The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 05-18-2020, 11:59 PM   #401
TommyT
Banned

I think what we’re all missing is, Sumac is totally fine with lady’s playing kissy face, but men in dresses burns his but.

He’s not getting the part where a heterosexual woman has been replaced with a homosexual one, just because the author is working through her personal issues.

Sumac isn’t upset to see canon changed because chicks getting together is hawt.
TommyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 10:40 AM   #402
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyT View Post
You’re suddenly supporting the left? Fascinating.
I support whatever I see fit. Don't throw a fit about it, OK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I haven't watched the show and have only seen clips, but the show's creator did an interview like, last week, where she literally and explicitly said that the Adora/Catra kiss was "the moment the entire show was building to since the beginning". The series was created to be a story about "two women who love each other so much that their love literally saves the universe." And without that ending they wouldn't have bothered doing the show at all.

So, y'know, just saying. I haven't watched it either, but I'll take Word of God at face value. ((Shrug)) If the person steering the entire show says that's what it's about, I'm not inclined to argue. Not that it needed to be spoken; it seems like most people already assumed it from Day One. They didn't exactly try and be subtle about it.
I don't have problem with that either.

Quote:
I think what we’re all missing is, Sumac is totally fine with lady’s playing kissy face, but men in dresses burns his but.
Wrong.
Men in dress don't bother me. Men pretending to be women and wearing dresses for that purpose are.

Quote:
He’s not getting the part where a heterosexual woman has been replaced with a homosexual one, just because the author is working through her personal issues.
The did is done.
Of course, if you want to cry about for the rest of the century be my guest.

Quote:
Sumac isn’t upset to see canon changed because chicks getting together is hawt.
It'a new show set in the new universe.
What canon?
Are you upset Turtles are not just mutants in IDW?
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 01:56 PM   #403
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
I haven't watched the show and have only seen clips, but the show's creator did an interview like, last week, where she literally and explicitly said that the Adora/Catra kiss was "the moment the entire show was building to since the beginning". The series was created to be a story about "two women who love each other so much that their love literally saves the universe." And without that ending they wouldn't have bothered doing the show at all.

So, y'know, just saying. I haven't watched it either, but I'll take Word of God at face value. ((Shrug)) If the person steering the entire show says that's what it's about, I'm not inclined to argue. Not that it needed to be spoken; it seems like most people already assumed it from Day One. They didn't exactly try and be subtle about it.
My only thing is, if you're gonna do that, then do it, but with your own characters. These people always have such lack of faith in their own creations they always have to steal pre-established characters to do this. Like I saw the scene and I admit it was well done, but nothing about it told me it had to be about She-Ra and not some original characters. Like you didn't need She-Ra characters to make she scene work.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 02:07 PM   #404
Leo656
The Franchise

My wife and I were talking, and she wondered out loud how many, if any, of these showrunners were working on that explicitly queer Xena reboot that got nixed a couple'a years back. Like, they were gonna reboot Xena and remove all the nuance and ambiguity from it, and pretty much make the entire show about Xena and Gabrielle being unambiguously gay. Xena fans apparently weren't thrilled about that, and made their voices heard, not because they're anti-gay (since most Xena fans tend to be at least leaning in that direction), but because the subtext and "wink-wink" stuff was part of the show's charm and "Whedonizing" it for the modern day and putting it in everyone's face just wouldn't have been a very good idea to begin with.

They cancelled plans for the Xena reboot show in the wake of the outcry/lack of interest, but one could be forgiven for wondering if any of the people involved just ported their ideas over to this project instead. Since "Make a show that's all about lesbians" was the Alpha and Omega of the entire creative process, as you said it really didn't matter which characters they used. They'd just be twisting them to suit what they're trying to push, be it Xena or She-Ra or take your pick.

I agree, it would be better if they just came up with their own original story and ideas, but you don't get immediate attention and brownie points that way. Not "groundbreaking" enough.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 02:13 PM   #405
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
My wife and I were talking, and she wondered out loud how many, if any, of these showrunners were working on that explicitly queer Xena reboot that got nixed a couple'a years back. Like, they were gonna reboot Xena and remove all the nuance and ambiguity from it, and pretty much make the entire show about Xena and Gabrielle being unambiguously gay. Xena fans apparently weren't thrilled about that, and made their voices heard, not because they're anti-gay (since most Xena fans tend to be at least leaning in that direction), but because the subtext and "wink-wink" stuff was part of the show's charm and "Whedonizing" it for the modern day and putting it in everyone's face just wouldn't have been a very good idea to begin with.

They cancelled plans for the Xena reboot show in the wake of the outcry/lack of interest, but one could be forgiven for wondering if any of the people involved just ported their ideas over to this project instead. Since "Make a show that's all about lesbians" was the Alpha and Omega of the entire creative process, as you said it really didn't matter which characters they used. They'd just be twisting them to suit what they're trying to push, be it Xena or She-Ra or take your pick.

I agree, it would be better if they just came up with their own original story and ideas, but you don't get immediate attention and brownie points that way. Not "groundbreaking" enough.
That's probably not too far off, regardless of what the show's creators say.

Kinda reminds me of TMNT 3. That had to have been some random time travel story left on the cutting room floor and someone decided 'if we throw the Ninja Turtles into this, we can still make this work!'

"There's a time traveling scepter"

"Yeah and...?"

"like if you use it you trade places with someone from that time period"

"yer losing me kid"

"Um.... *looks around and sees a random ninja turtle toy on the floor or something* oh, it has the Ninja Turtles in it...?"

"great! kids still love the turtles, don't they? you got yourself a budget!"

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Old 05-19-2020, 02:35 PM   #406
Leo656
The Franchise

I think the behind-the-scenes stuff of TMNT II and III would be more fun to watch than either of the films, but that's me.

I don't even hate 'em like many do, but I just know there's a whole mini-series worth of stuff that it would have been amazing to be a fly on the wall for. "Why choose this? Why these decisions?" I love that stuff. Movies like those are a mere confection, but the whole "How did this even get to this point" is a lot more fun, sometimes. I'd pony up for a full-blown doc on either one, or both.

Old 05-24-2020, 10:59 AM   #407
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
If they seriously stated that... that's pretty lame.

Just finished this last season. All in all I liked it a lot. But... that is the part that bugs me. While I give this show props for being as bold as it has been in diversity (at least in the orientation/identity side of things) and not giving a damn what anyone thinks about it, I sort of hate the unfortunate side effect of insinuating that deep friendship, on that level where you love each other like sisters (or brothers), is itself not enough to save the universe. And that's a damn shame. Themes of super close friendship bonds seem to be getting lost these days as in some ways both official and fan works of various media seem to decide now that two characters who are that close MUST actually want to screw each other. Which is a sad message to put into society... that friendship has to remain to some extent superficial and distant, else people will assume the wrong thing.

I mean, nothing against people of that orientation who less often see characters who are like them portrayed in things, let alone as the heroes of a series. If there had been a noticeable vibe, at least vaguely but obvious enough, like that between these two characters the whole time, then fine, but to suddenly wrap it up like that when it never felt that way kinda sucks to just throw it in there.

It's hardly just them though, most of the parings or suggestions of them seem rather forced, random, or rushed at the end when they didn't build up. Poor Mirmista still didn't seem to be quite on board with getting with Sea Hawk. Would have been nice had we seen her harboring obvious feelings all this time that she just hid from him.

Annnnyway.... Love the magical alien cat-like critter, and that they made it a pal for Catra, like kind of a bridge into becoming part of the good guy group. Glad to see that it did wrap up with her being saved and gotten back finally. Kind of figured it would happen eventually.

I just wish the series was longer and gave Scorpia the opportunity to reclaim her kingdom and rightful position in the lands that the Fright Zone has taken. Had hopped that would happen and the land there was probably repaired and regrown like everywhere else.

Really though, if I'd have liked to see anyone end up with somebody it probably would have been Scorpia. She was always so desperate to love people and be loved in return. And this is the woman they leave single?? lol Her eagerness with interact with others could easily find her someone to click with. Heck, since everyone just takes her to be this butchy woman who prob likes other women (esp when she was so eager to connect with Catra...or more), they could have taken the diversity focus and thrown a big old "don't assume" wrench into it and gave her a man who, like her, is just as big and intimidating on the outside and just as soft on the inside.

I don't have any big clear fave, but Scorpia I think still remains among the top. Catra too in a way... Maybe because they're the ones to be rooted for to be saved from and overcome what they'd come from. But I pretty much like everyone a lot. Need a second spin off series someday. Need to know what become of some of them, esp those like Entrapta and the reborn Hordak and whatever future he has now, unknown if he'll be and remain a reformed villain.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 05-24-2020 at 11:15 AM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 06:05 PM   #408
ABrown
Banned

Just finished the series last night. Just a few points that I have off the top of my head:
  • I really liked She-Ra's outfit for the final season much more than the outfit for the first three seasons.
  • Catra was without question my favorite character in this show.
  • I found this series to be watchable, but not something that I would want to watch over and over again. I think I like it less as a part of the She-Ra franchise. Had it been something original, where I wasn't making comparisons to the original version of She-Ra, I think I would've liked it more.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 03:20 AM   #409
ZariusTwo
Overlord

So the staff of the show held a live-stream chat last night that apparently took a very ugly turn

https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/news/...ew-livestream/

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 08-27-2020 at 07:01 AM.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:38 AM   #410
Vegita-San
Emperor

I love it. all these fake she-ra fans eating themselves out over their former favorite show.

what is it about all these 'progressive' shows that seem to have people running them with problems?

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:46 AM   #411
Leo656
The Franchise

Every single thing I've ever read about Noelle Stevenson suggests she's a total mental case. And the more I read, the more disgusted I get. Like in her telling the Netflix people back during production of Season One that "the gay agenda" was the entire point of making this show in the first place.

Save it for your therapist.

Old 08-27-2020, 10:42 AM   #412
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:

This is really be the title of a book, or a movie, or something...

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 10:51 AM   #413
Leo656
The Franchise

Is Denis Leary still doing stand-up? "Save It For Your Therapist" could be the follow-up to the other critically-acclaimed self-help book, "Shut The F*ck Up! by Dr. Denis".

"I feel so much better now! He just told me to shut the f*ck up and nobody had ever told me that before!"

Old 08-27-2020, 12:00 PM   #414
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
I don't a dead dog's $hit about She-Ra, but I gotta recognize that line. Damn good line.
Old 08-27-2020, 12:12 PM   #415
Leo656
The Franchise

That's how me and my buddies would "trash talk" while playing video games back in the day. It was my best friend's go-to line. I keep it with me always.

It generally fits anywhere, anytime. Sadly.

Old 04-13-2021, 11:24 AM   #416
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Nominations For Best Dramatic Presentation, Short Form

Doctor Who: “Fugitive of the Judoon”
The Expanse: “Gaugamela”
The Good Place: “Whenever You’re Ready”
The Mandalorian: “The Jedi”
The Mandalorian: “The Rescue”
She-Ra and the Princesses of Power: “Heart” (parts 1 and 2)

https://locusmag.com/2021/04/2021-hu...rds-finalists/
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 02:12 PM   #417
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Every single thing I've ever read about Noelle Stevenson suggests she's a total mental case. And the more I read, the more disgusted I get. Like in her telling the Netflix people back during production of Season One that "the gay agenda" was the entire point of making this show in the first place.

I almost thought you somehow got onto their podcast and called her out. LMAO

I saw the title and was like 'he did it, the sunuvabitch actually did it'.

Old 10-06-2021, 06:43 AM   #418
neatoman
Emperor

The creator came out as trans...

... Is it bad that I not only find it unsurprising but that I actually expected it to happen?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 06:56 AM   #419
Vegita-San
Emperor

So, she is going to become a he? the male race don't want you, honey. stay in your own lane ;o)..

actually, the most obvious announcement was that she was really a lesbian considering the shows agenda.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 11:17 AM   #420
Sumac
Banned

Guess, being a Lesbian is no longer gives you enough clout, eh?

But now this whole she-bang (see what I did here?) is painfully ironic: a self-proclaimed "man" makes a show about how strong women and Lesbians are awesome, while escaping femininity!

You can't imagine this ****, if you tried.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
i like agendas, she-nah, where's loo-kee?