The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 09-17-2019, 05:45 PM   #301
mikey0
Foot Elite

Super 7 put this up on their Twitter today: https://mobile.twitter.com/super7sto...35658362380289

Super 7 had to be thinking of the opening to the 1987 FW show when they made this promo for the release date (10/01). The original Playmates toy line does not get the appreciation that the Kenner Star Wars, Hasbro G1 Transformers, Mattel Masters of the Universe, or even Hasbro G.I. Joe A Real American Hero line does at times.

Last edited by mikey0; 09-17-2019 at 06:46 PM.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 02:28 AM   #302
Otter
Stone Warrior

Did all the reissued Raphaels at Gamestop have the new face? Popcultcha are due a restock and I'm wondering if I should roll the dice.
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 06:57 AM   #303
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
Did all the reissued Raphaels at Gamestop have the new face? Popcultcha are due a restock and I'm wondering if I should roll the dice.
What reissued Raphael at GameStop? The 7-inch scale 1990 movie Raphael figure? What are you responding to?
Old 09-23-2019, 07:13 AM   #304
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

Eh? I thought it was already confirmed that the Raph doesn't have a different face... just there is a face error in some of the figures?
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:47 AM   #305
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
Eh? I thought it was already confirmed that the Raph doesn't have a different face... just there is a face error in some of the figures?
Most likely it is an error figure, but I believe Otter was asking if the second run of Raph figures (the error figures) are the only Raph figures in GameStop currently.

Otter wants to know so that he could possibly get a first run Raph from Popculta before the error figures are shipped to the UK (if they haven’t been already).

Otter’s best bet is to first go to the GameStops in his area and see what Raphaels they have (if any are in stock). Then, e-mail Popculta and explain the variant situation to them to see if they can respond to his message with close-up photos of the head sculpts to the Raphael figures they have there. From there a decision can be reached.

Last edited by mikey0; 09-23-2019 at 09:10 AM.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:56 AM   #306
TommyT
Banned

The new Raph face is weird. The eye is half closed and the expression is weird. It’s uncomfortable.
TommyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 02:35 PM   #307
Otter
Stone Warrior

Yes, I was asking about the 7" movie figure. (I thought I was posting in the appropriate thread... clearly I'm not. Sorry.)

I was more asking if the new head appeared to be a running change; if all the Raphaels since released have this new head.

I already have the previous release, but am keen to get the new version as well. Australia doesn't have Gamestop, but a local e-tailer does get the NECA turtles. But because their only brick and mortar outlet is an 18 hour drive away, I can only purchase sight unseen. If it's a running change, I figure the restock is likely to have the new head. If it was a factory error that only turned up here and there, the odds are far lower.

I was hoping the experience of people here might shed some light.

I could call Popcultcha and ask, but that'd have to wait until the stock arrives in order to check, and I was intending to pre-order as part of a larger order (and so save on shipping).
Old 09-24-2019, 04:56 PM   #308
mikey0
Foot Elite

More news and promotional photos on these from Super 7:

https://super7.com/blogs/news/teenag...timate-figures

https://mobile.twitter.com/super7sto...58075207016448
Old 09-25-2019, 07:58 AM   #309
mikey see
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
Ugh. So $45 apiece confirmed, and it seems they're sticking with the sprewed accessories. Pass. I was REALLY looking forward to these but that price is nuts. I know people routinely drop $70-$90 apiece for "high-end" action figures but I'm used to the $20-$25 price points of Hasbro and NECA figures. I can't justify $200 for four figures. I actually feel a little insulted.
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 08:35 AM   #310
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey see View Post
Ugh. So $45 apiece confirmed, and it seems they're sticking with the sprewed accessories. Pass. I was REALLY looking forward to these but that price is nuts. I know people routinely drop $70-$90 apiece for "high-end" action figures but I'm used to the $20-$25 price points of Hasbro and NECA figures. I can't justify $200 for four figures. I actually feel a little insulted.
I don’t see Splinter and the Foot Soldier selling as well as Raphael and Baxter Stockman. Super 7 has quite a lot going for it with the Ultimate Baxter figure. As we all know, Ultimate Baxter comes with a Mouser similar to the 1989 Wacky Action Mouser and a Baxter Stockman figure hasn’t been re-released since 1994.

