TMNT #44 Preview & Discussion

Preview here.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 08:20 AM   #2
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

YES!!!

Oh man... Donny's gonna get WRECKED.

And I've been waiting ever since Volume 5 "Krang War" to see Raphael take on Krang. "This gun' be good."
Old 03-13-2015, 09:18 AM   #3
nimajneb
Stone Warrior

The Splash on the previously/variant cover page.
I love to see Bebop and Rocksteady take centre stage!

I'm also a massive Donnie fan so i'm hoping he gets the upper hand!

MICHELANGELO
I hear his bike turns into a plane, or like a jet pack. Hey Don, you're so smart, why don't we have jet packs?
DONATELLO
Yeah, that's good, Mikey. I don't even trust you with a driver's license.
[/
nimajneb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:46 AM   #4
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I was honestly expecting Stockman to pitch in and be forced to help the Turtles and Honeycutt take down Krang, but this is just as believable and enjoyable for me. Man, is Stockman ever a slimy SOB!
Old 03-13-2015, 10:37 AM   #5
Shedder
Hench Mutant

Looks like Don is in trouble. Metalhead doesnt seem like a formidable foe for the likes of R+B. Think Alopex & Nobody come and at least bail Don out after he takes a beating within an inch of his life?
This has been a great 4 parter and definitely looking forward to the final chapter in this arc. The run to 50 is looking to be amazing
Shedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:42 AM   #6
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Honestly, the invincibility of Bebop and Rocksteady is beginning to wear a little thin and stretch credulity for me.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE seeing them wreck havoc, but it seems to me that Metalhead shouldn't be so easy for them to dispatch. He has freaking lasers. Being bulletproof and surviving electrocution, surviving lasers, the collapse of multi-story buildings...

If the TMNT were to use lethal force, how exactly do they go about it? Not to get too graphic, but stab them in the eye? Or the mouth, like Karai was going to stab Rocksteady back in the micro?

These guys are like Bay Turtles. Which isn't a bad thing (for B&R, it kinda makes sense), but is starting to become (for me) just a tad unbelievable...
Old 03-13-2015, 11:23 AM   #7
Plasticplayhouse
the gray ghost

ooh, this looks like it's going to be a great action issue!
Old 03-13-2015, 11:40 AM   #8
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Honestly, the invincibility of Bebop and Rocksteady is beginning to wear a little thin and stretch credulity for me.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE seeing them wreck havoc, but it seems to me that Metalhead shouldn't be so easy for them to dispatch. He has freaking lasers. Being bulletproof and surviving electrocution, surviving lasers, the collapse of multi-story buildings...

If the TMNT were to use lethal force, how exactly do they go about it? Not to get too graphic, but stab them in the eye? Or the mouth, like Karai was going to stab Rocksteady back in the micro?

These guys are like Bay Turtles. Which isn't a bad thing (for B&R, it kinda makes sense), but is starting to become (for me) just a tad unbelievable...
Already? They've really only been in a few real fights. I'll agree that nigh-invincible villains can get really boring if used too many times but I don't think we're at that point yet.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 11:56 AM   #9
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Already? They've really only been in a few real fights. I'll agree that nigh-invincible villains can get really boring if used too many times but I don't think we're at that point yet.
It's not the number of fights, it's just the escalation of what they're able to shrug off. I will say, though, they are certified WMDs. Let's look at their track record:

#1. B&R versus the Ghost Boys (Villains micro-issue #8.)
#2. B&R versus the Foot Clan (Villains micro-issue #8.)
#3. B&R versus the TMNT (City Fall)
#4. B&R versus the Mutanimals, TMNT, and Nobody and Alopex (New Mutant Order)
#5. B&R versus Donatello and Metalhead

B&R have not lost a fight yet. Their opponents are either slaughtered or manage to escape. And based on some spoilers most of us have seen, I think it's safe to say they're not about to suffer their first defeat...

Shredder should have taken Bebop & Rocksteady with him to Burnow Island; Krang would be squished bubble gum on the bottom of a mutant's boot in under ten seconds.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:10 PM   #10
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Man, I love seeing Mikey and Raph interact... that's a relationship that I can't get enough of when it's well done.

Old 03-13-2015, 12:12 PM   #11
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

Man this looks great. I'm really impressed with Cory Smith - such a great fit for this book. And the writing is solid - just a few pages here, but everyone's personalities and relationships come through so well.

I kind of wish the credits page didn't spoil the the B&R/Metalhead fight, though. It's a striking image, and it's probably not a "major" development or anything, but still.

I'm hoping Donnie will manage to outsmart them and come out ahead here. He could use a win like that. But I also know not to predict anything.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:12 PM   #12
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
It's not the number of fights, it's just the escalation of what they're able to shrug off. I will say, though, they are certified WMDs. Let's look at their track record:

#1. B&R versus the Ghost Boys (Villains micro-issue #8.)
#2. B&R versus the Foot Clan (Villains micro-issue #8.)
#3. B&R versus the TMNT (City Fall)
#4. B&R versus the Mutanimals, TMNT, and Nobody and Alopex (New Mutant Order)
#5. B&R versus Donatello and Metalhead

B&R have not lost a fight yet. Their opponents are either slaughtered or manage to escape. And based on some spoilers most of us have seen, I think it's safe to say they're not about to suffer their first defeat...

