The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 07-15-2015, 08:25 PM   #201
Leo656
The Franchise

No kidding. Color me shocked that that's your Very Favorite Thing.

This movie isn't meant to be a billion-dollar one. That's what BvS is for. This one is to expand the DC film universe and introduce a ton of important characters and concepts very quickly. It's a world-building movie. Not a throw-away by any means, as especially with the Batman cameo it's bound to be Really Important. But I doubt they expect it to do huge business. Good business, sure. But they didn't build this movie to be a "Blockbuster" and it's pretty easy to see that.

...Blockbuster, coincidentally enough, wouldn't be a bad choice to use in the sequel.

Anyways, they obviously want it to make a lot of money but I'm sure they have good reasons for having it come out way after BvS at a less than "peak" time of the season. It's a companion film, to show who the players are and what the stakes are in this new DCU. It'll make Good money and serve its ultimate purpose. But the new Joker alone plus the Batman cameo promises that it will do better than okay. People will come just out of curiosity, and hopefully then be blown away by the quality of the actual film and go see it again.

I was totally "meh" about it but now the more I'm seeing the better it looks. I have faith in this one. It'll be a bit hit with its target audience, people who are a little worn out on the candy-coated Marvel fare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennydreadful View Post
Bite your tongue, boy - Harley is always awesome.
Ehhhhhhhhh, MOSTLY. Not when they write her all coked-up, bouncing off the walls, cutesy-wootzy "Aren't I just so KOOKY and ADOWABBUL?!" That sh*t's awful. But yeah, only a few people really write her that way and only in more recent years when the writing of everything has been awful. So I'm REALLY glad that's not the Harley they're going with here, because that's what I was most afraid of.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:29 PM   #202
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
I've been to SDCC the last six years, and this year...was oh so very different than the others, when it comes to motion pictures. Yes, this is anecdotal, but...I walked into Hall H without a line this year, which is not something anyone could have done at any point during the previous five.
That's... interesting. And Marvel Studios bypassed it entirely, I believe? (Though they can make a massive event out of showing off some logos and tentative release dates on their own, so they're well past "needing" Comic-Con at this point.)

There's a pretty reasonable argument that SDCC has gone way too "Hollywood" of late, so I'm curious if this trend will continue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
No, I don't think SDCC is helping the movie industry anymore.
I've heard people refer to it as the Scott Pilgrim affect.
Studios hoping to hype up their movies before the geekerati, only to find out just how fickle we are at all times.
Oh, sure - that message should have been received a long time ago. Remember how much the Internet ate up "Snakes on a Plane" way back when, but were totally sick of the joke by the time it was released?

I think Scott Pilgrim, as much as I loved it, was pretty much bound to get the turnout it did. It had a very specific appeal that went over the heads of the general audience. (And it didn't help that it was released right at the peak of Michael Cera Backlash.) Something like Suicide Squad is in a much healthier situation to begin with, IMO.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:06 AM   #203
Electric
Organized Lightning

As another self proclaimed batman fan, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't more excited see Harley than even the joker
Old 07-16-2015, 06:34 PM   #204
shuriken
Second City Shinobi

I might check it out, but the trailer looked great. I know that means nothing but getting kinda excited.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:21 AM   #205
blindturtle02
Foot Elite

Very excited about this movie. I'm just now getting to watch the trailer due to faulty Internet. I like the tone of the trailer. I like Harley no matter the incarnation, so I'm glad they added her. Don't get me started on Joker. Awesome to be seeing him again. Yeah, I know Heath Ledger is the definitive Joker for a ton of folks, but if you're including Batman in this DC film universe, you pretty much have to add the clown. Welcome back, Mr. J. I'm told this dude has some scary looking teeth. Uh, Joker hasn't ever randomly taken a bite out of anyone for giggles, has he? Yikes.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:53 PM   #206
THGhost
Puppet Master

I'm looking forward to this more than BvS, mainly because of Harley.

1990 > OotS > TMNT 2014 > Turtles Forever > TMNT III > SotO > TMNT 2007

"Can't we all just get along?" - pennydreadful

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

"Act like freakin' adults for goodness sake." - Jester

"Tough guys with tiny voices." - Commenter 42
THGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:51 PM   #207
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Surprised no one has posted this. A whole slew of SS pics have just come in, chief among them a full look at Joker. More here:http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit...news/?a=126273

Spoiler:

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:08 PM   #208
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Still looks terrible.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:20 PM   #209
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Black Order Initiate

Still looks interesting. Potentially awesome.

Technodrome Moderator: Because we have to chase him.

Technodrome Member: He didnt do anything wrong.

Technodrome Moderator: Because hes the hero Technodrome Forums deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So well hunt him because he can take it. Because hes not our hero. Hes a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A dark knight.
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:35 AM   #210
ToTheNines
[sic]

Lol, the cane is too much.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:20 AM   #211
Leo656
The Franchise

The cane of all things? He quite often has a cane. Not always, but fairly often.

It's interesting. Not what I would have done, but interesting. Having actually liked what I've seen of Leto in action makes me more open to it. I mean it was just 5 seconds of a trailer, but it was enough to more than justify any of their choices. Ledger pretty much proved that the most important thing is to convincingly play the character, not necessarily having the exact same hair and makeup he traditionally has. I mean, that's what I probably would've done, gone all "purist" with it, but hey, nobody gives me a hundred million bucks to make movies.

