The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 01-07-2019, 02:15 AM   #81
colincollects85
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
How about a Krang android that could activate all weapons and wings seen in the cartoon and Archie comics?
I had the Krang Andoid Body that came out in 1991, which is very valuable today if you get one in the original box. Cool concept, but he had very basic articulation, no wings. No accessories to speak of, really. He was about the height of may 3 action figures. Around 12 inches...
Old 01-07-2019, 02:26 AM   #82
colincollects85
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Were there many adult collectors in the late 80s early 90s? I'm guessing it was a very small niche that didn't grow until the 70s/80s kids grew up and were nostalgic for their toys.

I personally loved Mike the Sewer Surfer and Raph the space cadet as a kid, I would not buy them now but they were cool to me as a kid, I had tons of variants of Raphael for god knows what reason. As I said, I think they're dumb now and didn't like them in other toylines even as a kid but since we're adults now instead of bashing them we can try to analyze why companies make them, it's mostly because people buy them, they have the sales data not us and are just speculating

I did find the super gimmicky ones unappealing like strage shell donatello that you provide but some gimmicks were somewhat appealing like the mutating turtles or event he backflipping ones event though in reality they had little play potential. They did release a ton of gimmicky figures that I cared nothing for like the troll ones but those seem more like desperate attempts of TMNT trying to keep their relevancy when competing with other toylines that were beating them in sales so they would just mimic that instead of doing say more mutants that didn't sell. They did re-release the basic figures a few more times even in the late 90s on KB toys so they did try to get some more sales.

I think it has to do more with kids growing out of the things they liked and sales dwindling down and these moves the companies make to save the toyline are then seen by fans in the future as the moves that killed the line but it was already happening, it's sort of a last attempt to save it and when it backfired it just made it happen quicker but it was happening sooner rather than later. I get this feeling after watching many episodes of The Toys That Made Us on Netflix, He-Man and the like were old for new generations and there was no saving them, yes some decisions helped the line do badly but it was because they were trying to recuperate their sales. The internet is always full of analysts and i see plenty of youtube videos where the creator gets praised but Hindsight is 20/20.
I'm only going to guess there were quite a bit of adult collectors during the late 80s and early 90s because there is an abundance of toys from that era that are available that have never been opened. Most of the mint on card Turtles figures I have are even unpunched and still glossy. Along with TMNT, I had several figures from the Batman films, Swamp Thing, Real Ghostbusters, Captain Planet, X-Men, etc, and can find several copies of almost every single toy I had as a kid on eBay, still in the package. The reason the Star Wars toys are worth so much now is because collecting toys in the 1970s wasn't really a thing yet, and most of them got opened. I think the TMNT collectors in the 80s who adults are more from that era, and regretted the mistake of not hoarding the original Star Wars toys.

I will say that toy collecting was a lot different for those people. They simply went to a department store and loaded up the card with figures and brought them home and put them in a box. Not like now where we have all the Comic Con exclusives, Neca, and overpriced $300 Hot Toys figures with a million points of articulation, expensive paint jobs, and interchangeable heads and hands.

Last edited by colincollects85; 01-07-2019 at 02:35 AM.
colincollects85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:29 AM   #83
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by colincollects85 View Post
I'm only going to guess there were quite a bit of adult collectors during the late 80s and early 90s because there is an abundance of toys from that era that are available that have never been opened. Most of the mint on card Turtles figures I have are even unpunched and still glossy. Along with TMNT, I had several figures from the Batman films, Swamp Thing, Real Ghostbusters, Captain Planet, X-Men, etc, and can find several copies of almost every single toy I had as a kid on eBay, still in the package. The reason the Star Wars toys are worth so much now is because collecting toys in the 1970s wasn't really a thing yet, and most of them got opened. I think the TMNT collectors in the 80s who adults are more from that era, and regretted the mistake of not hoarding the original Star Wars toys.

I will say that toy collecting was a lot different for those people. They simply went to a department store and loaded up the card with figures and brought them home and put them in a box. Not like now where we have all the Comic Con exclusives, Neca, and overpriced $300 Hot Toys figures with a million points of articulation, expensive paint jobs, and interchangeable heads and hands.
Toy scalpers and independent toy retailers had sealed and opened cases of Turtles, Kenner Tim Burton Batman figures, and failed ‘90s toy lines like Swamp Thing also. You must remember that some pop culture fans, retail toy store employees, and casual onlookers all thought the original 1988 Playmates line was going to be extremely valuable in this century after the Turtlemania of 1990. In the spring of 1990, K-Mart was the designated “Official Turtlemania Center” before putting up “Your Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Headquarters” banners in the other years of the early ‘90s into the mid ‘90s. Then, toy stores and department stores were flooded with an over-abundance of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles action figures (new and old) in the fall of 1991 and that became overwhelming for shoppers and business owners alike. Children started dumping the Turtles for Super Nintendos, Barbies, Super Soakers, Treasure Trolls, X-Men, WWF wrestlers, and the rest is history. Even hardware and grocery stores were left with figure assortments and unpopular characters from the last live-action movie for years (into the 2000s, in a few instances).

People in their 40s and 50s today may not admit it so easily, but they were watching the 1987 syndicated Fred Wolf cartoon in the very late ‘80s and early ‘90s while in junior high, high school, and college. Believe it or not, a small amount of them had their favorites from the toon or one of every figure from waves one to three and possibly a home video release of the syndicated Fred Wolf series. In most states, during those eras, young adults could not be vocal about watching cartoons made for children and toddlers in public, like they do today, out of fear of being embarrassed. It was difficult for people of all ages to ignore the Turtles from late ‘89 to the fall of 1993 or so. Loose action figures from the original 1988 Playmates line were found by many people on the ground in parks, small city streets, and forest areas from 1990 to sometime in the mid ‘90s. As you can imagine, senior citizens who thought the title and concept of the franchise was silly had to see the Turtles ad nauseam in the early to mid ‘90s (especially the early 90s).

‘70s and ‘80s action figure collectors generally do not like reminiscing about the early ‘90s. I think that is mostly in part to there being a lack of competition to the Turtles in the Bush ‘90s and all of the greats before the Turtles being gone or on their way out. In other words, the market was dry as bone in those years. The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles really were the only game in town in 1990, when you think about it.

Don’t forget that magazines like Model & Toy Collector, Lee’s Action Figure News & Review, and Toy Values Monthly were at book stores, newsstands, and supermarkets in the early ‘90s as well.
The 1988 soft heads, available in stores from mid ‘88 to mid 1990, were fetching up to twenty two dollars in early ‘91 on the black market, if I recall correctly. So, that was a hint to sellers who cared nothing about the Turtles that Playmates Toys was going places.

I have another question for this forum. How would you look at the original Playmates toyline if the movie figures and child-centric variants were never made?

Last edited by mikey0; 01-07-2019 at 10:27 AM.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:49 PM   #84
DonnieLaForge
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
The original 1988 Playmates toyline is not in ‘the big leagues’ with the 1977 Kenner Star Wars line, 1981 Mattel Masters of the Universe, 1982 Hasbro G.I. Joe line, or 1984 Hasbro Transformers line because of the long number of humorous turtle and April variants from the ‘90s.
You've made it abundantly clear that you find this to be the case.
However, can you name any toy line post-1984 that *is* in those "big leagues"? Because maybe the situation was more of a changing landscape for all toys and less of what you say it was.

None of those franchises but Star Wars is still in those "big leagues" as far as I can tell, either, and Star Wars itself has lost steam as well.
DonnieLaForge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 01:32 PM   #85
colincollects85
Random Punk

Quote:
Toy scalpers and independent toy retailers had sealed and opened cases of Turtles, Kenner Tim Burton Batman figures, and failed ‘90s toy lines like Swamp Thing also. You must remember that some pop culture fans, retail toy store employees, and casual onlookers all thought the original 1988 Playmates line was going to be extremely valuable in this century after the Turtlemania of 1990. In the spring of 1990, K-Mart was the designated “Official Turtlemania Center” before putting up “Your Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Headquarters” banners in the other years of the early ‘90s into the mid ‘90s. Then, toy stores and department stores were flooded with an over-abundance of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles action figures (new and old) in the fall of 1991 and that became overwhelming for shoppers and business owners alike. Children started dumping the Turtles for Super Nintendos, Barbies, Super Soakers, Treasure Trolls, X-Men, WWF wrestlers, and the rest is history. Even hardware and grocery stores were left with figure assortments and unpopular characters from the last live-action movie for years (into the 2000s, in a few instances).

People in their 40s and 50s today may not admit it so easily, but they were watching the 1987 syndicated Fred Wolf cartoon in the very late ‘80s and early ‘90s while in junior high, high school, and college. Believe it or not, a small amount of them had their favorites from the toon or one of every figure from waves one to three and possibly a home video release of the syndicated Fred Wolf series. In most states, during those eras, young adults could not be vocal about watching cartoons made for children and toddlers in public, like they do today, out of fear of being embarrassed. It was difficult for people of all ages to ignore the Turtles from late ‘89 to the fall of 1993 or so. Loose action figures from the original 1988 Playmates line were found by many people on the ground in parks, small city streets, and forest areas from 1990 to sometime in the mid ‘90s. As you can imagine, senior citizens who thought the title and concept of the franchise was silly had to see the Turtles ad nauseam in the early to mid ‘90s (especially the early 90s).

‘70s and ‘80s action figure collectors generally do not like reminiscing about the early ‘90s. I think that is mostly in part to there being a lack of competition to the Turtles in the Bush ‘90s and all of the greats before the Turtles being gone or on their way out. In other words, the market was dry as bone in those years. The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles really were the only game in town in 1990, when you think about it.

Don’t forget that magazines like Model & Toy Collector, Lee’s Action Figure News & Review, and Toy Values Monthly were at book stores, newsstands, and supermarkets in the early ‘90s as well.
The 1988 soft heads, available in stores from mid ‘88 to mid 1990, were fetching up to twenty two dollars in early ‘91 on the black market, if I recall correctly. So, that was a hint to sellers who cared nothing about the Turtles that Playmates Toys was going places.

I have another question for this forum. How would you look at the original Playmates toyline if the movie figures and child-centric variants were never made?
Very informative post. You described the era to a "T". I was discussing this with another member who was born in the 80s on this thread about the release of the Super Nintendo, and how kid's interests had shifted. I got my SNES in 1992. As I read your post, it really brought that whole time period back to life. Of course, I saw it from a child's perspective back then, but all these years later, I can actually comprehend the politics of the toy world, Turtlemania, and the way everything unfolded back then.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:00 PM   #86
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

I had a NES and an SNES and it didn't prevent me from buying action figures, watching cartoons and reading comics. The only thing that stopped me was feeling ashamed.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:14 PM   #87
colincollects85
Random Punk

Quote:
I had a NES and an SNES and it didn't prevent me from buying action figures, watching cartoons and reading comics. The only thing that stopped me was feeling ashamed.
I never said I completely stopped with the Turtles after the NES, SNES, N64, etc. I was still buying TMNT action figures in 1998 when the reissues were all over the place; (drug store chains, KB Toys, etc.) The feeling "ashamed" part still existed, but didn't really stop me from loving the Turtles. I have been collecting all of the 1988-1990 figures for the past 10 years and everyone in my family and friends know about it. Zero F's are given.

I had a bunch of other cool toys like the Creepy Crawler oven, Nerf guns, Super Soakers, basically all the 90s crap that is worth a fortune now, but the Turtles were by far always number one in my book.

Last edited by colincollects85; 01-07-2019 at 06:20 PM.
colincollects85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:24 PM   #88
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieLaForge View Post
You've made it abundantly clear that you find this to be the case.
However, can you name any toy line post-1984 that *is* in those "big leagues"? Because maybe the situation was more of a changing landscape for all toys and less of what you say it was.

None of those franchises but Star Wars is still in those "big leagues" as far as I can tell, either, and Star Wars itself has lost steam as well.
It is plausible that the passing of the generational torch had something to do with the pre-1985 toy lines taking off the way did. But I’m not entirely sure.

I thought the card backs for the first wave Turtles figures and the promotional work for it were eye-catching, bold, and dramatic for a boys toyline. The original toyline was more effective as a toy set based off of the 1984 Mirage Comic book and 1987 Fred Wolf cartoon to me. After all, the high sales of the 1984 Mirage Comic book series in 1986 are what spawned the hit 1987 Fred Wolf cartoon in the first place, so it made sense for the poses, sculpts, and cardback artwork of the figures to resemble what was found on the pages in the comic book. When the dark nature of the comic book disappeared from the 1988 original Playmates toyline, the appeal was lost for me. The 1987 syndicated program became a top rated cartoon and the toyline that went with it changed radically [no pun intended] as a result. The pop-up displays are the greatest symbol of the first cartoon being the most watched animated television show of 1989. After the re-release of the wave one to three figures on the same cards had the yellow sticker on the bubble, the original Playmates toyline began sliding towards being a fun line for mainly children of the 1990s.

That was not exactly the dividing point on the timeline of the 1988 toy line for everyone like the toy series turning into one gigantic spoof of all of the best-selling toy collectibles sold before it in the fall of 1991 though.

I apologize if I offended anyone with my remarks about the original Playmates line as that was not my intention. I was just answering the question the OP asked from my perspective.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:20 AM   #89
colincollects85
Random Punk

Quote:
It is plausible that the passing of the generational torch had something to do with the pre-1985 toy lines taking off the way did. But I’m not entirely sure.

I thought the card backs for the first wave Turtles figures and the promotional work for it were eye-catching, bold, and dramatic for a boys toyline. The original toyline was more effective as a toy set based off of the 1984 Mirage Comic book and 1987 Fred Wolf cartoon to me. After all, the high sales of the 1984 Mirage Comic book series in 1986 are what spawned the hit 1987 Fred Wolf cartoon in the first place, so it made sense for the poses, sculpts, and cardback artwork of the figures to resemble what was found on the pages in the comic book. When the dark nature of the comic book disappeared from the 1988 original Playmates toyline, the appeal was lost for me. The 1987 syndicated program became a top rated cartoon and the toyline that went with it changed radically [no pun intended] as a result. The pop-up displays are the greatest symbol of the first cartoon being the most watched animated television show of 1989. After the re-release of the wave one to three figures on the same cards had the yellow sticker on the bubble, the original Playmates toyline began sliding towards being a fun line for mainly children of the 1990s.

That was not exactly the dividing point on the timeline of the 1988 toy line for everyone like the toy series turning into one gigantic spoof of all of the best-selling toy collectibles sold before it in the fall of 1991 though.

I apologize if I offended anyone with my remarks about the original Playmates line as that was not my intention. I was just answering the question the OP asked from my perspective.
It sounds like you have been around for a while, or at least followed this extensively over the years. That's why I created the thread. I wanted people to share and debate about their experiences back then. I started Kindergarten in 1991, so I remember the merchandise from Secret of the Ooze very well. The Movie Star figures, lunch boxes, backpacks, etc.

I agree that the 1988 and 1989 figures were the best, because of the awesome artwork on the packaging. The vehicles and play sets included. There was a turning point (maybe 1993) when the artwork on the packaging looked like it was done with the assistance of a computer program. The lines were softer, the colors were different. Just had a more gimmicky, airbrushed feel.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:20 PM   #90
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
It sounds like you have been around for a while, or at least followed this extensively over the years. That's why I created the thread. I wanted people to share and debate about their experiences back then. I started Kindergarten in 1991, so I remember the merchandise from Secret of the Ooze very well. The Movie Star figures, lunch boxes, backpacks, etc.

I agree that the 1988 and 1989 figures were the best, because of the awesome artwork on the packaging. The vehicles and play sets included. There was a turning point (maybe 1993) when the artwork on the packaging looked like it was done with the assistance of a computer program. The lines were softer, the colors were different. Just had a more gimmicky, airbrushed feel.
You are correct about the year when the triptych disappeared from the packaging in stores. It was in early 1993. The original Playmates line officially became a mid ‘90s toyline made to compete with the 1992 Star Trek The Next Generation, 1992 Terminator 2 Future Wars, 1992 Mattel Aladdin line, and 1992 The Addams Family animated series action figure lines that also had generic cards. I guess it came as no surprise that the 1992 Tiger Electronics Home Alone 2 Deluxe Talkboy was a top seller in 1993 over all of the collectible action figure sets in stores. I believe that is one of the reasons why ‘70s and ‘80s adult collectors of today see the ‘90s as a such terrible time for boys toy lines and collectors. In the 1990s, we were getting to where we were in the last decade.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:46 PM   #91
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I had the Krang Andoid Body that came out in 1991
I remember really wanting the Krang Android body but never getting it. A lesson early on, surely, that you don't get everything you want.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 02:09 PM   #92
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Very informative post. You described the era to a "T". I was discussing this with another member who was born in the 80s on this thread about the release of the Super Nintendo, and how kid's interests had shifted. I got my SNES in 1992. As I read your post, it really brought that whole time period back to life. Of course, I saw it from a child's perspective back then, but all these years later, I can actually comprehend the politics of the toy world, Turtlemania, and the way everything unfolded back then.
Thank you. An uncountable number of consumers’ interest changed, largely due to it being the first era of the last decade of the 20th century. Almost everyone back then wanted something new to happen instantly. For that reason alone, the Super Nintendo stood out the most to shoppers in different age groups in the 1991 holiday season.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:20 PM   #93
Overlord

All members of the Mutanimals from the Archie comics should also have their own action figures, and their main antagonists.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:35 PM   #94
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
I had the Krang Andoid Body that came out in 1991, which is very valuable today if you get one in the original box. Cool concept, but he had very basic articulation, no wings. No accessories to speak of, really. He was about the height of may 3 action figures. Around 12 inches...
I recall seeing the 1991 Krang’s Android Body figure quite often in the 1991 to 1992 winter season. The 11 inch figure was usually found on the first shelf below the pegs for the 1991 Turtles sub lines in discount retail stores like Caldor in 1992.

Quote:
All members of the Mutanimals from the Archie comics should also have their own action figures, and their main antagonists.
The third quarter of 1993 would have been a perfect time for the other Mutanimals and their main antagonists. The Scratch wave did not move too well, though.

Last edited by mikey0; 01-08-2019 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:45 AM   #95
Overlord

Mutanimals

Quote:
The third quarter of 1993 would have been a perfect time for the other Mutanimals and their main antagonists. The Scratch wave did not move too well, though.
I would say 1992. The Mutanimals comic was cancelled in June 1993.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:55 AM   #96
Zachatello00
Ninja Comedian

I remember being an adult and still being able to find the original line well into the early 2000's. Christmas 2001 (Freshman year of college), I bought all four of the original turtles, Shredder, Bebop, and Punk Rock Don at a KB outlet.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:30 AM   #97
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachatello00 View Post
Christmas 2001.
TMNT-nostalgia must have been cool back then. Everything TMNT-related had almost been cancelled by that time, but in December 2001 the Mirage comics returned:

https://www.miragelicensing.com/comi...e04/01/01.html

Did that (thinking the TMNT would return) cause you to buy the figures?

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 03-25-2019 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:15 AM   #98
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
I recall seeing the 1991 Krang’s Android Body figure quite often in the 1991 to 1992 winter season. The 11 inch figure was usually found on the first shelf below the pegs for the 1991 Turtles sub lines in discount retail stores like Caldor in 1992.

What was a part of the Scratch wave?

I remember the packaging change around Fall 1993. If there was a point of going downhill I thought the package change would be the marker.

I hope we get a release date for The Toys That Made Is documentary episode soon.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:42 AM   #99
Overlord

The Swedish TMNT magazine (publishing Archie and Fleetway comics) used to have competitions where you answered some questions, sent letters and could win toys. I never won.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:03 PM   #100
SilverNinja
Foot Soldier

Oh man, it's tough to pinpoint exactly when I started to lose interest in the original line. I remember I was in the minority when it came to the look of the Movie Star turtles. I hates all those weird spots on them. However as an adult, I now have them all in my collection. Another thing that made me roll my eyes were the Turtle Trolls. I liked trolls and I loved my turtles, but the combo was soooo lame. However, I have a troll Leo and the Giant Troll Leo because I'm a sucker nowadays, haha.

I never had any interest in Scratch or Hotspot and I don't remember ever having seen those. I'm sure my hunt for figures had ended before then or the shelves could have been pretty bare already.
SilverNinja is offline   Reply With Quote