The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 08-24-2019, 02:30 AM   #1
TommyT
Banned

Why does April get the shaft?

She’s the last figure to be featured in most lines, and usually looks the worst.
Neca is great, but where’s the love for April? Her figure is the sloppiest of the entire run. It’s a conspiracy I tell you!
TommyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 07:11 AM   #2
mikey0
Foot Elite

NECA is not sure if April will sell as well as the Turtles, Shredder, and the Foot Soldier do.

You have heard my viewpoint on the Target 2 pack line many times before. It needs to be scrapped. NECA should focus on the Mirage Comics and 1990 Movie lines and not Cartoon figures.

A Judith Hoag April is very much needed for the 1990 Movie line along with an Elias Koteas Casey Jones. Those two versions of the characters should have been made first over Cyborg Casey and Big Hipped April from the upcoming Target 2 Pack line.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 12:22 PM   #3
useasneeded4pain
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
You have heard my viewpoint on the Target 2 pack line many times before. It needs to be scrapped. NECA should focus on the Mirage Comics and 1990 Movie lines and not Cartoon figures.
Yeah, NECA needs to scrap their biggest/most popular TMNT line. That'd be great for both their business and us as customers.
useasneeded4pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 12:55 PM   #4
TommyT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by useasneeded4pain View Post
Yeah, NECA needs to scrap their biggest/most popular TMNT line. That'd be great for both their business and us as customers.
I feel like he’s working for Playmates. I also don’t know that anyone is really excited for a Judith Hoag action figure.

We do need an Archie April, a Mirage April (not the first appearance), maybe even a Paige Turco figure.

But most of all, if you’re doing April from the FW cartoon, it should look like April, FROM the cartoon. They’re not reusing a tool here, so it’s a fair ask.
Old 08-24-2019, 01:45 PM   #5
Musashi
Foot Soldier

When it comes to Judith Hoag, Elias Koteas and Paige Turco figures, likeness rights might be an issue. They might not have been part of the actors' contracts - the TMNT III April figure only really looks like Paige Turco if you accept that its highly stylized - or might not extend up to the present day. Negotiating them from the ground up, even if the actors are fine with it and reasonable in their fee expectations, might automatically be expensive and difficult. If, on top of that, the company are in any doubt about thepotential sales, it explains why they're either left alone or left till later.

Last edited by Musashi; 08-24-2019 at 04:05 PM.
Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 04:06 PM   #6
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyT View Post
I feel like he’s working for Playmates. I also don’t know that anyone is really excited for a Judith Hoag action figure.

We do need an Archie April, a Mirage April (not the first appearance), maybe even a Paige Turco figure.

But most of all, if you’re doing April from the FW cartoon, it should look like April, FROM the cartoon. They’re not reusing a tool here, so it’s a fair ask.
I’m sure Turtles fans would buy a Judith Hoag April in 7 inch scale. 1/4 Judith Hoag April would be purchased by die hard Turtles fan exclusively.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:24 PM   #7
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:

You said it, yourself, here that April from the FW cartoon should look like April from the FW cartoon. The notion that the Target 2 Pack line is nearly perfect is a fallacy.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:32 PM   #8
TommyT
Banned

Quote:
You said it, yourself, here that April from the FW cartoon should look like April from the FW cartoon. The notion that the Target 2 Pack line is nearly perfect is a fallacy.
Yeah, while I agree that they can IMPROVE the look of the line, I also think Neca’s worst is 10x Playmates best.
Old 09-06-2019, 05:58 AM   #9
TommyT
Banned

Quote:
I forget where you complained about teeth, or the lack of in 87 Turtles, but I saw this, and thought of you.
Old 08-24-2019, 04:11 PM   #10
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by useasneeded4pain View Post
The black painted lines on the ‘17 SDCC and second wave Target 2 pack figures kill the appeal for me. The Cartoon figures are meant to be shelved and nothing else. There is not any play value to them like there is with both scales of the 1990 Movie figures.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:08 AM   #11
TommyT
Banned

Quote:
The black painted lines on the ‘17 SDCC and second wave Target 2 pack figures kill the appeal for me. The Cartoon figures are meant to be shelved and nothing else. There is not any play value to them like there is with both scales of the 1990 Movie figures.
OMG! Now I get it!

