The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 02-27-2017, 12:23 PM   #1161
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

I thought Suicide Squad was terrible but I'm happy that a comic book movie got an Oscar.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:42 PM   #1162
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

The makeup was pretty good.
ProactiveMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 05:45 PM   #1163
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/le...el-1202009652/

WB in talks with Legend of Tarzan Writer for Sequel
Old 04-20-2020, 11:40 AM   #1164
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Ayer apologizes for sexualizing Harley Quinn.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...102611305.html
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 11:48 AM   #1165
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post

"Sadly her story arc was eviscerated. It was her movie in so many ways. Look I tried. I rendered Harley comic book accurate. Everything is political now. Everything. I just want to entertain. I will do better.”

He went for the scattershot apology on that one.

Ironic, since it seems Harley Quinn was the one thing most people liked about that movie.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 02:21 PM   #1166
Sumac
Banned

Quote:

Spineless fool.
And what had happened with "sexiness empowers women"? Or it empowers only women who are ready to open their legs for random men?

Besides, as Oldmanwinters said, HQ was the only highlight of this movie and it was Suicide Squad which prompted her into even bigger popularity than before, so I am not sure what this fool is apologizing to.
For making the only good character in his trash movie?
For making her iconic for many girls around the world (even for wrong reasons, but still)?
For making her profitable for DC?

I just can't understand it. Is he trying to appeal for SJWs so late into the game or his girlfriend or wife got a meltdown on Twitter?
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 02:30 PM   #1167
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

It's really baffling. #1, he obviously isn't actually sorry about anything (and why should he be?), #2, who is even asking him to apologize? #3, is this a good precedent to set?
Old 04-20-2020, 03:01 PM   #1168
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Am I the only one who wanted to see a full on sequel with two more known villainous characters with the others? Bronze Tiger and Killer Frost for example. This new lineup sucks and may keep me from seeing it!
Old 04-20-2020, 04:07 PM   #1169
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Am I the only one who wanted to see a full on sequel with two more known villainous characters with the others?
That's pretty much exactly what we're getting.
Old 04-20-2020, 05:12 PM   #1170
sdp
-

Sexualizing harley quinn is what got her popular with the mainstream in the first place ironically enough.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 12:39 AM   #1171
Shark_Blade
Emperor

So I guess it’s sort of a good thing WB did meddle with SS in the first place?
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 01:40 AM   #1172
Leo656
The Franchise

I liked things a lot better when it was just implicitly understood that most people like looking at good-looking people, and it wasn't something anyone was shamed for. Not the good-looking people for capitalizing on the fact that they are indeed good-looking, nor the people who show their "appreciation" towards the good-looking people in some way, shape or form.

It's like how movies up through the 80s were full of "pointless sexualization" and random titties because hey... people like that stuff.

Then the "I only want people *I* think are attractive to tell me I'm attractive, everyone else is offending me" types took over and everything went to sh*t. Now if you so much as say, "I like a nice pair of tits to look at," they grab the pitchforks. Whattya want me to do, lie? Lying is immoral. Lying is more immoral than vocally appreciating tits, I'll tell ya that for nothing.

Lest we also forget that Harley Quinn character aside, this "debate" about her being overly-sexualized in Suicide Squad ultimately revolves around one Margot Robbie, an actress who... well... let's just say she owes a LOT of her career to "Wolf of Wall St." I'm sure that she has a HUGE problem being portrayed as a sex object, you guys. She signed up for a movie where she's all coked-up and full-frontal naked in multiple scenes because she really hates being seen as a sex object, you guys!

Like seriously, if Robbie herself ever spoke on the subject, and started waxing philosophical about being overly-sexualized in movies, I'd just yell "Nice beaver, ya hypocrite!" and walk away. Because she's mostly rich and famous NOW on account of how awesome she looked naked about ten years ago, and anyone who says otherwise is lying. Just to put it all into its proper perspective.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 03:39 AM   #1173
Sumac
Banned

Precisely.
No-one forced her to be dressed in booty shorts and she always could voice her opinion on the matter. But, of course, it should be male's fault and, of course, he should apologize for the female's decisions.

Sounds like infantilizing women to me, which is quite often in lefty circles.

"Women are innocent angels seduced and corrupted by evil WhiTe MeN, this is why, we, good white rich men, will tell them how to dress and how to act to escape being harassed or objectified. And if women disagree with us it is, because, of IntErnAlIZed MisOgYNy (i.e. they are traitors of their own sex for having their own opinion and thinking for themselves).

But they are free to empower themselves by sex work (spreading their legs for us for money and showing their tits on Twitch, because we are losers with inferiority complexes who couldn't build normal relationship with women without money)."
---signed "Good White Men".

Last edited by Sumac; 04-23-2020 at 03:47 AM.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 03:44 AM   #1174
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Didn't DC start sexualizing her before Suicide Squad? She had some noticeable design choices in the New 52 era and in Arkham City.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 03:46 AM   #1175
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
Didn't DC start sexualizing her before Suicide Squad? She had some noticeable design choices in the New 52 era and in Arkham City.
Nobody is talking about comics. Though her genesis in the comics speaks more to her take in Suicide Squad than anything else. In terms of: "Well, why wouldn't it be that way?"

It would be like if I made a Turtles movies tomorrow where they are killing human Foot Soldiers left and right, chopping off arms and legs and someone said, "You are irresponsible for that! Why do that?! What about the children?" Ergh... the comics.
Old 04-23-2020, 04:11 AM   #1176
Leo656
The Franchise

And now Harley Quinn is supposed to be a role model, both on screen and in print.

I don't even know where to get started unpacking, just, everything wrong about the Joker's coked-up f*ck-bunny becoming a role model because they wanna sell more f*cking T-shirts. There's some "Inception"-level grade disingenuous bullsh*t happening there.

Like, okay, so allllll the bad sh*t she ever did up until semi-recently, like... so, what was that? Are they seriously implying that she's been a brain-dead, brainwashed, love-sick Stockholm zombie this entire time, with NO autonomy or moral compass of her own whatsoever? And if so, then what, it was just a matter of "Someone had her switch set to 'Evil'," and now it's not? Like now she possesses the "super-power" of occasionally not being a scumbag and/or making good decisions? And also, as a bonus, she's absolved of all the bad stuff in her past, because "she was as helpless and innocent as a newborn babe the whole time, merely a manipulated victim of circumstance"? Because yeah, that's awesome, that's actually the way real human beings behave. That's how stuff works. You get to do a bunch of awful sh*t and then do a 180 because "Nah, man, my ex-boyfriend had my head all twisted," and then all's forgiven.

Let's be honest... "Harley Quinn" is a neat gag and a fun visual and a pretty good plot element... but she's frankly a sh*t "character". Literally everything about her character whether she's a good guy OR a bad guy is the opposite of what girls and women should aspire to be, and none of the "less-bad" they've grafted onto her in order to keep Hot Topic in business overrides or justifies any of the bad. Most of her origins imply that she wasn't a good person even before she met the Joker (getting her psych degree by sleeping with all her professors, for one thing; I know it's been retconned out but for MANY years, that was The Story, officially). And she's impossible to "redeem" while keeping her entire history with Joker intact; you'd have to throw ALL of that out, and then she's an entirely different character, which is kind of what they're seemingly trying to do in recent years, but again... she's too entrenched in that role, so you can't do that.

It's like, I'm glad she exists, but trying to re-frame Harley Quinn of all characters in a positive light is... well, it's problematic. She was never meant to be anything more than pun fodder and eye candy, or at least, that's all she was created to be. At best, she's cheesecake, and at worst, she's sometimes been almost as "bad" as Joker, or at least willingly complicit in his actions 99% of the time. "Nah, we got posters to sell, now she's a Hero and Symbol Of Modern Feminism." That's the absolute worst reason to try and face-turn ANY character, but especially one so transparently one-dimensional by design.

Like, you can try and turn the winds to your favor and promote any female character in the DC roster as a Role Model For Women And Girls. They already HAVE Wonder Woman and Supergirl! You could easily promote Batgirl, or even Oracle, if you wanted... nah, let's just take one of the WORST candidates for that spot and give her the ball.

If I had a daughter, and that daughter said she aspired to be Harley goddamn Quinn, I'd know for a fact I'd made numerous and sizable mistakes. As Cornette would say, "She's everything wrong with the business."

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 12:40 AM   #1177
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

So Legends Of Tomorrow did a more comic accurate Enchantress in the latest episode. no stupid belly dancing like your having a seizure.
Old 01-05-2024, 12:02 AM   #1178
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Ayer has called it quits on getting his original cut released, Warner do not have any interest.

https://comicbook.com/dc/news/suicid...directors-cut/
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 12:12 AM   #1179
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Ayer has called it quits on getting his original cut released, Warner do not have any interest.

https://comicbook.com/dc/news/suicid...directors-cut/
I read this today. Seems a little bit silly though. He's "calling it quits" on the Ayer cut seeing the light of day? As of yesterday, or a month ago, or a year ago, it was still a thing that was a doubtful "maybe," or at best a "it's a no today, but possibly in the future." What is he quitting, exactly? What has changed?
Old 01-06-2024, 12:00 AM   #1180
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
I read this today. Seems a little bit silly though. He's "calling it quits" on the Ayer cut seeing the light of day? As of yesterday, or a month ago, or a year ago, it was still a thing that was a doubtful "maybe," or at best a "it's a no today, but possibly in the future." What is he quitting, exactly? What has changed?
Yeah, I thought Gunn had been hinting to him the cut was going to be released in some form, now that it's not happening, the Snyder fans are going with the narrative Gunn got caught in another lie
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
critics are right, critics are wrong, cybercubedthecritic, cybercubedthesadist, dc comics, echo cubed, fantastic casting, leto=joker, romero>leto, thread for 12 year olds