The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2016, 03:45 PM   #61
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill
 
Netkeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
As long as BLM protests don't come to your area you should be fine. You're in the south right? I'm just saying chances are very low anything will happen to you in specific.
Oh yeah, chances are low anything will happen to most people in specific. But it isn't specifically about BLM and I don't agree with your words about it.
__________________
Netkeeper is offline  
Old 07-08-2016, 04:20 PM   #62
Commenter 42
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
http://www.fox29.com/news/local-news/171603441-story

Well that's awkward. Guy (white) is appropriately shot after actually pulling a gun on police and pointing it at them, but "is expected to survive."

Soooo... was it luck or do these cops need to train others how to aim for non-vital areas and not shoot to kill? Hm.
That's the point, isn't it. Alton sold CD's on a street corner. A homeless dude harassed him. and he made a very idle threat. homeless dude "reports him". Now he's, dead?

The best part is, the homeless kid had a cellphone. Right... cause when I was broke growing up, I had a ****ing cellphone.

A conversation would have sufficed. A non confrontational, conversation.
Commenter 42 is offline  
Old 07-08-2016, 04:40 PM   #63
ssjup81
Foot Elite
 
ssjup81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Central Virginia (Back in the US)
Posts: 4,279
You know, that story about the unarmed naked kid is ridiculous. How can the police not deal with a naked kid. How in the world can a naked guy be armed? Where would he conceal the weapon? I feel bad for people in this situation, but I also feel bad for the cops...the GOOD cops that are being overshadowed by the bad ones. Geez...

Here, I was told that police officers have to be trained in a martial art (judo, Kendo, karate, for example) to deal with unarmed suspects. I thought US cops had training for that too.
ssjup81 is offline  
Old 07-08-2016, 05:02 PM   #64
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 13,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
You know, that story about the unarmed naked kid is ridiculous. How can the police not deal with a naked kid. How in the world can a naked guy be armed? Where would he conceal the weapon? I feel bad for people in this situation, but I also feel bad for the cops...the GOOD cops that are being overshadowed by the bad ones. Geez...

Here, I was told that police officers have to be trained in a martial art (judo, Kendo, karate, for example) to deal with unarmed suspects. I thought US cops had training for that too.
Bath salts. As we've discussed.
__________________
ALL THEIR DAYS ARE NUMBERED
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline  
Old 07-08-2016, 05:08 PM   #65
ToTheNines
[sic]
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 15,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
http://www.fox29.com/news/local-news/171603441-story

Well that's awkward. Guy (white) is appropriately shot after actually pulling a gun on police and pointing it at them, but "is expected to survive."

Soooo... was it luck or do these cops need to train others how to aim for non-vital areas and not shoot to kill? Hm.
He's gonna live because he's ****ing lucky. Guns are for lethal force, period. This isn't Hollywood, cops cannot shoot with that kind of accuracy under duress.
ToTheNines is offline  
Old 03-24-2018, 11:08 AM   #66
Papenbrook
❍ Omigosh ❍
 
Papenbrook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: ✮ I'm inside my own head! ✮
Posts: 1,729
... And another shooting has happened. This time, it was in Sacramento, California.

He was only twenty-two years old. He was a father of two young children. He had TWENTY shots fired at him, while he was in his grandmother's backyard.

I usually stay silent on issues such as these, as I don't want to face the massive, yet inevitable, backlash from people who claim that these types of incidents don't exist in real life. However, when horrific occurrences like these happen, I just can't ignore and shun it away.

These can't keep happening. All of this must end.

My thoughts are with his friends and family. Let's hope that all involved will get properly reprimanded and punished.
Papenbrook is online now  
Old 03-24-2018, 12:14 PM   #67
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor
 
ProphetofGanja's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Dub Side of the Moon
Posts: 2,619
People will keep getting shot by police, particularly black, latino, or homeless/mentally ill people, and police will keep getting off without any type of consequence other than a brief period of paid leave. The police in the USA aren't here to protect the average citizen, they exist to uphold the status quo put in place to serve corporate/political interests.
ProphetofGanja is offline  
Old 03-24-2018, 12:59 PM   #68
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician
 
Redeemer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: third earth
Posts: 4,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
... And another shooting has happened. This time, it was in Sacramento, California.

He was only twenty-two years old. He was a father of two young children. He had TWENTY shots fired at him, while he was in his grandmother's backyard.

I usually stay silent on issues such as these, as I don't want to face the massive, yet inevitable, backlash from people who claim that these types of incidents don't exist in real life. However, when horrific occurrences like these happen, I just can't ignore and shun it away.

These can't keep happening. All of this must end.

My thoughts are with his friends and family. Let's hope that all involved will get properly reprimanded and punished.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
People will keep getting shot by police, particularly black, latino, or homeless/mentally ill people, and police will keep getting off without any type of consequence other than a brief period of paid leave. The police in the USA aren't here to protect the average citizen, they exist to uphold the status quo put in place to serve corporate/political interests.
I am curious, where you guys are getting your information from? The guy in question who was shot was breaking into car and had "Prybar/toolbar" that he was using breaking into cars. He fled from the police. None of this would have happened if this guy had not decided to break into cars or even yet not run from the police. It is unfortunate that he lost his life. But the officers do have a right to protect themselves. Also it sounds like they did cross a line when they repeatedly shot him while he was on the ground previously shot.

Prophet Ganja You say that particularly minorities are getting shot when in fact more white people are killed by police than any other race. Also your cynical comment about police protecting corporate/political interests is very insulting and I promise you that most Officers sign on to protect and serve.

Also Prophet Cops are not getting "Away" with it. A minnesota cop is being indicated for Murder and a Oklahoma Reserve Cop plead guilty to manslaughter. Unfortunately the National Media is not reporting this, because they want to report divisive or controversial topics or even out at times push a narrative they want to portray.

I will be following this closely, bc I am curious to see what happens.

I think we need to implement a National Standard with Law Enforcement Training and I think at a early age we need to teach kids not to run from police and to follow their instructions to prevent future tragedies like this.
__________________
GT:Reedeamer
THE TECHNODROME REDESIGN 2015
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=51594
Redeemer is offline  
Old 03-24-2018, 02:12 PM   #69
Candy Kappa
Passive-Aggressive Snob
 
Candy Kappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vikingland
Posts: 13,505
Link didn't work for me, do I found some other ones.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...-idUSKBN1H003T

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/03/22/u...ing/index.html

http://time.com/5209780/stephan-alon...lice-shooting/

It's clear that Black people shouldn't hold anything in their hands in the presence of an American police officer, like ever. Cause a cellphone or a wallet seems to make them piss their pants and think they're in a ****ing Rambo movie. 20 shots, like holy ****, are you serious!? What kind of scaredycat pansy that can't control their trigger-happy finger is this. Absolutely ridiculous, it'd be laughable hadn't been for someone is dead. Car jacker or not, 20 shots.

This is why the rest of the world is ridiculing the American police and making them the butt-end of jokes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
Prophet Ganja You say that particularly minorities are getting shot when in fact more white people are killed by police than any other race..
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/do...-black-people/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.380e1f2888a2
Candy Kappa is offline  
Old 03-24-2018, 02:18 PM   #70
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 5,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
People will keep getting shot by police, particularly black, latino, or homeless/mentally ill people, and police will keep getting off without any type of consequence other than a brief period of paid leave. The police in the USA aren't here to protect the average citizen, they exist to uphold the status quo put in place to serve corporate/political interests.
The cops shoot homeless people?! Damn...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
So I've watched some of April O'Neil's "videos." They were OK, the lesbian massage ones were the best ones. I skimmed through some of the others, but eh.

I've seen better.
Prowler is offline  
Old 03-24-2018, 04:09 PM   #71
dl316bh
Stone Warrior
 
dl316bh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
I am curious, where you guys are getting your information from? The guy in question who was shot was breaking into car and had "Prybar/toolbar" that he was using breaking into cars. He fled from the police.
"According to a press release issued by the Sacramento Police Department, a helicopter tracking a suspect directed the officers to Clark, who ran towards the house after being confronted by officers. The police department said Clark turned and began to “advance forward with his arms extended, and holding an object in his hands.”

