The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 12-23-2018, 11:04 AM   #41
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
What about lefties who are triggered by someone wishing them "Merry Christmas"?
Even being in a rather liberal region, I have literally never encountered this even once. Not in person. Not online. The vast majority probably never have. (In good part probably because many "lefties" are Christians, or others who still enjoy the secular version.)

And it's more likely that a small, unstable fringe minority gets reported on (or a totally fabricated story makes the rounds) and somehow everyone left of center is supposed to be accountable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
And I've never once heard an Atheist complain about being wished a Merry Christmas. I'm an Atheist myself and it doesn't offend me at all.
Likewise. And my and any other family's secular traditions aren't really anyone else's business.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 12:22 PM   #42
Leo656
The Franchise

Sh*t's weird everywhere you go. My gym has a lot of Muslim and Indian clientele and a lot of them celebrate Christmas in some form or fashion. Not all of them, but more than you might think. And then you get a surprising number of Jewish people who don't celebrate Hanukkah, or much of anything really.

I know for a fact that some people DO take issue with what/how other people celebrate the season, but to me it always seems like someone who isn't around people often, doesn't get out much, and has entirely too much free time to sit around thinking of ways to be annoyed by what other people do despite it in no way affecting them. I'm in a place where people of different beliefs are socially interacting every day and I've never seen anyone getting or giving grief around the holidays. Rather, I'm more used to seeing Muslims and Jews making chit-chat with each other about their respective holiday plans, where they'll be traveling, what their kids are getting, etc. But I do still hear people whine about their ways being "disrespected", and hear about it, but coming from less socially-oriented sources. So I'm inclined to believe that it's more of an "angry shut-in" type of thing.

People who are out and about this time of year are generally just happy that everyone's in a good mood, and they really don't care what kind of "Happy (whatever)" they prefer to have.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 12:48 PM   #43
Prowler
Emperor

Arguing about religion is just pointless, so no wonder most reasonable people don't do that irl. Also, most reasonable people, regardless of their religion, know that most religions have their own sacred holidays and events and try to respect those religion's rights to perform or celebrate them.

This is basically our conversation about there being a disconnect between people on the internet and in real life again. People who go around taking offence to "Merry Christmas!" of all things really sound like bitter assholes or like someone who doesn't have a life. I don't like Christmas much myself but even why wouldn't take offence to someone wishing me a Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays. Why would I get angry at that? They mean well by that.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 01:44 PM   #44
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Even being in a rather liberal region, I have literally never encountered this even once. Not in person. Not online. The vast majority probably never have. (In good part probably because many "lefties" are Christians, or others who still enjoy the secular version.)

And it's more likely that a small, unstable fringe minority gets reported on (or a totally fabricated story makes the rounds) and somehow everyone left of center is supposed to be accountable.
I suspect that there are very few people in real life who actually has issues with this.

However, both sides on Internet love to play up fear-mongering and hysteria and turn any rumor or random display of insanity into an ideological battleground.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote