The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 10-20-2015, 10:55 PM   #9241
Powder
So tired of this place

Totally agreed, it's the Yoshi game we've all been waiting for. Maaaaaaaaaad good. & what a soundtrack!

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:55 AM   #9242
Peanut
Second Gear

Yoshi is great. I can't wait to play more of it once I finally get it back from my nephew.

In the meantime, the first episode of Tales from the Borderlands was available for free, so I figured I'd laugh at how bad a Telltale/Borderlands crossover game could actually be and tried it out.

Holy. Sh*t. It is incredible. It's the best thing Telltale has ever done. They made me CARE about Borderlands as more than just a grindfest of a shooter. It has retroactively made me not as angry at Borderlands 2. I ended up buying the season pass and ran through all 5 episodes (5 just hit yesterday) in a few days. I cannot stress how mindblown I am that I loved it so much. I have some very strong (and harsh) opinions about both TT adventure games and the Borderlands "universe" but this series has destroyed them.

I want a season 2. I implore people to at least give the first episode a try. It's free!
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 06:53 AM   #9243
Freeman
Hench Mutant

Me and my gf are in between with New Super Mario WiiU and Wooly World
Having tons of fun with both but finishing neither of them

Also we and my best friend also got Zelda TriForce, so I guess we are going to be a bit busy in the next months
Old 10-23-2015, 05:27 PM   #9244
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post

Also we and my best friend also got Zelda TriForce, so I guess we are going to be a bit busy in the next months
I scored myself a copy of that too. I don't see myself playing with anyone, but at least it can be played alone. The only thing though, is how a friend pointed out a review to me that says it's difficult to play alone. I hope it's not all that bad though.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 10:02 PM   #9245
Dawnatello Turtle Chick
Mad Scientist

I haven't gotten a copy of the new Yoshi game yet but my hubby just got a new job so we have to pinch some pennies for a few weeks then I can pick it up! I've been playing some Fire Emblem on GBA of late. I got a GBA Micro from a friend of mine and a copy of Fire Emblem Sacred Stones (also picked up a copy of Fire Emblem for GBA from another friend) so that's been a blast to play through. Randomly enough I bought a copy of Fire Emblem Path of Radiance off the same friend I got Sacred Stones from. It's crazy because you can't ever find ANY Fire Emblem games ANYWHERE and in the matter of 3 days I get 3 of them. Couldn't really afford them at that moment but you can't say no when you come across those. I've been talking up both friends about those games for a while about how if they want to sell them ever, to tell me.... Guess when it rains, it pours!

We bought my son his first GBA SP and he's been playing F-Zero & some Fire Fighter game, lol. He's so adorable!! Our little 4 year old gamer... He took about 30 minutes at my game shop to pick out his newest game. Difficult decisions, lol.
Old 10-25-2015, 10:44 AM   #9246
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
MGSV is so disappointing on so many levels. The structure and flow of the game is absolutely abysmal. If this wasn't Metal Gear I can picture reviews and the general sentiment around the game being far more negative.

Yet another modern game with a needless open world that only detracts from the experience. Got have that bullet point, though. Might end up being the only Metal Gear game I don't finish.
While I have found plenty to love about mgsv, I would agree that it is disappointing on some levels. Ground Zeroes seemed to promise more of what I wanted, with its tight-knit story and excellent level design. Cohesive is the word I would use.

One personal gripe I have had with this series since mgs 4 is the ease of aquiring weapons and shooting everybody out. I totally understand giving the player freedom of playstyle, but the tension loses some of it's flavor when the option to order a rocket launcher or call in an air strike on the enemy is at your constant disposal.
The feeling of being behind enemy lines and making do with what you've got returned in Ground Zeroes, but was quickly scattered by the Phantom Pain's helicopter/support mechanic - which does have it's benefits, all else being said.

If you have not yet, I would recommend pushing on in mgs v, in order to unlock the few "subsistance" missions available, which, imo, are the best the game has to offer, due to the fact that they limit your rescources, sending you into the mission "naked". I also enjoyed missions 12, 13, 20, and 28.

I would love a port of the mg legacy collection to ps4, because this game makes me pine for them in a big way. It's either that or buy a ps3, for me.

Last edited by AquaParade; 10-25-2015 at 11:02 AM.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 04:07 PM   #9247
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

The subsistence missions are the worst part of the game, honestly. They're missions you've done already with modifiers. It's dumb.
Old 10-25-2015, 04:33 PM   #9248
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
The subsistence missions are the worst part of the game, honestly. They're missions you've done already with modifiers. It's dumb.
I see what you mean, but as someone who will replay the missions several times anyway, I like the restrictions of the subsistence misssions.

That's not to say the game isn't lacking more difficulty modes for all the missions. It's a missed opportunity, but I do enjoy what is there.
Old 10-25-2015, 04:36 PM   #9249
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I see what you mean, but as someone who will replay the missions several times anyway, I like the restrictions of the subsistence misssions.
Those missions should have been in the Side-Ops section though, not in the main story mission list.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 04:40 PM   #9250
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Or you know, not in the game at all. But I'm with you.
Old 10-25-2015, 04:40 PM   #9251
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Those missions should have been in the Side-Ops section though, not in the main story mission list.
I suppose, but to me it doesn't really matter where the missions are placed, as opposed to what the missions are. Actually, I would have erased half of the repetitive side-ops and hide more of the unlocks behind missions with difficulty modifiers. Just the hardcore unlocks that mix up the gameplay. Things dedicated players would be interested in.
Old 10-25-2015, 04:42 PM   #9252
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Or you know, not in the game at all. But I'm with you.
Why not have them in the game though?
Metal gear thrives on having multiple difficulty modes. It's a staple of the series.

There is a ton of superfluous stuff in this game, but the subsistence missions are some of the more interesting bits, in my opinion.

- sorry for the double post
Old 10-25-2015, 04:45 PM   #9253
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Difficulty is fine if it's an option. It's not OK when you have to repeat missions to move the story forward. Yes, you can pick and choose which ones you wanna do, but it's poor design all around. Make it optional for people like you, not mandatory.
Old 10-25-2015, 05:07 PM   #9254
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Difficulty is fine if it's an option. It's not OK when you have to repeat missions to move the story forward. Yes, you can pick and choose which ones you wanna do, but it's poor design all around. Make it optional for people like you, not mandatory.
Right. You actually don't have to play any of the repeat missions to advance the story, just the yellow dot missions and, once again, the repetitive side-ops. The game does crap to explain this.

Cubed, now I see what you mean about placement
Old 10-26-2015, 11:04 AM   #9255
Peanut
Second Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
If you have not yet, I would recommend pushing on in mgs v, in order to unlock the few "subsistance" missions available, which, imo, are the best the game has to offer, due to the fact that they limit your rescources, sending you into the mission "naked".
Nah. I'm out for good now that they implemented that bullsh*t online tax and hold your SP funds ransom in their aggressively bad and predatory online trash mode.

Either way, I always play with a limit. I never used the helicopter for anything other than extraction even once. I always play MGS games with a pistol and whatever tools are necessary for a specific job (C4 for blowing things up etc) and nothing else, so I've essentially played every mission "naked" already.

The game isn't good. Straight up. It's the best and the most satisfying a MGS game has ever played, but they did absolutely nothing of interest with those mechanics. It's full of needless bloat; from the ridiculous amount of worthless weaponry and gadgets to the vast, empty and uninteresting maps. It seems like most of the game exists just because it could and not because it should.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:29 PM   #9256
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
Nah. I'm out for good now that they implemented that bullsh*t online tax and hold your SP funds ransom in their aggressively bad and predatory online trash mode.

Either way, I always play with a limit. I never used the helicopter for anything other than extraction even once. I always play MGS games with a pistol and whatever tools are necessary for a specific job (C4 for blowing things up etc) and nothing else, so I've essentially played every mission "naked" already.

The game isn't good. Straight up. It's the best and the most satisfying a MGS game has ever played, but they did absolutely nothing of interest with those mechanics. It's full of needless bloat; from the ridiculous amount of worthless weaponry and gadgets to the vast, empty and uninteresting maps. It seems like most of the game exists just because it could and not because it should.

Interesting take.

Cheers to you on limiting yourself , but I can't get off on handicapping myself to appreciate the game design more. If they give me the options to use a full arsenal of resources, I feel inclined to. I need my tools taken away to appreciate this game fully. Both my own personal issue and slight on the game design.

The subsistence missions don't even start you with a pistol, however, and items that you will require, like c4, need to be found within the missions by interrogating enemies for their location or basic searching. I wouldn't say playing the game in subsistence mode is essentially the same as only using a "pistol and whatever tools you need". The point is that they don't let you take the tools you need.

You aren't interested in subsistence but the difference is worth pointing out. Not to challenge the fact that you could do it, just stressing the enjoyment I had with it. You are forced to use mechanics like scoping the enviornment, marking, and interrogation for intel, because your buddies aren't there to do it all for you.

I would say the game is a chore to love. There is plenty of great, fulfilling scenarios to be had, surrounded by filler and pacing that offfers no crescendo. You never feel the stakes rise like they do in previous MGS games, possibly due to the pacing of the game, or just the general "episode" format. Having the least epic final boss in a mainline metal gear game probably doesn't help matters.

The very bittersweet legacy the game will leave behind is most easily marked by the embarrassingly sizeable "neverbegameover" subreddit full of hardcore fans trying to find evidence of more story content that is secretly on it's way in some grand Kojima finale, when really what we got is all there is.

All that being said, there are a few missions in this game that step on most anything I've played. The first mission in Africa (13) is very well done, for example. The games "twist" is very damn cool, imo, but sure to be divisive. I'll find more to enjoy in this game, but it doesn't live up to the standards set by its predecessors.

Last edited by AquaParade; 10-26-2015 at 09:27 PM.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:26 AM   #9257
Icebot
Foot Elite

Just played the NES games Kid Icarus and Super Mario Brothers 2.
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:02 PM   #9258
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Halo 5 is so much fun, plus it's not a broken mess.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 02:33 PM   #9259
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Halo 5 is so much fun, plus it's not a broken mess.
I would buy an x-box today for halo 1-3,odst, and 5 if I was just a little more impulsive/short sighted.

How's the music?
Old 10-29-2015, 02:20 AM   #9260
Ninjinister
無問題

Got these two over the past week. Haven't really put a lot of time into either yet...

Tags
awesome, cybercubed the diaper, cybercubed the homophobe, peanut, video games