The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 01-17-2013, 08:30 PM   #1
CyberCubed
Overlord

OT ep: Donatello's Duplicate

This is one of my favorite Donatello-centered episodes of the series in Season 5. Donatello makes a duplicate of himself that has a huge ego problem and turns on the real Don after he tells him to do his chores. He then locks Don up in a closet and beats up the other Turtles.

This is also a villain team-up episode between The Rat King and Pinky Mcfingers. I liked how one of the cloned rats speaked with Donatello's voice. Then as the episode progresses Pinky Mcfingers doublecrosses Rat King and the cloned Donatello goes with him to make rat clones to take over the city.

I loved how Barry Gordon spoke with a higher pitched voice for the clone and gave him a huge ego/attitude problem.

My favorite line is in this episode where clone!Don calls Raphael "beneath him" for not knowing how to fix the TV. Michaelangelo says, "Chill out, bud, Raph's brain is as good as mine."

And clone!Don says, "Well compared to a mind as empty as yours, Raphael is practically a rocket scientist."

Mike, "Ouch."

Even in the OT they sometimes treated Mikey as the dumbest one in the group.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:21 AM   #2
Icebot
Foot Elite

I liked this episode. My favorite part is when duplicate Donatello shouted "I'm melting, I'm melting!!!" like the wicked witch of the west on the Wizard of Oz.

Pinky McFingers seems to have a different voice in this episode.
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:34 AM   #3
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebot View Post
I liked this episode. My favorite part is when duplicate Donatello shouted "I'm melting, I'm melting!!!" like the wicked witch of the west on the Wizard of Oz.

Pinky McFingers seems to have a different voice in this episode.
Really? He sounded the same to me.

I think the writers realized that all the gangsters had too similar voices, I think both Big Louie and Don Tortrelli were voiced by the same guy and sounded similar. Maybe Pinky McFingers too.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:02 AM   #4
cammy85
Stone Warrior

Pinky McFingers spoke with a stereotypical "nya! Nya!" gangster accent in Raphael Knocks 'Em Dead but spoke in his gruff sounding voice for this and the rest of his appearances.

The clone idea was cool and the Rat King was in it too, knowing them by name despite not encountering them as much as Shredder and finally helping the Turtles
cammy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:19 AM   #5
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammy85 View Post
The clone idea was cool and the Rat King was in it too, knowing them by name despite not encountering them as much as Shredder and finally helping the Turtles
Rat King was just ticked at the mob boss for betraying their alliance so he USED the turtles. He did help them as a result but he had the turtle fight his fight for him. HE could have ambushed them, but was more interested in the situation and getting revenge on the one who betrayed him without lifting a finger(pun unintended).
Old 01-18-2013, 04:03 PM   #6
DonatelloNinja82
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
This is one of my favorite Donatello-centered episodes of the series in Season 5. Donatello makes a duplicate of himself that has a huge ego problem and turns on the real Don after he tells him to do his chores. He then locks Don up in a closet and beats up the other Turtles.

This is also a villain team-up episode between The Rat King and Pinky Mcfingers. I liked how one of the cloned rats speaked with Donatello's voice. Then as the episode progresses Pinky Mcfingers doublecrosses Rat King and the cloned Donatello goes with him to make rat clones to take over the city.

I loved how Barry Gordon spoke with a higher pitched voice for the clone and gave him a huge ego/attitude problem.

My favorite line is in this episode where clone!Don calls Raphael "beneath him" for not knowing how to fix the TV. Michaelangelo says, "Chill out, bud, Raph's brain is as good as mine."

And clone!Don says, "Well compared to a mind as empty as yours, Raphael is practically a rocket scientist."

Mike, "Ouch."

Even in the OT they sometimes treated Mikey as the dumbest one in the group.
First thought that occured to me when I saw the title to this thread was posting that same exact line. That's one of my favorite exchanges in the whole show. This is one of my favorite eps, too. I always wondered what had happened to that rat which got some of Don's brains when Don's hand got in the way of the cloning beam. Did it wear off?

DonatelloNinja82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:08 PM   #7
CyberCubed
Overlord

All the cloned rats were shown disappearing at the end of the episode so the one that could speak probably disappeared too.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:36 AM   #8
DonatelloNinja82
Mad Scientist

Quote:
All the cloned rats were shown disappearing at the end of the episode so the one that could speak probably disappeared too.
That's right! That is probably what happened to it.

DonatelloNinja82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 01:38 PM   #9
Lisardo
Stone Warrior

Quote:

I had noticed Donatello had a bit of an ego problem anyway, esp. in the later seasons. This episode only worsened it with the clone. Taught the real Donatello a bit of humility. Would have been cool if we got to see more of the other turtles' clones (not just a couple mins, as in the episode).

Lisardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:07 PM   #10
Jephael
That whack job behind you

You know what's really ironic about that episode is it ends with Raphael impersonating Don's clone. I wonder if Rob Paulsen remembers that. Not likely, but I would love it if somebody brought it up to him at some point.

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 01:32 PM   #11
Lisardo
Stone Warrior

I'd havta rewatch it to see that (didn't notice).

Lisardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 01:30 AM   #12
Prowler
Emperor

This is a pretty underrated episode.

The FW series usually struggled at delivering a good episode when the villain was a mad scientist or a mobster, but this one was an exception to the rule.

Donatello's "evil clone" was pretty funny. In fact, it seemed like he was like Donatello without a filter. FW Donatello could be quite temperamental at times. It's a shame that Donatello lost his edge in the 2k3 series. I really liked the sassy side to him in the FW series.

And CyberCubed, that exchange is also one of my favourite ones of the FW series.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:15 AM   #13
TMNTInsighter
Banned

This is actually one of my top 10 (or BotR at least) episodes from the original series. Don was my favorite back in those days and Barry Gordon I believe had a large hand in that. Don's clone was just so much fun to watch and Barry, as usual proved up to the task! The rest of the team was also quite comical in both their overtaxing him, proving unable to do things themselves, and then knocking him for not doing what they asked later. I'll admit that the other villains themselves--or just their plan(s) in particular--weren't very interesting but they themselves were still able to throw in a laugh or possibly two. The resolution was also a cheat but in the end, to me at least, none of it mattered. This was a good comedy episode that was able to step over its plot holes (sort of like the physics associated with the Road Runner) because of how light it was and how fast it moved. But yeah, D's clone DEFINITELY carried this episode!
TMNTInsighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 02:58 PM   #14
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post

Donatello's "evil clone" was pretty funny. In fact, it seemed like he was like Donatello without a filter. FW Donatello could be quite temperamental at times. It's a shame that Donatello lost his edge in the 2k3 series. I really liked the sassy side to him in the FW series.
That's why I always liked FW Donatello.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:30 PM   #15
TurtleGuy
Foot Soldier

I always thought it was pretty messed up how Donatello just wiped out the clones without a second thought considering that they were sentient.
TurtleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 01:04 PM   #16
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Good episode. I liked Barry Gordon and briefly Rob Paulsen, Cam Clarke and Townshend Coleman acting evil in this episode. Donatello's clone's attitude towards Leo, Raph and Mikey made me wonder if Donatello himself had similar opinions about them but not as harsh.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
episode discussion, fred wolf series