The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 01-16-2024, 11:40 PM   #61
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I wonder if Tom was at least offered the title back. That was, after all, always the original plan.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 12:08 AM   #62
TheLabRat
Hench Mutant

The Last Ronin series is IDW new cash cow so far. If fans weren't interested in Marie and new generation turtles, they might just make "Last Ronin: What If…?" or something else.
TheLabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 05:54 AM   #63
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Primer View Post
The creatives don't owe anyone anything except a book, good or bad, and I think it's weird to treat a harmless comic book or show or whatever as a personal attack because you don't like it.
Unless "creatives" directly attack audience for disliking it.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 10:03 AM   #64
Cloudrunner
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamut810 View Post
I like Alopex pre-Sophie. I do not like ValleyGirl Alopex. Bring back Early Alopex!
Alopex was my favorite new character in the book for a long while. She had a lot of ups and downs though, where they seemingly forgot about the character or teamed her up pointlessly with Angel. Honestly, I saw the writing on the wall way back during the Alopex/Angel side comic where they went into Toad Baron's realm. That was written by Sophie, and it showed Alopex behaving entirely different to her character, like a goofy valley girl.

I knew that's what the character would turn into if Sophie was the main writer. And I wasn't wrong. I was on board with the Raph romance thing since it had a long buildup and payoff but there was no reason that romance had to result in such a drastic character shift.

They eventually tried to course correct and make Alopex a ninja again after making her get into an argument with Raph but like... what even came out of it? She just kinda acted like a bitch and left. Meh. I think any hope of redeeming the character and making her interesting again is lost. Probably should have just killed her off, would have made a better impetus for Raph going off on his own again like they've decided to do recently.
Cloudrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 10:21 AM   #65
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I genuinely believe he'll jettison most of the IDW supporting cast and they'll only appear in mini-series or specials. No way are Alopex, Jennika, all the mutant town characters like Lita the weasels, etc. sticking around.

However the thing that will actually bother me is if Splinter is either brought back to life or Shredder becomes evil again, at that point you might as well just do a real reboot then. I can't see any new writer resisting the urge to write Splinter or Shredder, and knowing they would be effectively "off limits" with the current continuity feels like something no new writer would like.
You mean no more Bob and Carmen??? How ever will I survive!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I dunno, if it were me, something like "5 Years Later" would make sense. i.e., skip ahead 5 years or so and that's where Vol. 2 starts. Like 90% of the supporting cast is gone, back to basics, etc., and we don't get a lot of information about how things got to there. Then, a combination of new mini-series that that place 5 years ago and little-by-little reveals in the main book, we can fill in the blanks of what happened.
That's... actually a really cool idea. I could totally get on board with something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudrunner View Post
Alopex was my favorite new character in the book for a long while. She had a lot of ups and downs though, where they seemingly forgot about the character or teamed her up pointlessly with Angel. Honestly, I saw the writing on the wall way back during the Alopex/Angel side comic where they went into Toad Baron's realm. That was written by Sophie, and it showed Alopex behaving entirely different to her character, like a goofy valley girl.

I knew that's what the character would turn into if Sophie was the main writer. And I wasn't wrong. I was on board with the Raph romance thing since it had a long buildup and payoff but there was no reason that romance had to result in such a drastic character shift.

They eventually tried to course correct and make Alopex a ninja again after making her get into an argument with Raph but like... what even came out of it? She just kinda acted like a bitch and left. Meh. I think any hope of redeeming the character and making her interesting again is lost. Probably should have just killed her off, would have made a better impetus for Raph going off on his own again like they've decided to do recently.
Agreed; I liked Alopex a lot but she's been criminally misused for years now.
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 11:00 AM   #66
CyberCubed
Overlord

Yeah a brief time skip after issue 150 would make sense, and be an easy way to do a "clean slate" and get rid of a lot of the baggage of all these exta supporting characters that have been lingering around. Not just the ones Sophie introduced but ones from Tom Waltz run too that haven't done anything but merely exist for awhile.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 11:21 AM   #67
BornAgain
Foot Soldier

Five years is a bit much. They don’t *need* to be teenagers but I don’t think they need to skip through the remaining years of youth. You can set a new slate in 1-2 years I’d think.
BornAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 11:27 AM   #68
Cloudrunner
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
You mean no more Bob and Carmen??? How ever will I survive!?!?
lol Bob and Carmen. The most pointlessly hyped additions to the cast. Who in the world even ****ing cares that they're here?
Cloudrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 12:48 PM   #69
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornAgain View Post
Five years is a bit much. They don’t *need* to be teenagers but I don’t think they need to skip through the remaining years of youth. You can set a new slate in 1-2 years I’d think.
Now I'm curious how many years have actually passed in-universe in IDW

ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 12:59 PM   #70
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornAgain View Post
It depends on how time moves in IDW TMNT. Is it like Mirage TMNT, where time is passing AND they're getting older? Or is it like Marvel and DC where time is passing but nobody's really getting any older?
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 02:40 PM   #71
BornAgain
Foot Soldier

Yeah, you guys are asking the right questions but it might be one of those things we don’t want to tug at too hard. I remember when it was confirmed that barely a year had passed during Peter Parker’s time as Spider-Man in the Bendis & Bagley USM comic and I sort of wish I never knew. Comic timelines can be awkward.
BornAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 02:47 PM   #72
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Buddhism

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Buddhism
Buddhism is a major relgiion in Japan, and such references in TMNT should not be a problem.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 03:06 PM   #73
CyberCubed
Overlord

IDW did a few Christmas issues in different years so at least a few years have passed. Given we have 150 main issues and another 100+ with all the mini-series and specials, I'd find it hard to believe if at least 5 years hasn't passed by now. All these big events fighting Shredder, Krang, Rat King, Bishop, etc. all can't be happening week after week either. There was also a time gap during the mutant town stuff after Splinter died.
Old 01-17-2024, 04:07 PM   #74
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Buddhism is a major relgiion in Japan, and such references in TMNT should not be a problem.
I did not mean it in a condenacending manner, but enlightening children about environmental issues, and both Hinduism and Buddhism religions in Archie Adventures. I would much rather learn the basics of other religions and the political pushing of the greenhouse effect than gender confusion.
Old 01-17-2024, 04:29 PM   #75
Galactus
Foot Elite

Jason Aaron has written some great stuff, some awful stuff and some so-so stuff so this could go in any direction.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 06:30 PM   #76
CyberCubed
Overlord

Tom Waltz seems excited about him being the next writer:

https://twitter.com/TomWaltz/status/1747326067919217042

Though since Tom technically isn't an IDW employee anymore, I wonder if he consulted with him about any of the continuity or anything.
Old 01-17-2024, 11:34 PM   #77
member_removed
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
Jason Aaron has written some great stuff, some awful stuff and some so-so stuff so this could go in any direction.
I've always meant to read Scalped. There was a period there in the late 90's and early 00's where I pretty much follow anything released by Vertigo.

No, you take the ugly one!

I'll take the ugly one!

Which one's the ugly one?
member_removed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 12:10 AM   #78
Shargor
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by member_removed View Post
I've always meant to read Scalped. There was a period there in the late 90's and early 00's where I pretty much follow anything released by Vertigo.
Scalped is an incredible comic. One of the crown jewels of the 00s Vertigo. Highly recommended regardless of the Aaron/TMNT connection.
Shargor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 05:58 AM   #79
TheLabRat
Hench Mutant

There are a lot of problems with this comic.

- Pointless bloated cast who get more spotlight than the Turtles. Original Four Turtles are no longer the main characters, more like side characters in their own book.

- In the early stories, the turtles can beat horde of thugs and Old Hob. After that, they even beat Shredder and Karai in the first war against Foot. Now? Even some minor villains can beat them. They have to rely on others to defeat most villains. Honestly, no one likes to see enemies become more dangerous while the main characters become weaker.

- Some villains, like Null, Stockman, Krang or Ch'rell, are even more passive than saturday morning cartoon villains. Even in AG, they're not actually involed much in the story. Only Dr. Jasper Barlow did something noteworthy after AG arc. Also, the writers try to pretend villains like Karai and Hob are anti-heroes. Even if the crime they commit are serious, they can still get away with it without any consequences.

- Some big event like City at War, Armageddon Game wasted many issues on superfluous plots and mess, and then at the last second a deus ex machina to clean up the remaining big threat that no one was dealing with the whole time. Especially Armageddon Game arc has two or three different comics are running at the same time to present this entire story arc and it's all so badly put together and sloppy and convoluted.
TheLabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 02:07 PM   #80
CyberCubed
Overlord

This is why a brand new writer is a good thing. The comic had gotten stale even before Sophie came on full time and felt like it was just retreading itself for awhile. A lot of the plots from before lingered into these 50 issues as well and some of them are still not done.

New blood and writing style is much needed.