The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 03-21-2018, 06:45 PM   #1
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
How many issues do you think IDW Tmnt will reach?

this is a topic that has been discussed time and time again.
but as sale numbers continue to diminish, i can’t help but wonder how long the series will continue on for?

so, questions.

-how many issues do you think the main IDW Ongoing Tmnt comic will last?

-how many issues do you think Tmnt: Universe will last?

-do you feel the companion Tmnt: Universe has helped the main series thrive, or has it pushed readers away?

-do you buy both Tmnt as well as Tmnt: Universe?

-if so what format(s) do you buy? (single issues, TPB, Deluxe HC, digital singles, digital TPB, etc...)

discuss...
Old 03-21-2018, 07:51 PM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord

The main series is already planned out to at least issue 100. It'll probably still continue on beyond that, but who knows how long it'll go. Maybe 120-150 issues? Who knows. That's too far in the future to think about now.

TMNT Universe might continue to at least 30 issues, but it'll probably be replaced by mini's and specials so it won't really matter.

As for your other questions I buy the trades now but now I have to sell those to switch over to the new hardcover collections.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:57 PM   #3
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

From what's been set up on the Dragon Lord, I very much think it could go to at least 175.

He's been kicking around for a long time, even as early as Secret History of the Foot Clan, when the turtles assumed Saki was the Dragon Lord presently. And with the warning that he's basically "unkillable", I can see #100 as his grand entrance, with maybe two or three issues beforehand leading up to it.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:08 PM   #4
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The main series is already planned out to at least issue 100. It'll probably still continue on beyond that, but who knows how long it'll go. Maybe 120-150 issues? Who knows. That's too far in the future to think about now.

TMNT Universe might continue to at least 30 issues, but it'll probably be replaced by mini's and specials so it won't really matter.

As for your other questions I buy the trades now but now I have to sell those to switch over to the new hardcover collections.
those sound like fair estimations.

around 30 for Tmnt Universe.

about 120 for the main series. not sure if it'll actually last to 150.

i've been buying all singles, trades, as well as the deluxe hardcovers.

but i'm strongly considering to stop buying the singles. something i thought i'd never do.
i used to not mind it as much before, but i'm honestly just not loving the series like i used to and now see the single issues as space eaters.

and what to do with the singles? keep em? sell em? donate them?
Old 03-21-2018, 08:10 PM   #5
CyberCubed
Overlord

When I bought trades I just sold all the single issues on one huge lot on ebay. From what I remember I sold everything prior to issue 50 at the time, and made around $70ish in sales off it.

Then I bought all the 4 issue TPB's. Now I'm thinking about selling all those off to replace them with the new hardcover collections. Every time IDW re-releases the series I have to sell off the previous releases for the new ones.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:15 PM   #6
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
From what's been set up on the Dragon Lord, I very much think it could go to at least 175.

He's been kicking around for a long time, even as early as Secret History of the Foot Clan, when the turtles assumed Saki was the Dragon Lord presently. And with the warning that he's basically "unkillable", I can see #100 as his grand entrance, with maybe two or three issues beforehand leading up to it.
realistically, i just can't image the series lasting to 175.

i'd be VERY surprised if it actually makes it to 150 the way things have been going.

to be perfectly honest, i think many of the characters and plot points that have been introduced a while ago should have LONG since been dealt with.

look at the FCBD issue from May 2017.
that painful exposition running through ALL of the plot threads that were (and are STILL) going on in the main series have barely even been touched upon.
i think one of the series biggest problems (beside lack of Turtles) has been that the plot really doesn't feel like it's progressing.

the series has been stuck in neutral for quite a while.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:17 PM   #7
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
When I bought trades I just sold all the single issues on one huge lot on ebay. From what I remember I sold everything prior to issue 50 at the time, and made around $70ish in sales off it.

Then I bought all the 4 issue TPB's. Now I'm thinking about selling all those off to replace them with the new hardcover collections. Every time IDW re-releases the series I have to sell off the previous releases for the new ones.
wow! 1-50 for $70???

was that also including the minis and micro series?

hahaha! yeah i can see the trades as quickly becoming space eaters too, now that you put it that way!
Old 03-21-2018, 08:20 PM   #8
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post
those sound like fair estimations.

around 30 for Tmnt Universe.

about 120 for the main series. not sure if it'll actually last to 150.

i've been buying all singles, trades, as well as the deluxe hardcovers.

but i'm strongly considering to stop buying the singles. something i thought i'd never do.
i used to not mind it as much before, but i'm honestly just not loving the series like i used to and now see the single issues as space eaters.

and what to do with the singles? keep em? sell em? donate them?
If you decide to sell the singles it might be cool to give dromers looking for certain issues first shot.

Quote:

I always thought you bought the singles. Seems like you know the latest plot details day of release. Do you buy the singles on mini-series?
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:21 PM   #9
CyberCubed
Overlord

Yeah including all those micros at the time. Keep in mind I sold them back in...I don't remember 2016 or so? When did issue 50 come out? It was somewhere around then.

There's no reason to keep two copies of the same things, once I decided to get the trades I knew I was going to sell the single issues. It's also easier to re-read the series in books then single comics for obvious reasons.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:39 PM   #10
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
If you decide to sell the singles it might be cool to give dromers looking for certain issues first shot.
yeah, i can list them on here if and when i'm ready to sell.
though i might be more looking to sell it as one giant (one and done) lot rather than to break it up and be stuck with the leftovers of cherry picking.

Quote:
Yeah including all those micros at the time. Keep in mind I sold them back in...I don't remember 2016 or so? When did issue 50 come out? It was somewhere around then.

There's no reason to keep two copies of the same things, once I decided to get the trades I knew I was going to sell the single issues. It's also easier to re-read the series in books then single comics for obvious reasons.
i think issue #50 came out in October of 2015.

that was the last year i went to NYCC and issue #50 had JUST came out.
i'd bought the Bisley/Talbot cover of #50 and was lucky enough to meet Eric Talbot there and have him sign it for me.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:55 PM   #11
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
yeah, i can list them on here if and when i'm ready to sell.
though i might be more looking to sell it as one giant (one and done) lot rather than to break it up and be stuck with the leftovers of cherry picking.
Oh yes if and when. You could sell the left overs as a lot after cherry picking is done. Some of those floppies can fetch a pretty penny. Do you have all the RI covers?
Old 03-21-2018, 09:03 PM   #12
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Oh yes if and when. You could sell the left overs as a lot after cherry picking is done. Some of those floppies can fetch a pretty penny. Do you have all the RI covers?
i really don't know about that. that's more packing than i was planning to do

i mainly stuck with Cover A's with a variant here and there that caught my eye.

i do have the full run of Kevin Eastman covers 1-73
some of those i believe are RI

after a while it gets hard to keep track of it all.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:33 PM   #13
spookycookies
Stone Warrior

Quote:
i really don't know about that. that's more packing than i was planning to do

i mainly stuck with Cover A's with a variant here and there that caught my eye.

i do have the full run of Kevin Eastman covers 1-73
some of those i believe are RI

after a while it gets hard to keep track of it all.
I have a spread sheet totaling every issue I get in. IDW TMNT is my prized collection and I'm trying to get as full of a run as I can find. I hope the main series goes on for a while yet as I still think there is a lot that can happen in the story, and as for the sales it still is one of the better books that IDW runs each month right? Universe will probably be replaced with something better formatted to readers who want lighter TMNT stories that aren't so bogged down into the 100 issues worth of continuity.
spookycookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:38 PM   #14
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Yeah, the numbers indeed dropped a little at the start of the year, but it's pretty much remains IDW's cash cow.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:07 PM   #15
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
Yeah, the numbers indeed dropped a little at the start of the year, but it's pretty much remains IDW's cash cow.
But the cow is producing less and less every month. And we don’t know licensing fees or costs for the talent. Another IDW book with lower sales numbers could be more profitable if it has less overhead.

I want TMNTU one-shots.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:08 PM   #16
myconius
Abby Normal

i think one of the biggest reasons the numbers have been dropping is that only ONE of the major plot points since the 2017 FCBD issue has been dealt with.

and it wasn't like the Turtles really had anything to do with that resolution.
that was all Leatherhead.
and it took up to about 9 comics worth of storytelling to get to it.

each month the sales continue to drop, and it gets frustrating that story hasn't really progressed.

there aren't any real 'fun' moments in the main comic all that much either.
it's all either exposition or melodrama.

the first 12 issues IMO were some of the best of the series. especially #5.
Secret History of the Foot Clan was another high point, as far as a well balanced, action-packed story with good characterization and fun.

Tmnt Universe was a step in the right direction. i just hope that direction continues and improves.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:10 PM   #17
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
I want TMNTU one-shots.
as long as they are focused on the Turtles, i am ALL for it!!
Old 03-21-2018, 10:59 PM   #18
Zog The Magnificent
Stone Warrior

I'm hoping for at least 150 issues. I think that would be enough time to wrap up the remaining plot points, combined with TMNT Universe.
Zog The Magnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 11:56 PM   #19
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

The best I can say is that since the staff doesn't seem to be concerned about the drop in sales - which Bobby didn't seem to be a few months ago - then I'm not going to be concerned.

He even seemed...enthusiastic his regular "I can't say anything" to my question about what Null was alerted to at the end of TMNTU 20. So with that, I don't see any reason to think they might have to rush the ending overall.

And, with another year or so to go for #100, I do think things have potential to pick up again.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:51 AM   #20
Ninjinister
無問題