The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 12-04-2014, 06:09 PM   #21
pennydreadful
trash

Shame, because I really did love Ninjara.

Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 06:49 PM   #22
Luckyday
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennydreadful View Post
Shame, because I really did love Ninjara.
What did Ninjara brought to the table other then being Raph's girlfriend?
We’re not unicorns!
WE’RE WOMEN AND WE TAKE WHAT WE WANT!
-Wendy Corduroy, Gravity Falls
Luckyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 07:19 PM   #23
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyday View Post
What did Ninjara brought to the table other then being Raph's girlfriend?
Being a bad ass ninja for one.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:21 PM   #24
Luckyday
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Being a bad ass ninja for one.
Being a bad ass can only give you such a short life expectancy.
#RulesofStorytelling
We’re not unicorns!
WE’RE WOMEN AND WE TAKE WHAT WE WANT!
-Wendy Corduroy, Gravity Falls
Luckyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 09:24 PM   #25
John Pannozzi
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Eeeehhhh, I think Murphy/Allan retain the rights to the character. I suspect that might have been the point of Alopex, to have Ninjara without risking a lawsuit.
Murphy told me that he sold Ninjara to Mirage right before the sale to Nick.

Some other notes:

John Totleban did the covers to the Casey Jones miniseries (which itself is technically co-owned by Rick Veitch and Viacom because Eastman worked on it), and I have no idea if he did them as work-for-hire or not.

I'm not entirely sure if Mike Gaydos's contributions to the Turtle Soup short he did with Dan Berger were work-for-hire or not.
Originally Posted by Bergerjacques
It was definitely not a kid's book.
That was the thing that always mystified me about the turn the franchise took when Eastman and Laird licensed the cartoon and the parallel comic book published by the same outfit that gave us Archie. The turtles' original origin story? The whole thing hinges on a for-Christ's-sake rape-murder!!!!
from here.
John Pannozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 02:54 PM   #26
GodzFire
Hench Mutant

We need to track down exactly who owns the music rights to the OT soundtrack so we can get them to put out a release or contact the original composers and bribe them to post the tracks.

I would drop some serious money to make this happen.
GodzFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 03:03 PM   #27
Venom
Space Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodzFire View Post
We need to track down exactly who owns the music rights to the OT soundtrack so we can get them to put out a release or contact the original composers and bribe them to post the tracks.

I would drop some serious money to make this happen.
Wouldn't Fred Wolf own those rights?

I know Chuck Lorre was salty over not being paid royalties by Wolf after the show gained popularity.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:57 PM   #28
John Pannozzi
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Wouldn't Fred Wolf own those rights?
AFAIK, yes.
That was the thing that always mystified me about the turn the franchise took when Eastman and Laird licensed the cartoon and the parallel comic book published by the same outfit that gave us Archie. The turtles' original origin story? The whole thing hinges on a for-Christ's-sake rape-murder!!!!
from here.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:36 PM   #29
sdp
Megan Fox = April

We've had this thread before but glad to see it re-resurrected, its always an interesting topic. Are we sure Mirage owns TNM characters? We've never seen any of them outside TNM and many of them were worthy of a second chance. I do remember reading that some of the Archie characters had ambiguous ownership like Ninjara. I also remember a dromer suggested that from the original show maybe they only owned characters drawn by Mirage and any generic mad scientist or mobster could technically not be owned by Mirage. Not a huge loss but still worthy pointing out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pannozzi View Post
Keno, Prof. Jordan Perry, Chief Sterns and Tatsu (Northshore Investments used to own them, and I can't find any information to suggest that that's changed).
Why wouldn't they? They own Tokka/Rahzar and we the Genesis TMNT game had Tatsu and I doubt they'd license just for that one minor character from the first movie years later for a videogame when they had tons of more relevant characters for free. I do remember reading that they said they didn't have Tatsu as a character they could use for the Nick show but I might be making that up.

Quote:
Aska from the Tournament Fighters game. Also, I don't think they own Sisyphus, either.
Yeah I think Aska not being owned by Mirage could point to the other Konami original villains being owned by Konami..
Wasn't Aska in another Konami game also?
I really liked her even if she is a generic female Ninja and no sisyphus? Who will hump the turtles now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
* Characters from Las Tortugas Ninjas
Las Tortugas Ninja just re-drew the Archie comic but later did some original stories. Since I moved to Mexico I've tried getting issues or more information about this comic but literally no one remembers it, the company that did it also hasn't existed in almost two decades, so if they created any cool original characters they'll be lost to time since no one knows.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 11:04 PM   #30
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Nick doesn't own or have rights to the OT? Weird.

They used them in the current cartoon which I guess could just be general permission. So they couldn't air the cartoon if they wanted to? They'd have to get permission?

Does that mean the OT could just as easily end up on Boomerang? That's funny. Well Next Mutation was on the HUB so not that surprising I guess.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:19 PM   #31
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
Nick doesn't own or have rights to the OT? Weird.

They used them in the current cartoon which I guess could just be general permission. So they couldn't air the cartoon if they wanted to? They'd have to get permission?

Does that mean the OT could just as easily end up on Boomerang? That's funny. Well Next Mutation was on the HUB so not that surprising I guess.
They don't own the actual OT episodes. They could use any character from the original cartoon even re-using their designs (as they have), but they don't own the actual episodes.

Nick can't air the original toon on TV or make their own DVDs of it, its owned by Lionsgate.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 11:37 PM   #32
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Ya but do they own the OT designs? There's a lot of OT merchandise with Nicks name on it.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:57 AM   #33
GodzFire
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Nick can't air the original toon on TV or make their own DVDs of it, its owned by Lionsgate.
Who like to put out half-ass releases.
GodzFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 12:00 PM   #34
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
Ya but do they own the OT designs? There's a lot of OT merchandise with Nicks name on it.
Obviously, that's how both 4kids and Nick were able to design the Turtles looking practically identical to the OT's animation in both Turtles Forever and their cameo in Nick Season 2.

I'm sure Nick would love to rerun the original cartoon on TV, they just can't do it unless they partner with Lionsgate.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:49 PM   #35
John Pannozzi
Stone Warrior

Dan Berger just told me that Mirage didn't own the TMNT anime or manga or any characters originating from them.
from here.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:08 PM   #36
miru
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
I'm pretty sure he also suspected the majority were just rejected toy designs.
I'm now starting to think Nickelodeon doesn't own at least some of the abandoned toys/characters. Ryan Brown still owns a chunk of the rejected Mutanimals characters created for the unmade series. However, they probably do own the scrapped 2007 line figures, as Mirage were pretty strict with work-for-hire contracts by then. Did the restrictions also apply to Titan Magazines?
Old 05-01-2016, 08:26 PM   #37
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Well for the most part they own everything except minor characters from niche products. It's sad that we won't see some of them since I do like them but their chances of appearing even if they owned them were also minimal ironically enough.

I understand not wanting to buy all those characters separately from all these companies since they're not important but buying the OT can't be that expensive for what it represents; I don't understand why these huge companies don't pony up the cash for their legacy. It's like Nintendo not wanting to pay rights for the Donkey Kong arcade game and would rather release the terrible NES port. Sure they might not make that money back but it's their legacy. Disney understood this and their CEO Bob Iger made a deal to get Oswald the Lucky Rabbit back.

Is it that difficult to make a solid contract that says "Any character created for this franchise is the property of _____". I'm all for creators getting credit and owning stuff they create but not when they're working on another property. We get stuff like Ken Panders who created all these characters in the Sonic comic that are pretty much stock Sonic looking characters/clones and then sues Sega/Archie for using his characters and he actually won and now has his own comic with those characters that are right out of any sonic universe.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:55 PM   #38
miru
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Well for the most part they own everything except minor characters from niche products. It's sad that we won't see some of them since I do like them but their chances of appearing even if they owned them were also minimal ironically enough.

I understand not wanting to buy all those characters separately from all these companies since they're not important but buying the OT can't be that expensive for what it represents; I don't understand why these huge companies don't pony up the cash for their legacy. It's like Nintendo not wanting to pay rights for the Donkey Kong arcade game and would rather release the terrible NES port. Sure they might not make that money back but it's their legacy. Disney understood this and their CEO Bob Iger made a deal to get Oswald the Lucky Rabbit back.

Is it that difficult to make a solid contract that says "Any character created for this franchise is the property of _____". I'm all for creators getting credit and owning stuff they create but not when they're working on another property. We get stuff like Ken Panders who created all these characters in the Sonic comic that are pretty much stock Sonic looking characters/clones and then sues Sega/Archie for using his characters and he actually won and now has his own comic with those characters that are right out of any sonic universe.
To be fair, Nintendo's settlement with the devs came out on undisclosed terms which may prevent any future official release whatsoever, but that was decades ago. Banjo-Kazooie is a better example.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:13 PM   #39
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
For real! Dang ol Penders... But I guess it's ultimately Archie/Sega's faults for their negligence on paperwork to protect their IPs.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:50 PM   #40
CyberCubed
Overlord

Regarding TMNT, does it really matter that Nick doesn't own some obscure TMNT character that was either never produced or never heard of?

Literally all the major Fred Wolf characters, toy characters, 2k3 series characters, and Mirage characters are usable in either the Nick cartoon or IDW comic. So what difference does it make?

Tags
nick, nickelodeon, paramount pictures