The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 07-19-2015, 11:28 AM   #1121
Dawnatello Turtle Chick
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
A couple more months and I'll be free to spend my spare cash however I please! First thing I'm doing is buying Gargoyle's Quest II on the NES. Don't care if I pay sh*tty eBay premium! IT'S HAPPENING!
Yay! I'm sure it hasn't been easy waiting this long... Post pics as soon as you get it!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
Good to hear it's working out so far, if hectic for you DTC. How many things from my warning list have occurred so far?!
What's nice about this store (hence why I like them and why I wanted to work here) is that they give VERY fair trade credit so not many people gripe about it unless they had an over inflated view of the game's worth to begin with. Also, we automatically include a 90 warranty on everything so I don't have to do that ... So the only things from the list really are- one guy looked like he'd stolen a copy of Battlefield Hardline (from somewhere else) so we lowballed him an offer and he left AND that a lady was clueless that the Wii U was made by Nintendo.... I... don't get it, but hey, I guess it shows that Nintendo's market saturation on the Wii U isn't quite there? Idk... The more I told her about it, the more she wanted it though. She wanted to play the "old games" as she put it (Virtual Console!! ) and her kids wanted to play the "new games" so the Wii U made perfect sense...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecto Jedi View Post
At the bottom of that Gauntlet II box is a notice, partly obscured: "...may only be used with the Mattel or [...] versions of the Nintendo Entertainment System."

...There was a Mattel version of the Nintendo Entertainment System?
I also am perplexed by the label... perhaps is it referring to a peripheral/adapter like the four score...? So you can hook up the 4 controllers?

As promised, pics of my pick ups! Not pictured, I found a GBA SP at a garage sale with a friend of mine and picked it up (I like that black one better than my silver one) then I gave my silver one to my friend as she didn't have one yet. Also not pictured I got Donkey Kong Country for SNES so I'm only missing DKC2.

Nothing horribly exciting here, but we were excited to get the steelbook Final Fantasy XII (my husband used to have it before I met him but it somehow evaporated?), finally picked up Donkey Konga, the Metal Slug Xbox games are a little harder to find and that Mega Man Anniversary Collection is also neat one but a little harder to find out in the wild. All of these were pretty cheap, nothing too expensive. Also finally got Star Wars KOTOR so we have both I & II now...

Got my hubby Star Ocean (PS1) and (not pictured) Final Fantasy Tactics PS1 since he loves but doesn't have those anymore. Filled int a few holes in my SNES/N64 collection- been waiting to find a nice label on a Star Fox cart for what feels like forever... He's such a handsome fox... needs a pretty label. Very excited about finding Final Fight and Secret of Monkey Island on Sega CD. Also, we didn't have either of those PS2 controller colors at home...

Here's where it starts to get really exciting... my buddy traded in a Yobo retro Famicom system so I bought it (only $15... very nice!) and after he realized I was the one that bought it he came in and gave me 2 Famicom games- Super Arabian and Kid Niki 2. I FREAKING LOVE KID NIKI 2... Oh my goodnes, the Japanese goodness that abounds in this game... I don't even know where to start... After he realized that I also collect Neo Geo Pocket Color stuff he brought in some duplicates of his and I bought 2 of them from him.... which I just realized I photographed upside down... for the WIN! Lol... Puzzle Link and Pocket Tennis Color. Fun stuff.

Here's my very, very, very favorite, luckiest, once in a lifetime score.... Virtual Boy, works perfectly, with a game (Galactic Pinball) with manual... and BOX! For a grand total of $0. Yup, free. It was broken so I asked if I could buy the box. My boss says, you can just have the box... He said the system didn't work so I could have it too. I took it home fiddled with it for a while and it just had a loose wire. It now works perfectly. I told my boss about it and he says well, just keep it, you were smart enough to fix it so it belongs with you plus I know you will cherish it. Best boss ever!
Old 07-19-2015, 02:17 PM   #1122
Mayhem
Foot Elite

Nice scores there

The NGPC carts are Japanese, correct? I was trying to identify from the tiny product codes, cos they are definitely not the US versions. I own complete European and Japanese NGPC sets, so I love the system
Old 07-23-2015, 04:25 PM   #1123
Ecto Jedi
Denki Wo Kitte Kudasai

Anyone in the Toronto area (hi, Peanut) been to A&C Games lately, on Spadina?

