The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2019, 01:26 PM   #41
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 19,401
Yeah, it's more than a little bit telling that She-Ra leads things out of the gate for a He-Man revival... and then when He-Man gets his own show later on, it's starring a female side character.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:07 PM   #42
sdp
WeaR VeaR VR
 
sdp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Rave VR
Posts: 8,090
As I stated in the She Ra thread, I've always been curious about He-Man but it was before my time and it just didn't seem like it has ever clicked. I'm impressed by the lore it was able to built with such a silly concept. I only ever watched a few episodes of She-Ra growing up and never He-Man. Like ten years ago I rented a "Best 10 episodes of He-Man" DVD and all 10 episodes reeked of awful 80s writing so I stayed away.

I do hope She-Ra is in the show and that He-Man is in the She-Ra show, it'll be cool to see both interpretations be on at the same time. I could tell Netflix was thinking of investing in He-Man for a while now, they kept recommending that documentary for a long time like a year and a half ago.
__________________

PM me for an invite to the TechnoDrome Discord
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 01:46 AM   #43
ZariusTwo
Overlord
 
ZariusTwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Britain, DINO THUNDER...POWER UP!
Posts: 16,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Like ten years ago I rented a "Best 10 episodes of He-Man" DVD and all 10 episodes reeked of awful 80s writing so I stayed away.
Define "awful 80s writing" for the audience at home please. People use these buzzwords like it actually means anything, in truth I could say Princesses of Power has the same kind of writing. If people thought the writing was "awful" there would never have been a "best of" list compiled. The fact is that the true fans of He-Man can LOOK PAST the shortcomings to see some pretty good stuff in there.

Are people even still doing this? Bashing 80s cartoons was a popular thing in...like, 2002 or something. It's the primary reason I hated Toon Zone back in the day, all they would do was trash 80s cartoons when they came out on DVD. I love how irrelevant that site is now. At the end of the day, those cartoons still provide the backbone of modern nerd culture so they obviously did SOMETHING right. There's been remakes and reboots that have been far worse than anything the 80s threw at us, yet people are always far harsher on them than the dross they watch now.

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 08-23-2019 at 08:28 AM.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:47 AM   #44
ABrown
Mad Scientist
 
ABrown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
As I stated in the She Ra thread, I've always been curious about He-Man but it was before my time and it just didn't seem like it has ever clicked. I'm impressed by the lore it was able to built with such a silly concept. I only ever watched a few episodes of She-Ra growing up and never He-Man. Like ten years ago I rented a "Best 10 episodes of He-Man" DVD and all 10 episodes reeked of awful 80s writing so I stayed away.
When it comes to the original He-Man cartoon, this is what I tell people. If you didn't watch the cartoon as a child, I'd say you probably won't enjoy it as an adult. I love the character, but the original cartoon was a very poorly produced cartoon. Now that doesn't necessarily mean that I would tell those same people not to give this forthcoming series a shot. But you say that you gave the Top 10 set a shot and didn't like it? Then yeah, like I said, I'd say nevermind this series.

What you might want to give a try though is the Mike Young Productions 2002 He-Man series. That was an outstanding cartoon that was cut off too soon. It should've gotten at least another 26 episodes to finish telling its story. The series is kind of like to He-Man what the 4Kids series was to TMNT. Unfortunately the MYP 2002 He-Man didn't get anywhere close to as long of a run as the 4Kids TMNT series did.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:52 AM   #45
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 19,401
To be fair, I never super got into He-Man. I remember casually watching a few and mostly digging it. My generation, as kids, I kind of became aware of it when there became a kind of a stigma about it. And then it sort of went away anyway.

Like, "Eww... you like He-Man? That's gay!" on the playground.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 12:29 PM   #46
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 9,207
1980's nostalgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Bashing 80s cartoons was a popular thing in...like, 2002 or something.
Really? That was the time when 1980's nostalgia began to kick in.
__________________
Because of continuity and timeline errors, I've given up writing fanfiction based on the 1987-1996 animated television series. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles story, something many other fanfiction writers already do:

Hopefully, stories will later appear at

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 12:48 PM   #47
ZariusTwo
Overlord
 
ZariusTwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Britain, DINO THUNDER...POWER UP!
Posts: 16,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Really? That was the time when 1980's nostalgia began to kick in.
Yeah, and there was a resistance to it back then for some reason.

