and other "dirty things", makes joke writing way too easy:
"Dick wanted to touch a beaver and grab some melons, but another Johnson got there first."
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 11:50 AM   #16
CyberCubed
Overlord

Speaking of that, to this day I have no idea what, "the left" or "the right" actually means. All I see is people throwing around these terms to whoever they disagree with, and most of the time I have no idea what the hell people are talking about.
Old 06-26-2021, 01:10 PM   #17
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Speaking of that, to this day I have no idea what, "the left" or "the right" actually means. All I see is people throwing around these terms to whoever they disagree with, and most of the time I have no idea what the hell people are talking about.
I think Democrats are the left and Republicans are the right.

I agree with certain internet lingo being said in real life, mostly the acronyms. Like I have no problem with people naming social media, I mean, Facebook exists, why would I cringe if someone I met tells me 'I'll add you on Facebook'.

I just don't like people actually saying LOL or LMAO (lohl lamaow) out loud in real life. It's stupid. And thing like 'sad face'.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 01:51 PM   #18
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Following the French Revolution in July 1789, there was a meeting there those considered liberals sat to the left and the conservatives to the right. That's why people talk about political left and rights.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 01:54 PM   #19
Vegita-San
Emperor

bruh. sounds like you're too lazy to say bro, already a lazy word.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 09:35 PM   #20
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

Internet lingo. Thankfully, UrbanDictionary has bailed me out from having a migraine on more than one occasion from trying to figure out what people are saying (or, trying to say.)

Homophobic slurs. (Seriously, casual clothing doesn't make people gay.)

F*cking emoji spam instead of an actual message. Just no.
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote