Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

I love Jolly jack's video

http://youtu.be/cbhL1uGQARw
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:33 AM   #142
pferreira
Foot Elite

I know I'm a bit late on commenting but having heard this news about Michael Bay turning the Turtles into aliens I just have to say it's a bit late for April Fools, isn't it?

Seriously, Bay thinks the fans are overreacting to these decisions (not mutants?) but what if he decided to make Batman an alien from another planet. Would the fans allow that? Hmm....
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:19 PM   #143
TMNTdude87
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
I know I'm a bit late on commenting but having heard this news about Michael Bay turning the Turtles into aliens I just have to say it's a bit late for April Fools, isn't it?
I'd say it's an early joke. Anyway you look at it, if this turns out to be an April Fools joke Paramount better be willing to grant our every wish, because that would be the worst F**K You to the fans.
TMNTdude87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:49 PM   #144
herugrim
Random Punk

Guess I'm the only one who likes to wait until the film comes out to pass judgement.

Also, the original mirage comics are highly overrated. Deviating from them is more likely to be an improvement, though it could easily go either way. Just because it may be different doesn't mean it's bad. That's prejudice.

And the Fox tune was as damn close to an adaption of the Mirage comics as network TV will allow. Much of the dialog is taken directly from the comics, and all the major story arcs for the first few seasons (battle nexus, triceratons, return of the shredder, return to new york, etc...). Wasn't all the doing of Peter Laird (I've read his notes, he was a positive influence without trying to force his original designs in). There are minor differences (Shredder's the biggest, the last few seasons went in a very different direction) but it has far more in common with the comics then it doesn't.
herugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:06 PM   #145
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
No matter how much people like to talk about the 2 or 3 episodes that are vaguely based on Mirage comics and tell you the whole series was like that, the 4Kids series on the whole is like 99.9% non-Mirage material.
I think you're selling 4kids show a bit short here. There's a number of episodes that I'd say are very faithful to the Mirage comic counterpart. Granted it's stuff like "Kirby and the Warp Crystal", "The People's Choice", "Return of Savanti" and the like which wouldn't have much of a problem portraying on a Saturday Morning level but I'd say quite a few were faithful enough.

Even "I Monster" was done faithfuly but stretched out to fill an entire episode. You could argue so was "Sons of the Silent Age" which again probably needed something to pad the ep out, sadly robbing it of it's orignal meaning but then Murphy also did the same in followups to that story in comic form.

Surely you don't begrudge them coming up with original content and twists?

Quote:
I soldiered through a bunch of it and was really looking forward to the 4Kids "Return to New York," too. I finally arrived at it and found it to be horribly unwatchable to me... like some kind of toy cavalcade of utter nonsense. I wasn't expecting any kind of bloody mayhem or anything like that, but at least something tonally similar, but there's just nothing of the sort there (despite people loving to overstate the "ZOMG, but can you believe they let Leo decapitate an android, even though we see it pick up its own head like 5 seconds later? that was totally Mirage gritty!").
The first two seasons arn't necessarily the best to judge. I appreciate the first season in particular but it's very hamfisted in it's tone with the one liners and it's sad but necessary product placement.

The better and more "gritty" (as far as the show can go) elements generaly do occur in the original stories that dominate the third and fourth seasons.

That being said I do find season 1's "Shredder Strikes Back" to be arguebly better the comic version. Part 2 is par with #10 and at Leo is seen to actualy struggle in 4kids version whereas Leonardo #1 unrealisticaly makes it seem Leo is dispatching an army of Foot Ninja with ease until he spots Shredder and his defeat happens completely off panel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984TMNT View Post
I think it's more than obvious that the following occurred when Bay spoke his now infamous lines:

1) Bay doesn't know a ton about the mythology, and he made a comment that he "thought" was generally "correct", however he didn't realize just how incorrect his phrasing of his statement was

2) Bay's comments were taken directly out of context because he knows damn well that by them being "alien", he was referring to the ooze coming from the Utroms, and therefore ultimately, the Turtles existence is directly tied to Aliens.

Either way - I'm 99% sure and confident (based on comments made by the director since), that they will not be CHANGING anything about the origin. Instead, they will add additional backstory/details to flesh out the origin and the story they are going to tell.

I think everyone can relax on this now....

Is it possible they screw everything up - sure....but like I said....I think there is roughly a 1% chance of that happening.
or...

3) He wanted to get people in an unroar to draw fan and press attention to the film by saying something deliberately provactive.

While the directors statement did put people at he still hasn't actualy confirmed or denied the whole thing invited more speculation.

I'd say there's more than a 1% chance of them screwing everything up. It'd say there's a good chance of screwing up everything up even if they get origin right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herugrim View Post
Guess I'm the only one who likes to wait until the film comes out to pass judgement.

Also, the original mirage comics are highly overrated. Deviating from them is more likely to be an improvement, though it could easily go either way. Just because it may be different doesn't mean it's bad. That's prejudice.
I think waiting to pass any judgement is impossible. It's natural if we hear news about the movie it's going to inspire some feeling in fans. Sure we could wait to make final judgement untill after we've seen it but as I've said before I think it's important to make our feelings known now when there's still a slim chance we can influence the powers that be.

I wouldn't say deviating from the Mirage books always leads to improvements, "City at War" anyone? The people behind this movie don't exactly engender a lot of faith that any deviation they make from pre-established turtle lore will be an improvement.

