The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 08-16-2020, 06:25 AM   #1
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

Was the Kraang language the TMNT version of Smurf language?

It's my understanding that their way of speaking comes from a voice computer which never had been programmed the right way and because of the Kraang perfectly understanding each other, they never put in the effort to changing it.

But then I got to thinking about how similar it is to Smurf language, which in the comics is actually far worse.

The original term and the accompanying language came during a meal Peyo (Pierre Culliford, the man who created the Smurfs) was having with his colleague and friend Andre Franquin in which, having momentarily forgotten the word "salt", Peyo asked him (in French) to pass the Smurf. Franquin replied: "Here's the Smurf when you are done smurfing, smurf it back" and the two spent the rest of that weekend speaking in smurf language.

I wonder if the team who wrote 2012 series had the Kraang way of speaking as tribute to Smurf language seeing as how packed to the gills it was with Easter eggs.

The best example of people not understanding Smurf language came from the "Cursed country" in which throughout the story Johan and Peewit try to figure out what a lucky escapee Smurf tries to tell them what happened. The exchange went like this.

Smurf: Our village has been Smurfed by a smurf that smurfs smurf.

Homnibus: A "smurf that smurfs smurf?" I don't understand, what is he saying?

Peewit: Easy, he says that his village has been visited by a bandit who talks through his nose.

Sir Johan: Really, I suspect that he's talking about a plague that came from the sky.

King: No, no, you got it all wrong, it's a wolf that came from the forest.

Smurf: No that isn't it either.

Peewit: An elephant who blew his horn then?

King: Or a wildman who drinks blood?

- Turns out that their village had been demolished (Smurfed) by a dragon (A Smurf) that breathes fire (that smurfs smurf).
Old 08-16-2020, 11:40 AM   #2
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I suppose you are right, never really thought about that. lol
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 11:58 AM   #3
victory_angel
Foot Elite

It's due to their hivemind with Kraang Prime, with a hive mind there is no individuality so they are all just the Kraang.