TMNT #72 preview & discussion

Preview here.
AlZarkovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 05:07 AM   #2
2K3
Foot Soldier

Have to admit never saw that coming...

Spoiler:
Nice to see Stockman again; still sassy as ever.
2K3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:02 AM   #3
ChosenOne
Banned

Nice Stockman scene, it's always good to see that slimy bastard out and about.

You just know that if he sees fit to cut a deal with Kitsune or RK, he will, survival of mankind be damned.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:15 AM   #4
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Thinking about it, going to You Know Who as a replacement for Harold makes perfect sense.

I love this.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:20 AM   #5
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Thinking about it, going to You Know Who as a replacement for Harold makes perfect sense.

I love this.
When the alliance of convinence breaks then a certain person will be the one to put him behind bars as if a poetic connection going back to his first appearance.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:40 AM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord

It is odd that if the Patheon are such immortal gods that have been around since the dawn of man for 200,000 or so years, that they aren't the rulers and Gods of all humanity by now. Like...what have they been doing for 200,000 years?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:44 AM   #7
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
It is odd that if the Patheon are such immortal gods that have been around since the dawn of man for 200,000 or so years, that they aren't the rulers and Gods of all humanity by now. Like...what have they been doing for 200,000 years?
Apparently locked in an endless cycle of tying each other's shoelaces together and enjoying the ensuing pratfalls, which is what Kitsune is poised to break with the second coming of the Dragon Warrior (and why I believe some or most of the Pantheon won't particularly care for her idea).
Old 07-25-2017, 12:23 PM   #8
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
They've said time and time again that their "game" has rules.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:27 PM   #9
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlZarkovski View Post
Preview here.
I don't have much to say about the preview other than it's nice to see Stockman again, pretty sure he hasn't been in the story since the opening arc of Universe.

At first I thought it looked like the chart of the Pantheon could have more than eight members but then I noticed that wasn't really possible.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 04:11 PM   #10
Mutant Ninja Anole
Stone Warrior

Honestly, anything could happen here. My guess is we get the standard fight scene between the Turtles and Jagwar to establish her as a skilled opponent before Rat King calls a stop to it and lets them sit in, because it's amusing. That and Leo is still his unwitting pawn.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:48 PM   #11
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Oh yeah! So much has happened that the "pawn" part as kind of been swept away by other things.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:44 AM   #12
ChosenOne
Banned

I expected something more from this issue. Don't know what, just... A bit more. It was amazing, and great art (particularly dug that panel where Leo turns to Donnie as he's being brainwashed by Kitsune), but after the revelations of last issue, I kinda hoped more Pantheon members would warm up to the Turtles or something. And it seemed to go by way too fast, like half a normal issue, even though it was the same number of pages.

One great thing that sticks out, though, is the visual of the assembled Pantheon vs. the Turtles. These guys are definitely the TMNT version of the Sinister Six! They even have a Doc Ock, a Vulture, a Kraven and a Mysterio of their own!

Another great issue, but too dang fast. Left me wanting more.

Then again, they all do...
Old 07-26-2017, 07:59 AM   #13
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

It's not quite what I was expecting, but still fun.

Especially poor ol' Toady watching his house get trashed
Old 07-26-2017, 08:22 AM   #14
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I'm not sure what I was expecting with this issue. I got something different.

Still enjoyed it. Rat King was a delight, as was Stockman.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:37 AM   #15
CyberCubed
Overlord

Oddly the Pantheon seem less powerful when they're all together than apart. With 3 fighters and Rat King and Kitsune's tricks, the Turtles should have been decimated. Also Aka seems to be on the side of the Turtles for good, which I think might have something to do with Tang Shen eventually.

I think Jagwar is going to get an arc, maybe with Mammoth, because they're actual fighters unlike all the magic users so it would be nice to see them have brawls with them.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:54 AM   #16
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Oddly the Pantheon seem less powerful when they're all together than apart. With 3 fighters and Rat King and Kitsune's tricks, the Turtles should have been decimated. Also Aka seems to be on the side of the Turtles for good, which I think might have something to do with Tang Shen eventually.

I think Jagwar is going to get an arc, maybe with Mammoth, because they're actual fighters unlike all the magic users so it would be nice to see them have brawls with them.
It was Hide and Seek and Kill, man. At least for everyone except Jagwar.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:00 AM   #17
CyberCubed
Overlord

They were all there, and two (or three?) have magic powers. I get the feeling Gothano is the most powerful of them all too but he was generally holding back. Jagwar doesn't appear to be much stronger than your average mutant fighter, Mammoth probably should have went charging with his tusks instead of using a crossbow.

Aka and Toad Baron weren't attacking of course, but Rat King also didn't do anything till the end.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:11 AM   #18
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Jagwar doesn't appear to be much stronger than your average mutant fighter (...)
Debatable. She did seem to kick Raph pretty hard there, but then again, him smashing against the display cabinet might've skewed my perception of the blow somewhat. And he didn't seem hurt at all afterwards too (having PTSD-induced flashbacks to the discussion on Dragon Ball Super's episode 100 here ) so you might be on to something.

There's also the fact that her Umbrella Smash Special(TM) didn't hurt Mikey much at all...

One of the best things about this issue is Toad Baron's hilarious art collection in the background, some of them amphibian-themed distortions on real life works of art. There's even a bust of a "Napoleon Bonafrog" of sorts on the top two panels of page 17! I don't recognize the bust next to that one, but it might depict someone of similar historical importance. Keep your eyes peeled for the background of panels in the Den of Delights, it's brilliant!

Last edited by ChosenOne; 07-26-2017 at 09:50 AM.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:16 AM   #19
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
They were all there, and two (or three?) have magic powers. I get the feeling Gothano is the most powerful of them all too but he was generally holding back. Jagwar doesn't appear to be much stronger than your average mutant fighter, Mammoth probably should have went charging with his tusks instead of using a crossbow.

Aka and Toad Baron weren't attacking of course, but Rat King also didn't do anything till the end.
They're curious. Rat King, Aka, and Kitsune obviously know much more about them, so of course the rest of the Pantheon is going to pull some punches until they know more of what's going on.

Two of the three siblings familiar with the Turtles are the tricksters. Proceed with caution.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:19 PM   #20
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I just realized something some of you have already been criticizing for awhile now...

The Turtles really do feel like recurring characters, not the main characters anymore.

"Desperate Measures" was really more about Hob and the Mutanimals (and of course Bishop)... "Pantheon Family Reunion" has been more about the Pantheon, "Dimension X" and "Trial of Krang" is undoubtedly going to be mainly focused on a whole horde of aliens, mutants, and weirdos.

That's probably going to remain the case off and on for the rest of the run, now that the character roster is so packed.