The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 12-10-2017, 12:15 PM   #1
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

A pitch perfect Issue 1 adaptation on the big screen.

What do you think of this idea?

It would be a step by step telling of issue 1 of the Mirage comics (even more than the 1990 film) with obscure details such as the character of Oroku Nagi being implemented in order to make the film as faithful as possible.

No loosening up on the source material, just a pitch perfect live action or animated adaptation for the big screen with maybe more scenes in order to give the film more length and depth, but in the same spirit as the original comics.

I would love to see this done.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 01:25 PM   #2
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

I think the concept would have more legs as a Nettflix or Amazon limited series.

Do you think hardcore Mirage TMNT without any nostalgic FW elements would get enough normies into the average movie theater to make a profit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 01:38 PM   #3
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
Do you think hardcore Mirage TMNT without any nostalgic FW elements would get enough normies into the average movie theater to make a profit?
I think the radical difference in tone would spike people's curiosity and prompt them to see it.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:41 PM   #4
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

While I would love to see something turtle related set in the Mirage universe, I'd really rather prefer it not be another origin story. At least not at the outset.

That issue has been reprinted so many times, and every comic movie starts with an origin story of some sort.

I'd be far more interested in something that started at another time point, and then reflected back on the origin.

For instance, start with The Foot's attack on April's building.
We get good character stuff from all the guys, Splinter, and April. It's Casey's first appearance to the rest of the main cast. We'd get to see the Foot actually be competent, and Shredder be menacing. Good action, and a decent sting as they drive to NoHo.

Then that whole first season is the rebuilding, and then we can revisit the origin story. Maybe Casey learns it from April....I dunno.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 02:54 PM   #5
Xav
Foot Elite

I dunno it would take a lot of padding to turn a 40 page comic into a feature length film.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 03:20 PM   #6
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
I dunno it would take a lot of padding to turn a 40 page comic into a feature length film.
To be fair, a lot of the details such as the turtles' childhood and the entire story of Hamato Yoshi could take up a lot of time in a film, while being short in comic book format.

Although a movie without April and Casey would be weird, I still think it has potential and won't run into the problem of having characters under-developed due to there being too many of them.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 12-10-2017 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 03:35 PM   #7
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Why not make it short film?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 04:16 PM   #8
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
I think the concept would have more legs as a Nettflix or Amazon limited series.

I would like to see a miniseries on netflix or something like what they are doing with the daredevil series.

Quote:
This is the problem I see with trying to turn it into a movie. I think it would be better to combine issues 1 and 2 of Mirage into a movie
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 04:24 PM   #9
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
This is the problem I see with trying to turn it into a movie. I think it would be better to combine issues 1 and 2 of Mirage into a movie
This is initially what I was thinking about as well, but I feel issue 1 would be better as a standalone movie as it would be weird in my opinion having the big bad eliminated halfway through the film and then introduce April and Baxter in the second half.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:47 PM   #10
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

While I would love seeing a #1 movie faithfully done, I don't think it'd make a good movie, it's a great comic, but I think some changes need to be done for it to be a engaging movie.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 04:54 PM   #11
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Yeah, it'd be like a 30 minute movie. Needs more meat. Far be it from me to bemoan well-meaning Mirage adaptations, though.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 05:14 PM   #12
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

If I was making an Issue 1 movie, I would add in additional scenes but keep every scene from the comic book panels intact.

For example, right after the beginning when the turtles beat up the Purple Dragon thugs and enter the sewers to meet Splinter, we are first shown a scene of Splinter having the turtles train against each other and then test their skills against him before actually sitting down and telling them their origin story.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:18 PM   #13
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
If I was making an Issue 1 movie, I would add in additional scenes but keep every scene from the comic book panels
I wouldn't be that slavish to it. And would update it from a 1984 sensibility to a 2017 sensibility.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:28 PM   #14
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
This is initially what I was thinking about as well, but I feel issue 1 would be better as a standalone movie as it would be weird in my opinion having the big bad eliminated halfway through the film and then introduce April and Baxter in the second half.
But as other has said there is not enough material to make a movie out of. You realize the 1990 movie took parts from like 4 or 5 different Mirage Comics right??? There just isn't enough material. I also don't think Nick would allow it, bc in Mirage TMNT starts the fight, more of villainous/anti hero look for TMNT which Nick probably doesn't want.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:41 PM   #15
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
You realize the 1990 movie took parts from like 4 or 5 different Mirage Comics right???
Yes, I know that.

Quote:
There just isn't enough material.
I disagree, since many of the panels in the comics in my opinion can be adapted into much longer movie scenes rather than being glossed over in a matter of seconds (For e.g..Splinter raising the turtles from childhood and training them, Shredder leaving Japan and becoming the leader of the New York Branch of the Foot, The whole angle exploring the relationship between Hamato Yoshi, Tang Shen and Oroku Nagi etc.).

Have it all build up to the big epic fight on the rooftop, but I also think its possible to add in additional scenes exploring the personalities of the turtles, training scenes as I said before, and so on without compromising what happened in the original story.

Quote:
I also don't think Nick would allow it, bc in Mirage TMNT starts the fight, more of villainous/anti hero look for TMNT which Nick probably doesn't want.
Yeah, true that unfortunately.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:59 PM   #16
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Yes, I know that.

I disagree, since many of the panels in the comics in my opinion can be adapted into much longer movie scenes rather than being glossed over in a matter of seconds (For e.g..Splinter raising the turtles from childhood and training them, Shredder leaving Japan and becoming the leader of the New York Branch of the Foot, The whole angle exploring the relationship between Hamato Yoshi, Tang Shen and Oroku Nagi etc.).

Have it all build up to the big epic fight on the rooftop, but I also think its possible to add in additional scenes exploring the personalities of the turtles, training scenes as I said before, and so on without compromising what happened in the original story.

Yeah, true that unfortunately.
The Reason I don't think it can be done is bc of previous attempts the most recent example would be Batman: Killing Joke. They add I want to say 30-45 mins of stuff that wasn't in the comic. And that movie has been criticized so badly..... its not even funny. But that pretty much why I don't think a direct adaptation of a comic could be made into a movie.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:30 PM   #17
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Yeah, they added a bunch of stuff to both Willy Wonka and The Grinch, to try and flesh it out while still keeping it faithful to the source material...to varied success.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 08:52 PM   #18
Powder
So tired of this place

It'd be a treat as an animated DTV feature, but otherwise I want something of a broader scale. Let's do Triceratons, Battle Nexus, things like that. Otherworldly enemies, dimension hopping, space, Utroms, stuff that rings true to Mirage but caters to the Marvel normie-geek crowd without having to pander to Fred Wolf nostalgia.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:01 PM   #19
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
But as other has said there is not enough material to make a movie out of. You realize the 1990 movie took parts from like 4 or 5 different Mirage Comics right??? There just isn't enough material.
You're not wrong but... you also realize the 1990 movie didn't even have large chunks of #1 in it, right? Like, important character ones. And merged Orokus together and stuff. I want to see my damn Ninja Turtles with climbing claws and shuriken, too.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:04 PM   #20
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
But as other has said there is not enough material to make a movie out of. You realize the 1990 movie took parts from like 4 or 5 different Mirage Comics right??? There just isn't enough material.
You're not wrong but... you also realize the 1990 movie didn't even have large chunks of #1 in it, right? Like, important character ones. And merged Orokus together and stuff.

If we were going full on adaptation mode, I'd do #1 but just not have Saki die (instead, have Saki win and beat back the Turtles... sort of merge this in later, to #10), then Raphael (a condensed but updated version), Leo special, #10, #11, and basically Return to New York exactly as written, with that being the big Saki defeat.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 12-10-2017 at 09:56 PM.