The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 10-14-2018, 05:48 PM   #341
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Venom is #1 for the 2nd week in a roll. It made about $35.7 Million at the box office. Bringing up $378 million in total. Looks like the people have spoken. Venom is where its at.
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/venom...ldwide-a164097
Old 10-15-2018, 11:02 PM   #342
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Yes amazing news.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:38 AM   #343
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Venom is #1 for the 2nd week in a roll. It made about $35.7 Million at the box office. Bringing up $378 million in total. Looks like the people have spoken. Venom is where its at.
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/venom...ldwide-a164097
No accounting for taste
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 05:34 AM   #344
Leo656
The Franchise

I like you. Let's go bowling.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 08:51 PM   #345
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Venom Was A Massive Box Office Success

https://screenrant.com/venom-movie-b...mpaign=SR-FB-P

After only a few weeks in theaters, it's safe to say Venom is a box office success. Sony, admittedly, hasn't had the best luck adapting Marvel Comics for the big screen over the past decade. Sam Raimi's watershed Spider-Man trilogy flamed out after a mediocre third installment and the Amazing Spider-Man reboot couldn't make it past two entries. As a result, Sony agreed to a groundbreaking deal with Marvel Studios that allowed Peter Parker to become part of the MCU, but they still maintained the rights to some 900 characters that could headline their own features.

Looking to get back in the superhero movie game, Sony moved forward with a standalone Venom film starring Tom Hardy as Eddie Brock. Some viewers were confused or concerned about how the character could work without Spider-Man, but the studio managed to pull it off. Though Venom had a rough go at it from a critical perspective, it's in fine shape commercially.

Sony had a lot riding on Venom; as alluded to above, the studio was interested in launching a new line of comic book movies, developing films for characters like Morbius and Kraven the Hunter. Of course, the first one out of the gates needed to be a hit, and Venom certainly was that. The film rewrote the history books, grossing $80.2 million in its first three days domestically. That set a new all-time high for an October opening weekend, sailing past the $55.7 million posted by Gravity in 2013. Even with critically-acclaimed Best Picture frontrunner A Star is Born coming out on the same day, Venom proved to be the movie of choice for most viewers. Sony's decision to pursue a PG-13 rating proved to be beneficial.

October was also an ideal window for Venom's release. Before Eddie and his symbiote friend arrived on the scene, there had been a shortage of high-profile blockbusters on the market. While there were some box office smashes between the premieres of Mission: Impossible - Fallout and Venom, none of them were four-quadrant genre pictures. Especially after Shane Black's The Predator failed to leave much of an impression, it was easy to see a scenario where Venom capitalized on growing demand for a tentpole. It also faced minimal competition in the fall, with most of the other movies appealing to an entirely different target demographic. If Venom was a summer movie, things may not have gone so smoothly.

Getting out to that strong start was great, especially since Venom (like most of the box office) was dwarfed by Halloween this past weekend. To date, Venom has grossed a robust $172.3 million in the U.S., already placing in the top 10 on the 2018 charts. It will surely move up a couple of spots during the rest of its run, padding its totals before the last wave of major releases this year arrives. There isn't another high-profile franchise installment on the horizon until Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald in mid-November, though titles like Bohemian Rhapsody should draw sizable crowds in the interim.

Venom actually out-performed some other modern origin stories, including MCU Phase 1 titles like Thor and Captain America. Still, a case can be made its North American haul isn't overly impressive (at least for now). While $172.3 million isn't anything to be sneezed at, the movie did sport a $100 million production budget, meaning its domestic numbers alone are not enough to get it to profitability. Fortunately, the record-breaking hit is an even bigger smash internationally, where it's done real damage.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:31 AM   #346
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Good to hear. As much as Eddie Brock needs Peter Parker it really was a decent film.
Old 10-27-2018, 02:21 PM   #347
TurtleToys
Random Punk

I’ve heard mixed reviews. Not the best but not the worst. I think I’ll wait for it to hit the redbox machine.
TurtleToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 06:15 PM   #348
raph27
Mad Scientist

Saw this last week. First half wasn't great, sure, but it really picked up toward the end. Despite some weak dialogue it really lets itself go and just becomes a fun movie, totally opposite of the "try too hard to be gritty" theme I got from the trailers. Ended up enjoying it a lot more than I expected. I'm hoping from some sort of director's cut on Blu-ray.
raph27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 07:14 PM   #349
TurtleToys
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by raph27 View Post
Saw this last week. First half wasn't great, sure, but it really picked up toward the end. Despite some weak dialogue it really lets itself go and just becomes a fun movie, totally opposite of the "try too hard to be gritty" theme I got from the trailers. Ended up enjoying it a lot more than I expected. I'm hoping from some sort of director's cut on Blu-ray.
Is it worth paying to see it, because I don’t want to waste the money. Would you recommend it for me and my two kids (age7 and 10)? I’ve heard good and bad, I’m on the fence.
TurtleToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 07:42 PM   #350
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleToys View Post
Is it worth paying to see it, because I don’t want to waste the money. Would you recommend it for me and my two kids (age7 and 10)? I’ve heard good and bad, I’m on the fence.
Hmmm.... I don't think it's too violent to be honest. Other than a few cuss words (pussy) and the obligatory scene of Brock and his girl knocking boots to establish their relationship, it shouldn't be too bad, depending on what you consider too much for your kids.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 06:33 AM   #351
Shark_Blade
Emperor

VENOM Has Officially Passed $500 Million Worldwide Making A Sequel Announcement Inevitable

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/venom...itable-a164404

Despite not receiving a particularly good response from critics, moviegoers have clearly embraced Venom because the movie has now passed $500 million worldwide after four weeks in theaters. In total, the movie has made just over $508 million and considering the fact that it cost around $100 million to make, there's no way Sony Pictures execs isn't happy with this result.

