The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 06-17-2018, 10:51 PM   #21
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejablue View Post
I absolutely adore the 2012 cartoon because the teenage protagonists are actually acting like teenagers, among other things. I think it's a real gem in its own right. For one it's intro is catchy and unskippable.
I should mention 2012, too. I dig the first two or three seasons for what it was to me, personally, which was something generally pretty funny with a decent amount of heart that my daughter and I got to enjoy together for a while.

But it's not "TMNT" to me, by any means.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 12:37 AM   #22
Wildcat
Foot Elite

I’d have to go with the 4kids series. Minus Fast Forward (it was ok but really changed the tone, should have been a separate series)

It was serious enough to take seriously. It didn’t go overboard with the “goofy” or fantasy elements. Not to me anyway. The art style fit well too.

I don’t read any of the comics and none of the movies have been absolutely great imo.

TMNT 07 is probably my favorite because it’s like a big 4kids episode but as a stand-alone movie seems a bit out of place if you’re not already invested in the franchise.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:46 AM   #23
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan
Is there a version you are completely or mostly happy with?
No. I don't like any version in particular.

In fact, I'm really not all that invested in the TMNT franchise/lore. The only part I'm actually comfortable with is the first season of the 2k12 series. (And even then, I'm ambivalent on that.)

Don't get me wrong. I don't dislike the franchise. It's just - I'm not all that interested in*most of it.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 12:47 AM   #24
ZacksSoUgly
Foot Soldier

My "perfect" version of TMNT media is a toss up between the 1990 film and the current IDW comics. I was too young for the original comics and haven't spent a lot of time going back to them. The original show and toys got me into the characters, but the 1990 film cemented their place in my heart. The story, the Turtles' look, their personalities and relationships - the 1990 film is where the bar is set when I'm "judging" new TMNT material. The IDW comics have introduced cool ideas while getting the Turtles "right" in terms of personality and development. Also, Mateus Santolouco's version aesthetically is one of my favorites of all time. I would love to see a show, movie, or toys based on the IDW version.

A close runner up for me personally is the 2007 movie. I didn't need another reason for Leo and Raph to have beef, but besides that I really like the Turtles as individuals and as brothers in that iteration.
Kevin Eastman Interview

TMNT Collecting Social Media
Instagram : @ZOSOtmnt
ZacksSoUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 12:49 AM   #25
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Dejablue

I absolutely adore the 2012 cartoon because the teenage protagonists are actually acting like teenagers, among other things. I think it's a real gem in its own right. For one it's intro is catchy and unskippable.

A couple of friends have talked me into reading IDW so I will begin reading them as soon as I'm able, I can tell from here that IDW must be pretty close to lore cohesion and perfection as possible.
I'm going to make an exception on comic reading for TMNT and try a few of them, Mirage obviously because this is where the franchise was created and IDW because as you said people also seem to like this a lot and recommend it .

Re:2012 intro, my son and I would turn the volume up for this
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 12:57 AM   #26
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

I didn't really like the 2k12 intro.

I thought it was lazy.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 01:28 AM   #27
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacksSoUgly View Post
I was too young for the original comics and haven't spent a lot of time going back to them.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:04 AM   #28
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
I didn't really like the 2k12 intro.

I thought it was lazy.
A lazy remake of the original, to be more exact.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 03:09 AM   #29
Dejablue
Stone Warrior

Lazy remake of 87?

More like a remix of 87 with better writing and animation and story telling. And I mean that for the whole show including the intro.

^^^^
SHELLHEADS Inc.- A TMNT Discord!
Dejablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:58 AM   #30
CyberCubed
Overlord

The Nick show and original cartoon are absolutely nothing alike. I have no idea why people keep saying it's a "remake" or whatever.

The IDW series is more of a reimagining of every old TMNT universe molded into one than anything.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:08 AM   #31
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The Nick show and original cartoon are absolutely nothing alike. I have no idea why people keep saying it's a "remake" or whatever.
We're talking about the intro music.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:06 AM   #32
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

• 4Kids Seasons 1-4
  • IDW
  • Mirage/Image (Volumes 1-4)

That's it. I'm a picky guy.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:06 PM   #33
BartAllen
Banned

The 03 series and the current IDW series are both really good.
The best, though, is still the original Mirage book. It's what I'm happiest with and still go back and read to this day.
BartAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 05:33 PM   #34
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Remake is hardly an appropriate term, but to say they are "absolutely nothing alike" is ridiculous. Auman's influence alone made it (at times) equally goofy. & you've got your Krang tech failures, monster of the week episodes, pizza fixations, Bebop & Rocksteady, food fights & other campy kinds of combat, etc. The turtles were even occasionally pigeonholed into behaving in accordance with their stereotyped personalities attributed by David Wise & Co. The Nick series is leagues ahead of Fred Wolf in terms of plot, action, drama, etc. but they share many similarities (& I don't mean to say that's a good or bad thing, it's just objective fact).

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:25 PM   #35
ZacksSoUgly
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
HA!!

I definitely will! What's the best collection to buy to get through the OG Mirage material?
Kevin Eastman Interview

Old 06-18-2018, 10:04 PM   #36
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Quote:
My "perfect" version of TMNT media is a toss up between the 1990 film and the current IDW comics. I was too young for the original comics and haven't spent a lot of time going back to them.
DUDE-- the original Mirage comics were literally used as storyboards while Steve Barron and Todd Langen were hammering the screenplay! I think you'll love 'em!

I'm not sure which collection is considered best. The old issues were printed in black and white on newsprint paper, so even if you go cheap, the experience will be there.

The comic adaptation of the 1990 movie is pretty awesome, as well.
d_osborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:00 PM   #37
Dejablue
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Remake is hardly an appropriate term, but to say they are "absolutely nothing alike" is ridiculous. Auman's influence alone made it (at times) equally goofy. & you've got your Krang tech failures, monster of the week episodes, pizza fixations, Bebop & Rocksteady, food fights & other campy kinds of combat, etc. The turtles were even occasionally pigeonholed into behaving in accordance with their stereotyped personalities attributed by David Wise & Co. The Nick series is leagues ahead of Fred Wolf in terms of plot, action, drama, etc. but they share many similarities (& I don't mean to say that's a good or bad thing, it's just objective fact).
Thats why I said "Remix" not "Remake".

^^^^
SHELLHEADS Inc.- A TMNT Discord!
Dejablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:18 PM   #38
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
HA!!

I definitely will! What's the best collection to buy to get through the OG Mirage material?
The Ultimate Collection from IDW. Maybe not the "best" but it's by far the easiest/cheapest one to get. The missing issue are collected as Classics 1-7, expect for a few that will never be reprinted due to copyright issues.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:42 PM   #39
ZacksSoUgly
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
DUDE-- the original Mirage comics were literally used as storyboards while Steve Barron and Todd Langen were hammering the screenplay! I think you'll love 'em!

I'm not sure which collection is considered best. The old issues were printed in black and white on newsprint paper, so even if you go cheap, the experience will be there.

The comic adaptation of the 1990 movie is pretty awesome, as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
The Ultimate Collection from IDW. Maybe not the "best" but it's by far the easiest/cheapest one to get. The missing issue are collected as Classics 1-7, expect for a few that will never be reprinted due to copyright issues.
Thanks, guys! I knew the original run was what inspired the movie and I believe I have the First Publishing TMNT graphic novels in storage somewhere. Those are the original Mirage run, right?

I'll look into the IDW set and read (or re-read) those. Thanks again!
Kevin Eastman Interview

Old 06-19-2018, 09:47 PM   #40
Shark_Blade
Emperor

I think IDW turtles are the best at the moment. For once, Mikey is not an idiotic moron.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote