The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 04-12-2005, 12:21 AM   #1041
Kid Icarus
Foot Elite

Gamecube got a Bloody Roar game. First 'normal' 3-D fighter I enjoyed since the first Virtua Figher on Saturn.

I didn't think the series went back too far...

The Konami/Hudson thing is bad news... Konami has a serious distaste for Nintendo. I've got no idea why, but Kojima's been quoted as saying Nintendos games arn't real games, they're just ment to be childs play things. This is after Nintendo funds the development of Twin Snakes, loans out their most talented 2nd party team to them, and pulls lord knows what other deals... it's sickening.

Infact, I even considered getting rid of my copy of Twin Snakes to the used market, but I'm keeping it. Silicon Knights is my second favorite developer. Eternal Darkness was just too amazing for them not to be, and Too Human should be a great game where ever it shows up.
Kid Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 01:14 AM   #1042
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

Well, Mario Party was stagnating anyway. Sales were dropping and creativity had hit the floor. If the series dies there, then whatever. I don't dislike Konami as much as I dislike Kojima. He's an ass and a prick. He's one of those guys who thinks video games should be interactive movies where you watch 2 hours of video before you actually get to do something. That's my opinion. If that's his wish, then he's good at it, but I read another quote about how much he dislikes the PSP hardware. He said he only did Metal Gear Acid because he was asked to, and would never put a normal Metal Gear on PSP, yet then he goes to trash DS and talk about how it's meant for kids and he'd never develop for it, blah blah blah.

Either way, he's overrated and sucks. Twin Snakes was a good game only because of Silicon Knights' talent even if I still had to sit through hours of dialog. Kojima is an ass.

Honestly, the Hudson thing isn't as big a deal to me. Outside Mario Party they didn't do that much (except Bomberman, but that's going to DS anyway). Mario Party needed an overhaul at 4, but it didn't get it and needed to be killed anyway. The AI is always going to be cheap, the board game will always be slow, and the whole system is just flawed. People only played it for the minigames and when the creativity on those fell out, the game fell out. 1 and 2 were absoultely teriffic, but 3 was so-so, and it just went down from there. Hudson probobly asked Nintendo for the bail out, but were turned down because they wern't worth it by then anymore. Mario needs some new platformers to get his image up. Camalot fixed up Tennis and Gold to be fun, but they're not perfect. Still, at least they saw what was wrong and completely revamped the sequels. Mario Kart is it's own perfection, but that's mostly because it's an inhouse series derived from Shiggy. Not counting Mario Kart, the other sports games should be given a rest for new franchises. They really gotta quit milking Mario so hard. Make new platformers (New SMB and Mario 128 ), online Mario Kart (oh wait, we're getting that ) and drop the others in favor of new franchises. Kart is it's own series and will hopefully go on forever, but the others were just meant to milk Mario. They're fun, but easily expendable.

The Party series kinda has started to dreg down Mario's name with it's overly scarinne and sweet image and random gameplay so I say it's time to let go of Hudson. They did good for wwhile, but now the magic's gone. Have fun with Kojima. Konami isn't on my bad list yet. We're still getting Castlevania DS and Mario DDR so that's good. They're other stuff is "meh", but it's no where near the worst. The fact that they kept Gradius alive makes me happy even if it is on PS2.

Maybe Nintendo outta give Mario Party to HAL and see what they can do with it. Just scrap the whole Hudson engine and start over is all the advice I could give.

Also, Nintendo needs to start up even more development houses like the Tokyo one and Retro. That way they can have the resources that if the third parties shun them, then Nintendo can just say "fu*k 'em" and have enough games to support themselves in the meantime. I think they're working on that anyway, so I'll shut up and go to bed. I've edited this post way too many times anyway
Old 04-12-2005, 02:07 AM   #1043
Kid Icarus
Foot Elite

That's always a possibility, and I see them making Pennant Chase as a sign of expansion to come.

What I'd like to see early on with the Revolution is a dawn of Nintendo's own sports line, an exclusive RPG along the lines of Tales of Symphonia, a darker title like Eternal Darkness or RE4, a new Metroid, and a launch with a proper Mario title, with information about the Revolution Zelda within weeks of the launch.

I'd also like to see something online enabled included with the system, be it a console version of Animal Crossing Online or Mario Kart Revolution. What ever it is needs to make people aware that Revolution's online, and that it's not going to be a halfassed onine like with Gamecube.

Basicly, we need NES/SNES "kill 'em all" Nintendo back. If Sony or Microsoft release an amazing game, we need one that tops it. Sony missed out on the huge SNES/Genesis war... and I don't think they'd know what to do in one. Microsoft's never really been challanged in that kind of way either. Nintendo has, and they won (psh, don't try to tell me Sega won... who's still a fully functioning company again... right...).

I don't want to hear about "Amazing Game" and not having something that matches it, or tops it, on Revolution. It really IS all about the games.

That concludes a long awaited "Gwgtrunks and his latenight/earlymorning ramblings". I hope you enjoyed, or even followed, that... hell, I just hope someone actually takes the time to read everything XD.

Join me next week when we get an updated "Drunken Gwgtrunks and his latenight/earlymorning ramblings". Same Trunks Time, same Trunks Channel.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:59 AM   #1044
Mecha Cow
Gorgeous and modest too

Quote:
I don't dislike Konami as much as I dislike Kojima. He's an ass and a prick.
What did he do/say? This is the first time I've heard anything like that. o_O

And I can't say I care about Hudson too much. Bomberman is great, but that'll always be around. And as for their other games...err...well...They did Mario Party...and...umm....
Old 04-12-2005, 05:45 AM   #1045
Peanut
Second Gear

Adventure Island! That game used to piss me off.

I also think Kojima is an ass, and MGS is one of the most overrated "video games" of all time. It's a god damn interactive movie.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 06:30 AM   #1046
Super Moderator

Don't even mention Adventure Island. That name alone is frustrating...
愛 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 07:16 AM   #1047
Spitfire
Writer • Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdMarioBro
Huh? I don't get it.
BloodyRoar was an old fighter that came out on PS1 way back in 90's almost near the PS1's release. It was pretty cool for it's time. There were 3 games on PS1 that I know of. Then the next gen came around and they made more games. Primal Fury for GC *Which I regretfully bought* was horrible. They made 1 or two for PS2 as well that I didnt even bother with....
And I dont think Konmai will be to much of a problem for Nintendo. They did release Twin Snakes on GC excusivly which angered the legions of Sony Fanbots pretty bad
Old 04-12-2005, 07:33 AM   #1048
Barkworm
Super Moderator

I've seen Kojima in a couple of video interviews and I think he's an awesome guy. Of course the MGS games are interactive movies. So what? That's pretty much what they are intended to be. And Kojima wasn't involved in Metal Gear Acid, he didn't even see the game in motion before last year's E3.
Barkworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 07:40 AM   #1049
Super Moderator

Oh man, Metal Gear Solid. That series is amazing beyond all levels of comprehension. I think Kojima is a genius. The plot, the cinematography, the gameplay, all of it is beautifully well done. It's true that it is almost an interactive movie, but I like games like that. Xenosaga is one of them, too.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:09 AM   #1050
Barkworm
Super Moderator

I changed my stuff to show my solidarity with you!
Old 04-12-2005, 08:28 AM   #1051
Super Moderator

That is quite the badass.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:09 AM   #1052
Peanut
Second Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkworm
Of course the MGS games are interactive movies. So what?
Nothing really. I guess I just prefer to play a game rather than watch an hour of dull cut scenes. Just a personal prefrence.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:12 AM   #1053
Super Moderator

Your personal preference means nothing! Mwahahahaha!
Old 04-12-2005, 09:25 AM   #1054
Barkworm
Super Moderator

Yeah, your taste sucks! Just like you!
Old 04-12-2005, 09:55 AM   #1055
Peanut
Second Gear

Well that's true. I can always count on my friends to set me straight!
Old 04-12-2005, 11:46 AM   #1056
Kid Icarus
Foot Elite

MGS is a great game, yes... but I have this problem with developers that are utter pricks to their fans. I also have a problem with people marketing games like MGS like games, when they really play more like interactive movies. If you wanna make a movie... make a movie, not a game. Just my preferance though. Thankfuly I have the intelegence to find out what games are like this before I put money down on them.

You want a great blend of movie/game? Go pick up Eternal Darkness. Now. It's only 10 bucks used at Gamestops, and it's easily one of the top 10 games this generation. Specially you, Spitfire... you'd go ape **** with that game.

To Konami/Kojima: Your ass woulden't have a market to be in right now if it wasn't for that company that makes "childs play things".
Old 04-12-2005, 11:59 AM   #1057
Barkworm
Super Moderator

I still don't see how Kojima is a prick.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:07 PM   #1058
Kid Icarus
Foot Elite

N-Sider had an interview with him on game design, and in olmost every answer he found a way to worm an insult to Nintendo in.

When I think about it, though, I don't care. Nintendo has, makes, and will make, more money then Konami could ever hope to. That, and maybe Mr. Kojima's just jelous of Miyamoto's talent for game design? Kojima's made Metal Gear Solid, Miyamoto's had his input all over everything Nintendo's released ever.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:32 PM   #1059
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

Hey, can you put a link up to that interview? I need fodder to bitch about him with in future editorials ....that and so everyone can see the proof of our dislike for him.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:39 PM   #1060
Super Moderator

Well, that wasn't very nice of him...oh well. He makes MGS games.