It's said that Venom needed to surpass $450 million to turn a profit (bear in mind that marketing costs and the like aren't included in the figure above) and with a release in China and Japan looming which could push it as high as $700 million - $750 million at the global box office, neither this symbiote nor Sony's live-action Spider-Verse will be going anywhere any time soon!

By the time all is said and done, Venom will more than likely end up in the same ballparks as movies like Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy and it wouldn't be at all surprising if a sequel is announced before 2018 is over. What will be really interesting, though, is seeing whether or not changes behind the scenes will be made following those reviews.

————

Congrats Venom & Sony.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:34 PM   #352
AquaParade
Banned

I'm excited to rent this when it's available digitally. It should help that my expectations are pretty low due to the reviews I saw.

Oh. Oh, no. Now they're going back up.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 07:40 PM   #353
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Finally a first look at another home video edition of the Movie, this time with an action figure!
Old 11-04-2018, 01:36 AM   #354
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

I got back from seeing this movie. It's okay, I suppose. Not sure how I feel about about a couple of things in the movie..

Spoiler:
Certain parts of the Venom vs. Riot fight moved waaay too fast for my eyes to follow the action. Aside from the scene shown at the end of what might be coming in the next movie, why did Venom even need to deal with another symbiote? Why couldn't a more familiar Marvel antagonist fight Venom instead?

Edit: Nevermind - apparently there are more symbiotes besides Venom & Carnage, but, those two are more recognizable and memorable in the Marvel Universe.

Thanks, Marvel Wiki.

Last edited by DarkFell; 11-04-2018 at 01:45 AM.
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 01:46 AM   #355
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Couple of weeks after seeing it now. Still say it was OK. But largely forgot about it.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:45 AM   #356
AquaParade
Banned

That steelbook is glorious. Now I have to know if I like this movie.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:51 PM   #357
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Venom⁠ made $111m in it Chinese debut making it the 2nd biggest superhero movie opening debut behind Avengers: Infinity War’s $190m. The film is on track for $800m for a movie critics said wont surpass $450m.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.for...obal-cume/amp/

Venom' Passes 'Justice League' At The Worldwide Box Office
https://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/11...de-box-office/

Whoa, congrats Venom on the big wins!!

‘Venom' Passes 'Star Wars' at All-Time Worldwide Box Office

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/11...de-box-office/

It has been a huge week for Venom, whose release in China on November 11th skyrocketed the film's box office numbers, making it one the newest film to rank in the Top 100 Highest Grossing Films list. The other newest addition is Incredibles 2, which is now ranked at #15.

Venom, which made $210 million domestically, surpassed Justice League last week after it earned $34.7 million on its opening day in China alone. This feat makes the film, which was directed by Ruben Fleischer, the second-biggest opening day earner of a superhero movie in the country's box office history.

After a full week, it has now beaten the original Star Wars, which grossed $775.4 million worldwide. That puts Venom's new numbers at $780.5 million. It also managed to surpass Guardians of the Galaxy, which stands firm at $773.3 million.

Venom's current ranking is #84 on the worldwide list, moving towards Deadpool and Spider-Man 2, which currently stand at $783.1 million and $783.8 million, respectively. There's a good chance it's going to keeping moving up the list and we can't help but keep a close eye on its movements.

#Venom⁠ ⁠ reaches $822M at the worldwide box office, surpassing ‘Wonder Woman’

(via @ERCboxoffice) https://twitter.com/getfandom/status...103597056?s=21

Venom is killing it, wowza.

Official Venom blu ray trailer. IM SCREAMING

Old 11-28-2018, 05:10 AM   #358
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

We get it! Get a hold of yourself.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 06:59 AM   #359
AquaParade
Banned

Is this as bad as Suicide Squad? As bad as the Fantastic Fours?

Is it at least as good as Amazing Spider-Man or Iron Man 2?

I think it’d be fun to list one comic book movie this is better than and one it is worse than.

It’s all subjective, but it’s hard to get a feel for the reception to this movie. Glad to see the release date is so soon, so I can decide for myself.
Old 11-28-2018, 12:46 PM   #360
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Is this as bad as Suicide Squad? As bad as the Fantastic Fours?

Is it at least as good as Amazing Spider-Man or Iron Man 2?

I think it’d be fun to list one comic book movie this is better than and one it is worse than.

It’s all subjective, but it’s hard to get a feel for the reception to this movie. Glad to see the release date is so soon, so I can decide for myself.
It's pretty good, like 6/10.

Through the Golden Door
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
i love pg-13, sony lucks out