The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Rise of the TMNT Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Did you like black April?
I liked it or was fine with April being black 38 52.05%
No, I disliked it and she didn't feel like April to me 35 47.95%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-12-2020, 09:38 AM   #1
CyberCubed
Overlord

Did black April work or not work in your opinion?

This show made April black for the first time. Do you feel black April worked or didn't work now that the show is over?

I've seen many people say, "This isn't April" or "April in name-only" which I can see.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:56 AM   #2
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

I liked how sassy and "take-no-s#!t-from-anybody" this April was.

It's also why I did a couple of "Rise" comics with her.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:27 AM   #3
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

April in name only felt like shameless pandering to a certain demographic of people
Old 08-12-2020, 10:30 AM   #4
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Black April, white April, don't care. I didn't ignore Rise because of April, I ignored Rise because of the Turtles.

Run a black April by me in a different, better series and I'll let you know.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:35 AM   #5
AquaParade
Banned

Sure, why not?
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 11:06 AM   #6
sdp
-

Red head adult white April who is a scientist, not a hyper active ninja. If she must be a teenager then give her real teenage things to do, no reporter either.
She should wear yellow in a subtle way if possible, purple crop tops allowed.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 11:16 AM   #7
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Saiyaman View Post
I liked how sassy and "take-no-s#!t-from-anybody" this April was
That's part of the problem for me, whenever they make a black character it's always the same, "take no sh!t and speak my mind" personality because if they made her act any way else it would be perceived as racist.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 11:21 AM   #8
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Red head adult white April who is a scientist, not a hyper active ninja. If she must be a teenager then give her real teenage things to do, no reporter either.
She should wear yellow in a subtle way if possible, purple crop tops allowed.
Just for fun...

Let's see...

- Auburn hair, I guess that counts...
- Wearing Yellow, no doubt about the fact that she DOES.
- Real teenage things, she's seldom seen without her phone, works odd jobs, interacts with her classmates, has a BFF in Sunita.
- Having mentioned Sunita, April also made her way into a Television studio and actually did a live TV show and a weather report while she was at it.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:35 PM   #9
Torterra
Foot Soldier

I was okay with black April, her personality was interesting compare to her predecessors and if Rise wasn't going to introduce Casey Jones at all in the series. I would have been fine with this April being the "Diet Casey Jones" of it.
Torterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 12:37 PM   #10
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Black April, white April, don't care. I didn't ignore Rise because of April, I ignored Rise because of the Turtles.

Run a black April by me in a different, better series and I'll let you know.
Exactly. The question as presented in this thread is loaded, short sighted and unnecessarily provocative in it's trapping options.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 12:50 PM   #11
neatoman
Emperor

Did black April work or not work? I don't really care, and I don't think that is a question worth asking to be honest. Now it might be a legitimate criticism that she's annoying because she's way too hyper and April should be more calm, that refers to what she's like and actually gives me something I can debate. In fact, there's probably plenty of things we could talk about, like "Are you confused about how she met the turtles?" or "Was her constantly getting fired a funny gag?". There are definitely topics of discussion that can revolve around her.

Asking "What did you think of her being black?" is a really strange question. It's ultimately just an artistic choice and one that would (in theory) not impact plot or character interaction, at least not for something like this. Unless your answer is indifference, any answer given is going to imply some bias, so you really don't want to leave yourself open to misunderstanding when it comes to a subject like this. Please, come up with something better to ask next time.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 01:45 PM   #12
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Indifferent. She's okay, didn't hate her or anything, but could do without the April-centric episodes... it wasn't her show. There really wasn't much that said "April" to me, to be honest, though nor does the last one a whole lot either beyond the superficial part of being a white redhead. Both got too involved and I hope we next go back to an older April. I want to see that "big sister" kind of thing back.

As others said, she could be a bit annoying... but the whole show was pretty much done in the same tone, not just her.

I'm not one of those people who gets all mad and starts screaming against "SJW" or anything, but I still think changing who characters are like this is a little lazy and more-so a loss of a chance to expand the franchise. It would be nice to see the Turtles gain new friends, and characters who are minorities and/or teens would be great candidates, but making them April just kind of ends their return when more than likely she is probably going to go back to being a grown white woman for most future versions. Same for their just barely attempt effort on "female Casey."

I wouldn't mind seeing her again, or another character inspired by her...but maybe calm down some and back off a little? Maybe the Turtles need a shyer, more subdued friend for once, who is there to watch their backs but not physically get involved with the fights.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 02:10 PM   #13
Powder
So tired of this place

This April did not work for me whatsoever, but not because they made her black. However, the way they handled that did give pause.

I would imagine I probably have no place to say so, pardon any unintended ignorance, but this April felt like a very over the top stereotype of what white people who know no better peripherally think black women are like. I've had this conversation with a few black women I'm acquainted with & they said the same, although obviously that's not representative of everyone's opinion. I dunno. I know she was voiced by a woman of color but April's portrayal here was a little sketchy to me.

Beyond that, it was her bad attitude & overpowered fighting capability that ruined the character for me. April should never be so involved in combat, let alone constantly saving the day, or besting & even bullying the turtles themselves. I realize all characters were played up to extremes for laughs, but while most were altered a bit to feel fresh & new, everyone short of April retained enough of their original qualities to meet my personal satisfaction. If she had gone by another name, I'd likely have been a lot less critical.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 02:12 PM   #14
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
That's part of the problem for me, whenever they make a black character it's always the same, "take no sh!t and speak my mind" personality because if they made her act any way else it would be perceived as racist.
Haven't all the Aprils been portrayed in this way to some extent, though? OT April was like that. 2012 April was like that. Not sure about 2003 April....
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 03:10 PM   #15
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
Haven't all the Aprils been portrayed in this way to some extent, though? OT April was like that. 2012 April was like that. Not sure about 2003 April....
2K3 April was a take no **** character too. She didn't let being a girl stop her, and she did learn some martial arts from the turtles and splinter to help them as well. While she did leave the Ninja Business to the Turtles's themselves she would put her life at risk to protect them because they matter that much to her.
Old 08-12-2020, 04:41 PM   #16
sdp
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Saiyaman View Post
Just for fun...

- Auburn hair, I guess that counts...
- Wearing Yellow, no doubt about the fact that she DOES.
- Real teenage things, she's seldom seen without her phone, works odd jobs, interacts with her classmates, has a BFF in Sunita.
- Having mentioned Sunita, April also made her way into a Television studio and actually did a live TV show and a weather report while she was at it.
Her hair is fine, I'm just not a fan of changing a characters race without a real reason unless it actually works and sometimes it does but it's rare and definitely not right now. I haven't watched enough of Rise but what I watched did not impress me, I might change my mind when I watch the show. Rise April did not act like a teenager, and if we aren't going to have a teenage April act like a teenager I prefer an adult one, by teenager I mean some teen drama like say X-Men Evolution had. And no, I don't want her jumping around fighting bad guys with the turtles. She can eventually train and become good at martial arts but never become say Karai's equal which sadly is what we seem to get when April becomes more involved. April can be a reporter for a bit, that's fine, cool nod but she's a scientist first and foremost.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:42 PM   #17
Leofan26
Mad Scientist

My favorite April to this day seems to be the 2003 version, she wasn't weak but not too powerful like the 2012 or Rise version. I just feel this version of April was too perfect, she lacked flaws.
Leofan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 04:17 PM   #18
Hans Flying Turtlenecker
Thug

The fact that she's black doesn't bother me at all. It's her personality I can't stand. That whole extreme sassy and hyperactive personality is just so annoying to me.
I much prefer April from 2003 and 1990.
Hans Flying Turtlenecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:48 PM   #19
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Flying Turtlenecker View Post
and hyperactive personality is just so annoying to me.
That does remind me.... I do not and will not miss that last ad they were running for the past months with the clip of her getting hyper on Raph about not "making a scene." Didn't mind her when she's calm, but that stuff gets annoying... as is that jumpy animation.

And for the love of god, stop using your own name as a battle cry. (Why did she even need one and then make it as lazy as possible.) That and some of the other repeated sound bites from the Turtles needed to stop.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 09:37 PM   #20
Wes
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
And for the love of god, stop using your own name as a battle cry.
TBH, I'm inclined read that as a dig at audiences who strongly objected to this version of the character. Like "just in case you forgot, I am who I am!"

Anyway, I enjoyed it. I mean, I didn't always like this particular version of April in terms of personality/storylines/etc, but I had no issues with the character's skin color. Every incarnation of April is pretty different, and there's no reason April can't be black -- her whiteness is no more essential than her being a TV news reporter, and folks have been fine with plenty of versions (including the original) who weren't that. She's female and she's the Turtles' ally... and even then there's no reason April couldn't be a villain in a future series (though I wouldn't at all be surprised when she did a heel-face turn).

Moreover: there were moments during the finale that I think worked *especially* well because of April's skin color. Most POC who inhabit majority white spaces know all too well the feeling of not belonging, so (even though the Rise context is majority-mutant/Asian) I really appreciated Karai's exchange with April. That Mikey had drawn her into his Gram-Gram family portrait was an especially nice touch. <3

* Scary-Crayon * Wesoteric * Chew your gum properly, ok?

Aaand... Technodrome buy/sell/trade thread here!
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
april o'neil