The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 08-09-2014, 03:14 PM   #1061
MajorViolence
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH View Post
It's half an exchange.

CIA - "If I pull that mask off, will you die?"

Bane - "It will be extremely painful..."

CIA: "What, you're a big guy."

Bane - "...for you."

Sounds a bit more sickening and evil.
I have a feeling snake never realized those were two halves of a full sentence until now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MogwaiNinja89 View Post
Nah, he's annoying as all get out. Glad you like him though.
Nah, Phelous is fantastic and an entertaining critic. But we can keep stating personal opinions as facts all day. I've got nothing to do this afternoon.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:22 PM   #1062
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorViolence View Post
I have a feeling snake never realized those were two halves of a full sentence until now.

Nah, Phelous is fantastic and an entertaining critic. But we can keep stating personal opinions as facts all day. I've got nothing to do this afternoon.
No, I did. It was just so oddly put together. Why couldn't it just go

BANE- It would be extremely painful....For You

Instead of CIA's unneeded line.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:24 PM   #1063
The True Shredder
Foot Soldier

Seriously...

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydbanks7 View Post
If you cherry pick half of a sequence of dialogue sure, you can make it seem bad. I mean what you put there, out of context makes 0 sense. You need the whole conversation.

This is where I agree with you, this country is so scared to offend that now everything that is said or done is looked at under a microscope. I was listening to a podcast that interviewed the director of Skyline, and he said he had to make the alien's brains two colors because that's what the MPAA demanded, or the movie would be NC-17. I heard they cut the elevator scene down because it looks like Leo is twerking, and the MPAA would have given it an R rating. The amount of violence that is allowed in PG-13 movies is ridiculous, as long as it doesn't have naughty language or boobs. We all know words and sex will crush our children...it's ridiculous.

It's gotten so bad now people just get offended by dumb things like Mikey hitting on April...but it's totally ok for the GoTG movie focus on Zoe Saldana's ass every time she walked up steps...which was A LOT in that movie for some reason. People just like to pick and choose things to be offended at now.
Just because you put your OPINIONS into a statement doesn't make it fact. I can't stress this enoigh with you. Maybe you should THINK before you post.
The True Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:36 PM   #1064
Purse Grabbin Puke
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The True Shredder View Post
Just because you put your OPINIONS into a statement doesn't make it fact. I can't stress this enoigh with you. Maybe you should THINK before you post.
Hey dude, where the eff am I saying that I'm stating facts, it's pretty clear here, we're all giving our opinions... Don't try and scold me because you can't understand someone is giving an opinion. Just because I have confidence in what I'm talking about doesn't mean I'm claiming it to be fact.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:49 PM   #1065
JTH
"ME"

I respect everyone's opinion and if you like the movie, that's great.

That said, this movie just doesn't do anything for me.

Being a TMNT fan and seeing TMNT movie is about wanting to see the people who are making the film put their love and passion into this movie they care about. I felt none of that. I only felt their passion and caring about making another dollar, and it's a shame because this is the 30th Anniversary of Turtles for crying out loud and now I'm a part of investing into it a product made by people who only care about the green, and I'm not talking about the color of the Turtles.

Last edited by JTH; 08-09-2014 at 03:54 PM.
JTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:50 PM   #1066
The True Shredder
Foot Soldier

Contradictory

Quote:
Hey dude, where the eff am I saying that I'm stating facts, it's pretty clear here, we're all giving our opinions... Don't try and scold me because you can't understand someone is giving an opinion. Just because I have confidence in what I'm talking about doesn't mean I'm claiming it to be fact.
Last time I checked when you put your opinions into statements without who you are stating ot to it comes off as you trying to make your statements into a fact. But now with you clearing it up now I see your problem is not claiming your opinions as fact its more you can't word your opinions correctly...are you still learning basic English Structual Sentences perhaps?
Old 08-09-2014, 04:11 PM   #1067
Purse Grabbin Puke
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Last time I checked when you put your opinions into statements without who you are stating ot to it comes off as you trying to make your statements into a fact. But now with you clearing it up now I see your problem is not claiming your opinions as fact its more you can't word your opinions correctly...are you still learning basic English Structual Sentences perhaps?
I'm not going to turn this into "no you are" argument, but you just accused me of not knowing how to form sentences, while not being able to form a sentence.

You might have a low reading comprehension level. I am offering my opinion to someone by putting that person's quote in my post. So I'm not sure where the confusion is. It's not my problem that you cannot comprehend. I have not told anyone their opinion is wrong. I offer my opinion in hopes to maybe change theirs. As I hope by reading other's opinions that my own will be changed. My opinions have been altered many times the last few days by healthy discussions with some people. Then there are others who simple just repeat bland statements and offer no real opinion or explain their gripes.

If you want me to start every thought I have by "in my opinion" then you might want to put me on mute because I will not treat you like a baby and spoon feed you. If you cannot handle healthy debates, then I suggest you go elsewhere.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:30 PM   #1068
The True Shredder
Foot Soldier

No

Quote:
I'm not going to turn this into "no you are" argument, but you just accused me of not knowing how to form sentences, while not being able to form a sentence.

