TMNT Macroseries #1

TMNT Macroseries #2

TMNT Urban Legends #6

Rise of the TMNT #1
AlZarkovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 12:31 PM   #822
CyberCubed
Overlord

Seems the main ongoing will be under 10,000 sales as the norm now. I'm guess after we hit #100 they may try to do a full relaunch to reboot sales again with a new #1, even it's still in continuity.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 12:37 PM   #823
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Seems the main ongoing will be under 10,000 sales as the norm now. I'm guess after we hit #100 they may try to do a full relaunch to reboot sales again with a new #1, even it's still in continuity.
This excites me.

As a long-time comicbook reader, of course I have love for the ongoing issue count, but I also want to see TMNT get the attention of some new readers, and maybe some fresh creative angle to keep things interesting.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 12:54 PM   #824
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
This excites me.

As a long-time comicbook reader, of course I have love for the ongoing issue count, but I also want to see TMNT get the attention of some new readers, and maybe some fresh creative angle to keep things interesting.
For the record, I don't agree with a relaunch, but... What if Splinter dies in #100 and the new #1 (actually #101 but who's counting?) is framed by Leo's narration to bring the reader up to speed on current events, maybe even after a short time skip, mirroring what Splinter did in volume 1's #1?
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 01:19 PM   #825
CyberCubed
Overlord

That's what I'm expecting. Keep continuity (of course, they won't be able to wrap up all the plots by issue 100 anyway), but make a new #1 and treat it like a fresh start with a new status quo. If Splinter dies in issue 100 it would be a good thing to leave off with.

Because otherwise I don't know what else they can do. The animated comics based on Nick 2012 and Rise don't sell very well to begin with, and the micros/mini's always sell less than the main ongoing too. So reboot the main ongoing with a new #1, but keep it in continuity and see where it goes from there.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:03 PM   #826
AquaParade
Banned

Keep in mind there’s no rule against them keeping the “legacy numbering” in small print.
I think that could soften the blow of a new #1 in longtime reader’s eyes.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:21 PM   #827
CyberCubed
Overlord

November sales.

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomi...8/2018-11.html

TMNT Ongoing #88 11,341
TMNT Macroseries #3 7,317

TMNT Urban Legends #7 6,600
Rise of the TMNT #2 4,416

The main ongoing jumped 2,000 copies better than last month, likely due to the promos hyping up
Spoiler:
Slash's death
and the conclusion of the arc.

The Rise of the TMNT comic is selling very poorly, only on its second issue (or third if you count issue #0), with only barely above 4,000 sales. I can see why it's already going on hiatus. The previous Nick animated cartoon comic at least had very good sales for it's first few years.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:47 AM   #828
Igglet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
November sales.

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomi...8/2018-11.html

TMNT Ongoing #88 11,341
TMNT Macroseries #3 7,317

TMNT Urban Legends #7 6,600
Rise of the TMNT #2 4,416

The main ongoing jumped 2,000 copies better than last month, likely due to the promos hyping up
Spoiler:
Slash's death
and the conclusion of the arc.

The Rise of the TMNT comic is selling very poorly, only on its second issue (or third if you count issue #0), with only barely above 4,000 sales. I can see why it's already going on hiatus. The previous Nick animated cartoon comic at least had very good sales for it's first few years.
Hopefully the sales for the ongoing series will just be going up as we're approaching the City at War arc.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:45 AM   #829
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Keep in mind there’s no rule against them keeping the “legacy numbering” in small print.
I think that could soften the blow of a new #1 in longtime reader’s eyes.
Just a shower thought: is there any reason not to, or precedent in comics for, having both numbers meld into each other over time? Say, #101 could be number "101", with the "10" faded out in comparison to the "1", and then over time we'd get "110", "125", "150", etc. And then eventually after "199" we'd have #200, like how many of Marvel's titles were added up to reach #500 and #600 a couple of years back.

That would please both sides, I think, and would look visually cool, which is always a plus.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:47 AM   #830
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
Just a shower thought: is there any reason not to, or precedent in comics for, having both numbers meld into each other over time? Say, #101 could be number "101", with the "10" faded out in comparison to the "1", and then over time we'd get "110", "125", "150", etc. And then eventually after "199" we'd have #200, like how many of Marvel's titles were added up to reach #500 and #600 a couple of years back.

That would please both sides, I think, and would look visually cool, which is always a plus.
Hey, cool idea. I think it may be more confusing than just having a big number and a smaller number, but it could be a cool visual.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:56 AM   #831
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Hey, cool idea. I think it may be more confusing than just having a big number and a smaller number, but it could be a cool visual.
Thanks! I'm on the side that's against the renumbering, but I also understand its importance from a marketing point of view, even though it would sort of go against this series' uniquely strong sense of continuity to just start over from #1.

