The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Rise of the TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 08-08-2020, 04:12 PM   #1
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

Is Rise Donatello the TMNT counterpart of Slingshot of the Transformers??

Yeah, the lockdown gives me too much time on my hands, I know...

Now I was watching a couple of vintage episode of the Transformers and I noticed that whenever the Aerialbots were involved we got to see somebody who is very similar to Rise-Donnie.

Slingshot is very loud, obnoxious and very Ego driven. As far as he's concerned: the world revolves around him and let nobody tell you otherwise.

But much like the Rise-Donnie there's a reason behind all his bravado and it starts with what kind of plane he transforms into.

This is the Hawker Siddeley Harrier, seen here in a pretty white livery, much as Slingshot.

So Slingshot is a Harrier, what's the deal?
Well, let's have the other Aerialbots come in.

From left to right: Slingshot, Skydive, Silverbolt, Fireflight and Air raid and of course, their combined form Superion. Perhaps you can already see it, Slingshot is by far the wimpiest out of all of them.

And if you compare Slingshot's real life vehicular mode to those of the other Aerialbots, it's pretty much the same deal. The Harrier can't fly supersonic and is vulnerable to ground fire.

A Royal Air Force Harrier after it was shot from the sky during the Falklands war.

But most of all, the Harrier is one of the most difficult to fly of all jet fighters ever made only 10% of all pilots who trained to fly it, actually flew it.

So to summarize:
- Slingshot is the wimpiest of all Aerialbots.
- Is the only one not capable of flying supersonic
- Is difficult to fly
- Is vulnerable to ground fire.

So is his bragging nature and brawn his way to camouflage his flaws and the insecurities that come along with them?

Partly, because he DOES have a party trick which none of the other Aerialbots can match.

The Harrier can take off vertically and even fly backwards as this footage shows.

So how similar is Slingshot to Rise-Donnie?
- The wimpiest of the team but still very much capable to give a knock out blow
- Hides his insecurities by acting all high and mighty.
- HATES it when he's belittled, which happens a bit too often in both cases.
- Had a party trick that none of the others in the team can match.

Oh and Slingshot happened to be voiced by Rob Paulsen.

Last edited by The Great Saiyaman; 08-08-2020 at 04:26 PM.
The Great Saiyaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 05:29 PM   #2
neatoman
Emperor

The Transformers characters...

... Did you know the first episode of G1 has 19 Autobots and 10 named Decepticons? Let me rephrase that, the first episode decides to introduce almost 30 characters it wants you to remember. Not 30 over the series, season 1 or even the intial multi-parter. The first episode. Beyond that, the show has a tendency to either introduce clusters of 5-10 new characters in an episode, or focus on characters in groups of 10-15.

So please forgive if I say Slingshot, a character that only exists for the purpose of combining with 4 other characters to make one big marketable toy, is too forgettable to remember in any fashion.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 05:31 PM   #3
Leo656
The Franchise

Really? Wow, and they say other 80s cartoons were bad about being blatant toy commercials. That's about the worst thing I ever even heard of!

I never really had a problem with Transformers, I just didn't really pay attention to it. I knew if I watched it, I'd want the toys, and the toys were expensive, so I didn't bother. I've seen a few episodes. I like the concept of it I just totally never got into it.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 12:26 AM   #4
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Really? Wow, and they say other 80s cartoons were bad about being blatant toy commercials. That's about the worst thing I ever even heard of!

I never really had a problem with Transformers, I just didn't really pay attention to it. I knew if I watched it, I'd want the toys, and the toys were expensive, so I didn't bother. I've seen a few episodes. I like the concept of it I just totally never got into it.
I've paid very scarce attention to Transformers in the last decade, I was very passionate about G1 and by extension Beast Wars, thought Beast Machines was under-appreciated, tolerated Armada a bit (mostly for the Alexis/Starscream 'shipping), but got more out of the comics at the time.

I recommend tracking down the awful english Headmasters dub for a good time.

i drifted off until Transformers Animated, which was great despite the off-putting try-hard sugary anime style. Prime came on and it wasn't my cup really (though it is one of the better Bay era shows), I've been meaning to get back into the franchise with all the crazy crossover s*it they're up to like with My Little Pony and Back to the Future
ZariusTwo is online now   Reply With Quote