They've expanded. The place is huge now. Without a doubt the best "game store" in town to browse for retro stuff. Prices are out to lunch, as you'd expect, so browsing's mostly what you'll be doing. Still, though, pics!

Ecto Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 11:04 PM   #1124
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

Quote:

They've expanded. The place is huge now. Without a doubt the best "game store" in town to browse for retro stuff. Prices are out to lunch, as you'd expect, so browsing's mostly what you'll be doing. Still, though, pics!
Oh man! I was in town a few months back and stumbled across the new location. I lived in Toronto between 2006 and 2008, and I remember stopping into their little old store further up Spadina, attached to a big apartment building. (Actually, I think my then-landlord owned that building as well and had their office there, so I've got... less-than-fond memories of the place.)

And you're right - the prices are high as a rule, but the selection was pretty impressive, and it looks like they might have even more since then. Definitely a cool place to browse around, even if you just look at it as a free video game museum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnatello Turtle Chick View Post
http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/...s/IMG_6063.jpg
Here's where it starts to get really exciting... my buddy traded in a Yobo retro Famicom system so I bought it (only $15... very nice!) and after he realized I was the one that bought it he came in and gave me 2 Famicom games- Super Arabian and Kid Niki 2. I FREAKING LOVE KID NIKI 2... Oh my goodnes, the Japanese goodness that abounds in this game... I don't even know where to start... After he realized that I also collect Neo Geo Pocket Color stuff he brought in some duplicates of his and I bought 2 of them from him.... which I just realized I photographed upside down... for the WIN! Lol... Puzzle Link and Pocket Tennis Color. Fun stuff.

http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/...s/IMG_6064.jpg
Here's my very, very, very favorite, luckiest, once in a lifetime score.... Virtual Boy, works perfectly, with a game (Galactic Pinball) with manual... and BOX! For a grand total of $0. Yup, free. It was broken so I asked if I could buy the box. My boss says, you can just have the box... He said the system didn't work so I could have it too. I took it home fiddled with it for a while and it just had a loose wire. It now works perfectly. I told my boss about it and he says well, just keep it, you were smart enough to fix it so it belongs with you plus I know you will cherish it. Best boss ever!
Whoa! Very jealous of the Virtual Boy - I've wanted one for a while, though it'd be more as a collector's item than something I'd really play, and it's hard to justify that kind of expense. A pawn shop in town actually has one in the box behind their counter, and I'm way too scared to inquire about the price.

Your Famicom cartridges reminded me... One of my best friends was in Japan in the summer several years ago, and he brought me back a gift from a game store there:

I don't assume these are especially rare or anything in Japan, but it's still very cool having them.

These were also included in the lot, though neither of us know what they're called... There's a sci-fi action-y game, a dungeon crawler, some text-based stuff. Pretty much impossible to play, not knowing Japanese, but still cool to have. And hey, if anyone knows what they are, I'd appreciate the assistance!

Last edited by Bry; 07-23-2015 at 11:27 PM.
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 11:07 PM   #1125
Leo656
The Franchise

$40 for Karate Kid. "Hey buddy, I got a better idea: How about you pay ME $40 to not wipe my ass with that f***in' game cartridge, eh?" Mah goodness.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 12:50 AM   #1126
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

How the hell did you make out that price when the number is so impossibly small?
Old 07-24-2015, 12:55 AM   #1127
Leo656
The Franchise

I'unno dude, the photos are a nice wide 6 inches corner-to-corner on my laptop screen, I clearly see $39.95.

I mean... I'm Zeus. That's what I meant to say.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 02:29 AM   #1128
Mayhem
Foot Elite

$24.99 for SNES Monopoly is a bit extortionate too

(yeah, good eyesight with the glasses on, which is the whole point heh, then again, I'm good at reading terrible handwriting)
Old 07-24-2015, 03:55 AM   #1129
Powder
So tired of this place

Those prices are ballsweat but it's definitely a beautiful sight.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 04:16 AM   #1130
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
(yeah, good eyesight with the glasses on, which is the whole point heh, then again, I'm good at reading terrible handwriting)
Yeah I can't make out very many prices except in the third picture. And I'm never without my glasses on.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:06 AM   #1131
Mayhem
Foot Elite

Then again, I'm partially short sighted, which probably helps too.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:28 AM   #1132
Dawnatello Turtle Chick
Mad Scientist

That store really does look like a video game museum, lol. Complete with overpriced gift store...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
Oh man! I was in town a few months back and stumbled across the new location. I lived in Toronto between 2006 and 2008, and I remember stopping into their little old store further up Spadina, attached to a big apartment building. (Actually, I think my then-landlord owned that building as well and had their office there, so I've got... less-than-fond memories of the place.)

And you're right - the prices are high as a rule, but the selection was pretty impressive, and it looks like they might have even more since then. Definitely a cool place to browse around, even if you just look at it as a free video game museum.

Whoa! Very jealous of the Virtual Boy - I've wanted one for a while, though it'd be more as a collector's item than something I'd really play, and it's hard to justify that kind of expense. A pawn shop in town actually has one in the box behind their counter, and I'm way too scared to inquire about the price.

Your Famicom cartridges reminded me... One of my best friends was in Japan in the summer several years ago, and he brought me back a gift from a game store there:

http://s10.postimg.org/jw2chw9cp/fami01.jpg

I don't assume these are especially rare or anything in Japan, but it's still very cool having them.

http://s10.postimg.org/c4lmjc57d/fami02.jpg

These were also included in the lot, though neither of us know what they're called... There's a sci-fi action-y game, a dungeon crawler, some text-based stuff. Pretty much impossible to play, not knowing Japanese, but still cool to have. And hey, if anyone knows what they are, I'd appreciate the assistance!
The top left red label is- Jarinko Chie: Bakudan Musume no Shiawase Sagashi (Chie the Brat: Bomb daughter finding happiness is the translation)
Bottom, blue label is, well obviously, Daiva. But you knew that already, lol.
Top right white label is Yushi He no Tabi- Deep Dungeon III
Bottom right is Haja no Fuuin- Miracle Warriors: Seal of the Dark Lord.

Hope that helps. Yeah, playing some of these games in Japanese is kind of hard/impossible. I picked up several more from my friend and in one of them you are running around avoiding creepy old men and pigs. When you go in a house/building a bunch of Japanese text pops up and you are then thrown out to face more creepy old men (that you can't apparently kill) and pigs (which are pop-able). The game is called Woody Poco and so far I'm very confused, lol. I also got Atlantis no Nazo where you run through the first level trying to avoid getting pooped on by birds (which is lethal?) and I don't know what happens after that because I kept getting crapped on... I got the Goonies (waaaaay better than the NES sequel) and Ninja Taro which is a blast! You are an adorable (yet deadly) ninja and battle other ninjas while jumping up and down a tower/building. I also got (from the same guy) Parodius From Myth to Laughter which is a crazy shoot-em up where you can pick a spaceship or you know a penguin or octopus. Cause.... Japan! It's hilarious and prompted me to go ahead and break my tabs out on my SNES so it can play Super Famicom games, been meaning to for a while now, but now I had a reason!

The Mario & Zelda games are neat, very nice! I'm going to try to get those as well eventually. Is that Famicom a new retro release? Kind of like they've been doing with the Atari 2600, Intellivision, Colecovision, Sega Genesis and the like here in the states?

The Virtual Boy is for me the same way, I'm not going to play it much so I couldn't really justify the price it usually goes for but for the price I got it for, I'm ecstatic! My friends and sisters and I have had fun with it already though. It's one of those things that is definitely a conversation piece!
Old 07-24-2015, 10:38 AM   #1133
Peanut
Second Gear

Quote:
Haven't been anywhere in quite a long time. We should go down there some time and case the joint.

Quote:
I also got Atlantis no Nazo where you run through the first level trying to avoid getting pooped on by birds (which is lethal?) and I don't know what happens after that because I kept getting crapped on.
Legendary kusoge and one of the most inscrutable "secret hunting" games of the era, if not ever. It puts Milon's Secret Castle to shame in that regard. There's a classic episode of Gamecenter CX that you should check out should you ever get the chance.

I love Famicom stuff, but it's also sort of a money pit. In my experience it's better to really research Famicom games and cherry pick things you find interesting, rather than make bulk purchases or grab sh*t based on cart art, because so many of them are either A) complete trash or B) complete trash and filled with complicated Japanese. That said, it's a cheap collection to build, so I know a lot of people who have hundreds of Famicom carts. Of course, they don't/can't play the majority of them and the ones they do are the stuff we got over here that they can parse. Anything worth owning that is Famicom exclusive is usually a bit more expensive.

The Famicom Bry has there is the same one I have - the redesigned AV Famicom. Aside from the fact it doesn't have Player 2 mic support, it's the Famicom to own, because it uses AV cables instead of RF and you can swap controllers. It's basically the Japanese equivalent of the NES top loader.

Quote:
I also got (from the same guy) Parodius From Myth to Laughter which is a crazy shoot-em up where you can pick a spaceship or you know a penguin or octopus. Cause.... Japan! It's hilarious and prompted me to go ahead and break my tabs out on my SNES so it can play Super Famicom games, been meaning to for a while now, but now I had a reason!
Oh, god! Way back in the thread I talked about my love of Parodius. I paid a bit of a premium to get perfect conditon boxed copies of the Sufami games, because I just love them so much. Those games are all incredible and I don't even like shooters. Stuff like Sexy Parodius for the Saturn is what I live for. It's a crime that the series has been relegated to Konami's f*cking pachislot hell hole for almost 20 years.

Last edited by Peanut; 07-24-2015 at 10:55 AM.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:57 AM   #1134
Dawnatello Turtle Chick
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
Haven't been anywhere in quite a long time. We should go down there some time and case the joint.

Legendary kusoge and one of the most inscrutable "secret hunting" games of the era, if not ever. It puts Milon's Secret Castle to shame in that regard. There's a classic episode of Gamecenter CX that you should check out should you ever get the chance.

I love Famicom stuff, but it's also sort of a money pit. In my experience it's better to really research Famicom games and cherry pick things you find interesting, rather than make bulk purchases or grab sh*t based on cart art, because so many of them are either A) complete trash or B) complete trash and filled with complicated Japanese. That said, it's a cheap collection to build, so I know a lot of people who have hundreds of Famicom carts. Of course, they don't/can't play the majority of them and the ones they do are the stuff we got over here that they can parse. Anything worth owning that is Famicom exclusive is usually a bit more expensive.

The Famicom Bry has there is the same one I have - the redesigned AV Famicom. Aside from the fact it doesn't have Player 2 mic support, it's the Famicom to own, because it uses AV cables instead of RF and you can swap controllers. It's basically the Japanese equivalent of the NES top loader.
That's kinda what I figured on that AV, looks like the way to go, but my yobo works for now... All these games I got were from a friend of mine and he told me a little of what to expect from each game. I just need to find the time to sit down and mess with them a little bit more. I'm enjoying all these so far, but he did warn me that you can't judge a cart by it's cover as well and to research anything that looks interesting before buying it. My son (he's 4) and I really love playing that Ninja Taro game. I'll have to check out that video after work or sometime...

Now I see why you love Parodius so much, it's just.... so much loveable awesome nonsense!!! You can't play it and not be happy, it's just NOT possible. And yeah! What's the deal Konami???
Old 07-24-2015, 12:46 PM   #1135
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

Quote:
The top left red label is- Jarinko Chie: Bakudan Musume no Shiawase Sagashi (Chie the Brat: Bomb daughter finding happiness is the translation)
Bottom, blue label is, well obviously, Daiva. But you knew that already, lol.
Top right white label is Yushi He no Tabi- Deep Dungeon III
Bottom right is Haja no Fuuin- Miracle Warriors: Seal of the Dark Lord.
Oh wow - thanks!

Yeah, Daiva was a bit obvious. Haha. But very good to know the rest. I'll do a little research on those sometime. And "Chie the Brat: Bomb Daughter Finding Happiness" is just the best title.

Quote:
Hope that helps. Yeah, playing some of these games in Japanese is kind of hard/impossible. I picked up several more from my friend and in one of them you are running around avoiding creepy old men and pigs. When you go in a house/building a bunch of Japanese text pops up and you are then thrown out to face more creepy old men (that you can't apparently kill) and pigs (which are pop-able). The game is called Woody Poco and so far I'm very confused, lol. I also got Atlantis no Nazo where you run through the first level trying to avoid getting pooped on by birds (which is lethal?) and I don't know what happens after that because I kept getting crapped on... I got the Goonies (waaaaay better than the NES sequel) and Ninja Taro which is a blast! You are an adorable (yet deadly) ninja and battle other ninjas while jumping up and down a tower/building. I also got (from the same guy) Parodius From Myth to Laughter which is a crazy shoot-em up where you can pick a spaceship or you know a penguin or octopus. Cause.... Japan! It's hilarious and prompted me to go ahead and break my tabs out on my SNES so it can play Super Famicom games, been meaning to for a while now, but now I had a reason!
I definitely want to find a couple of those now.

Quote:
The Mario & Zelda games are neat, very nice! I'm going to try to get those as well eventually. Is that Famicom a new retro release? Kind of like they've been doing with the Atari 2600, Intellivision, Colecovision, Sega Genesis and the like here in the states?
I think it's an official release/redesign from 1993 - very similar to the NES-101 model. You can see the section on the Japanese version, the HVC-101, further below on the Wiki link. Same box. It's still got the original manual and paperwork inside, too - and even a bit of plastic wrap still stuck to the bottom.

Quote:
The Virtual Boy is for me the same way, I'm not going to play it much so I couldn't really justify the price it usually goes for but for the price I got it for, I'm ecstatic! My friends and sisters and I have had fun with it already though. It's one of those things that is definitely a conversation piece!
Oh, for sure! It's such an interesting part of Nintendo history, and must be awesome to have on display. You definitely lucked out there!
Old 07-26-2015, 04:03 PM   #1136
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

Location: Inside the Technodrome; Shredderville; Saskatchewan
Quote:

plan on going there next time i'm back in Toronto, which will be most likely next Summer

Add me: PSN/XBL; Nintendo Network ID: BDS-3.1.6; Switch FC: SW-3378-5206-8020

TMNT Fan Club: http://sot.ag/4jZR0

Visit My Wish List:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=30904

My Collection:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40276
TheCanadiandrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:33 AM   #1137
oldmanwinters
Overlord

I was at one of my local used book and game stores this weekend and saw an in-box copy of SNES Turtles in Time priced at about $124. Insane.

Also, apparently the prices on loose Mega Man X (the original) carts continue to climb near to the $40 range. I never would have predicted that when I got into SNES cart collecting about 7 years ago. It was a pretty common $10 game.

Anybody know of other game carts that have recently skyrocketed in asking price on the after market?

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:50 PM   #1138
Peanut
Second Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Anybody know of other game carts that have recently skyrocketed in asking price on the after market?
Define recently, because the Turtles in Time and Mega Man X rise have been going for a few years. The last 3-4 years in particular have caused prices to balloon significantly on the most popular games for most retro console collections. So many people seem to have gotten into retro collecting that the common hits have suddenly become worth 4-5X more than their going price. Super Castlevania IV is almost exactly like Mega Man X, in that it's pretty close to a $50 game that would have cost you $10-$15 5 years ago.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 04:39 AM   #1139
Mayhem
Foot Elite

I shudder to think what my CIB copies of games such as Megaman X3, FF3, Chrono Trigger and such might sell for now. Already aware of Earthbound's price, that seemed a "bit" expensive to me when I bought it around 2005 for $85 CIB.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:48 AM   #1140
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Ugh. Don't remind me of Earthbound's price, I'm going to try to take the plunge soon so I can get it for my partner who doesn't have the cart, just VC and Japanese Mother 1 + 2.

Can someone explain why some of these games go up in price like this? I can SORTA understand with some games like Earthbound that appear to have not been produced in as big of numbers, but games like Ocarina of Time and Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn that were never in short supply have prices that I'm simply NOT paying for. Why does this happen? The Virtual Console N64 games are only 10 dollars IIRC, so why the hell would I pay four/five times that for the physical cart? This is affecting so many people that just want to PLAY these great games and don't have a computer good enough to emulate them [in the case of Gamecube stuff and beyond]. It shouldn't cost an arm and a leg to play a great game.

Last edited by Netkeeper; 08-04-2015 at 07:00 AM.
Netkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classics, nostalgia, peanut, video games