While we definitely had more sophisticated shows in the 90s and 2000s, 80s cartoons got thrown under the bus too many times for their commercialism, almost as if the audience was resentful for being 'brainwashed' by them (yeah, they told you to buy toys you could have fun playing with, use your imagination, live by a decent morality code...what's to hate you ask? Apparently everything)
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 01:52 PM   #48
TommyT
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Canada
Posts: 860
What a surprise, the people hating are the same people who claim to not “get” He-man. I wasn’t a big fan of a number of things, and watching that content now, it will seem odd. It’s not bad writing, it’s of its time. He-man has child-like logic, it flows like a daydream, or a trippy hallucination. It starts, things happen, you’re told to be nice to your neighbor, the end. Looking or expecting deeper meaning here is pointless.
I’m sick of world building. Stop insisting everything has this vast universe of importance. People wonder why the 2002 He-man died so quickly, it’s because they removed the fantasy part. It wasn’t fun weird adventures, it became one more Joseph Campbell clone, in neon oatmeal.

He-man isn’t about action, it’s about escaping and exploration. If they don’t get the tone right, it’s going to flop.
TommyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 10:11 PM   #49
sdp
WeaR VeaR VR
 
sdp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Rave VR
Posts: 8,090
I guess by awful 80s writing I mean the characters are for the most part bland and one note, the status quo rarely changes if it even dares to change, the bad guy always loses at the end and suffers from villain decay early on, the good guys are all always good etc. I still grew up with plenty of 80s cartoon reruns as a kid in the 90s and I could see even then the inferior quality of them. that's not to say all of them did it. Thundercats while also suffering from these things still managed to do so much more despite it. I do agree about ToonZone being trash, it was good forum for like 3-4 years.

I'm not trying to knock on He-Man, I'm impressed by the fandom and that despite the 80s writing it still managed to sneak in lore for fans to love and develop. The 10 episode best of dvd just didn't do it for me so I never checked out more episodes, I didn't say she-ra was better, just that I watched it, I'm sure it was the same quality.

Still I think making He-Man cool again is a tough, tougher than say Power Rangers which also has a hard time despite nostalgia of power rangers being a thing / cool now. And I don't think a show that only appeals to certain fandom no matter how loyal can succeed. Still I wish it the best and I'm sure at one point in my life I will dwell into He-Man just to check it out.
__________________

PM me for an invite to the TechnoDrome Discord
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 10:30 PM   #50
Leo656
The Franchise
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 19,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Thundercats while also suffering from these things still managed to do so much more despite it.
The only thing Thundercats truly succeeds at is having a main character that looks like an impossible bad-ass, but is in fact the single most limp-dicked, useless putz in the entire pantheon of 1980s cartoon shows.

For real. Lion-O couldn't open a goddamn pudding cup without begging for help. Really jumps out upon re-watching. And it's not like he got any less useless as the show went on, either.

Meh.
__________________

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 02:10 AM   #51
TommyT
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Canada
Posts: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I guess by awful 80s writing I mean the characters are for the most part bland and one note, the status quo rarely changes if it even dares to change, the bad guy always loses at the end and suffers from villain decay early on, the good guys are all always good etc. I still grew up with plenty of 80s cartoon reruns as a kid in the 90s and I could see even then the inferior quality of them. that's not to say all of them did it. Thundercats while also suffering from these things still managed to do so much more despite it. I do agree about ToonZone being trash, it was good forum for like 3-4 years.

I'm not trying to knock on He-Man, I'm impressed by the fandom and that despite the 80s writing it still managed to sneak in lore for fans to love and develop. The 10 episode best of dvd just didn't do it for me so I never checked out more episodes, I didn't say she-ra was better, just that I watched it, I'm sure it was the same quality.

