The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 08-02-2018, 09:49 AM   #61
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
That said, ignoring TMNT 2-4 entirely and just doing a "30 years later" sequel to the first movie (kind of like Robocop is doing now) would be far from the worst route they could take.
Yea...didn't work for Superman Returns however...that'll teach'em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther10 View Post
I might be in the minority here but I would kind of like to see the Director's cut of this movie adapted to 4K resolution. if possible. And please offer it as a trilogy. Those movies really have to be watched as a saga rather than just as a one off. (despite most tmnt's fans objections to the latter two films.)
What we really need is special editions of all three movies. Maybe Shout or Arrow could do it.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:21 AM   #62
bwwd
Hench Mutant

Did You guys noticed how many shots from dailies are on turtle power documentary?
I think they had access to these by interviewing Steve Barron and they have a lot more of that.. maybe ?
Did they post here how they come to get these shots ? These are dailes from camera lens recorded to video camera, so all takes are there , deleted, bloopers and alll that.
Maybe we should ask them about that stuff and if they can show more.
On 1:20

0:30

or this entire vid
Old 09-24-2018, 06:12 PM   #63
bwwd
Hench Mutant

Just found this interview and Josh says Steve Barron was let go during the end of the film cause it was too dark
https://soundcloud.com/i-was-there-t...with-josh-pais
Old 09-25-2018, 09:05 PM   #64
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwwd View Post
Just found this interview and Josh says Steve Barron was let go during the end of the film cause it was too dark
I'm curious if Barron had anything to say about that in his commentary on that German DVD from a few years back.
sgtfbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 02:41 PM   #65
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Does he specify what exactly it was in terms of the footage that got Barron fired or sacked?
Old 09-28-2018, 08:48 AM   #66
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

I haven't had a chance to listen to the interview yet (COME ON LUNCH!), but it's my understanding that Golden Harvest thought the film was literally too dark. Not as in the tone of the film or script-- simply the cinematography exposure.

Director of Photography John Fenner did a ton of testing on style/intensity of lighting to make the Henson suits look as good as possible. Too bright and they looked utterly cartoonish (SOTO). They went with a very dim look to the film, but Golden Harvest wanted the film exposure "pushed" (over-developed... brightened) in post-production. Notice people complaining about the film grain? That's a result of pushing film exposure.

To my knowledge, Barron and Menke were let go from the film after their initial edit was complete. Golden Harvest took over from there, handling the score, soundtrack, further edits, etc.
d_osborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 01:13 PM   #67
The-Shredder
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
I haven't had a chance to listen to the interview yet (COME ON LUNCH!), but it's my understanding that Golden Harvest thought the film was literally too dark. Not as in the tone of the film or script-- simply the cinematography exposure.

Director of Photography John Fenner did a ton of testing on style/intensity of lighting to make the Henson suits look as good as possible. Too bright and they looked utterly cartoonish (SOTO). They went with a very dim look to the film, but Golden Harvest wanted the film exposure "pushed" (over-developed... brightened) in post-production. Notice people complaining about the film grain? That's a result of pushing film exposure.

To my knowledge, Barron and Menke were let go from the film after their initial edit was complete. Golden Harvest took over from there, handling the score, soundtrack, further edits, etc.
Would it be possible to remaster the movie without the excessive film exposure from the negative or is the original unedited footage needed? The latter is most likely scrapped after production ended.
The-Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 03:46 PM   #68
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Pais merely states Barron was taken off the film at the end. There isn't a whole lot of elaboration. Considering he probably had zero presence on the film during post-production, I doubt he knows many details about the issue either.

Quote:

I stand corrected. I've always thought it was a stylistic choice, particularly in the minimalist flashback sequences. I do think the grain adds a little texture and gives it a gritty, urban look.

So many interesting details here. There needs to be an entire book or a feature length documentary centered solely on the making of this film.
Old 09-28-2018, 09:19 PM   #69
Shinigami
Thug

Quote:
I heard this too, but had it confirmed that it wasn't like a firing. They just didn't really let him anywhere near the editing room.
Shinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 03:10 PM   #70
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
They went with a very dim look to the film, but Golden Harvest wanted the film exposure "pushed" (over-developed... brightened) in post-production. Notice people complaining about the film grain? That's a result of pushing film exposure.
I was under the impression the grainy look of the film was just typical of the film stock Golden Harvest used for it's films generally. Japanese films looked a lot more grainy than Hollywood ones back then.
Old 10-04-2018, 03:59 PM   #71
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
I was under the impression the grainy look of the film was just typical of the film stock Golden Harvest used for it's films generally. Japanese films looked a lot more grainy than Hollywood ones back then.
True, not every shot would have had a pushed exposure. A lot of the grain we see is the native film stock. I'm not 100% on exactly what shots Barron was referring to... maybe just the flashbacks? All dark scenes? It would be cool to have some clarification. Anyway, yeah... the film was low budget on everything save for the puppet FX. I'm guessing a faster film stock was used by Fenner, which would be more sensitive to light, therefore requiring less lights on set. A key feature of faster film stocks? Grain. I'll do some poking around.

On the firing thing-- I'm wondering if it was as simple as a contractual thing? Barron and Menke might have only been contracted for their initial cut. Perhaps internal Golden Harvest post-production teams in China were far cheaper than continuing to pay Barron and Menke? This is of course all speculation... Barron never seemed to have a negative tone while talking about the process, after all.
d_osborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 09:23 PM   #72
clockstomper
Thug

This may be a little shallow, but damn, Judith looks good. The years have been very kind.

I loved hearing that Robin Williams was a fan. He would have been a great Professor Perry, especially if they stuck with him being a secret Utrom. Williams probably had a great Krang performance in him.
clockstomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 10:15 PM   #73
Leonardo87
Stone Warrior

I'm really thinking this might just happen after all. We just got the recently announced to be released of the score on vinyl. Fingers crossed tightly.
Leonardo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:13 PM   #74
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
True, not every shot would have had a pushed exposure. A lot of the grain we see is the native film stock. I'm not 100% on exactly what shots Barron was referring to... maybe just the flashbacks? All dark scenes? It would be cool to have some clarification. Anyway, yeah... the film was low budget on everything save for the puppet FX. I'm guessing a faster film stock was used by Fenner, which would be more sensitive to light, therefore requiring less lights on set. A key feature of faster film stocks? Grain. I'll do some poking around.
I realize this is off topic but how's the Ghostbusters docs going? I don't visit the GB Fans site any more so not up to date with the Buenos documentaries.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:44 AM   #75
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
I realize this is off topic but how's the Ghostbusters docs going? I don't visit the GB Fans site any more so not up to date with the Buenos documentaries.
They announced on their FB pages that Cleanin' Up the Town is looking to hit right in time for the first film's 35th anniversary. So, knock on wood, it looks it's coming out next year, the first doc at least.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:55 AM   #76
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

So basically Barron finished shooting his movie and then wasn't allowed to be an editor? First of all, you generally don't have a director involved in the editing because they're not going to be objective. Second, how was he "fired"? Was Steve Barron at any point hired to be an editor? No. He was hired to direct the movie and he completed his job.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:38 AM   #77
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
So basically Barron finished shooting his movie and then wasn't allowed to be an editor? First of all, you generally don't have a director involved in the editing because they're not going to be objective. Second, how was he "fired"? Was Steve Barron at any point hired to be an editor? No. He was hired to direct the movie and he completed his job.
I'd think not having a director in the editing room is a recipe for disaster, but what do I know about filmmaking.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 03:20 PM   #78
Shinigami
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I'd think not having a director in the editing room is a recipe for disaster, but what do I know about filmmaking.
It’s the polar opposite. An editor makes hard choices and a director is too attached to the stuff they shot to let it get cut. Ever noticed how while generally more informative, directors cuts usually suck.
Shinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 03:38 PM   #79
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigami View Post
directors cuts usually suck.
This has not been my experience. Almost every Director's Cut I've ever watched contained crucial pieces of plot and character development which were clearly cut for running time or to appease the ratings board, not to make the film any better.

It's entirely possible that we watch completely different kinds of films, but I'm curious what you're basing your opinion on.

I will say that the "Apocalypse Now" DC had a few slow spots, but so did the rest of the movie so it didn't really bother me. And the ending of the theatrical cut of "Legend" made more sense, while the rest of the movie was better served by the DC. That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 03:45 PM   #80
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigami View Post
It’s the polar opposite. An editor makes hard choices and a director is too attached to the stuff they shot to let it get cut.
Precisely.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote