The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 07-29-2017, 07:46 AM   #61
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Apparently Ian Flynn's come out and revealed he was planning on making Sally bi sexual and embark on a romance with Nicole.
Kind of. This all started on his podcast "the BumbleKast" where when replying to a fan question if Sally and Nicole were a couple, he basically just said that he wouldn't be opposed to it.

Latter after the books cancellation someone on twitter asked one again if Sally and Nicole were a couple and he tweeted "Aleah & I were amazed we got away with it being so blatant."

And I honestly don't see it. Not that I would be against that sort of thing, but even with this page from the amazing Spark of Life story, to me it just looks like they're good friends. Which would make sense because in this canon Nicole, back when she was an emotionless computer, was her only friend prior to the formation of the Freedom Fighters. To me I can't help but feel Ian just threw that out there to make the fans happy since it's unlikely we will ever get to see these characters ever again.

But Ian is one of the few writers in all of Sonic's history that not only understood the characters, a rare feat on it's own, but respect for Sonic's entire history. So who am I to say what his intentions really were.

In other news, IDW allegedly confirmed that Ian Flynn is on their "radar" but they can't confirm anything officially yet.

Last edited by TMNT_Guy; 07-29-2017 at 07:57 AM.
TMNT_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 12:37 PM   #62
sdp
-

Yeah, that sound like a clickbaity article, Ian Flynn just seemed to change his wording from "it could happen" to "oh yeah we were doing it" to pander to his base but that's about it. Not like Sega would've ever allowed it. And that "proof" is just grasping at straws. A hug doesn't mean anything, if shippers want to see something cool but come on, don't you hug people of your own sex or friends?
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 01:11 PM   #64
Shark_Blade
Emperor

I kinda expect that too, it's too messy to continue from Archie. Just start fresh.

I wonder how different it's going to be. Gonna miss the Freedom Fighters, especially Prince Elias & Princess Sally Acorn.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 03:46 PM   #66
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
It would have been shocking if they didn't reboot. There's a lot of baggage there. Not to mention I can't think of a lot of instances where a company lost a license and the new licensee immediately picked up what they were doing.
Old 07-31-2017, 04:15 PM   #67
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Quote:
I'm disappointed, but I understand why they'd do that.
I do hope there's some Archie influence, though. At least in the form of old characters making appearances.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 05:01 PM   #68
Eiko
Aussie and Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
I kinda expect that too, it's too messy to continue from Archie. Just start fresh.

I wonder how different it's going to be. Gonna miss the Freedom Fighters, especially Prince Elias & Princess Sally Acorn.
Same, Prince Elias was my fave Character. dam u Ken Penders.
Old 07-31-2017, 05:42 PM   #69
oldmanwinters
Overlord

I favor a hard reboot, but still hope we see some of the characters from the DiC cartoon era, even if only in minor supporting roles.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:20 PM   #70
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

No matter what else IDW decides to do, one thing I hope is a priority is good art, because man, the Archie Sonic series had some awful chickenscratch during most of the time everyone remembers best. That's not even getting into the stuff I've seen over the years from after I stopped reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I favor a hard reboot, but still hope we see some of the characters from the DiC cartoon era, even if only in minor supporting roles.
I wouldn't be upset at Bunny and Antoine showing up somewhere. I still remember them pretty fondly.

Last edited by dl316bh; 07-31-2017 at 07:58 PM.
dl316bh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 10:17 PM   #71
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl316bh View Post
No matter what else IDW decides to do, one thing I hope is a priority is good art, because man, the Archie Sonic series had some awful chickenscratch during most of the time everyone remembers best. That's not even getting into the stuff I've seen over the years from after I stopped reading.

I wouldn't be upset at Bunny and Antoine showing up somewhere. I still remember them pretty fondly.
From what I've seen, things started going downhill (artistically and narrative) around the Sonic Adventure arc and didn't rebound until sometime around issue #260 when Tracy Yardley came on board and Penders departed the creative team.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:08 AM   #72
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Speaking of the art, there was a tumblr a few years back that posted a bunch of the worst of the Dark Ages of Archie Sonic.

http://amomentofarchiesonic-blog.tumblr.com/

Even stuff from the early years - which I obviously haven't read in a long time - kind of throws me, because I don't remember it looking that bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
From what I've seen, things started going downhill (artistically and narrative) around the Sonic Adventure arc and didn't rebound until sometime around issue #260 when Tracy Yardley came on board and Penders departed the creative team.
I've long thought the Archie Sonic universe should have wrapped and rebooted a bit after Endgame for that reason. I know Ken Penders took over completely past that point, so that didn't help, and the games started having actual stories and characterization that didn't work with anything SatAM and Archie had done. The thing I remember best about the Adventure adaptation is how they had to struggle to reconcile what they'd already set up with what the actual franchise as a whole was doing, so you've got Not-Morgan Freeman leading them to a secret "overlander" city somewhere - I think I remember it being underground or in a mountain - with environmental controls and a painted sky.

I dropped off between Adventure and Adventure 2, so I missed the worst of it.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:20 PM   #73
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

Quote:
What's this about Penders shutting down a SATAM movie? Was it considered after the DVDs came out for it?
Ben Hurst tried at one time to collaborate w/ Penders for what could have been, a SatAM movie. It backfired.

It took me a while to find the material (and it's source), but ..here it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Hurst
I did consult with DIC to see if there was a way to generate some enthusiasm for a feature film to be the "Third Season" of SatAm. I was given the name of a SEGA executive and had a most pleasant conversation. She had to go to a meeting, but said she would like to talk to me more about the idea.

The next day, I got a call from Ken Penders, who had been alerted by his contact in their office that I was interested in getting a Sonic movie going. I generously offered to include him in the effort and told him my strategy. Get SEGA to become invested in the idea by hiring us to interview their creative game designers, execs, etc and see if we could develop a story line that would fulfill the third season - and simultaneously give them creative ideas to develop new games. A win-win, situation.

Then, I called SEGA back, but I was shocked when the exec "lit" into me, telling me, "People pay US to develop Sonic product, we don't pay them!" Then she hung up on me. Obviously, Penders had related my strategy to them in a less-than-flattering way. Thanks for the knife, Ken.

So, I gave up. Later, I was informed by friendly fans that Penders had written in his message board or some such place that "Ben Hurst doesn't know how movies are made in Hollywood." (Hey Ken, read "Adventures in Screenwriting" by William Goldman and get some humility) Then he dropped hints that HE would be the writer for a big Sonic Feature Film. That was three years ago.
http://www.saturdaymorningsonic.com/features/ben_hurst/

~ John Adams

Last edited by DarkFell; 08-12-2017 at 11:36 PM.
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:13 AM   #74
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Thanks. Sounds like he was a victim of Chinese whispers
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote