The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Music

Notices

Old 03-19-2019, 03:59 AM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

Pantera

Might as well make threads for some of my favourite metal bands that are big enough to deserve their own threads

Pantera was originally a glam metal band, but only became notorious around 1990 when they switched to "groove metal" with Cowboys From Hell. After NWOBHM and the American thrash metal city began to cool off, here comes Pantera with a fresh image and sound.

To me Pantera were a pretty good band when they were at the top of their game. Some of my favouritesongs:

Cowboys From Hell
Psycho Holiday
Medicine Man(VERY UNDERRATED)
Message in Blood
Clash With Reality
I'm Broken
This Love
Regular People (yes, I know the "I FIGHT FOR LOVE, MY BROTHER!" line is cheesy)
Floods
Psycho Holiday
Floods
Shattered
Hollow
Cemetery Gates

I think Cowboys From hell is their best album from top to bottom. There's not a single song in that album that I skip or don't like much. I don't even skip Primal Concrete Sledge.

What about you? Do you like Pantera?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:14 AM   #2
newfan
Mad Scientist

Their music is in a heavy category for me, I heard a lot of their music some years back through someone else being a fan of them, couldn't tell you by song titles though.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:15 AM   #3
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
Their music is in a heavy category for me, I heard a lot of their music some years back through someone else being a fan of them, couldn't tell you by song titles though.
Their stuff gets heavier later in their career. Cowboys From hell still retains subtle elements from their glam days. Vulgar Display of Power is the definite switch to a heavier sound.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:33 AM   #4
Whatswiththeheadbands?
The Weed of Crime

I have an unpopular mindset and opinion when it comes to Pantera. I can't stand anything they did after 'Power Metal' (which is a great album), and I can happily listen to 'Glamtera'.

Other than that, I don't like them
Old 03-21-2019, 03:35 AM   #5
TMNT_1987
Random Punk

Yes a big fan here! Didn't know anything about them until Far Beyond Driven dropped and they were playing I'm Broken on heavy rotation on MTV.

Picked up Vulgar & CFH a few years later and i would say Vulgar is my favourite. Loved the DVD they brought out to.
TMNT_1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 11:38 AM   #6
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatswiththeheadbands? View Post
I have an unpopular mindset and opinion when it comes to Pantera. I can't stand anything they did after 'Power Metal' (which is a great album), and I can happily listen to 'Glamtera'.

Actually, that's something that initially surprised me when I began talking with other metal fans online: the fact that a lot of metalheads either dislike or absolutely hate Pantera. I've never met anyone who likes hard rock or metal irl who doesn't like Pantera at all.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:43 AM   #7
Karai
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatswiththeheadbands? View Post

I love Glamtera. And I love Power Metal - I think We'll Meet Again is one of my favorites - It's certainly my favorite Dime solo ever.

I also love the groovy, dirty, slimy Pantera. Kinda rare to find a band that gets multiple styles just right.
Old 03-30-2019, 03:00 PM   #8
Prowler
Emperor

I don't really care for Glamtera, although Power Metal has some good stuff in it.

I don't pretend that era never existed or anything, but I treat that era and their Groove era as two completely separate things, as if they were two different bands.

Funny you guys mention their Glam era, because some of the criticism Pantera haters use against the band is the fact they were a Glam band for some years and only switched to a heavier sound around the time Glam began losing steam. But I think it's dumb to use that against Pantera. I mean, Alice in Chains, the heaviest of the biggest Grunge bands of its time started out as a Glam band, and yet NO ONE cares about that. So why do some people care so much that Pantera were once a Glam band and then became a "tough guy" band?
Old 03-30-2019, 09:41 PM   #9
Barkworm
Super Moderator

Never got into them even though I am a fan of Phil Anselmo as a vocalist (read: ONLY as a vocalist, that guy is a real weirdo).
Barkworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 06:09 AM   #10
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkworm View Post
Never got into them even though I am a fan of Phil Anselmo as a vocalist (read: ONLY as a vocalist, that guy is a real weirdo).
I dunno if "weirdo" is the right word to describe him. More like former drug addict and guy with anger management issues?
Old 03-31-2019, 06:47 AM   #11
Leo656
The Franchise

If someone told me, "Phil Anselmo's body mass is 60% cocaine", I might actually believe it.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 07:55 AM   #12
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
If someone told me, "Phil Anselmo's body mass is 60% cocaine", I might actually believe it.
Tbh it's surprising he's still alive. Then again so is Keith Richards.