The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 01-27-2017, 12:31 PM   #41
oldmanwinters
Overlord

3 days away from launch and the game is finally listed on the Steam store, but not for pre-order.

A new trailer video explains more of the (probably convoluted) story. Apparently, Marian does get kidnapped again... and the brothers head to Japan... and face a mysterious enemy who is pulling the strings to unite all their former enemy gangs.

My guess is that Marian gets revealed to be under some kinda of spell or something and be at least one of the mystery bosses.

And the official website has now added "Actions" and "Special" sections to the main page. Certainly lots of techniques.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:15 PM   #42
oldmanwinters
Overlord

First review I've been able to find and it's rather "ho hum."
http://www.gameinformer.com/games/do...-informer.aspx

View my sketch work!
Old 01-30-2017, 05:20 AM   #43
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
First review I've been able to find and it's rather "ho hum."
http://www.gameinformer.com/games/do...-informer.aspx
Sounds like someone doesn't like its retro style gameplay.

Last edited by TigerClaw; 01-30-2017 at 05:26 AM.
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:14 PM   #44
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Sounds like someone doesn't like its retro style gameplay.
I haven't seen a positive review yet. And I'd say with good reason. NES DD has aged horribly.
Ninjinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:10 PM   #45
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Time for my take.

Overall, I enjoy the game. For the Steam price, it's a decent buy if you are a Double Dragon completist... of which I'm probably one of the few, I guess.

But the game has real problems, which makes it a disappointment for me, because I believe it could have been much better.

I did not expect to beat the story mode on my first playthrough, but I succeeded on my very last life. Overall, the game is too easy and only provides a challenge when: (a) 5-6 enemies rush you and cheap shot you while attacking another foe or (b) attacks that deplete half your life bar seen late in the game by Ashida, Casey, and Shannon. (What a bunch of stupid boss villain names, BTW).

Speaking of the new characters... I really like the Jake character's wild wrestling moveset and the weird body slams seen by some of the later Abobo variations. Kodani the sumo wrestler looks cool, but moves so slow that he's only dangerous to hit you when you are distracted fighting another enemy. I found Casey & Shannon to be the lamest final bosses of any Double Dragon game. Apparently, they aren't...
Spoiler:
all bad
... at the end of the day? Dumb ending.
I ripped all the cutscenes and put them here.

I can't complain about the responsiveness of the controls. The uppercuts, hurricane kicks, and knee kicks are ridiculously easy to pull off. Standard jumps and walking off ledges are far more reliable than they were in the DDII platforming sections. I can't say I ever died in this game because of frustration with the controls. One thing I found annoying was the odd way I hold my Xbox controller to simultaneously press down A & B buttons on every attack kinda makes my hand hurt, so I guess I need to reconfigure the layout.

The storyline is a disappointment to me, even though I know better than to expect anything ambitious. But the developers made the decision to make this a direct followup to DDII NES... which features one of the most epic endings despite its confusingness. I was hoping that meant this game would build upon the legacy of the Mysterious Warrior and that cryptic "Legend of the Shadow": "If the illusion spreads, the evil will live again. But if two dragons soar through the sky, an angel will fall to the earth. . . . Soon I will die and you will join me." So... what's that mean? I was hoping this game would take a shot at some imaginative interpretation of that ominous warning. But no... this game is all about
Spoiler:
two angry women trying to take over the world with handguns until Billy and Jimmy tell them there's a better way to live.
The whole plot twist with

There's a number of glitches to this game, which I'm seeing posted online, but the most obvious one is that almost every stage allows the player to gain immunity to most enemy attacks by moving to the absolute bottom or top of the screen.

The biggest problem I have with this game is the pacing, the most underrated aspect of DDII NES and the thing that ruined DDIII NES for me more than anything else. DDII was very strategic about enemy placement and reveals, never forcing you to fight more than two enemies simultaneously but making creative use of environments to create real difficulty. Every boss or mini-boss appearance became a tense ordeal, and there was no need to throw extra minions at the player because the challenge was real. DDIII, on the other hand, maintained the limit of 2 enemies at a time but made the poor choice to simply rush the player with all enemies before even having opportunity to walk across the screen. There's a very similar problem with DDIV. Some stages have some interactivity and even some crafty enemy placement, but most of the game just rushes you with 4 to 6 rogues at once. Once you beat them, you simply walk quietly to the end of the stage to proceed to the next room. Poor pacing, not honoring the tradition of DDII.

I haven't had opportunity to play any of the 2-player modes, but I've tried the Tower Battle a few times and always get busted around floor #24 when the angry women with guns show up and deplete my life bar with a well-placed bullet.

View my sketch work!
Old 02-02-2017, 04:44 PM   #46
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Here is IGN's review, They gave it a 3.5

Old 02-07-2017, 09:43 PM   #47
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

What a horse's ass.

"The game they purposely designed to look and play like an 8-bit arcade port, looks and plays like an 8-bit arcade port. 3.5/10!"
Old 02-07-2017, 10:39 PM   #48
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProactiveMan View Post
What a horse's ass.

"The game they purposely designed to look and play like an 8-bit arcade port, looks and plays like an 8-bit arcade port. 3.5/10!"
I'll stand by all my stated criticisms of this game, but the graphics have nothing to do with the game's problems. I haven't been able to take IGN reviews seriously in years. They sometimes critique a game simply for existing in an age where other genres are more popular with modern audiences, never respecting the fact that some people (not necessarily the mainstream masses they covet for their site traffic) still do appreciate the simple platformer/beat em' up.

View my sketch work!
Old 02-08-2017, 03:47 AM   #49
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I'll stand by all my stated criticisms of this game, but the graphics have nothing to do with the game's problems. I haven't been able to take IGN reviews seriously in years. They sometimes critique a game simply for existing in an age where other genres are more popular with modern audiences, never respecting the fact that some people (not necessarily the mainstream masses they covet for their site traffic) still do appreciate the simple platformer/beat em' up.
Yeah, your review is pretty fair.

I don't know that I'm totally on-board with the game being an NES throwback, but don't think it's fair to criticize something for not being something else. Some of these reviewers are kind of all over the place too - like, they all loved Undertale even though it plays like an anachronism and looks like it was fired out of Pac-Man's butt.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:51 PM   #50
Ninjinister
無問題

Coming to Switch in a little over a week.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:59 AM   #51
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Got this for Switch and managed to get to level 7 before losing all my lives.

Last Movie Watched: Leprechaun Origins (2014).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E11).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote