The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 12-18-2017, 02:17 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

Games you used to find great but no longer do

Lots of game age poorly or not as well as we wish they did. Obviously there are games we liked when we were kids but as adults not so much anymore. I'm not even talking about mediocre licensed games we thought were fun when we were kids simply due to starring our favourite cartoon or comic book characters and thus we didn't know any better. I'm talking about games that were critically acclaimed and generally considered to be great when they came out but nowadays don't really give you that same feel anymore.

The biggest example I can think of personally is Ocarina of Time. This game used to feel so epic when i was a kid. The story, the setting.. .everything. It was also the first game I felt an emotional connection with its characters. It's still a good game and the 3DS remake is good... but it doesn't feel as magic anymore. I'd rather play A Link to the past or Majora's Mask these days as far as Zelda games go. Meanwhile, games like SMW, Pokémon Red, Street Fighter II, Mega Man 2, DKC, Sonic 2, etc. still hold up for me and I can just pick up and play them anytime without feeling bored or burnt out of them. They'll always be fun for me.

Next comes Star Fox 64: I also revered this game back in the mid-late 90s and played it countless times. It's probably the game that helped me learn English the most alongside Pokémon Red . I got the 3DS remake last year and... I didn't care much for it. Dunno what it is. The game just feels meh to me these days.

Then come Sega Saturn classics such as Daytona USA, Virtua Cop 2 Sega Rally, Virtua Fighter 2, Fighting Vipers and Fighters' Megamix; I guess. They look kinda ugly and clunky these days, but that's expected I guess. They were rather early 3D games tbh.

What about you?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 02:31 PM   #2
Powder
So tired of this place

I think for the most part my opinions have remained the same. One exception that comes to mind is Croc, for Playstation. I loved it as a kid, but going back to it earlier this year was a rude awakening. Terrible controls, terrible camera, some very wacky design choices, etc. It still had its visual charm & evoked some nostalgia, but I couldn't bear to actually play through it.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 02:37 PM   #3
CyberCubed
Overlord

Well obviously games from the N64/PS1 or early PS2 era are bound to feel dated now, but that doesn't make them less great.

Ocarina of Time is still fantastic and the 3DS remake is the definitive version now.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 02:39 PM   #4
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I think for the most part my opinions have remained the same. One exception that comes to mind is Croc, for Playstation. I loved it as a kid, but going back to it earlier this year was a rude awakening. Terrible controls, terrible camera, some very wacky design choices, etc. It still had its visual charm & evoked some nostalgia, but I couldn't bear to actually play through it.
Watching a bit of gameplay on youtube it looks like a typical mid-late 90s 3D platforming game in the vein of Banjo-Kazooie and Crash Bandicoot. Its graphics don't look good... but probably did back when it came out.

I still think Banjo-Kazooie looks and plays decently these days myself. Donkey Kong 64 not as much, but I expected it to have aged much worse considering what I have read about it. then again I didn't get very far into it when I replayed it for a bit around 2015.

It's just harder for 3D games, especially earlier ones to age as gracefully as 2D games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Well obviously games from the N64/PS1 or early PS2 era are bound to feel dated now, but that doesn't make them less great.

Ocarina of Time is still fantastic and the 3DS remake is the definitive version now.
Fantastic? Wouldn't say so. It's definitely a very good game still, but I certainly can no longer call it "the greatest game ever" like I did back in 1998-1999. Looking back, some parts of Ocarina were kinda boring and slow paced. Lord jabu Jabu and the Water Temple aren't very fun dungeons. Fortunately the 3DS version made it easier to play through the water temple.

One thing though, Ocarina is still playable due to the Z-targeting feature and being able to warp by playing certain songs on your Ocarina. being able to switch between day and night time(Sun song) and also having Epona as your mean of transportation also helps making the game feel less heavy and less slow paced. Same for the auto jumping. Imagine Ocarina not having any of these things. *shudders*
Old 12-18-2017, 02:43 PM   #5
Wesley
Mad Scientist

The one game that comes to mind is Shining Force for the gba. I liked it as teenager (I had never played the series before that), but got tired of it quickly upon revisiting it as an adult. The tactical gameplay is too slow for my tastes nowadays.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 02:49 PM   #6
Prowler
Emperor

What about the original Mortla Kombat games? Back in the day they were fun as hell for the violence and the fatalities... but it's obvious that they were very inferior games compared to Street Fighter. Once I've tried MK9(2011) I never went back to the first 3 MK games.

The original F-Zero game also seems a bit barren for a racing game considering it doesn't even have a 2 player option... What kind of racing game doesnt' have a 2-player mode? I've always found that odd about the original F-Zero game. And why are only like 7 tracks available in the Time Attack mode?
Old 12-18-2017, 03:47 PM   #7
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

I'm one of, if not the only, few out there who's never had this problem. I still have fun with plenty of "haven't aged well" games like Super Mario 64, Sonic Adventure 2, Donkey Kong 64 etc.
Old 12-18-2017, 03:54 PM   #8
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNT_Guy View Post
I'm one of, if not the only, few out there who's never had this problem. I still have fun with plenty of "haven't aged well" games like Super Mario 64, Sonic Adventure 2, Donkey Kong 64 etc.
Super Mario 64 actually aged rather well for a 1996 3D game. The only thing that bothers me about the game truly is the camera, but it already did so back in 1996 anyway, and it's not like it ruins the entire game.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:05 PM   #9
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

I attempted to play through the 'Jedi Knight' series recently, starting with Dark Forces; and while Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight is a bit funky looking, it was still playable. Jedi Knight 2:Jedi Outcast on the other hand was difficult to get through. I used to love that game; I've played it through loads of times, but before this year it had been a long time since I last played it.

Aside from the numerous hoops I had to jump through to get it running properly, it took me quite a while to get the hang of playing it again. You move quite slowly, and on the weapons seem purposely inaccurate, which is a problem since on the harder difficulty settings, the enemies are supernaturally good shots.

That in itself isn't the issue I had though. The third person Lightsaber combat that I loved so much when I was younger, kind'a sucks. It's difficult to consistently defend yourself, the animation leaves you open to attack for way too long, and aiming your attacks seems inaccurate and haphazard.

Some enemies lob thermal detonators at you constantly; often from parts of the map that you can't get to immediately, and they are maddeningly accurate with their throws. You don't even know where they are coming from sometimes - you just suddenly blow up.

On top of that, the level design is a pain in the ass a lot of the time. There is a lot of platforming, often requiring you to land on tiny ledges over bottomless, insta-kill drops, and sometimes the clipping, or collision detection screws you over. You get snagged on corners a lot, and often at the worst possible time.

The graphics still look pretty good, aside from the freak-show that is the cut-scene facial animation. Everyone looks like their eyes are going to pop out, and the lip synch looks like someone desperately trying to talk despite having a severe case of lockjaw.