The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 07-25-2020, 10:48 AM   #1
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

TMNT: True Forces 1990 Movie Sequel Novel

How many of us were on turtle forums/fan sites or web rings in the mid to late 1990's?

Apparently, among TMNT fandom, there is a fan-work that garnered a lot of attention back in the day called True Forces. It is/was a serialized novel by a Canadian fan named Sue Sitler. She has given me full permission to share the link here. She was so impressed with the 1990 movie, she wrote a novelized sequel, that, at least to me, is miles ahead of SOTO and has a lot more in common with 1990 TMNT as far as tone and overall, plot. Casey Jones returns as does Shredder, in a far more believable and realistic piece.
THIS is what the sequel should have been. Written between late 1990 and 1992. It's had quite a life online though. Any of you know it?

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1311961...-a-TMNT-fanfic

* Yes, this could have been posted in the fan works thread, but since it is apparently decades old, and supposedly quite infamous, I'm sharing here.

Last edited by PizzaPower1985; 07-25-2020 at 10:56 AM.
PizzaPower1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 12:07 PM   #2
King Kahn
Stone Warrior

Super interesting. Thanks for sharing.
King Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 01:01 PM   #3
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
Super interesting. Thanks for sharing.

The same author co-wrote a Mirage TMNT/Renet time-travel story too...

It's not as famous as True Forces but she has a really good voice for Mirage TMNT.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1311372...-a-TMNT-fanfic
Old 07-26-2020, 02:48 PM   #4
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I've never heard of it!

Do you mind giving me some broad strokes, to help me determine whether or not it's worth a read?
Old 07-26-2020, 08:22 PM   #5
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I've never heard of it!

Do you mind giving me some broad strokes, to help me determine whether or not it's worth a read?
Truth be told, CKD, the writing is very early 90's, i.e. wordy and descriptive... If that's your bag, baby, okay...

Broad strokes? Hmmm. Okay, let's see.

- The novel/movie opens with Shredder/Saki in hospital recovering from the crushing defeat, heh heh... He escapes and makes his way back to Tatsu who has taken over the Clan. He wants revenge on TMNT and plots an April kidnapping.

- There's a lot of street scenes/subway scenes with April. She gets involved in a side plot with Chief Sterns, whose name is Ross BTW (I never knew that). She helps the boys find a new place to live by researching city sewer systems.

- Casey and April dated for a while but are broken up. He works as a handyman and fixes up houses, cars, he's an odd job guy. There's a lot of Donnie/Casey interaction. He wants her back but she's only mildly interested.

- There's a lot of sewer scenes.

- Splinter nearly dies (this time it's not by a fridge).

- A huge confrontation between Saki and Mikey where Mikey nearly dies. That leads to a huge battle scene between TMNT/Casey vs The Foot Clan.

- There's a nurse/medical worker named Megan McClaine who serves as an ally to the TMNT by giving April info on Saki. She gets abducted.

- There's very little humor. It's tonally nearly exactly like the first film. The TMNT actually use their weapons in fights. Everything is written to be uber-realistic and real-life. In one scene Tatsu drives a car. It's a lot more low-key than SOTO.

- There's a lot more of New York as a character than their was in SOTO.

- Jones is a complete bada$$ in a few scenes with some random hoods. Nearly kills one in an alley.

- Sue, the writer, had no knowledge of the cartoon or comics when this was written in 1990. Everything here is based off of the first film and or made up to fill in any gaps of knowledge BUT she did some research into the first issue comic (Vol 1 #1) via a library as it was hard to come by even by 1990.

I dunno. I'm dancing around here. The very old TMNT fans who were part of fan circles 25 years ago are likely familiar with it.