You might have a low reading comprehension level. I am offering my opinion to someone by putting that person's quote in my post. So I'm not sure where the confusion is. It's not my problem that you cannot comprehend. I have not told anyone their opinion is wrong. I offer my opinion in hopes to maybe change theirs. As I hope by reading other's opinions that my own will be changed. My opinions have been altered many times the last few days by healthy discussions with some people. Then there are others who simple just repeat bland statements and offer no real opinion or explain their gripes.

If you want me to start every thought I have by "in my opinion" then you might want to put me on mute because I will not treat you like a baby and spoon feed you. If you cannot handle healthy debates, then I suggest you go elsewhere.
No. You are in the fault here. Yes you start off by saying its your opinion but how much of it is? If its all than why bother even posting if yo u don't have any facts to back up your claim? You expect people to blindly follow your opinion becauseit makes sense to you? Is it some? Because if its some than how is the reader supposed to know what you are saying is fact or opinion? Sigh..and I'm the one that lacks Reading Comprehension. :/
Old 08-09-2014, 04:32 PM   #1069
Ninja Tiptup
Mad Scientist

Super hero movies don't have to be Nolan-esque to be good. In fact we've all seen what happens when you try to hard to make a super hero dark in Man of Steel.

Guardian's of the Galaxy was goofy fun. Avengers has a paper-thin story but all the characters playing off each other made it a delight for me. The original Iron Man didn't have a particularly interesting villain and was still a great flick. The Sam Raimi Spider-Man movies are campy as hell and the first two are still highly regarded. All it takes for these movies to work is to have people working on them that give a crap.

I will give them props for doing a decent job with the turtles when they were around. The scenes when they were growing up were cute and the only thing out of character was Mikey's fixation on April. Otherwise they got the personalities down. Still hardly felt like you got a chance to get to know them though.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:38 PM   #1070
Purse Grabbin Puke
Stone Warrior

Quote:
No. You are in the fault here. Yes you start off by saying its your opinion but how much of it is? If its all than why bother even posting if yo u don't have any facts to back up your claim? You expect people to blindly follow your opinion becauseit makes sense to you? Is it some? Because if its some than how is the reader supposed to know what you are saying is fact or opinion? Sigh..and I'm the one that lacks Reading Comprehension. :/
Yes you are apparently the only one who lacks reading comprehension, because even with your horrible attempt at making words makes sense I somehow understand what you are saying.

I offer opinions like EVERY other person here is doing. But when people say things like the turtles don't appear for 45 minutes, or April is the protagonist, I can use facts, because I saw the movie, and say no, they appear in the first 10 minutes, and no April is not the protagonist. I state an opinion and back it up with things that actually happened in the movie.

You attacked me by saying I'm stating facts. Then when I say I'm offering opinions, you turn around and say, well why even post an opinion with out facts. Which is it?

Again, I think (this is an opinion, see? I said "I think", so this won't be a fact, it's just my thought. Ok?) you are confusing confidence in my opinion and fact claiming as one in the same. I'm not just spewing the same phrases like a lot of people here do like "no plot, cliche villains, shredder was pasted in last minute" and offer no other explanations to their complaints.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:48 PM   #1071
Ninja Tiptup
Mad Scientist

How is April not the lead protagonist?

She is the driving force of the story, is present in the majority of scenes and has the most personal victories throughout.

She finds the turtles, she figures out why they exist, she figures out why and how her father died, she gets to take down Sacks and even gets a few licks in on The Shredder.

It's not as blatant as Transformers when it comes to taking the focus away from the title characters but you can't honestly believe this movie did not focus on April.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:51 PM   #1072
Xiewin
Stone Warrior

April was obviously the main character in the movie.
Xiewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 04:54 PM   #1073
Werter85
Mouser

Just saw it near an US Airbase in Ramstein. German release is in 2 months... Movie was awesome as hell!!! The 3D was impressive, since me and my girlfriend sometimes twinkled because of eome flying objects. Will watch the german release again.
Werter85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 04:56 PM   #1074
Purse Grabbin Puke
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Tiptup View Post
How is April not the lead protagonist?

She is the driving force of the story, is present in the majority of scenes and has the most personal victories throughout.

She finds the turtles, she figures out why they exist, she figures out why and how her father died, she gets to take down Sacks and even gets a few licks in on The Shredder.

It's not as blatant as Transformers when it comes to taking the focus away from the title characters but you can't honestly believe this movie did not focus on April.
I just don't see it that way, so we can agree to disagree. However, she pretty much disappears half way through the movie only showing up with small lines like "Donnie what do I do" and screaming, and screaming "RAPHAEL!!!" then she whispers "you killed my dad" There was never any focus on how much of a loss her father was to her, and everything switches quickly from focus on the Foot Clan to focus on who these vigilante's are. I never felt April's story was important, or her life was even important. Sacks and Shredder don't even care about her, they only care about the Turtles.

I think they were trying to re-create the 1990 movie by having them be in the shadows at first and be a mystery. Only problem is, we all know what they are and who they are. I think if this ever gets rebooted they should throw out that whole mysterious beginnings to them, just do a straight origin like Spider-Man, Daredevil, Green Lantern, Man of Steel all did which is just show them right off the bat. If you do the Hamoto Yoshi origin, just start from there, no flash backs, only do a flash forward after setting up the story.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:14 PM   #1075
Ninja Tiptup
Mad Scientist

You're right, Sacks and Shredder don't care about her. Not after she leads them to the turtles. They need the turtles for their plan, not her.

There's a hint of her emotions toward her father when she's watching the old videos but that's yet another element this movie just throws out there and doesn't do much of anything with. The Amazing Spider-Man was somewhat guilty of that as well but you at least got to see Peter bitter about the whole ordeal with his parents and Aunt May gripping with burden of thinking Richard Parker did something deplorable. You do not get any of that kind of emotional interest here.

This movie introduces a lot of ideas and does not flesh them out. It was neat to hear Sacks grew up in Japan, how about you do something with that? Why is he Shredder's pupil? We apparently do not need to know that either. There is probably a very obvious reason why those elements of the story feel incomplete and I think we all know what it is.

They kept the story simple. That's fine. But give the audience more of a reason to care and even a simple story can resonate well.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:15 PM   #1076
Joey Kamikaze
Stone Warrior

This thread reminds me of the way Star Wars fans tore each other new ones over whether or not The Phantom Menace was any good when it first came out.

Quote:
This movie introduces a lot of ideas and does not flesh them out. It was neat to hear Sacks grew up in Japan, how about you do something with that? Why is he Shredder's pupil? We apparently do not need to know that either. There is probably a very obvious reason why those elements of the story feel incomplete and I think we all know what it is.
You know, something that stood out to me when I was watching the movie was that Shredder's presence is extraneous. We don't need him in the movie at all except as someone for Splinter and the turtles to fight in a couple scenes. He exists for the action sequences but he's mostly inconsequential to the plot because Sacks is really the main villain of the movie. Shredder may supposedly have been his trainer/father figure, but he and the Foot come across as more like Sacks' lackeys. That if nothing else makes me think Sacks was originally supposed to be Shredder and making them two separate characters was a fairly late change to the story.

In retrospect, I kinda feel like Shredder : TMNT (2014) :: Bane : Batman and Robin

Last edited by Jester; 08-09-2014 at 05:27 PM. Reason: 2x posts
Joey Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 05:23 PM   #1077
Ninja Tiptup
Mad Scientist

The video game all but confirms that to be the case though it might have been working off an early draft of the script and certainly deviates from the story.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:23 PM   #1078
sethmartin
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Kamikaze View Post
You know, something that stood out to me when I was watching the movie was that Shredder's presence is extraneous. We don't need him in the movie at all except as someone for Splinter and the turtles to fight in a couple scenes. He exists for the action sequences but he's mostly inconsequential to the plot because Sacks is really the main villain of the movie. Shredder may supposedly have been his trainer/father figure, but he and the Foot come across as more like Sacks' lackeys. That if nothing else makes me think Sacks was originally supposed to be Shredder and making them two separate characters was a fairly late change to the story.
Because Sacks was suppose to be Shredder but the shoehorned in an Asian actor during post.
sethmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 05:24 PM   #1079
Purse Grabbin Puke
Stone Warrior

Quote:
You're right, Sacks and Shredder don't care about her. Not after she leads them to the turtles. They need the turtles for their plan, not her.

There's a hint of her emotions toward her father when she's watching the old videos but that's yet another element this movie just throws out there and doesn't do much of anything with. The Amazing Spider-Man was somewhat guilty of that as well but you at least got to see Peter bitter about the whole ordeal with his parents and Aunt May gripping with burden of thinking Richard Parker did something deplorable. You do not get any of that kind of emotional interest here.

They kept the story simple. That's fine. But give the audience more of a reason to care and even a simple story can resonate well.
I like the movie very much but it's not perfect. I did a top 10 list in another thread, and I have it as the 10th best movie of the year.

My biggest gripe with the movie is that it's too fast, it's too short. There are a lot of things they could have fleshed out and didn't because they wanted to make it short. I still understood the plot and it wasn't confusing to me, so that's why I just don't completely believe people who claim it was a disaster.

I think what they left in, creates a unique bond between April and the Turtles who historically get in a lot of trouble together, and now that they have a close bond, it will mean something if she REALLY gets in trouble next film.

I hope in the next one Sacks kidnaps her and threatens to mutate her or something like that, forcing the Turtles to fight Shredder and hopefully some mutants we want from da past. I would kind of like it to get back to the 1990 scale of a secret war between the Foot and the Turtles, and not so much a plot to destroy the city.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:30 PM   #1080
ScrewtheMirageTMNT
Hench Mutant

To say that sachs did not care about april, is wrong, I mean he did mind her once she and vernon tried to stop him. Hench him pointing a gun at not just vernon, but her as well. He cared enough to go as far as even trying to kill her.
ScrewtheMirageTMNT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reviews