The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 12-25-2017, 11:36 AM   #21
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Huh. That's news to me. Must not be very popular in my area because I have never seen anyone with it. (Hunter is by far the most common name here....) If the chart is accurate though, it would probably coincide more with kids who grew up with DiCaprio being such a popular actor having their own kids.
Yeah, Titanic came out in 1997 which was 20 years ago. Most people my age (I was like 12 when it came out), are now in our early 30's having kids. So I can see why, especially a lot of mothers had crushes on Leonardo Dicaprio in their teenage years.

While the rest of us mostly think of Leonardo from TMNT.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 04:11 PM   #22
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Actually, outside of Italy, I'm pretty sure it's not all that common. DiCaprio has made it slightly more popular in recent years, but yeah, a lot of people WILL think of the Turtles!
No idea how common it is in other countries. I've met a few Leonardos here, but it's certainly not the most common name here. Doubt they were named after DiCaprio anyway. By the time they were born/named DiCaprio was a nobody still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post

While the rest of us mostly think of Leonardo from TMNT.
Those 4 names only make me think of the TMNT. Hell if you ask someone who Michelangelo(the sistine chapel guy) was, SOMEONE is bound to make the old joke "one of the Ninja Turtles right?"
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 06:14 PM   #23
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
No idea how common it is in other countries. I've met a few Leonardos here, but it's certainly not the most common name here. Doubt they were named after DiCaprio anyway. By the time they were born/named DiCaprio was a nobody still.

Those 4 names only make me think of the TMNT. Hell if you ask someone who Michelangelo(the sistine chapel guy) was, SOMEONE is bound to make the old joke "one of the Ninja Turtles right?"

Not sure about over there, but he's STILL a pretty big name star here. The Ocean's movies and others in recent years have kept his name pretty well-known.

I hate to say it guys, but outside of us big Turtle fans, most people are more likely to think of either the artist or the actor with a name like Leo. Maybe a few would think of the turtle if they remember the cartoons, but most won't.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 07:03 PM   #24
CyberCubed
Overlord

If you mean those Ocean 11 movies with Brad Pitt/George Clooney, that's Matt Damon in those movies, not Leonardo.

Leonardo Dicaprio's two recent big movies was "The Revenant" where he was stranded in a blizzard snowstorm and had to survive, and he was in Django Unchained a Quentin Tarantino movie. He's still in a lot of movies these days.

It's kind of ironic though to consider someone like Leonardo Dicaprio "not a big star" anymore, given how huge Titanic was. Probably the biggest movie of the 90's. Man, the young kids of today born in the 2000's don't know anything about old stars.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 12:49 PM   #25
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Not sure about over there, but he's STILL a pretty big name star here. The Ocean's movies and others in recent years have kept his name pretty well-known.

I hate to say it guys, but outside of us big Turtle fans, most people are more likely to think of either the artist or the actor with a name like Leo. Maybe a few would think of the turtle if they remember the cartoons, but most won't.
Huh? I didn't say he was no longer relevant. I said by the time those two guys I've met named Leonardo were born, DiCaprio was a nobody still. Meaning they were born before Titanic came out.

As for me thinking of the Ninja Turtles when the name "Leonardo" pops up... well that's obviously because I am a Ninja Turtle fan. It'd be odd if I didn't associate the name with the Ninja Turtle. I don't really follow DiCaprio's career, so it's not like he's on my mind often.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 02:38 PM   #26
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Eh, ultimately I think the inventor/painter, mutant ninja, and actor are probably the top three famous guys that would come to mind for most. Enough that I've off and on come across things where one of the three was mentioned and it was clarified that they didn't mean one or both of the other two.

I hunted down a few gems for the fun of it...

Quote:
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/moder...do-actoror-joe

A modern-day resume for the world's most famous Leonardo (not the actor...or the turtle)

Quote:
http://internetmedicine.com/2013/12/...yphasic-sleep/

So, you’ve heard of Leonardo? No, not the turtle!

Quote:
http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/5549...lands/?ref=arc

JAMES Zabiela is a nerd with a lust for chocolate and a soft spot for Leonardo - the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle, not the painter!

Quote:
http://ultimanova.weebly.com/review-...s-creed-2.html

Without giving too much away I can say that the game reminds me greatly of the movie "Zorro" and that Leonardo - not the turtle - Da Vinci and Mario - not the plumber - are important characters in the story.
Quote:
https://hackaday.com/2014/07/13/a-fu...-mind-blowing/

Comments from article: A Fully Mechanical 3D Printer is Mind Blowing

Fik of Borg says:
July 13, 2014 at 7:01 am

Brilliant. One can imagine it made of wood, leather and catgut, and Leonardo (the italian, not the turtle) standing satisfied beside it.

Foobar Bazbot says:
July 13, 2014 at 7:22 am

If one can’t imagine Leonardo (the turtle, not the italian) standing satisfied beside it, one lacks imagination.

pcf11 says:
July 13, 2014 at 7:28 am

Kowabunga!

Fik of Borg says:
July 13, 2014 at 7:29 am

In fact, the moment I thought of Leonardo (the italian), the mental image that came up was that of the other Leonardo (the turtle). That is why I clarified

Shannon says:
July 13, 2014 at 11:08 am

I thought of Leonardo (the actor). Poor guy was confused

Nova says:
July 14, 2014 at 11:15 am

Printception?

Sugapes says:
July 15, 2014 at 4:43 am

Leonardo (the turtle) would use it to 3D print a pizza!!

From one of those fake feeling "health" sites, an article about quitting smoking and knocking out cravings/boredom triggers (and I guess tips on fighting it):

Quote:
Unleash your inner Leonardo (not the turtle). There are a series of books on learning to sketch called 5-Minute Sketching.

Quote:
http://www.vahjewelry.com/about.asp

Valerie's goal is to take the initiative and make history. To paraphrase Leonardo (the artist, not the turtle), things do not happen to Valerie. Valerie happens to things.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote