The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 07-13-2017, 08:49 AM   #21
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Playmates went on record saying Donatello has always been the least selling turtle, with Leonardo being the best selling turtle. It's funny how these stats differ with varying groups & contexts.
The irony is that out of the four TMNT figures I bought as a kid Don is the only one out of the three still with his weapons and in good shape.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:13 PM   #22
Donnie
Something from the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Don't forget Archie's future Donatello.
Right on. I forgot to mention that in my original post. That Archie future arc with Donatello and Raphael was my favorite growing up. I'm just not sure how much Archie is considered "canon." I guess that's subjective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose Mike View Post
Donatello tends to be written with a lot of qualities that make violence toward him most tragic. He is often written with sensitivity that rivals Michelangelo and passion that rivals Raphael.]
That's one astute observation my friend. Very true, often Donnie is written in this way.
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:41 AM   #23
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
The irony is that out of the four TMNT figures I bought as a kid Don is the only one out of the three still with his weapons and in good shape.
huh, that's pretty neat. I still got one of Mikey's chucks, I don't know how it survived my childhood since no other signature weapon I had did, and the 'chucks where flimsy.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:53 AM   #24
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
Right on. I forgot to mention that in my original post. That Archie future arc with Donatello and Raphael was my favorite growing up. I'm just not sure how much Archie is considered "canon." I guess that's subjective.
What do you mean? All of Archie is canon to Archie.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:13 AM   #25
Donnie
Something from the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
What do you mean? All of Archie is canon to Archie.
I mean, Mirage is more often than not considered TMNT canon. So how does Archie fit into that? Is it a canon all on its own? Seems like a subjective issue to me.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:00 AM   #26
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Archie fits into Archie, it's its own universe....
Old 07-14-2017, 02:15 PM   #27
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
I mean, Mirage is more often than not considered TMNT canon. So how does Archie fit into that? Is it a canon all on its own? Seems like a subjective issue to me.
The hell are you talking about?

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 02:32 PM   #28
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Quote:
the events within the Mirage Tmnt Comics and the Archie Tmnt have no ties to one another at all.

each series is it's own continuity.

just think the '1966 Adam West Batman TV series' versus the '1989 Michael Keaton Batman movie'

sure they are both Batman, but they are completely different versions of the same characters.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:30 PM   #29
Donnie
Something from the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
The hell are you talking about?
Nice seeing you too, Powder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post
the events within the Mirage Tmnt Comics and the Archie Tmnt have no ties to one another at all.

each series is it's own continuity.

just think the '1966 Adam West Batman TV series' versus the '1989 Michael Keaton Batman movie'

sure they are both Batman, but they are completely different versions of the same characters.
See, this is a polite and helpful comment. Thanks.

Good thing I didn't include Archie in my original post, I could just imagine the discontent it may have produced. Geez guys.

So Archie is a universe onto itself, and not related to Mirage continuity whatsoever. So Future Don in Archie is 100% not relevant to Donatello's future in Mirage. Cool. Although, if that's the case, then why is IMAGE usually considered Volume 3 of Mirage? Not really fair, and so, TMNT canon is truly subjective. Moving on.

Last edited by Donnie; 07-14-2017 at 03:37 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:42 PM   #30
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Although, if that's the case, then why is IMAGE usually considered Volume 3 of Mirage? Not really fair, and so, TMNT canon is truly subjective. Moving on.
Because, when Image started writing and publishing TMNT comics, it was a continuation of the Mirage continuity, hence why it's called Volume 3 and Mirage's 2001 continuation of the comic is called Volume 4.

It looks like you don't quite get what "canon" is, so here's the wiki link.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_(fiction)

To put it in other comparisons. Mirage is like Marvel's 616 universe, while IDW's comic is like Marvel's Ultimate Universe. Same character but different universes. Like, the 1990 movie is not in canon/continuity with Mirage comics. It's also like DC's Earth 1 and Earth 2.

Last edited by Candy Kappa; 07-14-2017 at 03:55 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 05:34 PM   #31
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Quote:
So Archie is a universe onto itself, and not related to Mirage continuity whatsoever. So Future Don in Archie is 100% not relevant to Donatello's future in Mirage. Cool. Although, if that's the case, then why is IMAGE usually considered Volume 3 of Mirage? Not really fair, and so, TMNT canon is truly subjective. Moving on.
you're welcome.

when Mirage Vol. 2 (1993-1995) concluded, the Image Comics run of Tmnt was for all intents and purposes was a continuation of the Mirage series. (hence the vol. 3 titling)

long after the Image run ended, Peter Laird decided to start up Mirage Tmnt comics again.
he opted to wipe the slate clean and write-off the Image run as non-canon.
Old 07-15-2017, 01:26 AM   #32
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

While peter view Vol3 as non-canon with some Vol1 issues as well, he still made a long time period jump where Vol4 starts and as far as I know there's not much that contradicts the events and stories Vol3, it's just not referenced in Vol4.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:28 AM   #33
Donnie
Something from the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
It looks like you don't quite get what "canon" is, so here's the wiki link.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_(fiction)
I'm not sure if you are trying to be insulting or helpful by providing me a link to an unreliable source, but I am well aware of what canon is.

TMNT canon is clearly not as clear-cut as most people here would like to believe. I understand that Archie TMNT is Archie TMNT canon. But, Mirage TMNT continuity is not so easily defined. The reason is, as was stated, you have 1/2 of the creators of the TMNT -- Peter Laird -- denying that Image is canon. If PL denies that it's canon, that means that Mirage TMNT canon is subjective. It is up to the individual viewer, or in this case, creator, to decide what he deems official Mirage TMNT canon. Just because he doesn't contradict the events of Image in V4 does not mean he intended it to have happened. Now, if you want to say "okay, it's PL, so for him there is an exception. No exceptions for non-creators. Image is Mirage TMNT canon," then, that's fine. To each his/her own. Look, I'm derailing my own thread at this point, so I will refrain from commenting on this issue further.

As far as Donatello being the last Turtle standing - I know we get glimpses of it throughout Mirage. But, do you guys think the writers of TMNT will ever create an alternate timeline that specifically deviates from the future as painted by Mirage? Kind of like X-Men did in the new movies, erased everything that happened previously by changing the course of history. I wonder if TMNT will ever be given this sort of treatment. With characters like Fugitoid, it isn't out of the realm of possibilities. And if it's been done already in IDW, I apologize, I am quite behind on the current series.
Edit: I am specifically asking about the future which leaves Donatello the last one standing, I know that Renet has taken the TMNT on their fair share of time traveling adventures.

Last edited by Donnie; 07-16-2017 at 08:36 AM.