Still I think making He-Man cool again is a tough, tougher than say Power Rangers which also has a hard time despite nostalgia of power rangers being a thing / cool now. And I don't think a show that only appeals to certain fandom no matter how loyal can succeed. Still I wish it the best and I'm sure at one point in my life I will dwell into He-Man just to check it out.
I agree with you, coming at He-man cold, beyond the impressionable age of 5, it’s going to look stupid. I do think you’re underestimating the power of He-man, and indoctrination.
TommyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 03:08 AM   #52
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 9,207
Masters of the Universe is much a product of Star Wars, that debuted in May 1977. Post-Star Wars, we also got fiction like.

Alien and Metroid

Asteroids and Space Invaders

Blackstar (and later, Masters of the Universe)

James Bond Moonraker

Some of the science fiction stuff in TMNT (even if TMNT also has borrowed a lot from Star Trek)

The list can be much longer. But it only shows how influencing and inspirational Star Wars was, spawning hundreds of trillions of cartoons, comics, films, books and video games. Some of them hard science fiction, other science fiction, and some more science fantasy.
__________________
Because of continuity and timeline errors, I've given up writing fanfiction based on the 1987-1996 animated television series. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles story, something many other fanfiction writers already do:

Hopefully, stories will later appear at

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 01:18 PM   #53
cammy85
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Minnedosa, MB Canada
Posts: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
To be fair, I never super got into He-Man. I remember casually watching a few and mostly digging it. My generation, as kids, I kind of became aware of it when there became a kind of a stigma about it. And then it sort of went away anyway.

Like, "Eww... you like He-Man? That's gay!" on the playground.
https://youtu.be/Kv_-KOdM6Wk
cammy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 02:46 AM   #54
ZariusTwo
Overlord
 
ZariusTwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Britain, DINO THUNDER...POWER UP!
Posts: 16,851
Some bad new for the community, the fan-produced episode "Return of Faker" has been given a cease and desist by NBCUniversal and cannot be screened or released

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1Wv8S9Awuj/
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 07:54 AM   #55
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School
 
Voltron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: The Realm of SJW
Posts: 4,632
Wait, is the Teela thing true? Why not just name the show Teela, then?

Also, trying to put a more feminine emphasis on a show called He-Man is pretty stupid.
__________________
I AM FOR ACTUAL! . . . and the White Savior. . . and the Right Hand of God. . .
Voltron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:33 AM   #56
AT-Man
I SEEN IT
 
AT-Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: FIN
Posts: 2,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltron View Post
Wait, is the Teela thing true? Why not just name the show Teela, then?

Also, trying to put a more feminine emphasis on a show called He-Man is pretty stupid.
If it's called Masters of the Universe: Revelation, then it could technically be about any of them.
__________________

Through the Golden Door
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 06:35 PM   #57
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School
 
Voltron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: The Realm of SJW
Posts: 4,632
That's a good point. Though it's a bit disappointing.
__________________
I AM FOR ACTUAL! . . . and the White Savior. . . and the Right Hand of God. . .
Voltron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 07:21 PM   #58
TommyT
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Canada
Posts: 860
If they continue the series, and it LOOKS like Filmation He-man, and has the vibe, like what James Eaton was doing with his Faker episode, it will be awesome.

If it looks like current animated shows, with simple designs and a weird CG hybrid look (Godzilla on Netflix) it will suck.

If it has any Kevin Smith isms in it, it will SUPER suck. The important thing is to make sure they go full out. If it’s Filmation He-man, then do that. If not, don’t pay lip service. Nithing worse than half measures.
TommyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 01:56 AM   #59
newfan
Mad Scientist
 
newfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: UK
Posts: 2,005
I don't remember the last episode of the old show, I did watch a couple of eps when I noticed it on Neftix but they have taken it off since.

As for He-Man being the centric/main character, I'd hope he is, it is a continuation of the old show after all. Might just have some extra character arc focus?

I also didn't realise this was going to be Anime, or so I have seen on social media.?
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 02:20 AM   #60
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 19,401
Kind of sounds like TPTB decided on a "the future is female" route (which is not something new, and they were not unclear about their stance by leading with She-Ra which was not as popular in its time), went before the committee, the committee said "you know what would be totally contrary to mask our agenda? We hire Kevin Smith to do this!" And now Kevin Smith has to figure out some fu**ing way to make this not seem like what it obviously is.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 08-26-2019 at 10:00 AM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cuck-man, masters of the sjw

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.