Since he looks good so far in action, I'm less than concerned with the clothes.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:48 AM   #212
CyberCubed
Overlord

The purple jacket, cane, and teeth makes him look like some pimp drug dealer rather than the clown prince of crime.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 03:54 AM   #213
Leo656
The Franchise

The in-story reason is that Batman long ago busted all his teeth, and apparently Arkham or Belle Reve or whatever don't have great dental and this was the best he could get done. It's whatever, totally pointless and over-the-top but it's been clear from the beginning that, for better and worse, "Different Than Last Time" is a key running theme in the newer DC films. All that and the tattoos and the other "flair" are unnecessary, you don't need them at all, but at the same time it doesn't hurt or break anything because you could still see Joker doing this or that. Like, he's never actually gone and gotten a bunch of weird goofy prison tattoos, historically, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't do that, and in fact he probably would and would probably do it all himself, because he's that kind of wacky guy.

Personally, the only real complaint I have is that I wish his hair was longer, but that's a really nitpicky personal preference. It's a little "punk", with the flashy jacket and all, but I get what they're going for. It'd be nice if we get at least one scene with a more traditional "purple tuxedo" look but I won't cry about it if we don't. I'm mostly concerned with how reptilian and psychotic he comes off in performing the character. He seems more manic than some others, but possibly more sinister at the same time. I'm impatient to see more footage; photographs tell me nothing!

Old 10-28-2015, 08:38 AM   #214
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Black Order Initiate

I'm totally with Leo on this; love the jacket and cane, love the new take on Joker, and why the hell wouldn't he get a bunch of tattoos? Joker loves to stand out in a crowd...

The Joker creating his own species of fish is okay, but getting some grills and tats is too much for you to believe?

Technodrome Moderator: Because we have to chase him.

Technodrome Member: He didnt do anything wrong.

Technodrome Moderator: Because hes the hero Technodrome Forums deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So well hunt him because he can take it. Because hes not our hero. Hes a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A dark knight.
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:02 AM   #215
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Is he wearing Dee Jay's pants from Street Fighter II?
Old 10-28-2015, 09:05 AM   #216
Leo656
The Franchise

Don't get me wrong, I totally get why a lot of people don't like it. It's a whole lot of "different" all at once and most people are still on the fence about this entire DC experiment in general, and thus are going to be extremely critical and unforgiving.

I just don't think it's the end of the world, since the Joker character is such a chameleon anyways. Ledger's version was more of an anarchist take; Leto's version looks to be kind of a punk rock spin on that same basic idea of a violent nihilistic sort of psychopath. I like that because it makes the character very dark and unpredictable, which is as it should be.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:16 PM   #217
Leo656
The Franchise

So Joker will apparently wear his traditional outfit in at least one scene in the film:

I'm glad everyone can now go on to complain about other things.

Also, this totally flew under my radar, but...
Spoiler:
Apparently, the recent rumor is that the next Batman solo film, titled "The Batman", will be loosely based on the "Under The Red Hood" storyline. Apparently DC/WB have a lot of interest in making Jason Todd a major player in upcoming films; they want to position him as a major Batman film villain. We've seen the Robin costume on display in the Batcave in the Batman V Superman trailers, so it's long been all but confirmed that the storyline of Joker killing Robin will be intact in this universe, but so far, there's been a ton of speculation about which Robin that would be, Dick or Jason.

Apparently, Joker killing Jason is the event that leads into Suicide Squad and BvS; it's supposedly why he's locked up, and why his teeth are wrecked, as well. However, either Jason's death was faked OR he somehow comes back from the dead, because he's rumored to re-emerge in "The Batman" as The Red Hood, a murderous vigilante out for revenge on both Batman and the Joker. In "The Batman", Jason/Red Hood tries to frame Batman for a series of murders and convince the world he's finally gone over the edge, with the endgame of manipulating Batman and Joker into a final confrontation, where Jason can ultimately attempt to avenge himself on both.

The Joker is rumored to have a cameo scene in Batman V Superman, and will make his proper "debut" in Suicide Squad, but both are simply the build-up to his role in "The Batman", which is said to be huge. Jason, himself, is rumored to have cameos in both BvS and Suicide Squad, as well, possibly in flashbacks.

Dick Grayson is rumored to be mentioned by name as Nightwing in BvS - contradicting earlier rumors that said he was dead in this film universe - but will appear in the flesh as Nightwing in "The Batman", coming to Batman's aid as he takes on the dual threat of Joker and Red Hood.

We'll see. If true, all of that is awesome. Couldn't really ask for more. Hope!

Last edited by Leo656; 11-25-2015 at 09:41 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:50 PM   #218
CyberCubed
Overlord

So basically its a lead in to the same story we saw animated in a movie a few years ago, where it was already done perfectly.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 09:56 PM   #219
Leo656
The Franchise

Eh, kinda? You can play it a lot darker in an actual movie, for one thing.

Spoiler:
You would complain about a live-action film with Nightwing, Red Hood, and Joker.

Get bent. Whattya want, f*ckin' Mad Hatter? As long as it's good, I don't care if a cartoon did it. You know they're gonna change a bunch of stuff anyway, and about a billion people are going to go see a real movie that would never watch a cartoon, so it's all new to most people who'd go see it. It's also like 4 years away, anyway, that was just a broad strokes outline of what they're rumored to be doing, and they have a lot of time to tweak things. I have a feeling that it won't be as similar to the cartoon as it seems.

They could do a lot worse, frankly. So long as it's good. I mean can you imagine if they tried to adapt any of the Morrison Batman stuff? You'd have people slitting their wrists in the theater screaming "What is going on?!" Be thankful if what's described above is what we do get; a cartoon movie is fine but a "real" movie is a much better place to tell that story.

Old 11-26-2015, 12:09 AM   #220
Slade
god status

Hopefully, all that put an end to the Joker is actually Jason Todd crap that was going around..
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
critics are right, critics are wrong, cybercubedthecritic, cybercubedthesadist, dc comics, echo cubed, fantastic casting, leto=joker, romero>leto, thread for 12 year olds