The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 08-06-2019, 10:42 PM   #41
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
I think one of the reasons Battle Angel Alita got some backlash here and there was the fact that they focused on actually making the best movie they could and adapting the original material without forcing a girl power message or some other political agenda in there.
I'm still very angry that movie didn't do gangbusters. It absolutely deserved to. My daughter loved the crap out of it as well.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:11 AM   #42
Vegita-San
Emperor

I appreciate the support, but don't feed the trolls. easier to put them on ignore so they argue with themselves

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 02:34 AM   #43
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

She sure can play whoever or whatever she wants.

That being said, the freedom to portray things extends to all parties involved in creative works.

I wonder if people will lose their minds if they make a black, female James Bond a permanent thing? I mean, the actress has the right to play whoever she wants. . .
Old 08-07-2019, 04:30 AM   #44
Sumac
Banned

There is a difference between playing historical character and fictional ones.
And fictional characters who have pre-established image.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 06:00 AM   #45
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Ohhhhh let's not start that crap. It might shock you guys to know, but it is possible to make a woman led movie that isn't 'rubbing it in the face of males', 'showing the boys how its done' and 'will piss off the fanboys'.
I know that. Doesn't mean I can't still roll my eyes at cringy comments like this.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 06:49 AM   #46
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Not in the context of the argument, no. If she can play whoever or whatever she wants, then that's what that means.

It's an issue of consistency. If you support her saying this now, then it should extend to everyone, yes? If Whoopi Goldberg is cast to play April O'Neil in the next TMNT film, is that a problem? Obviously, Goldberg looks and behaves nothing like the "pre-established" fictional character. It would definitely be an odd choice, to say the least. But according to Scarlett Johannson, it's just fine.

Last edited by Voltron; 08-07-2019 at 07:00 AM.
Voltron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 07:09 AM   #47
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Some people who claim to want peace, sometimes just want to bait.

Her wanting to play who and what she wants has nothing to do with the Black Widow writer saying she basically just wants to screw the fans of the franchise over. and you know it.

Besides, she should be able to play what she wants. whether that is the right choice for the franchise, or the movie in question is a TOTALLY separate issue.

Old 08-07-2019, 08:05 AM   #48
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltron View Post
Not in the context of the argument, no. If she can play whoever or whatever she wants, then that's what that means.

It's an issue of consistency. If you support her saying this now, then it should extend to everyone, yes? If Whoopi Goldberg is cast to play April O'Neil in the next TMNT film, is that a problem? Obviously, Goldberg looks and behaves nothing like the "pre-established" fictional character. It would definitely be an odd choice, to say the least. But according to Scarlett Johannson, it's just fine.
Fair enough.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:39 AM   #49
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltron View Post
I wonder if people will lose their minds if they make a black, female James Bond a permanent thing?
They can make a black, female 007, but not a black, female James Bond (though let's see them do that and see what happens, lol). The movies don't have "James Bond" as a moniker or a mantle, it's an actual person with a family and family history.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:27 AM   #50
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
They can make a black, female 007, but not a black, female James Bond (though let's see them do that and see what happens, lol). The movies don't have "James Bond" as a moniker or a mantle, it's an actual person with a family and family history.
Watch how the next argument will be "it's a fictional person - who cares? (and if you care you are sexist, racist monster)".

This is what you get in society imbued with post-modern / post-truth logic: nothing has meaning anymore, everything can be warped into something else and labels and words don't have any power whatsoever. This is why mere complaint about female character or agenda in the movies, made purely for the money is enough to label you as "nazi".

Of course, it will pass, as soon as critical mass of idiocy will be reached, which I think will be quite soon.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:54 PM   #51
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

Again, that's the issue with Johannson's comment:

If she can portray anyone she wants, why not James Bond?

Andrew's logic still holds: James Bond is an established character with a family history. Everyone, even non-fans, have certain expectations when it comes to James Bond.

Fictional characters are important to people. They are attached to childhood memories. They represent cultural values. They can serve as inspiration to be better people. I think the fact that we're having this discussion on a TMNT board is proof enough of that. There's a reason we tell stories.

Changes to those characters can be very upsetting, if not flat out enraging. I think holding true to a character's origin should be important.

If we're talking about Ghost in the Shell, I would've very much like to have seen a Japanese or an East Asian actress in the role. But I'd like to have seen that because it's truer to the character.

I think we can agree with the over all point being made without agreeing with the logic that lead some people there. We can say "I'm not happy with this choice of actor/actress portraying this character" without saying "everyone is a racist, sexist pig except for me".

On the flip-side of this argument, a number of "ginger" characters are being played by black actors. There's been some loons who've been using the exact same arguments as the SJWs to attack those choices. Awhile back, some media personalities had a row over whether or not Santa Claus could be black.

And at that point, you're right. I tend to find myself in the "I don't care" group. Because it's just not that important to me. To me. I could understand how some people might be upset over it. Perhaps some kids managed to figure out the truth about Santa from that information.

My point: arguing these things with cheap reasons like "it's racist" when there's little to no evidence is pointless. It always leads to other debates about some other hot button issue and everything just turns to crap. No body wins anything.
Old 08-08-2019, 03:27 AM   #52
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Like I said... She should be able to play anyone she wants. whether or not it's good for the movie, or the movie in question IS the question. as with the above, James Bond is a white male. nothing less, nothing more.

007, on the other hand, is a bit more open to interpretation. although since James Bond has ALWAYS been 007.....it could be like a yankee pinstripe..once the great player retires, the code name is never used again.

Old 08-08-2019, 08:29 AM   #53
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Ghost in the Shell is a different case. Motoko never looked particularly Asian, and Scarjo brought the character to life as much as RDJ brought Tony Stark to life. The creator of the manga approved it. People in Japan see no issue. Scarjo practically IS Motoko in the movie leaping off the pages and brought to life.

IDK what it is, but there's just something in the way Japan draws their characters that when someone portrays them in live action, an actual Japanese person would look like they're cosplaying the character instead of actually being the character. I mean to the average person, Sailor Moon and Light Yagami look white. The Elric brothers are the fictitious version of Germans in their own book, etc.

I mean I don't think we ever got to see Motoko's real body in the series before she was rebuilt as a machine. The movie went the extra mile and showed flashbacks of what Motoko looked like as a human, though that also could have been to shut up the naysayers that never seen the actual series and just wanted to yell 'whitewashing'.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 11:25 AM   #54
Sumac
Banned

Ironically Japanese characters looking white is a legacy of the creator of modern anime genre, Osamu Tezuka, who modeled his Japanese characters after characters in Disney movies.

Japanese apparently don't really bother with this - as long as character has Japanese name, he is Japanese, no matter what he looks like. If character is not-Japanese, he will look very different from any other characters in the setting.
Old 08-11-2019, 07:01 AM   #55
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

I've heard the same thing.

Although, if you ask people in Japan, anime characters look Japanese. The giant eyes aren't supposed to look European. They're just stylized that way.

I don't know, maybe they're just referring to Shinjuku cosplayers who dress like cartoon characters every day.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:43 AM   #56
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Ironically Japanese characters looking white is a legacy of the creator of modern anime genre, Osamu Tezuka, who modeled his Japanese characters after characters in Disney movies.

Japanese apparently don't really bother with this - as long as character has Japanese name, he is Japanese, no matter what he looks like. If character is not-Japanese, he will look very different from any other characters in the setting.
No, they just draw people without really thinking about how they look different. That's because in Japan you don't necessarily think of people around you as "Japanese" or "Asian" but as people, it's foreigner who is something of note (sorry if I can't express this better). If you actually look up anime characters who are indeed meant to be white, you'll notice some differences from characters who are meant to be Japanese. Here you have Roy and Hikaru from Macross, take note of how Roy is taller, has more sqaure features, a bigger nose, blonde hair, etc:
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 12:33 PM   #57
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
No, they just draw people without really thinking about how they look different.
And this is started with Osamu Tezuka being fan of Disney.

Quote:
If you actually look up anime characters who are indeed meant to be white, you'll notice some differences from characters who are meant to be Japanese. Here you have Roy and Hikaru from Macross, take note of how Roy is taller, has more sqaure features, a bigger nose, blonde hair, etc:
https://robotechreviewed.files.wordp...5/rick-roy.png
This is what I've said.
Old 08-11-2019, 01:53 PM   #58
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
And this is started with Osamu Tezuka being fan of Disney.

This is what I've said.
Sorry, I must have had a brainfart reading your post. Anyway, still nice to depict an actual example though.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 03:29 PM   #59
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
No, they just draw people without really thinking about how they look different. That's because in Japan you don't necessarily think of people around you as "Japanese" or "Asian" but as people, it's foreigner who is something of note (sorry if I can't express this better). If you actually look up anime characters who are indeed meant to be white, you'll notice some differences from characters who are meant to be Japanese. Here you have Roy and Hikaru from Macross, take note of how Roy is taller, has more sqaure features, a bigger nose, blonde hair, etc:
This is the exact opposite from my experience/observation. My favorite anime is FullMetal Alchemist BrotherHood. The main characters and setting is suppose to be European, but all the characters look just like any other Anime character, except for character who are from "Xing", characters from "Xing" are supposed to be Asian and they exaggerate the eyes by giving the main characters(Ling) squinting eyes.
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:54 PM   #60
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:

Um, not to nit-pick, but the character is Rick Hunter, and he was hardly Asian. He is shorter because he was a teenager! He even has blue eyes! Hubby is a big Macross/Robotech fan. It's also an American anime. Hikaru is just the name they use in the Japanese version. Minmei and her family are the only major Asian characters!

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black cuckow, sjw is the new 30