The officers, who are said to have thought the object was a gun, then fired 20 rounds at Clark. It’s unclear how many of the shots hit Clark, but other facts aren’t in dispute, and they’re disturbing: After the shooting, officers waited several minutes for backup before moving to handcuff Clark and beginning medical treatment. And the only item he turned out to have been carrying was a cellphone."

https://www.vox.com/identities/2018/...ing-sacramento

Quote:
Prophet Ganja You say that particularly minorities are getting shot when in fact more white people are killed by police than any other race.
Partially true, but that ignores everything but raw numbers.

"According to the most recent census data, there are nearly 160 million more white people in America than there are black people. White people make up roughly 62 percent of the U.S. population but only about 49 percent of those who are killed by police officers. African Americans, however, account for 24 percent of those fatally shot and killed by the police despite being just 13 percent of the U.S. population. As The Post noted in a new analysis, that means black Americans are 2.5 times as likely as white Americans to be shot and killed by police officers."

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/do...-black-people/

Also, it probably says a lot about the attitude of cops when some of them will say outright to people they stop "don't worry, we only kill black people".

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/31/u...e-georgia.html

Quote:
Also Prophet Cops are not getting "Away" with it. A minnesota cop is being indicated for Murder and a Oklahoma Reserve Cop plead guilty to manslaughter. Unfortunately the National Media is not reporting this, because they want to report divisive or controversial topics or even out at times push a narrative they want to portray.
Even if they're indicted - and that's never a guarantee - it means little because they usually get off or at least get a reduced sentence.

https://www.cnn.com/2017/05/18/us/po...ses/index.html

"Is it really so rare that white police officers serve time for killing black men* and women? According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, 70 percent of people charged with some form of killing (including murder, manslaughter, homicide, etc.) in America are eventually convicted. That is what researchers call the “homicide conviction rate.”

But when it comes to police, that rate drops precipitously. Bowling Green State University’s Police Integrity Lost project shows that only 29 officers have been convicted for killing on duty since 2005, mostly on lesser charges. Police are 33 percent less likely than a regular citizen to be convicted of a crime, and the conviction rate for cops charged with some form of murder is 35 percent—half that of the normal population. In fact, in the last 13 years, only one officer has been convicted of intentional murder. And in the rare case in which a cop is convicted, the officer hardly ever does time for killing a black man."

"Part of the reason for the discrepancy in convictions of police officers is that the justice system is tilted toward them. If the conviction rate for officers charged with homicide seems low, the statistics on how few officers are charged is startling. Most cops never even face charges for shooting black victims. Even though 1,146 lives were ended by police in 2015, not one cop was convicted for an on-duty killing that year.

Prosecutors have to work with police departments every day, so many are reluctant to bring charges against the officers who work with them to convict criminals. Even when prosecutors charge the cops, the grand jury process ensures that many officers will never face trial. In most states, when evidence is presented in front of a grand jury, the victim is represented by the state. While this seems legitimate in most criminal cases, in the cases of police shootings, the prosecutors trying to indict the police officers are essentially teammates of the accused."

https://www.theroot.com/white-men-ca...the-1796309966

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
20 shots, like holy ****, are you serious!? What kind of scaredycat pansy that can't control their trigger-happy finger is this. Absolutely ridiculous, it'd be laughable hadn't been for someone is dead. Car jacker or not, 20 shots.
I wonder how much of that is down to compensating for poor accuracy with more dakka.
__________________
dl316bh is offline  
Old 03-24-2018, 06:13 PM   #72
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician
 
Redeemer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: third earth
Posts: 4,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
Link didn't work for me, do I found some other ones.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...-idUSKBN1H003T

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/03/22/u...ing/index.html

http://time.com/5209780/stephan-alon...lice-shooting/

It's clear that Black people shouldn't hold anything in their hands in the presence of an American police officer, like ever. Cause a cellphone or a wallet seems to make them piss their pants and think they're in a ****ing Rambo movie. 20 shots, like holy ****, are you serious!? What kind of scaredycat pansy that can't control their trigger-happy finger is this. Absolutely ridiculous, it'd be laughable hadn't been for someone is dead. Car jacker or not, 20 shots.

This is why the rest of the world is ridiculing the American police and making them the butt-end of jokes.



https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/do...-black-people/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.380e1f2888a2
Those stats are misleading, bc the fact is Blacks/African Americans have far more counters with police than any other ethnicity in the United States in distribution with their population.
https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...ables/table-43
People point out the percentage, but ignore fact that Black/African Americans commit THE MOST MURDERS, more than any other ethnicity in the U.S. despite only being 12% of the population. My point being is WE NEED TO STOP ALWAYS BLAMING POLICE AND INTERVENE IN THESE LESS FORTUNATE COMMUNITIES. We need to promote education and give adequate resources so that these young men and woman will turn to crime to begin with. It flat out sucks some of the conditions a lot of these neighbor hoods are in. Another problem is that Officers are mistaking everyday items for guns, especially officers who are in gang units. I will try to find the study, but essentially the study shows that officers who work in the gang unit are more likely to mistake a black man/woman for having a gun, bc of mental shortcuts the brain creates from experience, at least that is the theory..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl316bh View Post

Partially true, but that ignores everything but raw numbers.

"According to the most recent census data, there are nearly 160 million more white people in America than there are black people. White people make up roughly 62 percent of the U.S. population but only about 49 percent of those who are killed by police officers. African Americans, however, account for 24 percent of those fatally shot and killed by the police despite being just 13 percent of the U.S. population. As The Post noted in a new analysis, that means black Americans are 2.5 times as likely as white Americans to be shot and killed by police officers."
Look at my post above, those stats do not take into the fact that Black Minority have more run ins with law enforcement compared to other ethnicity given their percentage of the population. Like I said that stat is extremely misleading.
__________________
GT:Reedeamer
THE TECHNODROME REDESIGN 2015
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=51594
Redeemer is offline  
Old 03-24-2018, 06:30 PM   #73
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician
 
Redeemer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: third earth
Posts: 4,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by dl316bh View Post
Even if they're indicted - and that's never a guarantee - it means little because they usually get off or at least get a reduced sentence.

https://www.cnn.com/2017/05/18/us/po...ses/index.html

"Is it really so rare that white police officers serve time for killing black men* and women? According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, 70 percent of people charged with some form of killing (including murder, manslaughter, homicide, etc.) in America are eventually convicted. That is what researchers call the “homicide conviction rate.”

But when it comes to police, that rate drops precipitously. Bowling Green State University’s Police Integrity Lost project shows that only 29 officers have been convicted for killing on duty since 2005, mostly on lesser charges. Police are 33 percent less likely than a regular citizen to be convicted of a crime, and the conviction rate for cops charged with some form of murder is 35 percent—half that of the normal population. In fact, in the last 13 years, only one officer has been convicted of intentional murder. And in the rare case in which a cop is convicted, the officer hardly ever does time for killing a black man."

"Part of the reason for the discrepancy in convictions of police officers is that the justice system is tilted toward them. If the conviction rate for officers charged with homicide seems low, the statistics on how few officers are charged is startling. Most cops never even face charges for shooting black victims. Even though 1,146 lives were ended by police in 2015, not one cop was convicted for an on-duty killing that year.

Prosecutors have to work with police departments every day, so many are reluctant to bring charges against the officers who work with them to convict criminals. Even when prosecutors charge the cops, the grand jury process ensures that many officers will never face trial. In most states, when evidence is presented in front of a grand jury, the victim is represented by the state. While this seems legitimate in most criminal cases, in the cases of police shootings, the prosecutors trying to indict the police officers are essentially teammates of the accused."

https://www.theroot.com/white-men-ca...the-1796309966


I wonder how much of that is down to compensating for poor accuracy with more dakka.
I agree that prosecutors are put into a precarious position when having to prosecute an officer which brings the internal validity into question which is why I believe each state should have a special state prosecutor that oversees cases against cops considering that a state prosecutor will most likely have no previous relationship and less bias.

But I disagree the justice system is not slanted towards cops. Officers jobs puts them in that position by nature, think about it. Most cops are engaged in physical altercations when a police killing happens. Meaning they can easily claim self defense and also because murder requires intent it is hard to make a case for this. Its not just a black thing.
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...-daniel-shaver
As I said before because of the nature of the job and the fact that murder has to have clear intent or malice it is difficult to convict a cop. You can not find much clearer video. Again if people would simply listen and obey this would not happen nearly as often.

Again from the stats and evidence and studies I have seen this is not a race issue and its not always the cops fault.
I will reiterate this is why I think we need a national standard for training police officers and I think a special state prosecutor should be assigned to review all cases. Also I think we need to teach kids at a early age to listen and respect law enforcement.
__________________
GT:Reedeamer
THE TECHNODROME REDESIGN 2015
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=51594
Redeemer is offline  
Old 03-24-2018, 09:14 PM   #74
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor
 
ProphetofGanja's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Dub Side of the Moon
Posts: 2,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
I am curious, where you guys are getting your information from? The guy in question who was shot was breaking into car and had "Prybar/toolbar" that he was using breaking into cars. He fled from the police. None of this would have happened if this guy had not decided to break into cars or even yet not run from the police. It is unfortunate that he lost his life. But the officers do have a right to protect themselves. Also it sounds like they did cross a line when they repeatedly shot him while he was on the ground previously shot.

Prophet Ganja You say that particularly minorities are getting shot when in fact more white people are killed by police than any other race. Also your cynical comment about police protecting corporate/political interests is very insulting and I promise you that most Officers sign on to protect and serve.

Also Prophet Cops are not getting "Away" with it. A minnesota cop is being indicated for Murder and a Oklahoma Reserve Cop plead guilty to manslaughter. Unfortunately the National Media is not reporting this, because they want to report divisive or controversial topics or even out at times push a narrative they want to portray.

I will be following this closely, bc I am curious to see what happens.

I think we need to implement a National Standard with Law Enforcement Training and I think at a early age we need to teach kids not to run from police and to follow their instructions to prevent future tragedies like this.
You are either misunderstanding statistics or willfully misinterpreting them, which I hope is not the case. Black people in America, as pointed out, make up a relatively small percentage of the population yet must deal with some of the heaviest hands in matters involving the police. Very rarely do they get the same benefit of the doubt that white people get. Denying that fact is either naive or malicious depending on your intent.

I don't think you can tell me why most people sign up to be a part of the police force because that is something only the individual in question can know for certain, and they can easily make up a false reason to tell other people. I don't claim to know why most cops chose to become cops but I do know that many of them abuse their power, as studies have shown that power almost always has a tendency to corrupt if left unchecked, plus the evidence presented to us in the news so regularly (unarmed civilians committing dubious crimes and being killed because an officer "feared for their life").

The cop who shot the unarmed Australian woman in Minnesota (who, if I recall correctly, was in fact the person who actually called the police) is facing charges. Is it a coincidence that the cop involved in that incident is black? Let's hope so. That's still only one cop out of the near countless police shootings of civilians that occur each year in America. A person committing a crime is not grounds to murder them, it is simply justification to arrest them and process them through the justice system (which has its own numerous flaws).

And so your solution is to enforce compliance with an armed police force by teaching children not to question authority but to simply follow orders? I feel like you would have loved Germany in the 40s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
Those stats are misleading, bc the fact is Blacks/African Americans have far more counters with police than any other ethnicity in the United States in distribution with their population.
https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...ables/table-43
People point out the percentage, but ignore fact that Black/African Americans commit THE MOST MURDERS, more than any other ethnicity in the U.S. despite only being 12% of the population. My point being is WE NEED TO STOP ALWAYS BLAMING POLICE AND INTERVENE IN THESE LESS FORTUNATE COMMUNITIES. We need to promote education and give adequate resources so that these young men and woman will turn to crime to begin with. It flat out sucks some of the conditions a lot of these neighbor hoods are in. Another problem is that Officers are mistaking everyday items for guns, especially officers who are in gang units. I will try to find the study, but essentially the study shows that officers who work in the gang unit are more likely to mistake a black man/woman for having a gun, bc of mental shortcuts the brain creates from experience, at least that is the theory..


Look at my post above, those stats do not take into the fact that Black Minority have more run ins with law enforcement compared to other ethnicity given their percentage of the population. Like I said that stat is extremely misleading.
How have you completely divorced the situation that many black people find themselves in from its historical concept? You do realize that the vast majority of black people living in America were brought here hundreds of years ago, stripped of their culture and humanity, forced to work in inhuman conditions until death, and then even after they were declared "free" were forced to deal with rampant prejudice and unfair laws? Jesus ****ing Christ man, read a his try book. At the least, read up on the history of police here in America, which you claimed weren't founded to protect corporate/sociopolitical interests. Time Magazine did a piece on it a last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
I agree that prosecutors are put into a precarious position when having to prosecute an officer which brings the internal validity into question which is why I believe each state should have a special state prosecutor that oversees cases against cops considering that a state prosecutor will most likely have no previous relationship and less bias.

But I disagree the justice system is not slanted towards cops. Officers jobs puts them in that position by nature, think about it. Most cops are engaged in physical altercations when a police killing happens. Meaning they can easily claim self defense and also because murder requires intent it is hard to make a case for this. Its not just a black thing.
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...-daniel-shaver
As I said before because of the nature of the job and the fact that murder has to have clear intent or malice it is difficult to convict a cop. You can not find much clearer video. Again if people would simply listen and obey this would not happen nearly as often.

Again from the stats and evidence and studies I have seen this is not a race issue and its not always the cops fault.
I will reiterate this is why I think we need a national standard for training police officers and I think a special state prosecutor should be assigned to review all cases. Also I think we need to teach kids at a early age to listen and respect law enforcement.
I don't even know what else to say, man, I think it's pretty apparent that you've drunk the "Blue Lives Matter" Kool-Aid and you ain't coming back from that anytime soon.

I'm not saying that there aren't any good cops out there, I'm just saying that you need to be more willing to question what is passed off as the "official" story and why hundreds of unarmed citizens needed to die for no reason, or at least why countless more black citizens are simply shot down while white citizens are brought in unharmed.

Thanks Candy Kappa, dl316bh, and everyone else who posted relevant statistics/facts in this thread
ProphetofGanja is offline  
Old 03-24-2018, 09:48 PM   #75
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 7,803
"If people would only listen and obey"... Well that sounds to me like someone who's never run into one of those bunch spoiling bad apples.

Were it that we were all so lucky.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline  
Old 03-24-2018, 10:47 PM   #76
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician
 
Redeemer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: third earth
Posts: 4,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
You are either misunderstanding statistics or willfully misinterpreting them, which I hope is not the case. Black people in America, as pointed out, make up a relatively small percentage of the population yet must deal with some of the heaviest hands in matters involving the police. Very rarely do they get the same benefit of the doubt that white people get. Denying that fact is either naive or malicious depending on your intent.

I don't think you can tell me why most people sign up to be a part of the police force because that is something only the individual in question can know for certain, and they can easily make up a false reason to tell other people.
I think I actually can tell you since I have seen and experienced it first hand. I don't think you have a clue what sacrifice most officers make.

But also I don't think I am misinterpreting the facts or stats. I have spent numerous hours with this very issue. If you could please explain how I am miss interpreting the data that would be great, instead of just telling me I am wrong..... Thats gets us now where

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
cop who shot the unarmed Australian woman in Minnesota (who, if I recall correctly, was in fact the person who actually called the police) is facing charges. Is it a coincidence that the cop involved in that incident is black? Let's hope so. That's still only one cop out of the near countless police shootings of civilians that occur each year in America. A person committing a crime is not grounds to murder them, it is simply justification to arrest them and process them through the justice system (which has its own numerous flaws).

And so your solution is to enforce compliance with an armed police force by teaching children not to question authority but to simply follow orders? I feel like you would have loved Germany in the 40s.
I honestly think that politics are more of a driving force behind the minnesota incident than any, due to the fact it was a Australian National killed.

But also you are going extreme with the Germany Comparisons. My point being is if a cop wants to talk to you you should not run. That way this situation could have been avoided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
have you completely divorced the situation that many black people find themselves in from its historical concept? You do realize that the vast majority of black people living in America were brought here hundreds of years ago, stripped of their culture and humanity, forced to work in inhuman conditions until death, and then even after they were declared "free" were forced to deal with rampant prejudice and unfair laws? Jesus ****ing Christ man, read a his try book. At the least, read up on the history of police here in America, which you claimed weren't founded to protect corporate/sociopolitical interests. Time Magazine did a piece on it a last year.
I feel like you a just not reading my post at this point or I did not make it quite clear in the first place. I was trying to explain that black minorities in this country had such a disadvantage when it comes resources and education that it is ridiculous. I was suggesting that proper community resources and better education would help tone down the disparaging difference in economic and crime stats. Lower crime stats means less likely to have run ins with police officers, Better education and resources means better quality of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
I don't even know what else to say, man, I think it's pretty apparent that you've drunk the "Blue Lives Matter" Kool-Aid and you ain't coming back from that anytime soon.

I'm not saying that there aren't any good cops out there, I'm just saying that you need to be more willing to question what is passed off as the "official" story and why hundreds of unarmed citizens needed to die for no reason, or at least why countless more black citizens are simply shot down while white citizens are brought in unharmed.

Thanks Candy Kappa, dl316bh, and everyone else who posted relevant statistics/facts in this thread
I think all lives matter...Life is the most sacred thing in the world and should only be taken as a last resort. Its really weird that you say "White People" are arrested unharmed when infant I posted a link show a cop killing a white guy that was literally unarmed on the ground but now is crying over it. I am frankly quite tired of this Narrative of Cop vs Black People, Black vs Blue that everyone seems to be focused on...Its ridiculous how the media is dividing this country.

I am going to try list my Basic Points Below Again....
-We need a National Standard for Police Officer Training.
-All States Should have a special prosecutor to investigate and prosecute police shootings
-We need to teach kids in school to never fight a police officer and how to interact with police.

Prophet I am really not trying to take a side and I have my own bias and tendency like anyone else, but I am trying to find solutions to this problem...
__________________
GT:Reedeamer
THE TECHNODROME REDESIGN 2015
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=51594
Redeemer is offline  
Old 03-24-2018, 10:49 PM   #77
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician
 
Redeemer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: third earth
Posts: 4,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
"If people would only listen and obey"... Well that sounds to me like someone who's never run into one of those bunch spoiling bad apples.

Were it that we were all so lucky.
I have unfortunate run into two bad cops in my life, but I did not pick a fight with them despite them wronging me/breaking the law.
__________________
GT:Reedeamer
THE TECHNODROME REDESIGN 2015
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=51594
Redeemer is offline  
Old 03-25-2018, 09:45 AM   #78
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor
 
ProphetofGanja's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Dub Side of the Moon
Posts: 2,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
Spoiler:
I think I actually can tell you since I have seen and experienced it first hand. I don't think you have a clue what sacrifice most officers make.

But also I don't think I am misinterpreting the facts or stats. I have spent numerous hours with this very issue. If you could please explain how I am miss interpreting the data that would be great, instead of just telling me I am wrong..... Thats gets us now where


I honestly think that politics are more of a driving force behind the minnesota incident than any, due to the fact it was a Australian National killed.

But also you are going extreme with the Germany Comparisons. My point being is if a cop wants to talk to you you should not run. That way this situation could have been avoided.



I feel like you a just not reading my post at this point or I did not make it quite clear in the first place. I was trying to explain that black minorities in this country had such a disadvantage when it comes resources and education that it is ridiculous. I was suggesting that proper community resources and better education would help tone down the disparaging difference in economic and crime stats. Lower crime stats means less likely to have run ins with police officers, Better education and resources means better quality of life.


I think all lives matter...Life is the most sacred thing in the world and should only be taken as a last resort. Its really weird that you say "White People" are arrested unharmed when infant I posted a link show a cop killing a white guy that was literally unarmed on the ground but now is crying over it. I am frankly quite tired of this Narrative of Cop vs Black People, Black vs Blue that everyone seems to be focused on...Its ridiculous how the media is dividing this country.

I am going to try list my Basic Points Below Again....
-We need a National Standard for Police Officer Training.
-All States Should have a special prosecutor to investigate and prosecute police shootings
-We need to teach kids in school to never fight a police officer and how to interact with police.

Prophet I am really not trying to take a side and I have my own bias and tendency like anyone else, but I am trying to find solutions to this problem...
I don't know how to explain statistics to you to make you understand that if black people, who make up a considerably smaller percentage of the US population, face far greater rates of police intervention, brutality, and shootings than other races, that there is some type of disparity there. I guess you're placing the blame on black people themselves, saying that they're bringing it on themselves rather than seeing it as a result of the modern police force being an extension of runaway slave patrols or protection rackets.

Don't worry, I read your posts in their entirety. You're saying that black people are disadvantaged so let's increase "proper community resources", which to me just sounds like you want to increase police presence and enact things like curfew laws or stop-and-frisk policies.

Yes, "all lives matter". But the whole point of the Black Lives Matter movement is that black people are killed by police at a disparate rate, while white people in similar situations are typically brought in alive, taken down with nonlethal means. Yes, some white people have been shot by the police. There's that terrible video of the guy in the hotel who allegedly pointed something out of the window and was crawling towards the office on his hands and knees and then the cop shot him anyways (warning, the video is disturbing). That is unacceptable. But still, the fact is that black people are shot at far greater rates. They got shot walking down the street, minding their own business, shopping at Walmart, even for having a broken taillight. Unacceptable.

Alright well, I'm not going to continue trying to explain complex sociological issues to somebody who doesn't believe in evolution. I wish you all the best in this thread, I'm going back to the comics subforum.

ProphetofGanja is offline  
Old 03-25-2018, 11:44 AM   #79
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!
 
MsMarvelDuckie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Posts: 7,299
Prophet, I don't know where you're getting the idea that he wants curfews, frisking, or any of that bullhockey, or that he misread statistics. He has said nothing of the sort in any of his posts. What he means (and it's quite obvious from context alone) is that communities should work toward EDUCATING and COUNCELING and HELPING those of minorities in poorer neighborhoods to improve consitions so that thwy will not feel a need to resort to illegal activities to survive, and to improve safety and sekf esteem, which are really at the root of the issue. He is saying that people should be TAUGHT that police are there to protect and serve the community, and are not the "enemy", as is the current mindset. Cops should likewise be trained to treat such people just as they would anyone else, and to not be so quick to pull a gun out when facing minorities. How you can so grossly misinterpret that as wanting "more police and stricter rules for minoritie" is beyond me.

I know you have a lot of conspiracy theory ideas about "the Man", but honestly, most police are NOT like that. Most are decent people just trying to do a difficult and often dangerous job for little appreciation from those they serve. There is no police agenda to keep minorities down or whatever. We are living in 2018, not 1918. That kind of thinking is purely based on media-spun divisive propaganda at best, not real-world interactions between the vast majority of people with the law enforcement in their communities.
__________________
"You IDIOTS! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -from "Spaceballs"

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics (including TMNT!!) are here:

http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_C...?showforum=188
MsMarvelDuckie is offline  
Old 03-25-2018, 11:53 AM   #80
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 7,803
Most police are decent people. I've got some in my family.
But some police aren't decent people. I've got some in my family.

The problems come when the departments do their damnedest to protect those bad apples. When they're kept on the streets, when they shouldn't be.

This is only magnified by the fact that many departments don't have the training to defuse high risk situations, and so they resort to violence to set the situation straight.

They're getting military equipment, but not the proper training.

Yes, I agree it's a dangerous job, but it's a job they've decided to do. They're supposed to be the Adults in the situation. And while most are, there are some that aren't.

If departments across the US truly want people to trust the police implicitly, then they need to be more transparent in dealing with the Few Bad Apples.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
cybercubed is justice, cybercubed the policeman

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.