There should have been two figures per wave for the TMNT Ultimate line, IMO.

I’m thinking that Super 7 will be using the serious dark sewer setting for these Ultimate figures like they are doing for the ReAction figures and not the colorful bricks with the shiny opening like the 1988 originals. In other words, there are not any ties to the original Playmates toy line at all outside of these being 7 inch highly poseable versions of the ‘88 and ‘89 figures. Perhaps, Playmates didn’t allow Super 7 the rights to use the card art designs for both the Ultimate and ReAction lines. It looks like the MOTU stuff from Super 7 will always be their best and their TMNT lines are a second attempt from them.

Nevertheless, I think it’s clever on the part of Super 7 to produce only the number of figures that will be pre-ordered next month.

I never knew what direction Super 7 was going in by giving Ultimate Raphael two detachable head sculpts. Why wasn’t a different belt and knee and elbow pads included with the Ultimate Raphael if it is the only figure in the first wave with detachable heads? Super 7 can’t possibly think a more realistic Raphael head would work with a highly articulated version of the 1988 Raphael body. I’m being quiet now because people on this board do not like critiques of the figures they plan on buying.

Last edited by mikey0; 09-25-2019 at 09:14 AM.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:42 AM   #311
italianice388
Stone Warrior

Quote:
I’m being quiet now because people on this board do not like critiques of the figures they plan on buying.
We don't have any issue with critiques. I personally welcome criticism on things that I like. It makes them better in the end. It's just when you lurk on threads of products you dislike and incessantly comment negativity, again and again, completely derailing any other conversation. There's a difference!
italianice388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 10:59 AM   #312
mikey see
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I’m being quiet now because people on this board do not like critiques of the figures they plan on buying.
Critiques are fine. It's when you say things like "there's no point in this line even being made" that people start to get annoyed. And then you say it over and over...

And yeah, Baxter will be the big seller, followed by Raph. Splinter is by far the weakest figure in the wave IMO, and if he weren't a main character I doubt he'd sell well.

Honestly I'm not sure how well these will sell in general. From what I've seen the disgust at the price has been pretty universal.
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 11:49 AM   #313
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey see View Post
Critiques are fine. It's when you say things like "there's no point in this line even being made" that people start to get annoyed. And then you say it over and over...

And yeah, Baxter will be the big seller, followed by Raph. Splinter is by far the weakest figure in the wave IMO, and if he weren't a main character I doubt he'd sell well.

Honestly I'm not sure how well these will sell in general. From what I've seen the disgust at the price has been pretty universal.
These Super 7 Ultimate figures will most likely all be pre-ordered by most TMNT toy line completists (if not all), some casual collectors who grew up with the original toy line, and toy dealers. I don’t see TMNT Ultimate and ReAction figures reaching MOTU levels of waves, but the Ultimate figures could go on for two to four waves. Unfortunately for hardcore fans, TMNT was never Star Wars, G1 Transformers, MOTU, or even GI Joe ARAH. We’re talking a toy line consisting of funny spoofs of comic book characters. The 1985 Topps Garbage Pail Kids had more wax pack series characters than the characters in the basic assortments of the 1988 Playmates TMNT toy line. The original TMNT toy line is normally known for the first wave, some side characters, and lots and lots of variants of the turtles themselves. The original toy line was too much of a TV, movie, and comic book collectible toy line towards the end. Playmates gave in to the fact that not many children of the 80s and 90s were taking the original toy line seriously as a good versus evil themed boys toy line in 1990 for the 1991 toy releases and now the original toy line is scoffed at by many 20th century action figure collectors for having too many variants in it. The Movie Star turtles variants sold well in 1992, but they would have sold much better in 1990 after the first movie was released. One whole 1990 movie sub-wave consisting of all of the original first wave characters with Bebop and Rocksteady switched out for Tatsu and Casey Jones using 5 inch molds almost similar to the 1988 figures would have been a huge hit for Playmates. Regardless of that fact, the Movie Star turtles were the next best thing to the 1988 figures. We’ll see what Super 7 does with those Movie Star turtles if both Ultimate and ReAction lines ever lead up to that point.

Last edited by mikey0; 09-25-2019 at 05:07 PM.
Old 09-25-2019, 02:33 PM   #314
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Why everyone here is so sure about Stockman selling more than Raphael?
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 06:10 PM   #315
xZAOx
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
I don't know if I agree with them or not - but the general feeling is because we've gotten ZERO collector based Baxter figures (and only ONE Splinter), versus a billion types of Raphael, and quite a bit of Foot Soldiers too.

As for my thoughts, now that I've had time to think on it - I'm still not sure, but I'm leaning towards passing.

- The price point is high, and my space is at a premium these days
- I love loading it with accessories, but not making the weapons on the sprue re-usable is a huge misfire. At $45 + shipping, I expect more. They should peg in or something.
- It's hard to be 100% accurate, but unless they let some reviewers see these before the pre-order window closes, the articulation looks limited by modern standards, especially at this price point. It's probably at their MOTUC levels. But getting into $40+ action figures, I expect more: can the elbows go past 90? How's the balance? How poseable are they? Butterfly joint? The legs look pretty stiff, or that they wouldn't balance in anything but the crouched over pose.

I dunno. I'm still waffling, because I do want to support Super7. I much prefer their model of collecting.
xZAOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 06:14 PM   #316
I Crave Pizza No More
Mad Scientist

So is there no incentive to buying the set as opposed to buying individual figures?
I Crave Pizza No More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 07:45 PM   #317
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
The basic assortments to the original Playmates toy line was very much of its time from 1988 to 1993 and I think some toy collectors unconsciously like that about it. The 2nd wave of the 1988 toy line was as late 80s as the toy line ever got! Ace Duck was the “Top Gun” of the original 1988 toy line as he wore the brown leather bomber jacket. Genghis Frog was clearly the “Magnum, PI” of all things Turtles. Krang was based off of the Ultroms from the original Mirage Studios comic book (the rarest figure of the 2nd wave). Lastly, Baxter Stockman was “The Fly”. The 2nd wave was released some months after The Fly 2 was in theaters.

The 1989 toy versions of Baxter Stockman (like xZAOx mentioned), Ace Duck, Genghis Frog, and Krang with the Mobile Life-Support System has never gotten any highly poseable toy treatment for adult collectors. Best of all, one of the accessories for Ultimate Baxter Stockman is a Mouser made in the style of the 1989 Playmates Wacky Action Mouser. The other Ultimate Turtles figures (aside from the Foot Soldier) come with FW cartoon based accessories. So, Ultimate Baxter is great for FW Baxter Stockman fans, original Playmates toy line fans, and casual adult toy collectors alike.

Last edited by mikey0; 09-25-2019 at 07:51 PM.
Old 09-25-2019, 09:31 PM   #318
Otter
Stone Warrior

Quote:
These Super 7 Ultimate figures will most likely all be pre-ordered by most TMNT toy line completists (if not all), some casual collectors who grew up with the original toy line, and toy dealers.
So... people who collect toys will buy the collectible toys?

I'll be getting Splinter (easily my favourite of the wave) and Raph. I have no interest in the Foot soldier (though assume there will be people who will buy multiples) and no interest in Stockman. But I'm a Mirage fan first, and was really disappointed in the cartoon when it came out. Back in the day I bought toys of characters that I thought approximated those in the comics. I think this Splinter is even better at that than the Playmates version.
Old 09-26-2019, 06:59 AM   #319
tmntfannumerouno
Stone Warrior

So super 7 is basically doing what playmates should have done with their classic collection line but at a considerable markup? It’s a little too late now with what neca has already offered imo but to each their own as I know that there’s still fans of the larger scale stuff.
tmntfannumerouno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 07:48 AM   #320
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
So... people who collect toys will buy the collectible toys?

I'll be getting Splinter (easily my favourite of the wave) and Raph. I have no interest in the Foot soldier (though assume there will be people who will buy multiples) and no interest in Stockman. But I'm a Mirage fan first, and was really disappointed in the cartoon when it came out. Back in the day I bought toys of characters that I thought approximated those in the comics. I think this Splinter is even better at that than the Playmates version.
So, you exclusively purchased some of the 1st to 5th basic wave characters from 1988 to 1990?

I wonder how Super 7 will handle that matter with both the Ultimate and ReAction toy lines. Will there be one Mirage Studios comic book character per wave past the first wave of both Ultimate and ReAction toy lines or will the Mirage Comics characters all be sold in the earliest waves as Super 7 focuses on the original characters of the 1988 Playmates toy line later?