IDW would have to play around a bit with the visibility of the first digit or digits to make it more viable, but it could certainly work.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:42 AM   #832
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

We haven't decided what will be done after #100, but this is the approach I've been advocating. Marvel does something similar with their legacy numbering now, but the symmetry of doing it with a 101 would work really well I think.
Bobby Curnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 11:16 AM   #833
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Curnow View Post
We haven't decided what will be done after #100, but this is the approach I've been advocating. Marvel does something similar with their legacy numbering now, but the symmetry of doing it with a 101 would work really well I think.
Thanks for sharing, Bobby. I understand if you don't want to reveal too much, but would a new #1 require anything else, in your mind? Would it need to signify a new direction or have something fresh on the creative side, or is it really just down to the business of getting new readers in?
Old 12-13-2018, 11:26 AM   #834
CyberCubed
Overlord

Even issue #51 felt a bit like a clean slate (Splinter took over the Foot, Karai/Koya/Bludgeon and Bebop/Rocksteady were written out of the main ongoing for a long time and only appeared in mini's, Baxter started to become an ally, etc.)

Depending on what happens in issue #100 you might see more big characters dying too, so I guess we'll see.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:37 AM   #835
Igglet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Curnow View Post
Personally, I'd suggest going with #1. I'd say new readers would definitely feel overwhelmed when they see 100+ issues, Hell, I was overwhelmed when I started reading and there were only ~70 issues. A new #1 would feel like a good jumping point. Those're just my 2 cents, though.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:03 PM   #836
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igglet View Post
Personally, I'd suggest going with #1. I'd say new readers would definitely feel overwhelmed when they see 100+ issues, Hell, I was overwhelmed when I started reading and there were only ~70 issues. A new #1 would feel like a good jumping point. Those're just my 2 cents, though.
It's also difficult to argue with this. I'm finding myself in the thought process of "If you're going to do a new #1....do a new #1. Make it clear, big, and bold." a big "#1" can go a long way, whereas "101", while a cool trick, may not have the desired effect.

Otherwise, maybe it's a half measure, that doesn't truly please anyone? Idk, I'm just spitballin here.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:18 PM   #837
Igglet

Quote:
It's also difficult to argue with this. I'm finding myself in the thought process of "If you're going to do a new #1....do a new #1. Make it clear, big, and bold." a big "#1" can go a long way, whereas "101", while a cool trick, may not have the desired effect.

Otherwise, maybe it's a half measure, that doesn't truly please anyone? Idk, I'm just spitballin here.
Yeah, the 101 thing is clever for sure but I don't think it actually pleases anyone. I don't really get the point. The fact that the 1 is bold doesn't make the 2 digits before it any less visible.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:28 PM   #838
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, the 101 thing is clever for sure but I don't think it actually pleases anyone. I don't really get the point. The fact that the 1 is bold doesn't make the 2 digits before it any less visible.
I wouldn't say it doesn't please anyone. The bold is just a suggestion, they could literally make it one big digit after two smaller ones for #101, like so:

101 (125, 150, etc.)

It's a way to both restart and keep the numbering going. That's how #51 handled it, and that's how the rest of the run should handle it.

IMHO, of course.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:50 PM   #839
Igglet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
I wouldn't say it doesn't please anyone. The bold is just a suggestion, they could literally make it one big digit after two smaller ones for #101, like so:

101 (125, 150, etc.)

It's a way to both restart and keep the numbering going. That's how #51 handled it, and that's how the rest of the run should handle it.

IMHO, of course.
Oh, I get what you mean, and honestly I might be wrong but I do think that doing a "reset" would work better. Seeing those two digits might still give the same effect, as I mentioned before. And, while it might be written that way on the cover, people are either going to be calling it #101 or #1 anyway.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:56 PM   #840
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Oh, I get what you mean, and honestly I might be wrong but I do think that doing a "reset" would work better. Seeing those two digits might still give the same effect, as I mentioned before. And, while it might be written that way on the cover, people are either going to be calling it #101 or #1 anyway.
Well, yes, that's the general idea. We can have our cake and eat it too, and these are just two examples of how that could be implemented. I'm sure a company full of comics professionals can come up with a much better execution of the concept than I ever could. This series prides itself on continuity, and starting the numbering over completely without some clear visual acknowledgement of the previous 100 issues would go against that.

At least that's how I feel, but fortunately much better minds than mine are already working the issue one way or another.

Tags
comic discussion