The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2017, 06:08 PM   #21
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 10,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
How do you feel about the GameCube, the GBA and the DS consoles?
I enjoyed a Gamecube for a little while. It seems like not very long before the Wii came out. Luckily, that was backwards compatible with it. Got decent mileage out of the Wii.

Only ever played GBA and DS on emulator. Seemed fine.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 06:23 PM   #22
Prowler
Foot Elite
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 4,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I enjoyed a Gamecube for a little while. It seems like not very long before the Wii came out. Luckily, that was backwards compatible with it. Got decent mileage out of the Wii.

Only ever played GBA and DS on emulator. Seemed fine.
The GameCube came out in 2001 and the Wii in... 2006? 2007? That's 5-6 years in-between them. I mean, the N64 came out in 1996 and the SNES in 1991-1992(Western world). "Only" six years or so separate both the Wii and the Wii U as well.

By the time my family got the Wii I was more on a retrogaming phase and around 2009-2011 I felt I was outgrowing games. So yeah, I mostly use(d) it to play GC titles and Virtual Console games.I oughta play Mario Galaxies and the Metroid Prime trilogy someday.

Never owned a DS or a Wii U. I've only played a bit of DS and I might buy some DS games to play on my 3DS someday. As for the WIi U... well of its exclusives which don't have 3DS ports nowadays? Pokken and Star Fox Zero? Even Hyrule Warriors, Mario Maker and Yoshi's Wooly World have 3DS versions now.

The GameCube kicked ass. It was a pity that it didn't get lots of great 3rd party titles, but it still had a solid library. Better than Nintendo 64's overall. I've pretty much played every must have N64 title except maybe a couple(Conker's and Perfect Dark), but I haven't played some classic GC games such as Luigi's Mansion, Etenral Darkness, Viewtiful Joe and RE4. Now, the N64 certainly gives me more nostalgia overall, but I'd take the GC any day over it if I had to choose between taking either to a deserted island.

Btw, for some reason, I've never really seen you much as someone who plays lots of games. I honestly expected you to say that you never played or owned the GameCube or played GBA or DS even on emulators. Btw, GBA emulation is kinda crappy since you're looking at a small window on a big screen.

So, how do you feel about the Nintendo 64?
__________________
Last.FM | Myanimelist | Letterboxd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines
He's black as fu*k. And voiced by Bumper Robinson.

I guess he doesn't qualify as African American to cubed because he doesn't say things like "yessa massa", "sup dawg", "yo", "kill whitey" and "shee-it negro!"
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:30 PM   #23
ABrown
Mad Scientist
 
ABrown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 1,189
Too hard for me to choose between the original NES and the Super NES. I like my video games simple. I mean as systems progress, I can't deny that the games certainly look cool. But I don't have anywhere near as much fun as I have with the first two systems.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:58 PM   #24
Storm Eagle
Saved by
 
Storm Eagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 2,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrown View Post
Too hard for me to choose between the original NES and the Super NES. I like my video games simple. I mean as systems progress, I can't deny that the games certainly look cool. But I don't have anywhere near as much fun as I have with the first two systems.
That reminds me about this conversation I wad having with my cousin back in 2009. He asked if I remember when we thought those games were the coolest ever, and I told him they still are. He was surprised that people still have a soft spot for those games and their simple designs. He said he doesn't think he can enjoy those games after being spoiled by the more modern-looking gamess.

As for my favorites, it might be both the NES and the SNES, since those were the Nintendo consoles from when I was young. That being said, a part of me would like to include the N64 as well, since it was the one that was active all throughout my college years.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 09:10 PM   #25
Prowler
Foot Elite
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 4,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
That reminds me about this conversation I wad having with my cousin back in 2009. He asked if I remember when we thought those games were the coolest ever, and I told him they still are. He was surprised that people still have a soft spot for those games and their simple designs. He said he doesn't think he can enjoy those games after being spoiled by the more modern-looking gamess.

As for my favorites, it might be both the NES and the SNES, since those were the Nintendo consoles from when I was young. That being said, a part of me would like to include the N64 as well, since it was the one that was active all throughout my college years.
For me it depends. I'll never get tired of playing older 2D Mario games or the NES Mega Man games, even enjoying those I didn't get a chance to try out for the first time ever until 2008 or so. I also didn't get the chance to play Donkey Kong Country until 2011 or so and loved it. But couldn't get myself to enjoy the NES CastleVania games. They've aged poorly control wise, imo. Super CastleVania IV, however, plays just fine.

It depends, really. I love several classics I grew up with, but modern games are fun too. The thing is, I've been playing Nintendo games since I was a kid, so it's hard for a Mario or a Zelda game to kick my ass nowadays... well those later levels in Super Mario 3D Land kinda do, as do some of those Super Mario Challenge and recommended user levels on Mario Maker, but you know the drill

Anyway, the point is, older games had more of that mystique to them. Has to ask someone else or read a magazine for hints in case you got stuck. With modern games, you can't figure out how to beat a boss or pass a level? Well just go on youtube. Also, micro-transactions are such a ripoff. But on the other hand, you can easily save the game in modern games and there's no "one hit deaths" and having to go all the way back after dying as much as there was back in the day. For most games there's no longer the sense of the game actually being over anymore. With change, some good things are lost but other good things are gained.

As much as I loved the Nintendo 64, I sadly cannot agree with you on this one. Sure Banjo and Mario 64 are still fun but I can't help but feel I'd rather be playing something else instead when I happen to play them, especially Banjo. Makes me sad and wondering "will we ever see a modern day version of this game?. 3D games from the N64/Saturn/PS1 generation are the ones I go back to the least, by far.
__________________
Last.FM | Myanimelist | Letterboxd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines
He's black as fu*k. And voiced by Bumper Robinson.

I guess he doesn't qualify as African American to cubed because he doesn't say things like "yessa massa", "sup dawg", "yo", "kill whitey" and "shee-it negro!"
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 05:20 AM   #26
Shark_Blade
Scarlet Flame
 
Shark_Blade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,856
I gotta say WiiU as the graphic is superior compared to Wii. As for the handheld, I like the 3DS more than the DS for the same reason.

I haven't got the Switch yet, but I like what I've seen so far.
__________________

Sonic Forces - PS4, Nintendo Switch, Xbone, PC
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:45 PM   #27
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold
 
TheCanadiandrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Inside the Technodrome; Shredderville; Saskatchewan
Posts: 18,509
N64 number 1, SNES number 2, GBA SP number 3 and NES number 4
__________________


Add me: PSN/XBL;3DS FC: 5069-4236-7320; Nintendo Network ID: BDS-3.1.6

TMNT Fan Club: http://sot.ag/4jZR0

Visit My Wish List:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=30904

My Collection:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40276
TheCanadiandrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.