Last edited by Galactus; 03-31-2012 at 08:54 PM.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:10 AM   #146
mikey22
Stone Warrior

did one of our boys do this?

well done! hitler's thoughts on the turtles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBFJI...10RVAAAAAAAAAA
mikey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:13 AM   #147
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey22 View Post
well done! hitler's thoughts on the turtles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBFJI...10RVAAAAAAAAAA
As they say, "3rd time's the charm"... oye.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:00 AM   #148
marcelangelo
Mad Scientist

Quote:

And the Fox tune was as damn close to an adaption of the Mirage comics as network TV will allow. Much of the dialog is taken directly from the comics, and all the major story arcs for the first few seasons (battle nexus, triceratons, return of the shredder, return to new york, etc...). Wasn't all the doing of Peter Laird (I've read his notes, he was a positive influence without trying to force his original designs in). There are minor differences (Shredder's the biggest, the last few seasons went in a very different direction) but it has far more in common with the comics then it doesn't.
oh man, here it goes....why are the original comics from mirage 'highly overrated'?...can you be a bit more precisely in your point or do you just want to post something that is really against the odds with most people here just to sound interesting?....I think saying the mirage books are highly overrated is like these people who cannot appreceate modern art for example...saying dadaists or surrealistic artists are not doing 'as much of art as traditional painters'....revealing to connesseurs with such statements to everyone that they themselves just don't know what they're talking about...just because you may not see the whole beauty in them doesn't mean that others overrate them...I mean they're classics..and without them NONE of anything turtles would be existing...
marcelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:00 AM   #149
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Part of me wonders if he means the non-canon (in Laird's eyes anyway) guest artist/writers issues, stuff like this:

Than again, the core Mirage mythos is sound, and it did give us one good Turtle movie that borrowed quite a bit from it(despite what Andrew thinks).

Old 04-03-2012, 05:17 AM   #150
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Much of the dialog is taken directly from the comics, and all the major story arcs for the first few seasons (battle nexus, triceratons, return of the shredder, return to new york, etc...). Wasn't all the doing of Peter Laird (I've read his notes, he was a positive influence without trying to force his original designs in).
The Battle Nexus happened in the cartoon first. Also more thoughts from Hitler.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:05 AM   #151
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Oh, joy another one...

Old 04-03-2012, 06:27 AM   #152
Xav
Foot Elite

Hey, you can never get enough Hitler.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:53 AM   #153
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Actually...yes, yes you can.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:36 AM   #154
Donnie
Something from the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
I think you're selling 4kids show a bit short here. There's a number of episodes that I'd say are very faithful to the Mirage comic counterpart. Granted it's stuff like "Kirby and the Warp Crystal", "The People's Choice", "Return of Savanti" and the like which wouldn't have much of a problem portraying on a Saturday Morning level but I'd say quite a few were faithful enough.

Even "I Monster" was done faithfuly but stretched out to fill an entire episode. You could argue so was "Sons of the Silent Age" which again probably needed something to pad the ep out, sadly robbing it of it's orignal meaning but then Murphy also did the same in followups to that story in comic form.

Surely you don't begrudge them coming up with original content and twists?
Agreed. The 4Kids show was heavily based on the comics, and as was said, a lot of lines were taken directly from the books. They made some creative decisions to not only make it different from the comics (which it should be, it's a cartoon) but also have it fit into its own mythos. Saying that the 4Kids series had been "loosely" based on a few issues of the comics is just...not correct.
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:05 PM   #155
gobo
Wacky Action

What's a hitler?

gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:14 PM   #156
Spitfire
Writer • Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelangelo View Post
Agreed. The 4Kids show was heavily based on the comics, and as was said, a lot of lines were taken directly from the books. They made some creative decisions to not only make it different from the comics (which it should be, it's a cartoon) but also have it fit into its own mythos. Saying that the 4Kids series had been "loosely" based on a few issues of the comics is just...not correct.
I think you're mistaking Andrew a bit. A huge part of the comic is it's tone and the 4Kids toon never came close to it even on it's "darkest" episode. All the comic adaptation episodes turned out to be pretty watered down versions of a story that was otherwise a lot grittier and more flushed out. I mean obviously it's a kids series and there can't be decapitations and impalings but it more pulled small story elements. CAW for example couldn't have been a more watered down version of the actual story and honestly there's no reason they couldn't have done it proper. The turtles never really got through the same character growth they did in the comic in large part due to them removing a lot of the major challenges they faced.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:24 PM   #157
Leogeddon
Stone Warrior

That's it, I'm making my own damn movie.

Click me for group discussion!
Leogeddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:37 PM   #158
Donnie
Something from the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
I think you're mistaking Andrew a bit. A huge part of the comic is it's tone and the 4Kids toon never came close to it even on it's "darkest" episode. All the comic adaptation episodes turned out to be pretty watered down versions of a story that was otherwise a lot grittier and more flushed out. I mean obviously it's a kids series and there can't be decapitations and impalings but it more pulled small story elements. CAW for example couldn't have been a more watered down version of the actual story and honestly there's no reason they couldn't have done it proper. The turtles never really got through the same character growth they did in the comic in large part due to them removing a lot of the major challenges they faced.
Well I'd agree that the overall tone was not the same, but I did think 4Kids got considerably dark, especially for a cartoon.

About CAW in specific, totally agree that it was a watered down shadow of its comic self. The whole arc of Shredder Strikes Back Part One, Shredder Strikes Back Part Two, Tales of Leo, Monster Hunter was executed pretty maturely for a cartoon in my opinion, and definitely oozed (pun intended) the Mirage vibe. CAW, on the other hand, was poorly executed...it could have been done better...that's for sure.
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:09 PM   #159
CyberCubed
Overlord

The problem with City at War is they couldn't adapt the whole Casey impregnates Gabriel story, or Rat King with Splinter since he wasn't introduced yet.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:14 PM   #160
Roseangelo
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The problem with City at War is they couldn't adapt the whole Casey impregnates Gabriel story, or Rat King with Splinter since he wasn't introduced yet.
Gabriel was already pregnant when she met Casey. :p
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aliens, cancelled media, live action films