The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 01-18-2021, 12:28 PM   #1641
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Quite true, hell the Superman II that's almost always repeated on TV remains the Lester Cut, because it was the official theatrical version, and Donner's version remains very much a novelty exclusive to DVD
Although on the flip side, most box sets of the older Superman movies include the Donner Cut of II and NOT Lester's theatrical cut. So I guess it all depends.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 12:39 PM   #1642
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Although on the flip side, most box sets of the older Superman movies include the Donner Cut of II and NOT Lester's theatrical cut. So I guess it all depends.
Really? The Ultimate sets in the UK have always included both Donner and Lester cuts.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 12:56 PM   #1643
Leo656
The Franchise

The first few sets that came out had both, like the big steelcase box but most of the more recent ones over here in the last several years omit the Lester Cut. That includes both high-end Blu-ray releases as well as the cheap "four movies on one disc" sets.

To be fair those movies have been repackaged a hundred times so I'm sure that some of the bigger or more expensive sets still have both cuts, but the one pictured is the one that's most often in stores nowadays. The Lester Cut is apparently not considered the "main" one anymore as far as marketing goes; it turns up but the Donner Cut turns up way more often.

I think most people over here have voted "Pink Bear Cut" off the island. That's fine by me. Superman II is an incredibly flawed and dated piece of work by any measure but at least in the Donner Cut nobody gets hit in the face by ice cream during the climactic fight scene.

Old 01-29-2021, 06:57 AM   #1644
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Snyder Cut drops March 18th

https://www.cnet.com/news/justice-le...x-on-march-18/

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 01-29-2021 at 07:39 AM.
Old 01-29-2021, 10:40 AM   #1645
frank_one
Mad Scientist

I dig the new b/w posters.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 11:38 AM   #1646
AquaParade
Banned

This will be interesting whether I like the movie or not.
I enjoy Man of Steel and BvS quite a bit. Both films are awesome on an audio/visual level, and you can say what you want about Snyder, but he doesn't play it safe. He has a strong vision and works hard to bring it to the audience. I find a lot to appreciate.

That said, I'm not super optimistic about the overall quality of this film. Maybe the stench of the theater cut is just that strong, or maybe it seems irredeemable, I'm not sure.
Going in with an open mind and hoping to love the movie. I know I'll find something to like.

Still, like others have said, the most interesting thing about this film is the production and development of it, and I don't see that changing. Part of me hopes for a documentary one day, but even then, it'd be hard to get the full story without any bias takes. Here's hoping though. I still think this will end up being a bit of a wash for WB financially. This wasn't cheap to make. I've said it before, and since then there have been plenty of reports that HBO MAX has much lower than expected subscribers, and that the Snyder Cut announcement didn't pull in the amount of subscribers they had hoped for. That's why we've seen HBO MAX go absolutely all out in the last few months in regards to the content they are dropping - they're getting desperate and are way behind their competition. Not to mention all the pirating that will surely harm this movie particularly, with the narrative that people already paid to see the thing and got ripped off.

I could go on all day. Again, the movie is interesting, and I'm looking forward to it. But everything surrounding the film itself has become much more interesting to me.

Last edited by AquaParade; 01-29-2021 at 11:47 AM.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 02:58 AM   #1647
ZariusTwo
Overlord

The release date is only one day removed from episode one of Falcon and Winter Soldier, which will be soldiering on for weeks after with new content. A four part mini-series would have given it some competition and longer lasting points of conversation, but throwing the film as a four-hour sitting to pop a short amount of buzz in this fashion feels like a very late 1998 WCW move.
Old 01-30-2021, 03:18 AM   #1648
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I bet when this drops there will be talented people who splice this together with parts of the Whedon cut to make some kind of hybrid cut that's the best of both.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 03:59 AM   #1649
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I bet when this drops there will be talented people who splice this together with parts of the Whedon cut to make some kind of hybrid cut that's the best of both.
Very much what people did with Donner/Lester Superman II cuts.

There's also been some instances of JL fan-cuts that take the little scraps we've seen from Snyder (from prior tv spots, trailers, deleted scenes) and inserted them into the Whedon cut.
Old 01-30-2021, 07:16 AM   #1650
Leo656
The Franchise

That implies there's anything worth keeping from the Whedon cut... I'm not convinced...

I mean are we absolutely wedded to the no-context Superman/Flash race? Or "...Itchy"?

It also sounds like the story beats between the two cuts are so different (despite the broadest strokes of the story being more or less the same), anything from Whedon's version probably wouldn't physically fit. I mean he spent half the movie focusing on a Russian family that doesn't even exist in Snyder's version (which is probably for the best). I don't see any of their respective material meshing well at all.

Old 01-30-2021, 11:23 AM   #1651
ZariusTwo
Overlord

There's also the matter of colour correction. Whedon had red sky around Russia, there's no such thing in Snyder's version.
Old 01-30-2021, 12:20 PM   #1652
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
There's also the matter of colour correction. Whedon had red sky around Russia, there's no such thing in Snyder's version.
Which is ironic because as much as I like Snyder flicks, I can't remember the last time that he made a movie with realistic colors or without extreme backgrounding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I mean are we absolutely wedded to the no-context Superman/Flash race? Or "...Itchy"?
I don't think there was anything wrong with that. Comics are replete with ridiculous elements that, as a fan, you are just supposed to get a kick out of the reference or use of something that is otherwise never going to get a full narrative element. Actually the only element about the race nugget that I didn't like was that Superman flew instead of ran.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 07:35 PM   #1653
Leo656
The Franchise

It was the one and only bit of Whedon's that I was even half-sad about losing, but it's in service to absolutely nothing so I got over it pretty quickly. It's "cute", but... "cute" has absolutely no place in Snyder's DCU, for better or worse. Plus, Superman still has that dodgy upper lip in that scene, so that's totally Anti-Bueno.

As for him flying, most versions of the character state that while he's "super-fast" in general, he can only hit "top speed" when he flies. On-foot, the Flash can generally outpace Superman pretty easily (and ever since the Speed Force became a factor it's really no contest at all), but in-flight Superman can move a lot faster than otherwise. That's why when Mxyzptlk forced them to race once upon a time he stated that Superman would automatically forfeit if he tried to fly.

Thus the implication for the scene in the Whedon Cut of the movie is that they're going for Top Speed vs. Top Speed. On-foot Superman probably wouldn't have much chance.

Of course, since the Snyder Cut of the film reportedly shows Flash managing to time travel... yeah, the "race scene" becomes completely pointless and unusable if Flash being able to run backwards through time at top speed is a plot element. Contrary to what some kids movies from the 1970s would have us believe, Superman can't do that.

So we lose a "cutesy", no-reason race scene fanservice moment, but in return we gain Flash traveling through time as an essential part of the plot. I'll take that and call it a net gain.

Old 02-01-2021, 04:23 AM   #1655
ZariusTwo
Overlord

"Are you sure you're on the right side?"
Old 02-04-2021, 03:14 AM   #1656
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Getting real tired of hearing about "Knightmare Batman."

https://thedirect.com/article/justic...-affleck-promo
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 08:34 AM   #1658
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Getting real tired of hearing about "Knightmare Batman."

https://thedirect.com/article/justic...-affleck-promo
Me too. Especially because, while this is cool, it doesn't look like there will be any future payoff from the story building
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 02:41 PM   #1659
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Snyder shares a brief snippet of Steppenwolf tackling the Amazons, and slaughters one with his battle axe

https://vero.co/zacksnyder/X-BwQrGL3N7nFwFdkB9n3bw2