The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 01-19-2017, 08:34 PM   #41
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by THGhost View Post
For me, CGI has its place. It can be a very useful tool and can look amazing when done well. If something absolutely cannot be achieved practically or within the movie's budget, then use CGI. If it can be done practically and within the budget, then do it practically.
CGI is very expensive to make, so the filmmakers try to shoot as much practical as possible.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:17 PM   #42
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Quote:
For me, CGI has its place. It can be a very useful tool and can look amazing when done well. If something absolutely cannot be achieved practically or within the movie's budget, then use CGI. If it can be done practically and within the budget, then do it practically.
I came across this video a while ago that adds some valuable insight into the CGI v practical debate:

Old 01-20-2017, 01:08 AM   #43
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
That's certainly one way to look at it. Creating matte paintings is still more work than using a CG background though, I'd imagine.
It is though, for som reason matte paintings on glass gets a free pass of "not being lazy" but matte painting in digital is seen as "lazy". You still need the proper skill set when it comes to sculpting, painting and how to make things move.

I've only got four years of education in 3D modeling and animation, but I can testify that it's not just a push of a button to make things.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 01:25 AM   #44
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Matte paintings get a pass aesthetically too. The good ones are great, but a lot of them stand out like a sore thumb.
ProactiveMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 08:29 AM   #45
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

CG is just a modern tool for special effects and is used for the same purposes that glass matte paintings and stop-motion animation were used for.

The issue is not with the f/x nor f/x artists, but with:

1) The designs. You used to hear that the key to a great design is whether or not it can be identified with just a black silhouette. There is a reason why I prefer Tim Burton's Batmobile over the Tumbler or any other contemporary Batmobile. It's simple, sleek, and easy to remember. The same goes for why I love the look of the 90s Turtles overs the PD Turtles. I understand the idea is to ground them, yet the 90s Turtles feel more grounded. It's because their designs are simple and realistic.

2) How the F/X are used. Going back to design, I think if a design as simple and recognizable as the 90s Turtles were CG, I can get behind that. However, it is not just the designs but what they are used for. There has to be laws of physics in motion for these guys. You have to feel gravity when they leap. But sometimes directors/producers/powers that be envision these impossible, incredible, unbelievable shots/stunts and it just becomes over the top.

CG can be a great tool for filmmakers though. There is this great shot in War of the Worlds where, as they are driving away in a stolen van, the shot goes into the van with the actors. out of the van, around the van, and into it again, seamlessly. It is an amazing shot that combines CG and different takes. It's an effective shot and far more powerful than the typical shaking the cam/quick cut/"Oh this is soooooo intense, too bad you can't see it" technique. They couldn't have done that shot before CG.
sgtfbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 06:18 PM   #46
THGhost
Puppet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
CGI is very expensive to make, so the filmmakers try to shoot as much practical as possible.
This is very true. I don't know why people always assume that Hollywood just uses CGI for everything these days. That wouldn't be cost-effective at all.

1990 > OotS > TMNT 2014 > Turtles Forever > TMNT III > SotO > TMNT 2007

"Can't we all just get along?" - pennydreadful

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

"Act like freakin' adults for goodness sake." - Jester

"Tough guys with tiny voices." - Commenter 42
THGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 11:13 AM   #47
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
A lot of room for improvement.
I was impressed. The 1990 movie was too well done for me to dismiss it as average.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 07:03 PM   #48
slingtheory
Stone Warrior

It can be done and probably will be someday. The first movie holds up as well as it does because it was made by artists and people with a stake in the franchise. all it'll take to get that again is a creative team who cares about the property and making something that respects it rather than exploits it. That was the problem this last go around. It's obvious viacom wasn't interested in what makes a good tmnt movie they just figured they could replicate transformers success by getting bay and Co involved. Unforunately they could care less about the tmnt universe and it showed in the final product
slingtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 12:56 PM   #49
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
The CGI-costs will probably be less expensive during upcoming years, as the technology becomes more and more common for every years.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 03:55 AM   #50
Walkabout
Stone Warrior

I think it could be topped, but probably won't be.