You’re complaining about the black CARTOON lines they added to the figures!
Okay, YES I get it now! And YES I hate those stupid black lines too. It’s just as ugly as the two tone cell shade deco. Ugly as sin.

Also ugly as sin, is the FW April. They need to fix her. She looks like Jay Leno in a bad wig.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:56 AM   #12
cloud
Stone Warrior

Quote:
She’s the last figure to be featured in most lines, and usually looks the worst.
Neca is great, but where’s the love for April? Her figure is the sloppiest of the entire run. It’s a conspiracy I tell you!
Not true. For a long time April was always in the first series or so.
Lego sets splits the turtles in different sets and quite often include Shredder/Splinter and April
The playmates vintage line had April in series 2 I think.
But for the 2k3 line she was in series2, 2012 line she was in wave 1, Rise of TMNT she was also in wave 1.

The reason she doesn't look quite as good is probabaly because Playmates think she is a supporting character that rarely get into fights. So she is often less posable and feature more practical accessories rather than weapons, from laptops to cellphones or camera. Sometimes she comes with a pipe or a baseball bat or something.
cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 02:25 AM   #13
TommyT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud View Post

The reason she doesn't look quite as good is probabaly because Playmates think she is a supporting character that rarely get into fights. So she is often less posable and feature more practical accessories rather than weapons, from laptops to cellphones or camera. Sometimes she comes with a pipe or a baseball bat or something.
Yeah, I get the bias against female action figures, it’s a long running issue, for sure. Neca has a chance to fix it. Shredder looks good, Krang, Slash, Bebop, all look solid. April looks like Jay Leno. She’s supposed to be hot. Female figures don’t have to suck.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:38 AM   #14
Sumac
Banned

I want to make a pron joke, but I won't.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 04:05 AM   #15
TommyT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
I’ve already made 2. Go ahead.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:44 AM   #16
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
OMG! Now I get it!

You’re complaining about the black CARTOON lines they added to the figures!
Okay, YES I get it now! And YES I hate those stupid black lines too. It’s just as ugly as the two tone cell shade deco. Ugly as sin.

Also ugly as sin, is the FW April. They need to fix her. She looks like Jay Leno in a bad wig.
There’s not one Target 2 Pack figure that reminds me of the source it’s based off of. The head sculpts of the turtles look nothing like the face the turtles would make on the FW toon. Krang is a pale pink when he should be a darker pink. Shredder looks like he has been doing some chest pumping. The Foot Soldiers have too much drapery and they look like they came out of the 2002 Toy Biz Marvel Legends line. The eye, nose, and mouth part of Casey’s mask has been enlarged. April’s got a forgettable head sculpt, very tiny torso, and crab legs. Rocksteady looks too militant and Bebop would not keep his mouth open like that in any rendition of the character (with the exception being the video game Bebop). The colors for the repainted turtles remind me of those found on the Dollar Tree TMNT keychains. Slash came out fine (the best Target 2 Pack figure out of them all). Leatherhead suffers from excessive highlighting black paint lines. As for Metalhead, the sculpt isn’t fat enough, the mouth actually LACKS a black painted line, and the eyes are small triangles instead of scalene triangles.

NECA really should leave the FW tooniverse alone. The 1990 Movie figures are their strong suit.
Old 08-27-2019, 02:53 PM   #17
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
I mean she's the only recurring female character, who else are the heroes gonna give it to?

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 02:14 AM   #18
TommyT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
I mean she's the only recurring female character, who else are the heroes gonna give it to?
Deviantart votes Splinter, Tumbler thinks each other.
Old 08-28-2019, 03:45 AM   #19
youhavemysupport
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
I would like to post a video but also not get banned so here is my reenactment:

Spoiler:

🍕
Old 08-31-2019, 10:24 AM   #20
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Outside of the NECA 2008 Mirage Comics, the 1990 Jim Henson Movie, and a few other lines, when was April ever the last figure to be featured in a Turtles line? Not in any of the Playmates or Diamond Select Minimates lines.