Shredder should have taken Bebop & Rocksteady with him to Burnow Island; Krang would be squished bubble gum on the bottom of a mutant's boot in under ten seconds.
Well in Bebop and Rocksteady's defense (it feels so wrong to defend Bebop and Rocksteady, at least I'm OK with this version of them at least), the fight against the Ghost Boys was out of line for them and I would still technically call the fights in City Fall and againts the Mutanimals losses, as they still failed in the end.
Hahahaha!
Old 03-13-2015, 12:22 PM   #13
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

We know Don will be injured by Bebop and Rocksteady and that Baxter will gain psychic powers. Metalhead will need repairs. Shredder supposedly taken off the map yet we all know will not happen but the turtles will think he and Krang are dealt with. Any ideas on that one? Where are the Neutrinos in all of this,Tom?
Old 03-13-2015, 12:26 PM   #14
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
Man this looks great. I'm really impressed with Cory Smith - such a great fit for this book. And the writing is solid - just a few pages here, but everyone's personalities and relationships come through so well.
Cory is definitely my favorite since Dan Duncan. (That was the original guy on #1-12, right?) He's got the simplicity (and maturity) of the debut issues, but also the individuality of Mateus' designs. And I'll mention it again: I HATE the current designs mimicking the Nick cartoon for Mikey and Don. THANK YOU CORY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Well in Bebop and Rocksteady's defense (it feels so wrong to defend Bebop and Rocksteady, at least I'm OK with this version of them at least), the fight against the Ghost Boys was out of line for them and I would still technically call the fights in City Fall and againts the Mutanimals losses, as they still failed in the end.
In my mind, I'm thinking not so much about accomplishing a mission or definitively winning a fight, so much as definitively getting their butts handed to them. NO ONE has done that yet. They've simply been outmaneuvered long enough for the Turtles to run away and live to fight another day.
Old 03-13-2015, 01:51 PM   #15
bushido
Stone Warrior

I hate to see B&R invincible. It's boring. So why they don't beat up Shredder then ? And become the new leaders of the Foot Clan ?
Old 03-13-2015, 02:26 PM   #16
neatoman
Emperor

Considering that Bebop and Rocksteady are the only Human/Animal hybrid mutants, maybe it'll eventually stop being about "Invincible thugs" and maybe more about the consequences of hybridisation?

Maybe they'll realise they'll realise what a loss mutation was or maybe the hybridisation will have unforseen consequenses?
Hahahaha!
Old 03-13-2015, 02:56 PM   #17
Joey Kamikaze
Stone Warrior

I don't think of Bebop and Rocksteady as "invincible," but rather they're threats that have to be outmaneuvered and outsmarted instead of simply pummeled into submission. This isn't Dragonball Z where every victory is a matter of having a higher power level than the other guy; if you want to see the heroes regularly beating the villains with superior fisticuffs, that's what all the Marvel/DC books about nutbars running around in their pajamas with their underwear on the outside are for.

Quote:
So why they don't beat up Shredder then ? And become the new leaders of the Foot Clan ?
Because they're painfully dumb and mentally wired to be followers, not leaders.

Though who knows, maybe they'll eventually go the way of the Archie versions and decide they've had enough of the human world altogether.
Joey Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 03:22 PM   #18
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Kamikaze View Post
I don't think of Bebop and Rocksteady as "invincible," but rather they're threats that have to be outmaneuvered and outsmarted instead of simply pummeled into submission. This isn't Dragonball Z where every victory is a matter of having a higher power level than the other guy; if you want to see the heroes regularly beating the villains with superior fisticuffs, that's what all the Marvel/DC books about nutbars running around in their pajamas with their underwear on the outside are for.
Being outmaneuvered and outsmarted is absolutely spot-on. I'm just saying we've seen some pretty clever tricks (electrocution, dropping a freaking building on their heads) and they just shrug it off. They're pretty invincible. And don't get me wrong, I love reading it. But when I think about it critically, I can't help but wonder if IDW is writing themselves into a corner with these two "superpowered" brawlers.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:34 PM   #19
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Being outmaneuvered and outsmarted is absolutely spot-on. I'm just saying we've seen some pretty clever tricks (electrocution, dropping a freaking building on their heads) and they just shrug it off. They're pretty invincible. And don't get me wrong, I love reading it. But when I think about it critically, I can't help but wonder if IDW is writing themselves into a corner with these two "superpowered" brawlers.
Bebop and Rocksteady are pretty much a force of nature.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:24 PM   #20
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

oh man, for some reason I thought Mutanimals #2 came out next week and this came out on the 25th.

glad it's the other way around though, I want to see how this story plays out before I learn more about Null
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comic discussion