PS the 1990 film is from the decade(come on now)/era the TMNT were from, I don't see how it could be any more "dated" than the TMNT are themselves.

R.I.P. Dave Brockie A.K.A. Oderus Urungus
None But The Brave
Walkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:09 AM   #51
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkabout View Post
I think it could be topped, but probably won't be.

PS the 1990 film is from the decade(come on now)/era the TMNT were from, I don't see how it could be any more "dated" than the TMNT are themselves.
TMNT debuted in 1984, but the film was recorded in 1989. However, the original films are from the time the interest peaked.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:27 AM   #52
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

I feel like if the film makers and the studio have a passion and an idea for a great movies, there's a chance it could be equaled in some fashion down the line. However, it seems that producers and studios need to move away from the idea of creating a TMNT film just to make a quick buck as opposed to creating something substantial. The 1990 film had the perfect combination of heart, tone, character development and action. I would LOVE for a new film to get it right and reinvigorate TMNT on screen with the same passion that happed in 1990, but it has to start from the beginning of the project.

My ultimate dream is to have Guillermo del Toro create a TMNT film that blends together themes and story beats from Mirage, the original '87 series and some elements from IDW. I feel he's the perfect guy to get a story with some meat to it as well as bringing in the updated practical effects this franchise could benefit from.

All in all though, nothing can really touch the 1990 film for me. I still say it's one of the greatest comic book movies ever made and is severely underrated in the grand scheme of things. I love movies like Man Bites Dog, The Holy Mountain, Drive, A Clockwork Orange...but there's something about Steve Barron's TMNT film that continues to capture my imagination with every viewing.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:46 AM   #53
Overlord

Guillermo del Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaphaelinSTL View Post
My ultimate dream is to have Guillermo del Toro create a TMNT film that blends together themes and story beats from Mirage, the original '87 series and some elements from IDW. I feel he's the perfect guy to get a story with some meat to it as well as bringing in the updated practical effects this franchise could benefit from.
But does he know much about TMNT in general?
Old 02-01-2017, 09:02 AM   #54
THGhost
Puppet Master

Quote:
All the yes!

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

Old 02-01-2017, 09:11 AM   #55
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
But does he know much about TMNT in general?
I think if he had the right team with him that knew a good amount about what makes these characters everlasting, unique and so popular...he could get up to speed on how to turn in a great film. He has the eye, the art and the vision to bring something amazing to screen and if he had some great writers and martial art choreographers with him I could see that movie being something really special.

Quote:
All the yes!
It's pretty much my number one request at this point!
Old 02-01-2017, 09:22 AM   #56
Overlord

Quote:
I think if he had the right team with him that knew a good amount about what makes these characters everlasting, unique and so popular...he could get up to speed on how to turn in a great film. He has the eye, the art and the vision to bring something amazing to screen and if he had some great writers and martial art choreographers with him I could see that movie being something really special.

It's pretty much my number one request at this point!
Maybe he should work more with people who grew up with TMNT?
Old 02-01-2017, 09:27 AM   #57
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Maybe he should work more with people who grew up with TMNT?
Pretty sure that goes in line with people who understand the characters like I said.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:30 AM   #58
Overlord

Quote:
Pretty sure that goes in line with people who understand the characters like I said.
He would probably need a series of three films to tell a longer storyline.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:35 PM   #59
THGhost
Puppet Master

This all sounds awesome. If only it could happen.

Old 02-02-2017, 08:54 AM   #60
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

I love Del Toro! i even spurged for that pricey Criterion set that was released not too long ago. He'd be great. He is also my dream choice for a Legend of Zelda film, if live action..... Studio Ghibli if animated ).

He's hinted at discussions about Hellboy 3, but that doesn't mean that film will get made. The thing about Del Toro is that he gets so many awesome projects lined up and then nothing happens with them. Some because of lack of studio interest (Hellboy 3). Others because they would be too expensive for an R rated film (At the Mountains of Madness). Others because, well, who knows? I have been wanting to see his take on The Haunted Mansion, that was reportedly going to include the infamous hatbox ghost, and nothing has ever become of that.
sgtfbomb is offline   Reply With Quote