The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 10-16-2014, 02:22 AM   #1
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist

So has Peter Laird watched and reviewed the 2014 movie yet? If not, when?

With such a divisive reception on the 2014 movie, I'm curious what the original creators of the franchise think. We know that Eastman has approved of this film and its direction, but I'm curious what Laird thinks of it. Have any of you read any of his commentary about the film? If he hasn't yet commented, do any of you know when he will?

I haven't been paying too much attention to the movie forum, and searched through the threads, but nothing came up. On that note, has he watched and commented on the Nick series either?

It's a little odd we haven't heard anything from him about either one though. Hmmm... (Or maybe I haven't been paying much attention about it. )
Refractive Reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 02:32 AM   #2
LeoRaph
Hench Mutant

Not yet, according to his blog dated 9th October this year. Maybe he wants to see it privately to avoid being spotted and bombarded with questions. Or maybe he's hinting at how he really feels.

Quote:
If memory serves, it's been almost a year since I did on of these "Ask PL" posts... so I thought it might be time to do another one. If anyone has any questions, please ask! That is, unless they are questions about whether I have seen the new TMNT movie -- the answer is no, I haven't, and probably won't until it is released on DVD/BluRay.
http://peterlairdstmntblog.blogspot.com.au
LeoRaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:31 AM   #3
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoRaph View Post
Not yet, according to his blog dated 9th October this year. Maybe he wants to see it privately to avoid being spotted and bombarded with questions. Or maybe he's hinting at how he really feels.

Thanks LeoRaph!
Old 10-16-2014, 04:22 PM   #4
LeoRaph
Hench Mutant

All Good Refractive Reflections!
Old 10-16-2014, 05:29 PM   #5
Gunpowder
Stone Warrior

I've been wondering this myself. Thanks for the update.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:35 PM   #6
The Fifth Turtle
Mad Scientist

When he does I'm sure he'll chew it to pieces.
The Fifth Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:08 PM   #7
LeoRaph
Hench Mutant

No worries guys, well since he is such a great writer as well as an artist and the fact TMNT is still a part of him whether he sold them or not I'm sure he will go to town on it

Man the things that he did as a creative director for the 2K3 series, especially his notes for some of the original scripts are just poetry to read, the guy's attention to detail and honesty is masterful...The only thing is will we ever see his 'real thoughts' of the new movie...
Old 10-20-2014, 03:09 AM   #8
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Turtle View Post
When he does I'm sure he'll chew it to pieces.
Quote:
No worries guys, well since he is such a great writer as well as an artist and the fact TMNT is still a part of him whether he sold them or not I'm sure he will go to town on it

Man the things that he did as a creative director for the 2K3 series, especially his notes for some of the original scripts are just poetry to read, the guy's attention to detail and honesty is masterful...The only thing is will we ever see his 'real thoughts' of the new movie...
Seeing how the members' responses about Laird's comments on the mere 2014 trailer caused the thread to locked, I wonder who's going to be the one to unleash the climactic, explosively-reactive information. ...Since he is a co-creator of TMNT after all, and the reception to this 2014 movie has been so divisive.

**Suspenseful background music**
"After years of speculation on the movie's development, many unfavorable critic opinions, polarizing fan reactions, and hundreds of millions of dollars being made at the box office, what will the most critical co-creator, Peter Laird, say? How will the pro-movie and anti-movie fans react? What insults will be hurled? Will anybody get banned? Who will survive the fallout? On the next Melrose--- uh, I mean, coming soon to the Technodrome Forums!"

Last edited by Refractive Reflections; 10-20-2014 at 04:08 AM.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:56 AM   #9
FlogginMcMurryZombiePizza
Mad Scientist

Quote:

Is he just not interested in or happy with the current stuff? He even mentions not watching the current season of the cartoon (Season 2?) and not reading the IDW comics despite Eastman's involvement with that.
Maybe I'm just not updated in his current stance or friendship with Eastman now. I remember Laird did contribute to the 30th anniversary special issue but I was surprised to see his name only credited to one image and partnered with another artist. Was hoping for classic Eastman and Laird team-up.

Inventory
FlogginMcMurryZombiePizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:28 AM   #10
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlogginMcMurryZombiePizza View Post
Is he just not interested in or happy with the current stuff? He even mentions not watching the current season of the cartoon (Season 2?) and not reading the IDW comics despite Eastman's involvement with that.
Maybe I'm just not updated in his current stance or friendship with Eastman now. I remember Laird did contribute to the 30th anniversary special issue but I was surprised to see his name only credited to one image and partnered with another artist. Was hoping for classic Eastman and Laird team-up.
I assume he's refering to season 3, which started around that time.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:47 AM   #11
Davetello
Banned

Will always be grateful to him as co-creator, and of course he could go to town on the film if he views it and hates it. However, he sold the rights to Viacom. He knew there was a chance they might stray from his vision so he can't really put the boot in too much.
Davetello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 11:46 AM   #12
CyberCubed
Overlord

He won't like the movie just like most of us didn't.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 03:59 PM   #13
marcelangelo
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlogginMcMurryZombiePizza View Post
they Did do the cover for the 30th anniversary together..and there is this poster to promote the turtle power documentary dvd..peter inked kevins old pencils,,,so that is kind of a colaboration..well, it IS, but only one half of it was done nowerdays...
marcelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 01:05 PM   #14
mrminister4446
Thug

Quote:
Original scripts? Can they be found anywhere?
mrminister4446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:32 PM   #15
TrickOrTreater
Samhain

If he ever does(and I won't blame him a bit if he doesn't) I cannot wait to read any write up he does of it.

Even that interview he did before it came out about things we knew thus far was just solid gold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Some men use knives and guns, but TrickOrTreater is a more dangerous villain. He. Uses. The. TRUTH.
TrickOrTreater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:30 PM   #16
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrminister4446 View Post
Original scripts? Can they be found anywhere?
His script notes and correspondence with the show runner are posted on his blog. I'm too lazy to paste a link, but it's easily found on Google. Interested reads if you dig that sorta thing.
d_osborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:31 AM   #17
HeroTurtlesFan
Hench Mutant

Laird doesn't really like any TMNT he wasn't involved with, so I doubt he'll like the new movie, irrespective of quality.
HeroTurtlesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 12:59 PM   #18
Werecat
Hench Mutant

Peter Laird has a love/hate relationship with TMNT, I know he hates it but at the same time he cares for it. So odd. I really wonder what he thinks of the movie though. I am guessing there is gonna be mixed feelings about it.
Werecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 01:08 PM   #19
bushido
Stone Warrior

Peter Laird is more "conservative" I think about the turtles. He likes them in the continuity of the Mirage comics. It is the dichotomy of the duo Laird / Eastman. One wants to stay on the bases and the other wants to change the rules everytime.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:21 AM   #20
Commenter 42
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
Peter Laird is more "conservative" I think about the turtles. He likes them in the continuity of the Mirage comics. It is the dichotomy of the duo Laird / Eastman. One wants to stay on the bases and the other wants to change the rules everytime.
I'd agree with that. Considering the fall out from NM, and Lairds fastidious nature, I'm betting he'll keep quiet for a long time. I can't imagine he's waited this long to watch it. 30 years of your life is now a 100 million dollar film?

Would you wait for a DVD?
Commenter 42 is offline   Reply With Quote